Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3186 Old 06-14-2008, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxning View Post

I have the exact same problem and would love it if some one can help me out. Here's my scenario:

1. I have my PS3 hooked up to the CT-100 via HDMI into the BD input.
2. On my PS3 I have set Audio output on for HDMI out to "Linear PCM"
3. When I play a normal DVD movie which has Dolby 5.1, the CT-100 only shows 2.0ch

*Edit* 4. I also see PL II, PCM, HDMI on the subwoofer

If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

Which LPCM options do you have checked on the audio settings? I can't say for sure, I've never really checked to be 100% positive, but I think when I play a standard 5.1 DD track I get the 5.1 shown on my CT100.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3186 Old 06-14-2008, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxning View Post

I have the exact same problem and would love it if some one can help me out. Here's my scenario:

1. I have my PS3 hooked up to the CT-100 via HDMI into the BD input.
2. On my PS3 I have set Audio output on for HDMI out to "Linear PCM"
3. When I play a normal DVD movie which has Dolby 5.1, the CT-100 only shows 2.0ch

*Edit* 4. I also see PL II, PCM, HDMI on the subwoofer

If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

I agree with Smeg36, you need to check your audio settings for your PS3. My problem with my audio was originating from the DVD player's audio settings, and once I set them right everything else has been working perfectly since. This website page should help you do it:

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...diooutput.html
post #63 of 3186 Old 06-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

Which LPCM options do you have checked on the audio settings? I can't say for sure, I've never really checked to be 100% positive, but I think when I play a standard 5.1 DD track I get the 5.1 shown on my CT100.

I figured it out. I was just looking and setting up the BD/DVD settings instead of looking in the Audio Settings. Silly me, it dawned on me after I read one of your earlier posts about checking settings.

Thanks again!
post #64 of 3186 Old 06-14-2008, 02:00 PM

A quick question, can the CT-100 remote sync with the PS3?
post #65 of 3186 Old 06-14-2008, 05:39 PM

I just bought this. Sounds pretty good. Not AMAZING, but pretty good. I'll try the remote with the ps3 now...

Couldn't figure out how to do it. When I go to the ps3 remote sync it says press the start and enter button at the same time but there is no start button on the remote.
post #66 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 07:56 AM

Well it's been a week already with the ct-100 and so far so good, i think it's gonna be a keeper. I've watched at least 10 movies with it so far and i'm still impressed with this soundbar, i've noticed that with most dvd's it sounds best with the volume set at 35-40. Over the air hd staions in 5.1 dd sound pretty good as well, i really like my ct-100. I've owned a few 5.1 systems over the years but this thing fits my needs perfectly, i'm done with all the clutter of speakers & wires in my living room. Like i said earlier if you can accept this units audio limitations and enjoy it for what it does you'll be happy with it i sure am.
post #67 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 11:09 AM

how would this system compare to the philips hts6500? I have the philips system and i think it sounds horrible. Is the sound on the ct-100 much better (especially for music) ?
post #68 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 12:24 PM

music sounds really god if you have the right source. Once I streamed my audio through my ps3 with the highest qualities selected it sounded 10X better than digital music through the cable box.

Question, I have my 360 through optical, my ps3 and dvr through hdmi. Should I run everything through optical? is Optical better than HDMI for audio? Also, which is better to stream video through the 360 or ps3 given I can watch a video through either one?
post #69 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 12:44 PM

Here is what I have hooked up:

My Ps3 to ct-100 via HDMI
Direct Tv Hd DVR to ct-100 via HDMI
Ct-100 out to Plasma via HDMI

My question is: Do I need to hook up the optical cord?
When watching regular tv, I have to turn up the volume on the Ct-100 almost all the way. Is there something that I'm missing? I want to watch tv with surround sound. I do have the DVR set to Dolby. The PS3 sounds good though. Thanks
post #70 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo18 View Post

Here is what I have hooked up:

My Ps3 to ct-100 via HDMI
Direct Tv Hd DVR to ct-100 via HDMI
Ct-100 out to Plasma via HDMI

My question is: Do I need to hook up the optical cord?
When watching regular tv, I have to turn up the volume on the Ct-100 almost all the way. Is there something that I'm missing? I want to watch tv with surround sound. I do have the DVR set to Dolby. The PS3 sounds good though. Thanks

Yup, you'll need to use either the optical cable or audio cables from your TV to the CT-100.
post #71 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 01:20 PM

why do you need an optical from the dvr? doesn't hdmi include audio? Since it included the optical cable I hooked it up to my dvr anyway now, but I don't notice any difference.
post #72 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 04:32 PM

