Are we done with 3D or something new is coming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlackShark

post #1 of 22 Old 07-12-2017, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Are we done with 3D or something new is coming

I'm sure its been asked before but can someone with knowledge on the subject explain to me if 3D is dead on the home theater or is it dead for now and there is some type of new 3D coming?

I love 3D on my JVC RS520 and would hate for it to disappear for another 20 years..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-12-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
No one knows, really. I think that 3D in the home will continue for years but new flat panels aren't being released as of this year, just projectors. Theaters will continue with 3D showings but I suspect it will also slow down. The next big thing is glass-free 3D but it's just a little early for mainstream.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/12/mi...-more-popular/

Cameron wants Avatar sequels to be released in glasses-free 3D, doesn't seem like it will happen in time about 2.5 years from now.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Glasses-free 3D will probably not be used for consumers due to the waste of pixels issue.
Most glasses-free 3D displays use a multi-view system, typically between 9 views and 16 views : meaning for every pixel your eyes see, the display requires a panel with 9 pixels (or 16) on the screen.

This means a brand spanking new 4K display will produce a something similar to a 720p 3D image. The killer is that the 2D quality is the same as the 3D quality.
So if you want to think the other way around : in order to match the quality of a 4K 2D display, you'll need a panel in the 12K to 16K range.

This means that if you want to build an affordable glasses-free system, you'll get a very poor image quality. This display will be unsellable just because of it's awful 2D alone.
If you want to match the 2D image quality of even the basic supermarket 4K TV, you'll need to use an ultra high resolution (12~16K), over the top panel which will make the price unaffordable.

In order to solve the issue, you'll need display manufacturers to make ultra-high resolution displays without any content. Unfortunately, most movies are now already shot on 4K, 5K+ cameras and manufacturers already have fully functional 8K~10K+ prototype cameras. So this is an unwinnable scenario.
As soon as new higher resolution panels will be available, TV and movie industry will use the extra resolution for even better 2D content and you're stuck again with a glasses-free 3D display with awful 2D. It's a vicious circle.
jorgebetancourt likes this.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #4 of 22 Old 07-12-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't seen the IZON glasses-free in person but supposedly they render 3D in 4K resolution, so pixel counts of 8K or higher may not be required. Someone on here has an early production Ultra-D model, maybe they can fill us in on resolution, is it really 720p or can they deliver full HD?

post #5 of 22 Old 07-12-2017, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
No one knows, really. I think that 3D in the home will continue for years but new flat panels aren't being released as of this year, just projectors. Theaters will continue with 3D showings but I suspect it will also slow down. The next big thing is glass-free 3D but it's just a little early for mainstream.

Cameron wants Avatar sequels to be released in glasses-free 3D, doesn't seem like it will happen in time about 2.5 years from now.
I read this article on Engadget today interesting but this mean i will need to buy a new projector eventually..
I always enjoyed 3D at the theater but when I got my JVC with 3D I became obsessed with it, I truly really enjoy it.. Just the other day I watched the Martian in 4k to see if I enjoy it more than the 3D version and it wasn't the case.. I think 3D is way more engaging..

Just when I got into the 3D game...
post #6 of 22 Old 07-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Both IZON and Ultra-D websites are very clear : in both cases, the panel is 3840x2160 resolution.
Since all points of views come from that panel, the visible resolution is therefore lower.

A quick reminder : when a camera or display manufacturer mentions a resolution, it is ALWAYS the physical panel's resolution. It has NOTHING TO DO with the final image seen by the viewer.

A camera with a 20Mpixel sensor and a crap optic which can only resolve 10Mpixels is still called a 20Mpixel camera.
An HDV camcorder with a 1440x1080i anamorphic resolution (stretched pixels) is still called a FullHD camcorder.
A passive FPR 3DTV with a 1920x1080 panel, which shows 1920x540 per eye with the glasses on is still called a 1080p FullHD 3DTV.

