Softcopies of bluray 3D movies? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-05-2017, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Softcopies of bluray 3D movies?

Hello all,

I have just joined the 3D home-projecting community as I've unboxed my new projector and computer yesterday.

Both of these wonders work amazingly but I have one big issue! My computer does not have a CD/DVD player. So my question is: is there a way to buy legal, soft-copy versions of 3D movies?.

Alternatively, I did give it a try (even if i need to wait a few more days to receive the 3D DLP glasses) with a .mp4 movie (most likely not legit) but it was just a split-view, meaning I lose half the resolution right?

I am very new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

Here are some quick specs to help you help me:

Projector: BenQ W1090 DLP 3D

Computer: CPU: HP OMEN / i5 (7th gen) / GPU: GTX 1050 (4GB) / RAM: 8GB DDR4 / Storage: 1 To + 128GB SSD

Thanks a lot for any help provided!

Kind regards,
Belouch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-05-2017, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Non that I know of. Some streaming services had or still have some 3D selections but I know for sure Netflix drop theirs, but they also never supported those options on a PC as most streaming services are limited or crippled on PC. You could add a Blu Ray player to your PC for +/- $50 but you would also need to to buy software to play copy protected Blu Rays. A 3D standalone Blu Ray player that will have apps for streaming services that still have some 3D selections and play 3D Blu Ray are available for $50 on up. 3D Blu Rays can be rented from 3Dblurayrental.com or purchased locally.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 5 Old 04-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There are some clips here and there on the internet, but for full movies, I do not know any good quality source other than BluRay3D.
At first I tried using my Computer's BluRay player for 3D movies. I've had so many compatibility issues and bugs that I bought a stand alone Sony BluRay3D player (BDP S4500/S5500, I picked the cheaper S4500 without Wifi). Never had any issues with it.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #4 of 5 Old 04-06-2017, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Yeah, a good 3d Blu-Ray player can be had for less than the PC playback software (which you have to upgrade every few years as support ends).
post #5 of 5 Old 04-07-2017, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Yes, you can buy 3D movies from VUDU.com. Go to their site and enter 2D/3D in their search option and you will see lots of the 3D movies you can rent or buy. If you buy, they will keep the movie in their library, but you "own" it and can watch (stream) it at any time. You can find all the 3D to rent by just entering 3D in the search option. Some 2D movies show up because they have 3D in their name, but will see all the 3D they have and it's quite extensive.

That said, the best way to stream is through a 3D bluray player, and there are some inexpensive Sony players that can stream 3D for less than $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page