You won't need an optical cable if you are connected via HDMI from your DVR. If you have audio going from your TV to the CT100, you'd need an optical cable. I have my Wii plugged in to my TV, then an optical cable going from the TV to the CT100 to pass the sound from the Wii to the CT100. If you were watching a broadcast signal, you'd need an optical cable going from your TV to your CT100. But you don't need it if you are going to the CT100 before your TV.

post #73 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 05:16 PM

How's the bass on this system? Will it satisfy a serious Death Metal freak who loves the "double bass" drums?
post #74 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the responses. It just seems odd that the sound isn't really that strong while watching tv. Even the HD programs are not as loud as I thought they would be. I really don't get the surround sound. I thought sporting events would sound awesome. I do love the system though.

Do you think I may have a setting wrong on the Ct-100 ?
post #75 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Ritzen View Post

How's the bass on this system? Will it satisfy a serious Death Metal freak who loves the "double bass" drums?

The bass is one of my favorite parts of the CT100. Prior to this I was using an Athena AS-P4100 10" 400 watt sub. It was VERY powerful. Even on lower settings, it just seemed like too much. It was either off, or too much bass on the lowest settings. The CT100 is definitely not as powerful, but has been more than enough bass for me. But it can also handle bass at lower volumes without being too much like the Athena was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo18 View Post

Thanks for the responses. It just seems odd that the sound isn't really that strong while watching tv. Even the HD programs are not as loud as I thought they would be. I really don't get the surround sound. I thought sporting events would sound awesome. I do love the system though.

Do you think I may have a setting wrong on the Ct-100 ?

You may have some settings wrong. What sound field do you have it set on? You should switch to Sports if watching a sporting event, I've noticed a difference. For everything else I've been using Movie mode. I also think turning the Audio DRC to STD helps for surrround sound in DD sources.

post #76 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 07:58 PM

I just picked up the ct-100 over at Sears yesterday and I've run into a problem. Currently I have my DVR and Xbox 360 (Premium/no HDMI) hooked up to the ct-100 using optical cables. When watching regular cable or using the 360, I am getting absolutely no sound from the center speaker on the sound bar, only from the other speakers. If I'm watching a 5.1 movie, I'm unable to hear the dialogue since it's supposed to be coming from the center speaker.

Is there something that I'm completely missing or is my ct-100 defective?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I've tried Standard, Movie Mode, etc. I've also performed the Cold Reset mentioned in the manual and tried another optical cable with no luck.
post #77 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djswerv View Post

I just picked up the ct-100 over at Sears yesterday and I've run into a problem. Currently I have my DVR and Xbox 360 (Premium/no HDMI) hooked up to the ct-100 using optical cables. When watching regular cable or using the 360, I am getting absolutely no sound from the center speaker on the sound bar, only from the other speakers. If I'm watching a 5.1 movie, I'm unable to hear the dialogue since it's supposed to be coming from the center speaker.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I've tried Standard, Movie Mode, etc. I've also performed the Cold Reset mentioned in the manual and tried another optical cable with no luck.

Don't quote me on this seeing as I don't have mine yet but I think there is a volume control just for the center speaker.
post #78 of 3186 Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post

Don't quote me on this seeing as I don't have mine yet but I think there is a volume control just for the center speaker.

Yeah there's a separate volume control for the center channel but even after putting it at its highest setting, there's still no sound coming from that center speaker.
post #79 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djswerv View Post

It seems that those of us who have initially had audio problems, the problems usually lay in the audio settings for that particular component. I would suggest you check your audio settings for your Xbox 360.

Go to the System Blade on your Xbox, select Console Settings, choose Audio, then Digital Output, and then make sure that Dolby Digital 5.1 is selected. If you had Digital Stereo selected then that is your problem. I had a similar problem with the audio for my DVD player, but once I fixed the settings the CT-100 has worked perfectly.
post #80 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You won't need an optical cable if you are connected via HDMI from your DVR. If you have audio going from your TV to the CT100, you'd need an optical cable. I have my Wii plugged in to my TV, then an optical cable going from the TV to the CT100 to pass the sound from the Wii to the CT100. If you were watching a broadcast signal, you'd need an optical cable going from your TV to your CT100. But you don't need it if you are going to the CT100 before your TV.

Please clarify how you connected your Wii to the TV and CT100. I understand that you are using the optical through your TV rather than directly to the Wii since the Wii only allows analog audio. What do you do then? How does the TV use the optical cable for the sound. And how does it know to use HDMI when you watch satellite/cable/BD instead of using optical?
post #81 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post

Please clarify how you connected your Wii to the TV and CT100. I understand that you are using the optical through your TV rather than directly to the Wii since the Wii only allows analog audio. What do you do then? How does the TV use the optical cable for the sound. And how does it know to use HDMI when you watch satellite/cable/BD instead of using optical?

