Acer H6502BD projector Nvidia 3D Vision no joy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-2017, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Acer H6502BD projector Nvidia 3D Vision no joy

Hi, After many days of research and reinstalling drivers, I am desperate for help. I hope this is the right forum?

Goal: Get Nvidia 3D Vision to work with my PC and Acer projector. (2D and audio works fine, btw.)

Equipment

Mobo: Asus P6T (does not have any HDMI out)
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Ti (has 1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort, 1 DVI-D)
Projector ("PJ"): Acer H6502BD (is listed on Nvidia website as a supported PJ. Does not have 3-pin input for VESA sync cable)
3D Vision 2: glasses, emitter with USB cable (also I have but don't know where to use 3-pin VESA sync cable)
Connections: GTX 750 Ti via HDMI out --> high speed HDMI cable (without ethernet) --> Acer H6502BD PJ via HDMI in (no other monitors or media devices are connected)
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (updated two days ago with Designer update?, I think it said "welcome to Designer update" or something.)
Nvidia Driver: 384.76, full, clean install
Also: Avast antivirus, Windows Firewall. I do not have EVGA Precision X (afaik).

System State
  • Open Windows Device Manager, under Monitors: shows one Generic PnP Monitor. (see Fix 3 below)
  • Open Windows Sound, Playback Devices: shows H6502BD-C, Nvidia High Definition Audio, Ready (audio does work, btw)
  • Open Windows Settings, under Display: does not list any named monitor, but has available resolutions up to 1920x1080 (Recommended).
  1. Under Multiple Displays, "3D Display mode" there is a toggle switch currently set to "Off."
  2. When I toggle it On, then there are resolutions including 1920x1080 (Recommended, 3D) , and 1280x720 (3D),
  • Open NVIDIA Control Panel, under Change Resolution: shows one display, Acer H6502BD.
  1. Three resolution groups are available: "PC," "Ultra HD, HD, SD" and "HD 3D." Each group lists available resolutions.
  2. The "Ultra HD, HD, SD" group has up to 1080p 1920x1080 (native) but Refresh Rate maximum 60Hz. No resolution in this group will go above 60Hz.
  3. The "HD 3D" group has only resolutions of 1080p 1920x1080 @ 23Hz or 24Hz, and 720p 1280x720 @ 50hz, 59Hz, 60Hz.
  4. The "PC" group goes up to 1440x900 @ 60Hz. There is a PC resolution of 1280x720 that does 120Hz.
  • Open NVIDIA Control Panel, under Set up stereoscopic 3D: the listed "Stereoscopic 3D display types" dropdown only shows "3D TV Play" and "HDMI Checkerboard."
  • Acer H6502BD has its own on-screen Menu. Select menu group "3D", then:
  1. 3D is "On"
  2. 3D Format is "Auto" (options are Frame Packing, Side by Side, Top and Bottom, Frame Sequential and Field Sequential).
  3. 24P 3D has options for 96Hz and 144Hz
Fix 1: Update/Reinstall Nvidia Drivers
I reinstalled Nvidia drivers from download as well as via website and Geforce Experience. Select "Custom" install and checkbox for "Clean installation." Open NVIDIA Control Panel, under Set up stereoscopic 3D click Setup Wizard The setup for Nvidia 3D TV Play begins and walks through 3D TV set up with instructions to ensure my glasses are connected to the TV. Then the image with the (blue?) hexagons and (orange?) triangles comes up. No joy. Only once did the set up for Nvidia 3D Vision come up, but only for an instant.

Fix 2: DDU Clean Uninstall

I downloaded and ran DDU v17.0.6.7.exe, then reinstalled Nvidia drivers. No joy.

Fix 3: EDID Override inf
  1. I downloaded and ran Monitor Asset Manager, which listed my PJ model.
  2. I selected "Create INF."
  3. In Device Manger, I updated driver of Generic PnP Monitor using the "Have Disk" method. But first had to force Win10 to allow driver with unsigned certificate.
    1. Restart Windows 10, Windows button, Power icon, Shift+Restart, blah blah, disable unsigned certificates enforcement (or whatever).
  4. After reboot Device Manager, under Monitor, now shows Acer H6502BD (EDID Override...) I can't remember exactly what it said.
  5. Open NVIDIA Control Panel and Set up stereoscopic 3D click Setup Wizard.
  6. No joy, still 3D TV Play comes up and Wizard crashes.(Reinstall of Nvidia drivers actual reset the Device Manager back to Generic PnP Monitor!)

