How to 3D? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By film113
  • 2 Post By film113
  • 1 Post By teachsac
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 7
How to 3D?

I am setting up a new theater and am interested in possible 3D movies. I do not know where to begin. Here is my set-up.

1- Projector will be Epson 5040
2- Receiver Denon 4300
3- Using PS4 as blu-ray player

Will the PS4 be able to play 3D movies? Do I need a dedicated DVD player? If so, what are the cheapest for value and performance options?

What glasses do I need?
DrUNC83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 09-29-2017, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Anyone able to help?
DrUNC83 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 09-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Member
 
2ndvizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
see my recent message in this forum for 3d glasses to get.
2ndvizio is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 09-29-2017, 12:06 PM
Member
 
GordonTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Only big hiccup is 3D at home is pretty much dead so costs to invest could/will go up. Finding software and equipment will get tougher to find etc.

Good luck in your quest.
GordonTV is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 10-01-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
film113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post
Only big hiccup is 3D at home is pretty much dead so costs to invest could/will go up. Finding software and equipment will get tougher to find .
Uh...no. New PJs with 3D (some 3D/4K) are still coming out. And no one knows what will be on 2018 panels. Regardless, the Epson has 3d so he's all set for years to come.

To the OP: the PS4 has both BD and 3D capabilities so you won't need an additional player.
King Vidiot likes this.

Last edited by film113; 10-01-2017 at 06:05 PM.
film113 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 10-02-2017, 06:11 AM
Member
 
GordonTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
Uh...no. New PJs with 3D (some 3D/4K) are still coming out. And no one knows what will be on 2018 panels. Regardless, the Epson has 3d so he's all set for years to come.

To the OP: the PS4 has both BD and 3D capabilities so you won't need an additional player.
https://www.cnet.com/news/shambling-...lls-down-dead/

https://www.extremetech.com/electron...vr-follow-suit
GordonTV is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 10-02-2017, 07:55 AM
Senior Member
 
brazen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUNC83 View Post
Anyone able to help?

Imo, you haven't received many replies since your question doesn't make much sense? You have the hardware. Put on your glasses and insert a disc. There are many options for home theatre use. Some cost money and some cost none if that's a factor. Some are inconvenient and some are completely automated - a button push from your remote on the couch and away you go.... 3D has never required anything special other than a 3D capable display and player or rip your disc and forego the costly hardware player for a free software player that will perform better.
3D is very much alive in my home. I look forward to all the continued releases for years and years and years and years and years to come. Here's a few slated through 2021. http://cms.pro.boxoffice.com/statist...lease-calendar More to be added. Imo, when HDR, 4k, and possibly 8k are milked and perhaps somewhere in-between, it would make sense 3D displays are 'reintroduced' to a whole new round of new and former buyers to continue the milking with a hint of enhancement added. Cheers to those smart enough to have opted for do it all displays (HDR 10, 3D frame packed, and UHD 4k) while they were still available. Those that continue to whine about 3D have vendettas for not knowing what they were doing and/or ulterior motives. Ignore them and enjoy your experience and all the continued releases.

Last edited by brazen1; 10-02-2017 at 08:03 AM.
brazen1 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 10-02-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
film113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
Uh...no. New PJs with 3D (some 3D/4K) are still coming out. And no one knows what will be on 2018 panels. Regardless, the Epson has 3d so he's all set for years to come.

To the OP: the PS4 has both BD and 3D capabilities so you won't need an additional player.


https://www.cnet.com/news/shambling-...lls-down-dead/

https://www.extremetech.com/electron...vr-follow-suit
These guys (Especially Cnet) have been screaming 3D is dead for years, even when titles were getting 30% market share. SInce they've been on anti-3d vendettas for a long time, I give them zero credibility...on ANY topic.
brazen1 and King Vidiot like this.
film113 is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 10-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
brazen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
These guys (Especially Cnet) have been screaming 3D is dead for years, even when titles were getting 30% market share. SInce they've been on anti-3d vendettas for a long time, I give them zero credibility...on ANY topic.

Cnet says passive 3D (at half resolution) is better than active (at full resolution) and to just sit far away so you won't notice. Wonder how much money that generated and which directions it went? I know many swallowed that bit of intelligence.
brazen1 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 10-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 9,850
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
This thread is not for 3D is dead discussion. There are plenty of those threads to post in and not helpful to the OP.
King Vidiot likes this.
teachsac is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 10-02-2017, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Imo, you haven't received many replies since your question doesn't make much sense? You have the hardware. Put on your glasses and insert a disc. There are many options for home theatre use. Some cost money and some cost none if that's a factor. Some are inconvenient and some are completely automated - a button push from your remote on the couch and away you go.... 3D has never required anything special other than a 3D capable display and player or rip your disc and forego the costly hardware player for a free software player that will perform better.
3D is very much alive in my home. I look forward to all the continued releases for years and years and years and years and years to come. Here's a few slated through 2021. http://cms.pro.boxoffice.com/statist...lease-calendar More to be added. Imo, when HDR, 4k, and possibly 8k are milked and perhaps somewhere in-between, it would make sense 3D displays are 'reintroduced' to a whole new round of new and former buyers to continue the milking with a hint of enhancement added. Cheers to those smart enough to have opted for do it all displays (HDR 10, 3D frame packed, and UHD 4k) while they were still available. Those that continue to whine about 3D have vendettas for not knowing what they were doing and/or ulterior motives. Ignore them and enjoy your experience and all the continued releases.

Thanks!
DrUNC83 is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 10-02-2017, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
brazen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUNC83 View Post
Thanks!
You're welcome. I would refer you to the thread linked in my signature below. Unfortunately, the forum is in the middle of a server relocation and ran into problems predicted back on line within a couple days. Many things are covered in this thread you might find of interest for yourself especially 3D. It's relatively simple and uses techniques worthy of any home theatre imo. I use it and I'm very satisfied after digesting other alternatives.
brazen1 is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 10-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Member
 
King Vidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Pay no attention to that "Gordon" character- he was already banned from another forum for the same anti-3D trolling. It amazes me that some people could hate something so much that others love so much.
King Vidiot is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 10-18-2017, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
RonAlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bloomingdale, Il
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Vidiot View Post
Pay no attention to that "Gordon" character- he was already banned from another forum for the same anti-3D trolling. It amazes me that some people could hate something so much that others love so much.
Its a fake profile also. Mods should ban him from here also
RonAlam is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 10:01 AM
Member
 
rural scribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Laramie, WY
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUNC83 View Post
I am setting up a new theater and am interested in possible 3D movies. I do not know where to begin. Here is my set-up.

1- Projector will be Epson 5040
2- Receiver Denon 4300
3- Using PS4 as blu-ray player

Will the PS4 be able to play 3D movies? Do I need a dedicated DVD player? If so, what are the cheapest for value and performance options?

What glasses do I need?
I am not familiar with the equipment you're getting as far as what kind of glasses you need, or what the options are, but if you don't have a movie screen picked out yet, I'd recommend a high-gain screen, like a Da-Lite 77324, if you can get one.

But as far as cheapest for value and performance options, I have found that ebay is a good source of low-cost 3D bluray movies. You can also rent 3D bluray movies. More on that at the 3d-blurayrental.com forum at this site.

I have also found a lot of 3D bluray movies at pawn shops and thrift stores, mostly in the $4 to $5 range.
rural scribe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off