Projector suggestion for "First-Timer" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-2017, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector suggestion for "First-Timer"

Hi all,

I am happy that I've found the forum where people love 3D!
This is my first post and I would like to ask you for your suggestions on which 3D projector to buy.
After a long research, I stopped on two models: EPSON 2045 and OPTOMA HD 142X.
Since I have no experience with 3D projectors (accept my vintage Stereo Slides projector), please let me know which one of these would be the best choice based on 3D glasses option, image quality and overall performance (or suggest any other models within $500-$700 price range). I am planning to use it for 3D images/DVD viewing, some PC stereo movie making and maybe PS3 3D game playing.
Thank you in advance for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-07-2017, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmroll View Post
Hi all,

I am happy that I've found the forum where people love 3D!
This is my first post and I would like to ask you for your suggestions on which 3D projector to buy.
After a long research, I stopped on two models: EPSON 2045 and OPTOMA HD 142X.
Since I have no experience with 3D projectors (accept my vintage Stereo Slides projector), please let me know which one of these would be the best choice based on 3D glasses option, image quality and overall performance (or suggest any other models within $500-$700 price range). I am planning to use it for 3D images/DVD viewing, some PC stereo movie making and maybe PS3 3D game playing.
Thank you in advance for your input!
I can say that my experience with Optoma 3D projectors (I've owned two - the first was 720P and the second was 1080P) has been very positive.
DLP projection yields a superb 3D image with no crosstalk or double-image issues. From what I've read, the HD142X would be an excellent choice in terms of both quality and value.
One of the advantages of the HD142X is that it supports two ways of displaying 3D: DLP-Link and RF. I've used both. DLP-Link is fine, but RF is better (you get slightly better contrast and never lose 3D sync). You can lose 3D sync with DLP-Link on occasion if you look away from the screen or leave the room (but it's not a major issue at all to get the glasses back in sync).
As you may know, some people see "rainbows" (RBE: Rainbow Effect) on DLP projectors, but no guests have mentioned any problem with RBE in the seven years I've had my projectors.
Regardless of which projector you choose, I'm confident that you are going to love home theater projector 3D.

Last edited by fxrh; 10-07-2017 at 03:59 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-07-2017, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 254
The BenQ HT1070 selling for $499 is the most recommended. It has a fast RGBRGB color wheel so it is less likely to see Rainbows. Much better color brightness over all the entry level Optoma's with a white segment in their 2x wheels.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS

post #4 of 5 Old 10-09-2017, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for suggestions.
I pulled the trigger on OPTOMA projector. It should arrive this week and I will share my opinion about the unit. I also bought two pairs of different brands glasses to see which one works better. Will see what I got very soon!
post #5 of 5 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Filmroll,
'
I was going to give a vote for the Optoma as well but see you already bought it.. I think it is a great projector as I just bought one a week ago myself it is great so far..

I was curious tho to which 3D Glasses you did buy. I also was wondering of you where Prescription glasses or anyone who will be trying on the glasses..

I wear Prescription glasses and bough a pair of Estar RF 3D Glasses. they are ok but not working to well with my Prescription glasses, I may try another RF Branded glasses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
projector suggestion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page