Help Converting 3D Blu-Ray to MKV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 04-19-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
3840x1036, yes it's 1.85 AR that's the difference, I'm trying this same disc out myself to see what the results are. I'm using top/bottom full and CRF of 20. I've been compressing for quite awhile and I don't see any difference myself with compression and as long as I have the disc for backup, I can make changes later if needed. There isn't a direct passthru mode with 3D so there is compression going on always even if set to 0, but 0 will give the least compression.

The 3 disc version contains a 2d only disc for 2d. On the 3D disc there is the base view (left) and dependent view (right) for MVC. Some discs allow you to play in 2D as well on a single disc but not all. If you're going to rip the 2D version I would use the 2D disc as the 3d disc base view can be different for 3D than 2D.

So yes, this is taking a really long time. I hadn't tested h.265 out in DVDfab yet but I have in handbrake and it generally takes twice as long. Showing 7 hours to encode and this is on a 12-core 3.33ghz mac pro and I think it's using all cores last I checked in settings. Averaging 7fps while encoding. I think I may stop it and test what I have and see how it plays to my 4K display.

I do have a USB 3.0 slot on my LG, it's a 2014 model but I haven't tried it yet. Trying to remember what I have that's 3.0 for storage. A big 4 bay 2.5" enclosure, drives are too slow 5400 RPM. I think I'll just try running it normal from edit computer. It usually plays 4K fine as long as file is on local SSD.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 04-19-2017, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Keep in mind, I prefer SOE (motion interpolation) and it's on for every source.
Oh no!!!! You're one of those guys?!?!? haha I abhor that SOE look... So I was testing the movie even without that extra compensation by the TV. Still looked amazing!
post #33 of 37 Old 04-19-2017, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodfrodo View Post
Oh no!!!! You're one of those guys?!?!? haha I abhor that SOE look... So I was testing the movie even without that extra compensation by the TV. Still looked amazing!
I didn't open the SOE door to start a debate about it. I have my reasons and don't know what yours are but it doesn't matter. Just pointing out the difference between 1 vs. 2 pass discussed here and my take that can stand to be corrected if warranted.

post #34 of 37 Old 04-19-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tired the resulting 10 percent clip, I canceled the rip as I don't want to wait 7 hours for it to finish. For some reason it stutters on playback from my edit station. I can play normal 4k fine, it might be the h.265 render requiring more processing. I tried this awhile back and had the same results with h.264 render though. For some reason I get stuttering with top/bottom full from DVDfab. When I create top/bottom 4K from Vegas Pro, I don't and regular 2D 4K plays fine as long as the files are local on SSD.

post #35 of 37 Old 04-19-2017, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I didn't open the SOE door to start a debate about it. I have my reasons and don't know what yours are but it doesn't matter. Just pointing out the difference between 1 vs. 2 pass discussed here and my take that can stand to be corrected if warranted.
Yeah, to each his own, I say! (Unless you're married - then it's all about compromise...) I don't know enough about the difference between what the TV does versus 2nd pass of encoding... What I do know is that Cable uses heavy compression for their "HD" stuff and my TV (without SOE stuff on) is not able to compensate for that. Someone else here might know more about if the TV can do on the fly anything near what is done in encoding - I wouldn't think that would be possible, but I really have no idea. But since I use the highest quality output possible, the encoding isn't doing much compression at all so in those cases, I don't think there's much left for the TV to do other then upscaling to 4k...
post #36 of 37 Old 04-19-2017, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
For some reason I get stuttering with top/bottom full from DVDfab. When I create top/bottom 4K from Vegas Pro, I don't .
Just out of curiosity, have you tried it with SBS? When I was doing my research, what I seemed to have gotten is that if you're doing half-size then t/b or sbs can make a difference depending on display, but if you're doing full-size, it doesn't make a difference.
post #37 of 37 Old 04-19-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is only for full resolution encodes in top/bottom, half res isn't a problem on playback with DVDfab encodes, just full which is odd because I can play back full 4K resolution just fine. I think it's something to do with the DVDfab encodes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
3d blu-ray , 3d converting , 3d mkv , 3d rip , 3d ripping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page