There is no reason for Izon and Ultra-D to change the rules of how resolutions are labelled.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Last edited by BlackShark; 07-12-2017 at 03:53 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 22 Old 07-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
I read this article on Engadget today interesting but this mean i will need to buy a new projector eventually..
I always enjoyed 3D at the theater but when I got my JVC with 3D I became obsessed with it, I truly really enjoy it.. Just the other day I watched the Martian in 4k to see if I enjoy it more than the 3D version and it wasn't the case.. I think 3D is way more engaging..

Just when I got into the 3D game...
The multi-view technology is almost impossible to apply to projectors because it requires the complex optics layer to be perfectly lined up with the pixels.
Not only would it be insanely hard to match the pixels perfectly, it would totally defeat the whole point of using a projector.

Passive 3D, forever !

post #9 of 22 Old 07-12-2017, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think we have to worry about glass-free projectors anytime soon so I wouldn't worry about having to upgrade for awhile, it will launch in theaters first and that is still years away, then find it's way to home theater. I would say we're in for a wait, like 2025 at the earliest, if that. I would either keep what you have or upgrade if you want something better.

They're still making 1080p 3D projectors which is all you need for 3D, so nothing to worry about yet if you prefer projectors. Personally, I think 1080p is really good enough for movies and find the 3D more immersive like you, if I had to choose between 4K and 3D. Of course if you want 4K too they are dropping 4K with 3D projectors, this might be the last year for them and they're really pricey, so best option is to stack or mount side by side 1080p 3D projector with a 4K projector.

post #10 of 22 Old 07-14-2017, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
James Cameron has said his next Avatar would be shown in glasses-free 3D. He is working with Christie Digital to accomplish that. That said, the technology will only be in a few theaters at best because of the cost. Theaters barely make enough now to maintain their equipment, so I can't see any chain upgrading to something so predictively expensive. Plus, to preserve the correct 3D perspective, the seating will have to be limited to a specific set of seats each arranged to capture a the correct L/R image. Seriously, is having to wear passive polarized glasses that much of an issue? Glasses free will have its own set of issues, and not everyone will adapt to it. Nothing will be a perfect solution.
post #11 of 22 Old 07-16-2017, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just hope they keep bringing out blu rays in 3D, I'm one that keeps buying them. Heck I even pre ordered King Arthur from amazon.

Samsung 3D UN65H7150 UH02;MediaLight Quad Bias Light;Yamaha RX-A2070BL 5.2.4 Atmos/DTSX
Def Tech Promonitor 1000 Def Tech Procenter 2000
Def Tech Promonitor 800 ceilings and surrounds;AC Infinity Aircom T8 Cooling System.
ProSub 800-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray-Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony One;PlayStation 4 gaming
post #12 of 22 Old 07-19-2017, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11abee View Post
I just hope they keep bringing out blu rays in 3D, I'm one that keeps buying them. Heck I even pre ordered King Arthur from amazon.
The bad thing is more and more of them are not available from US retailers. My last 2 3D Blu's were imports.

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-19-2017, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post
This means a brand spanking new 4K display will produce a something similar to a 720p 3D image. The killer is that the 2D quality is the same as the 3D quality.

So if you want to think the other way around : in order to match the quality of a 4K 2D display, you'll need a panel in the 12K to 16K range.
Conversely, once you can get 16K wall-paper OLEDs, the difference in 2D quality between 4K and 16K is tiny, so you might as well use that 16K for something useful: namely, exploiting stereopsis which is such a powerful evolutionary trait that virtually all living organisms have it.

To answer the OP: We will be done with 3D only once we, as a species, decide that stereo vision is not necessary, so our own displays should never have it either, so we might as well go poking out one of our eyes and bump into things.

It's threads like this which make me sad for the human race, I don't mean that to be insulting but there is so much ignorance out there regarding 3D and the important of depth perception, that it makes me mourn the lack of scientific literacy on a site with the word "science" in its title.

I mean, seriously, you're not allowed to get a driver's license if you can't see in 3D. So why should we want virtually 100% of all our displays to never exploit depth perception?

