Can I trick a Blu-ray player to show 3D? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Whitfield

post #1 of 5 Old 09-10-2017, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can I trick a Blu-ray player to show 3D?

I have bought a new tv without 3D, and that means I have a problem. I have a Geffen kit with HDMI over CAT for my 3D JVC projector, and with that the player doesn't read that there is a 3D capable display in the system. Yesterday I actually fooled it by putting a long power extension cable on the Panasonic Blu-ray player, connecting it directly to the projector, getting into the disk menu (past the 3D check), disconnecting it and carrying it over to it's normal place, where it goes into the receiver, hook up the HDMI there and the normal cable to the projector and starting the movie. It worked flawlessly, so 3D is obviously transmitted over the Geffen kit, it just doesn't see it as 3D capable. Is it possible to trick the player, or do I need a new HDMI over CAT kit? And if I do, will any kit that supports 4K also support 3D in 1080p?

11.4/7.4.4 Wharfedale E-series, Yamaha RX-A3070, JVC DLA-X500 projector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-11-2017, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
From your post I don't know for sure, but with the following I assume you have both the 3D capable JVC projector and your non-3D tv connected (simultaneously) on the 2 hdmi outputs of your receiver (Yamaha RX-A3070).

Now, I don't know how and if the input protocols of the 2 hdmi ouput electronics of your AVR can be configured/edited separately.
If not, then probably the Yamaha will adopt the behaviour of a regular hdmi-switch where 2 or more devices are connected. Namely, it will shift down to the lowest hdmi capabilities, carried by any of the connected devices. As your tv doesn't support 3D, it's my guess the Yammie will adopt HDMI version 1.3. It would be common hdmi-switch behaviour, which is not a fault by the way. It's a "go to the simplest language everybody will understand" kinda thing.

As such there's no way to tell the source (player) to play 3D. Even if it could at the source side, you'll get in trouble with sound also. Feeding 3D video plus audio to a HDMI version 1.3 recipient, audio-data are send via another pin-configuration.

Now, what cable did you use (sorry, but it's a bit confusing to me) when you connected the player directly to the 3D projector and things were fine? Did you mean the Gefen kit or a straight hdmi cable? Just to rule out that the Gefen kit might be the culprit here...
SRTpusher likes this.

Last edited by Whitfield; 09-11-2017 at 12:46 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-14-2017, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Thanks for answering! And no, the new tv is plugged out when I try to get 3D on the projector. And I think the Gefen is the culprit, because through the receiver and the Gefen there's no 3D, but with the short pure HDMI cable (so without the Gefen) between the player and the projector I got 3D working. one of these days I will confirm it by finding one of my 10 m HDMI cables and hook that up to the place where the Gefen get's the feed, and to where the Gefen goes into the projector. And besides there is a regular HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV, which would explain why I had to turn on the old TV to get 3D to the projector. The annoying thing is then that the Gefen kit can show 3D, but it doesn't transmit the "answer" from the projector that says it's 3D capable.

But assuming that the Gefen is the problem, my big question is if any 4K capable HDMI splitter/extender will also transmit 3D.

11.4/7.4.4 Wharfedale E-series, Yamaha RX-A3070, JVC DLA-X500 projector

post #4 of 5 Old 09-14-2017, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Your Gefen kit, is it something like this: ---->hdmi in - Gefen interface - UTP out ---------------> UTP in - Gefen interface - hdmi out ---> ?

First of all, with that Gefen kit, did you try the player directly connected to the projector (so take out the AVR from the chain), to rule out that the combination Gefen kit/AVR might be an issue? (Long shot here...)
Not knowing what type of kit you have or how old it is, I saw pictures on the internet from Gefen kits with dipswitches. Anyways, check out what type/version and features/switches/connections you have and check the manual if maybe something can be set (for example, I have an ATEN HDMI switch that I can configure and operate via serial interface rs232).

For 3D you need HDMI version 1.4 or higher. This is also good for 4K, but note that for higher 4K bitrates/framerates you need HDMI version 2.0. So, to answer if any 4K capable splitter/extender would also be 3D capable, I would say yes. But always check your shop and manufacturer's website/manual. There's a lot of garbage sold out there. Gefen and ATEN are good brands by the way. Not cheap, but good stuff. Also watch for proper return policy, should the device not meet your needs. This can be different for each shop that sells the same product!

Beware though, as you said, a working 3D system can cease to function properly when a non 3D-capable display is connected. You can solve this with a hdmi switch that has EDID control, which are more expensive than regular switches. Did you check your Yamaha manual on the subject maybe?
post #5 of 5 Old 09-15-2017, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
OH MAH GAWD!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

I am having the EXACT same problem with my 3D setup. I can get everything to work when bypassing my AV unit (onkyo nr1030) and have also figured out how to trick the Blu-ray the same way. I had it working correctly once, but then it stopped working. now that I think back, it is when I hooked up other displays to the onkyo.

I am running all of the outputs from the onkyo to multiple displays, only one of which is 3D. the TVs are off, but I wonder if it still can tell they are not 3D... now I want to go home to test this out... only 2 more hours... I was just about to replace all of my cables to eliminate that as a possibility. this HAS to be what happened.

Home Theater / Game Room

110" Elite Screens Spectrum motorized screen - Epson 2030
Atmos 7.2.4 - Onkyo TX-NR1030 - Onkyo M-5010 2ch amp - Fluance XL Fronts, Center and Surrounds, Rear Monoprice 4101 8" kevlar in-wall, Ceiling Yamaha NS-IW280CWH - Subs 2x NXG Technology NX-BAS-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page