Fix 1,000,000,000:
Since I've tried so many things, and didn't take notes, I can't get them all straight.
  • Obviously, I tried every permutation of available resolutions at 60Hz and 120Hz wherever available in Windows Settings (Display) and NVIDIA Control Panel and the PJ menu. Rebooting constantly. I would appreciate some guidance in this area.
  • I tried unplugging the power cord to the PJ and PC, waiting a few minutes, replugging and turning on one then the other in order.
  • I tried unplugging the emitter and reinstalling the drivers and replugging the emitter.
  • At some point Geforce 3D Vision Setup Wizard kept crashing. I actually cannot get it to run now. Open NVIDIA Control Panel, go to Stereoscopic 3D, click "Run Setup Wizard." I have tried this with every permutation of available resolutions, with the Windows Setting toggle for Multiple Displays, "3D Display mode" both On and Off.

If anyone can give me a very specific set of instructions, I'd appreciate it. I will post my final solution here.

Help me AVS Forum users, you're my only hope...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-06-2017, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I had a quick look at your projector's specs and user's manual from Acer's website.
I couldn't find any advertising of the 3D Vision compatibility.
The 3D manual is a common document for all 3D projectors regardless if they work with the 3D Vision scheme or not.
In the projector's 3D menu, there should be a specific mode for Nvidia 3D Vision.

However, according to the specific manual for your projector, the special Nvidia part is missing.
If this is correct, then your projector appears to be a regular 3D projector using the hdmi1.4 scheme, and not the 3D Vision scheme.
If it is indeed the case, then I do not know why your projector is filed as compatible with 3D Vision on the NVidia website, it should be 3DTV play only.

You'll need to setup the NVidia drivers to use the 3DTV Play scheme (1080p24 or 720p60).
The 3D Vision glasses are useless with this projector, you need DLP-link glasses. However the 3D Vision emitter does have some use, it acts as an unlock key for 3DTV Play.
A very expensive key though..., it's supposed to be a perk for people who already own a 3D monitor and want to buy an extra 3DTV or 3D Projector.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #3 of 4 Old 07-06-2017, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you BlackShark! I greatly appreciate the research you did. I should have posted links in my original post.

I agree with everything you said, namely:
  1. Acer's specs page for my H6502BD says nothing about Nvidia 3D Vision.
  2. Acer's support manual for this PJ and for Acer 3D generally say nothing about Nvidia 3D Vision, while other manuals do.
  3. Nvidia lists this as a supported projector.
  4. Nvidia Control Panel and 3D Vision Setup Wizard are only seeing a 3DTV Play device.
  5. Ownership of the 3D Vision 2 emitter means I do not have to purchase 3DTV Play software separately.
Of course, the 3D Vision Setup Wizard crashes for me anyway, so still no joy.

I have been weary of contacting tech support for Nvidia or Acer. Based on other posts they are zero help and give misinformation.

For the benefit of other kind researchers: here are the aforementioned useful links. (I am too new a user on this forum and not allowed to create hyperlinks. Sorry! You have to add the usual url stuff before each)
  • Acer H6502BD projector specs page: acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/MR.JN111.008
  • Acer H6502BD projector and 3D manuals (there are no drivers): acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6710?b=1
  • Nvidia 3D Vision supported projectors: nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requirements.html

post #4 of 4 Old 07-07-2017, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It was not clear on your first post that your original issue was crashing. I thought it was just not working, and then you made it crash with all the fix attempts.
I do not know why the 3D Vision wizard keeps crashing.
But I can assure you the EDID override does not help, especially in the way you've been creating it : the whole point of the EDID override is to modify by hand the display's characteristics to force a specific feature on or off, not to reinstall your current display characteristics over itself.
The Generic Plug&play monitor thing is the normal way of Windows listing displays. (it means your display's characteristics have been auto-detected and windows applies the standard resolutions and refresh rates specified by the display's manufacturer).

Once you have uninstalled the EDID override, if it keeps crashing, then I'm not sure where your issue lies. Is it a software issue with the wizard or is it is display driver issue when the wizard asks to activate the 3D mode ?
Unplug the 3D Vision emitter and try running the Wizard with the red/blue anaglyph mode on a regular 2D display (3D Vision discover mode) and see if the wizard still crashes.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Last edited by BlackShark; 07-07-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
acer h6502bd dlp projector , Nvidia , nvidia 3d vision , windows 10

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page