Sony CT-100 Info, Reviews, Etc. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3186 Old 05-06-2008, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought it would be more helpful to have a thread for this system on its own instead of in the 'Sony announcing 4 new HTIB's' thread.

I will talk to the mods about moving posts concerning the CT-100 from that thread to this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3186 Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Good idea. That other thread became hijacked with CT100 postings! I'll be ordering my CT100 soon.

I'd like to hear some more reviews on how this system sounds with TrueHD and DTS-HD MA Codecs, Compared to regular DTS and Dolby Digital. Is there a noticeable difference being that this is only a 3.1 system?
post #3 of 3186 Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes, there is a very noticable difference. The "surround" works about the same in both regular DD and DTS as it does in TrueHD and DTS-HD, but the quality of the sound coming out of the speaker is far superior. I was watching a movie, and could easily switch between regular DD and TrueHD, and the TrueHD sounded amazing.

post #4 of 3186 Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Yes, I was just testing it out again, and I was watching 300 BR on my PS3. The difference between the different formats was significant.

I just needed to crank the center speaker up a bit and that was all that I needed.

I have my Xbox hooked up with optical cables to the DVD input.
TV with Coax cable
and PS3 with HDMI
post #5 of 3186 Old 06-03-2008, 12:42 PM

Got my CT100 today. Only had about 20 mins or so at lunch to set it up. Did get it set up & playing (simple set up), but could not get the remote to work with it. Maybe the batteries that came with it are dead.

Outta the box the sound was crisp and clear ... not enveloping like my old 5.1system, but it sounded very nice playing a Chris Botti concert I recorded on HDNet. Am no audiophile, however, so this is just a very novice perspective.

Hopefully I can get the remote going tonight & try out the different sound modes, etc. So far, it seems promising.
post #6 of 3186 Old 06-03-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Nobody answered my question in the other post. Does the CT-100 remote work for the PS3 Blu Ray portion?
post #7 of 3186 Old 06-03-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

Yes, there is a very noticable difference. The "surround" works about the same in both regular DD and DTS as it does in TrueHD and DTS-HD, but the quality of the sound coming out of the speaker is far superior. I was watching a movie, and could easily switch between regular DD and TrueHD, and the TrueHD sounded amazing.

Did you switch codecs through your BR player or does the CT-100 have this capability?

BTW, I was saying how great of God of War 1 and 2 sounds. I couldn't see what the codec was as my TV was blocking it visually. We rearranged and now I can see the codec. The games use on my PS2 Dolby PLII which is a 2 channel mixed to sound like 5.1. It sounds fantastic. I have to lower the volume to like 10 when I play these games.
post #8 of 3186 Old 06-03-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post

Nobody answered my question in the other post. Does the CT-100 remote work for the PS3 Blu Ray portion?

Ok after I search it looks I'd have to buy the Blu Wave and use the USB dongle for an IR remote. That's $10 for the Blu Wave + the other remote. I might just go with the controller like how I use my PS2.
post #9 of 3186 Old 06-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Does the CT100 automatically detect when a source is DD, PLII DTS and so on?
post #10 of 3186 Old 06-03-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post

Did you switch codecs through your BR player or does the CT-100 have this capability?

I have my PS3 set to only output LPCM audio. I unchecked all other audio options, so all audio is decoded by the PS3, then sent at LPCM or PCM (depending on the source audio) to the CT100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Davicho View Post

Does the CT100 automatically detect when a source is DD, PLII DTS and so on?

Yes, it will automatically detect what the source audio is. When a different source audio is input, like switching between a 2.1 and 5.1 show on my DirecTV receiver, it will briefly display the channel output in the subwoofer display. It will also let you know when the source audio is DD, DTS, etc. on the display on the sub.

post #11 of 3186 Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
As far as Tinainfl saying the remote does not work, I had to return my set because the remote was faulty too. I think it was the IR sensor in the speaker because the remote worked my Sony TV perfectly, but it had problems with controlling the CT100.
So I assume the IR eye in the main speaker was faulty. System would not turn on with the remote but it would sporadically receive other commands. The IR sensor in the remote seemed loose too.

Took almost 2 weeks to ship it back Fedex ground to PA from TX. Hope I get the replacement soon..... It took 2 weeks to receive the first one too. oh well, for the $100 discount Sony gave I guess the hassle is worth it.
post #12 of 3186 Old 06-03-2008, 09:07 PM

Looks like I may have the same problem w/the remote. Can't turn the set on or off w/it or change channels, but can do other things w/it.