I have the Wii connected to my TV's component input, including the red and white audio cables. My TV has an optical audio output that will transfer sound from any of the inputs to the optical cable. So when I'm on the Component input of my TV, the optical cable will output the stereo audio from the Wii. I then have that optical cable connected to the TV input on the CT100, which has no corresponding HDMI input. The TV input is strictly for either an optical or red and white composite cables.

post #82 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:

I have the Wii connected to my TV's component input, including the red and white audio cables. My TV has an optical audio output that will transfer sound from any of the inputs to the optical cable. So when I'm on the Component input of my TV, the optical cable will output the stereo audio from the Wii. I then have that optical cable connected to the TV input on the CT100, which has no corresponding HDMI input. The TV input is strictly for either an optical or red and white composite cables.

I think it would be better hooking the Wii right into the CT-100. When I get my CT-100 the only thing from my TV to the CT-100 will be the HDMI from the TV. I will then hook my 360 and DishNetwork box right into the CT-100 via HDMI.
post #83 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post

I think it would be better hooking the Wii right into the CT-100. When I get my CT-100 the only thing from my TV to the CT-100 will be the HDMI from the TV. I will then hook my 360 and DishNetwork box right into the CT-100 via HDMI.

The Wii can't do HDMI, and the CT100 can't switch Component, so the Wii has to be going to my TV already. The only two options to connect it to the CT100 are to get extension cables to connect the audio composite cables, or just use the optical cable from my TV. Why bother buying more cables to connect the Wii when the CT100 comes with an optical cable?

post #84 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1276 View Post

It seems that those of us who have initially had audio problems, the problems usually lay in the audio settings for that particular component. I would suggest you check your audio settings for your Xbox 360.

Go to the System Blade on your Xbox, select Console Settings, choose Audio, then Digital Output, and then make sure that Dolby Digital 5.1 is selected. If you had Digital Stereo selected then that is your problem. I had a similar problem with the audio for my DVD player, but once I fixed the settings the CT-100 has worked perfectly.

I made sure that the 360 was set to Dolby Digital 5.1 and that my DVR was set to Dolby Digital as well and still have the same problem.
post #85 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Wii can't do HDMI, and the CT100 can't switch Component, so the Wii has to be going to my TV already. The only two options to connect it to the CT100 are to get extension cables to connect the audio composite cables, or just use the optical cable from my TV. Why bother buying more cables to connect the Wii when the CT100 comes with an optical cable?

In your setup does the CT100 identify the PLII from the Wii game? I did the other setup mentioned and bought extensions for the red and white audio cables (less than $2 for both) and hear sound coming from the sub so I imagine it's PLII although the label doesn't pop up.
post #86 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post

In your setup does the CT100 identify the PLII from the Wii game? I did the other setup mentioned and bought extensions for the red and white audio cables (less than $2 for both) and hear sound coming from the sub so I imagine it's PLII although the label doesn't pop up.

I haven't checked that. I'll look when I get home tonight. Mario Kart is PLII, right?

post #87 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes it is per hdgames.net. I have Resident Evil and Mario Kart. I definitely heard the sub with RE but I didn't test Mario Kart as I've only had it a few days.
post #88 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 PM

Can't you just plug in your wii video into the tv itself but the audio directly into the tv audio ports on the ct100? That's what I would do as I don't use those ports for anything. I have dvr through the sat hdmi. For my 360 I plug the vga into the tv, but the optical into the ct100 into the dvd optical.

Yeah sports don't sound great I agree. Not much differennce for me between sports/movie mode there. But movies/games are sweet! I also love the bass how it can be super loud, but it doesn't sound too loud when it's turned down like a lot of subs do.
post #89 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 PM

ok i've read through this post trying to figure out the answers to my questions but with all the different replies all i'm doing is giving myself a headache trying to weed through it all...my question is what is the proper way to hook up the CT-100 to my current setup. Right now I have the 42" Regza LCD - Sony upconvert dvd player - HD DVR box from Comcast and was wondering what is the proper way to incorporate my new CT-100 into this setup...as of now nothing is setup yet, its all still in boxes waiting until I move next week and I need to know which cables I need to order in order to set it up properly...any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you
post #90 of 3186 Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Has anyone tried gaming on one yet? Like COD4. Do you hear footsteps of enemy soldiers / are the explosions intense and etc.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Htct100 Sound Bar With Subwoofer Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page