And in the era of VR and AR which is exploding right now. We need glasses-free 3D with enough brightness and high framerate and high dynamic range to make all people's prior complaints to disappear. And then we will finally reach "nirvana" in display tech. Low framerate 3D I agree should die. That's a big part of what makes 3D headache inducing, because 24 fps makes the illusion break down. Not to mention very dim, double images / ghosting from 3D glasses, not being able to tilt your head, poor extinction ratios (under 1000:1 contrast ratio between eyes) makes you see ghost images. All these problems can be fixed (6P laser 3D fixes polarization cross-talk 100%, since there is no screen which perfectly preserves polarity).
post #14 of 22 Old 07-19-2017, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I mean, seriously, you're not allowed to get a driver's license if you can't see in 3D. So why should we want virtually 100% of all our displays to never exploit depth perception?
I've known people with only one usable eye that drive.

I'm not sure I see 24p as a big problem with 3D, it doesn't appear any dimmer than 30 or 60p to me, granted there is more judder with fast movement, but I don't see that's what's causing dimming or ghosting though. Ghosting has more to do with the latency of the pixels and is display-related. it's possible to get too much parallax in a shot and that will stress most displays.

When I shoot in 24p I tend to keep things very still. And I still see judder with 60p with fast movement like cars moving by, it's much less than 24p but it's still there, so we would need about 120p to make things as smooth as possible. I don't see that happening right away. They've allowed for it in the latest HDMI spec, I guess that's a start.

The industry for movies is 24p and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I think it would be good for some movies but overall the cinema standards are pretty much set in stone, aside from a few directors, it doesn't seem to be enough to change hardware at least in the home theater and it hasn't so far. The last HFR movie I saw was the Hobbit years ago, haven't seen anything else since and my views on it were pretty mixed. Fast scenes it helped, slower scenes it made things look odd. Did it help? Not really. Maybe if they had used 60p it would be more effective and the improvement would stand out more.

post #15 of 22 Old 07-20-2017, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11abee View Post
This probably gets said a lot, but I haven't been visiting here for a while due to tech problems: I really wish they woud just release 3D discs by themselves. Man, I love my 3D...
post #16 of 22 Old 07-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Perhaps that is true where you reside. Where I reside in Australia, testing of vision for driving is limited to testing acuity, not stereopsis. Being blind in one eye does not prevent someone passing the vision test.

But I would agree with your broader point that human beings do see real life in 3D. It is inevitable that display systems will need to be able to provide 3D, and research into improved means of displaying 3D will inevitably continue.

Quote:
Low framerate 3D I agree should die. That's a big part of what makes 3D headache inducing, because 24 fps makes the illusion break down.
I recall James Cameron being reported as saying something along the lines that 3D reveals the shortcomings of 24fps more than 2D. That is my own personal experience. My vision becomes more active when the image is in 3D, and the blurring and staccato qualities of 24fps cinematography do seem to become more apparent and get in the way. I very much enjoyed the 48fps 3D of the Hobbit trilogy and found it a distinct improvement over 24fps.

Quote:
not being able to tilt your head
Just to clarify:

At a RealD cinema or with a typical passive 3D TV you can tilt your head and the crosstalk remains the same. The polarisation used at a Real D cinema or with a typical passive 3D TV is circular (clockwise vs anticlockwise) not linear (vertical vs horizontal).

As for active glasses, tilting the head similarly has no effect on the level of crosstalk.

Of course 3D cinema is not designed for people to lie down as if about to go to sleep, but then as human beings we have great difficulty in perceiving 2D images if we are lying down with our head at 90 degrees to the vertical, unless the 2D display device image is rotated to match.

Quote:
All these problems can be fixed (6P laser 3D fixes polarization cross-talk 100%, since there is no screen which perfectly preserves polarity).
6-Primary laser 3D sidesteps polarisation problems by using somewhat different wavelengths of light to differentiate the left image from the right image [similar to Dolby Vision]. I suspect some crosstalk will arise from imperfect filtering of wavelengths in the 3D glasses used in a 6-P laser equipped theatre but I haven't seen any figures quoted. Has anyone else seen a figure quoted for this?

Last edited by MLXXX; 07-23-2017 at 05:32 AM. Reason: typo
post #17 of 22 Old 07-23-2017, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXX View Post
6-Primary laser 3D sidesteps polarisation problems by uses somewhat different wavelengths of light to differentiate the left image from the right image [similar to Dolby Vision]. I suspect some crosstalk will arise from imperfect filtering of wavelengths in the 3D glasses used in a 6-P laser equipped theatre but I haven't seen any figures quoted. Has anyone else seen a figure quoted for this?
The system is similar to Dolby3D, The advantage of using specially tuned lasers instead of conventional projectors is to save on power consumption (No light loss a the projector level), and hardware (no need to slide filters in and out of the light path to switch between 2D and 3D, the projector already outputs the the correct type of light)
Apart from that, they behave exactly the same as Dolby3D.

I have never tried Dolby3D but I do own a filter system from one of it's competitor : Omega Optical.
Crosstalk is excellent, it's totally invisible except if you turn your head far away from the screen and look at the screen through the far corner of the lenses.

But this system has a 2 drawbacks :
- the color is affected by the chosen wavelength, so each projector has a different gammut, requiring a special color correction for each eye.
- the narrow-band color glasses filters are reflective. (that is the biggest issue because it has massive consequences outside the projector itself)

Any ambient light that bounces on your face will create reflections inside the glasses and you will see a mirror reflection of your own eyes !
It's distracting, and it destroys any contrast (your eyes are mostly white, your black levels will be destroyed)
Solutions :
- Bat cave style black walls and ceilings (dead on arrival for 99% people)
- Big fat ugly and heavy mask-style glasses (Expensive and dorky as hell, forget about it)

Passive 3D, forever !

Last edited by BlackShark; 07-23-2017 at 04:31 AM.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-23-2017, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
At a RealD cinema or with a typical passive 3D TV you can tilt your head and the crosstalk remains the same. The polarisation used at a Real D cinema or with a typical passive 3D TV is circular (clockwise vs anticlockwise) not linear (vertical vs horizontal).

As for active glasses, tilting the head similarly has no effect on the level of crosstalk.

Of course 3D cinema is not designed for people to lie down as if about to go to sleep, but then as human beings we have great difficulty in perceiving 2D images if we are lying down with our head at 90 degrees to the vertical, unless the 2D display device image is rotated to match.
Tilting your head on stereo content creates vertical misalignment you brain cannot fuse.
Only a few degrees of tilt are enough to completely break the 3D effect, or create headaches for people who force their vision to try and fuse the images.

The circular polarisation of RealD isn't here to allow people to tilt their heads, it's there to keep a constant quality across the entire population regardless of people's face morphology. (most people don't have their eyes and ears perfectly on the same level, they will wear the glasses slightly sideways, but it won't affect crosstalk).

Passive 3D, forever !

post #19 of 22 Old 07-23-2017, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
I have never tried Dolby3D but I do own a filter system from one of it's competitor : Omega Optical.
Crosstalk is excellent, it's totally invisible except if you turn your head far away from the screen and look at the screen through the far corner of the lenses.

But this system has a 2 drawbacks :
- the color is affected by the chosen wavelength, so each projector has a different gammut, requiring a special color correction for each eye.
- the narrow-band color glasses filters are reflective. (that is the biggest issue because it has massive consequences outside the projector itself)

Any ambient light that bounces on your face will create reflections inside the glasses and you will see a mirror reflection of your own eyes !
It's distracting, and it destroys any contrast (your eyes are mostly white, your black levels will be destroyed)
Solutions :
- Bat cave style black walls and ceilings (dead on arrival for 99% people)
- Big fat ugly and heavy mask-style glasses (Expensive and dorky as hell, forget about it)
The reflections do sound like a significant problem.

Quote:
Tilting your head on stereo content creates vertical misalignment you brain cannot fuse.
Only a few degrees of tilt are enough to completely break the 3D effect, or create headaches for people who force their vision to try and fuse the images.
In my own case I am not conscious of any "complete break" in the 3D effect from tilting my head by "a few degrees".

That may be your experience (and could be the experience of a small percentage of 3D cinema patrons at a RealD cinema). It's not something one sees reported very often as a reason for cinema goers not enjoying their 3D at a RealD cinema. In fact off hand I cannot recall any report of a complete break in 3D effect from tilting the head a few degrees in a RealD cinema.

I do recall complaints from people wishing to lie down on their sides on the floor or on a couch (possibly supporting their head with a pillow) and not being able to experience 3D properly when watching their TV screen. But that would involve a large angle of tilt of the head from the upright position.

(I had assumed RLBURNSIDE may have been referring to the large increase in cross-talk that occurs with linearly polarised glasses if the head is tilted by more than a few degrees from the vertical.)

Last edited by MLXXX; 07-23-2017 at 05:17 AM.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-23-2017, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That may be your experience (and could be the experience of a small percentage of 3D cinema patrons at a RealD cinema). It's not something one sees reported very often as a reason for cinema goers not enjoying their 3D at a RealD cinema. In fact off hand I cannot recall any report of a complete break in 3D effect from tilting the head a few degrees in a RealD cinema.

I do recall complaints from people wishing to lie down on their side of the floor or on a couch (possibly supporting their head with a pillow) and not being able to experience 3D properly when watching their TV screen. But that would involve a large angle of tilt of the head from the upright position.

(I had assumed RLBURNSIDE may have been referring to the large increase in cross-talk that occurs with linearly polarised glasses if the head is tilted by more than a few degrees from the vertical.)
If you use a passive 3DTV, the glasses work exactly in the same way as Dolby3D cinemas.
The biggest difference is in the surrounding environment.

At the cinema, you are sitting in an individual seat with solid armrests on both sides.
Most cinema seats don't have any head support (blocks the view of people behind if the seat is empty, requires steeper steps between rows and reduces the number of rows available).

The seat encourages the viewer to sit up right. There is no incentive for the viewer to tilt their head more than the few critical degrees where 3D stereo works.

The situation at home is the complete opposite.
The wide sofa encourages lateral use, especially in a private environment. A large amount of sofas have wide and soft ending arm/head rests and/or pillows.
It encourages you to sit in any way you want.

There is also the money aspect. At the cinema, you pay per show, so you'd better keep your eyes open throughout the movie. At home, you have bought the BluRay, you can watch that movie again later, or you may already have seen it and can take a nap while your friends watch until the one scene you really like and want to see again.

Passive 3D, forever !

post #21 of 22 Old 07-31-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
I'm sure its been asked before but can someone with knowledge on the subject explain to me if 3D is dead on the home theater or is it dead for now and there is some type of new 3D coming?

I love 3D on my JVC RS520 and would hate for it to disappear for another 20 years..
BRING BACK CINERAMA! The most immersive movie format of any era. We still have Cinerama ready theaters scattered all over the country. Back in the late 50's - early 60's the technology at the time somewhat hampered the experience - but with everything digital these days - it could be applied fairly easily. I'm not talking about 70mm film - which was sometime labeled Cinerama, but the three camera, three projector playback to a 150' wide curved ( 146° ) screen that matched the curvature of the human eye.

In Cinerama theaters the best seats are in the first 20 rows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinerama

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-D3
PIONEER ELITE VSX-90 | APPLETV 4K | SAMSUNG K8500
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.3.18.1:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post54599532
post #22 of 22 Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i think regular 3d is coming slowly to an end.

i think the plan with having 3d withouth glasses is possible, but having that at home is a thing of the future. as long as that wont be possible, there will still be 3d tv's and projectors as well as 3d glasses on the market. but i think things will change in about 5 - 10 years.

virtual reality is the new thing. maybe we will all watch movies with vr headsets in 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page