The system sounds good. I rather miss my old Yamaha 5.1 set up a bit, though, as it provided better surround. There's no question that w/the CT100 that it's only coming from the front of the room to put it in layman's terms. Notwithstanding that, it still sounds good ... crisp & clear & no wires around the sides of my living room. That worked in my old place as I had three walls, but now I only have one back wall & would be tripping over wires. This will definitely be my solution until wireless rear technology improves or I break down & pay the piper for wired installation.

Idiot ? I'm sure, but is there any sort of equalizer on the CT100 to change the treble settings? If there is, I can't find it. Only can change the subwoofer & center settings & the modes, e.g., sports, music, standard, etc.

Thanks for any info!
post #13 of 3186 Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinainfl View Post

Idiot ? I'm sure, but is there any sort of equalizer on the CT100 to change the treble settings? If there is, I can't find it. Only can change the subwoofer & center settings & the modes, e.g., sports, music, standard, etc.

Thanks for any info!

Yeah, I just got mine yesterday and there are no options like this. The 'Settings' menu seems very rudamentary but the set seems to put out pretty good sound without that sort of tweaking.
post #14 of 3186 Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 AM

What are people's opinion on the Audio DRC? I've tried off, STD, and MAX. I can't really tell if it helps or not though.

post #15 of 3186 Old 06-04-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinainfl View Post

Looks like I may have the same problem w/the remote. Can't turn the set on or off w/it or change channels, but can do other things w/it.

The remote drove me crazy. I changed batteries etc. And then I had a "DUH" moment. You have to aim the remote at the stick, not at the LCD. Has worked fine after that.
post #16 of 3186 Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 PM

I am interested in the CT100 so I went to Sears to see it. There were more wires than I thought. One cable from the speaker to the SW. One cable from the SW to the TV. One cable from the HD Cable Box to the SW. Its becoming complicated setting up the system due to the restrictions of my shelf unit. Has anyone else had a placement issue?
post #17 of 3186 Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaJ View Post

The remote drove me crazy. I changed batteries etc. And then I had a "DUH" moment. You have to aim the remote at the stick, not at the LCD. Has worked fine after that.

Me too!!
post #18 of 3186 Old 06-04-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I did aim the remote at the soundbar (stick??). you can see the logo where the sensor is on the soundbar.
post #19 of 3186 Old 06-05-2008, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spisam View Post

I am interested in the CT100 so I went to Sears to see it. There were more wires than I thought. One cable from the speaker to the SW. One cable from the SW to the TV. One cable from the HD Cable Box to the SW. Its becoming complicated setting up the system due to the restrictions of my shelf unit. Has anyone else had a placement issue?

It's not a wireless system. That's about as simple as you can get. At least you don't have 6 wires going to the receiver for the 5 satellite speakers and the subwoofer. This is the most basic you can get in having a HTIB.
post #20 of 3186 Old 06-05-2008, 03:49 PM

I just got my CT-100 today. Setup was a breeze, I'm using a Digital Audio Coax cable for my Bright House digital cable box and an optical TOSLINK cable for my Samsung DVD player. All of my TV channels come in through my digital cable box so I didn't bother with the left/right audio cables for the TV. Once I upgrade my TV I'll switch to HDMI for most of the inputs though.

One thing I have noticed though in the couple of hours I've been using it, the display on the subwoofer is only showing 2.0ch for each of my inputs, whether I'm playing a DVD or watching cable. Does anyone know if this can be adjusted by using the remote control?

I would expect 2.0 to display if I was watching a TV station with left/right audio cables connecting the cable box, but I'm using a digital coax cable. And I know my DVD player is definitely sending out a 5.1 signal through the TOSLINK, so why is the CT-100 only showing a 2.0 on the subwoofer display? The manual was not very helpful, and because the CT-100 is so new there isn't much out there on the net for troubleshooting.

The audio sounds good so far, but I'm not blown away by it yet. I had a DAV-X1 before this system, it was a 2.1 and did sound fantastic, so I thought I had realistic expectations for a 3.1 system. Is it possible that by not using an HDMI cable with this system I'm limiting myself to a 2.0 input? Do I need to run left/right audio cables to my TV? Anyone have any suggestions?
post #21 of 3186 Old 06-05-2008, 05:33 PM

What DVD were you watching?

There may be audio options on the DVD itself.
post #22 of 3186 Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 PM

Its not the DVD audio options, I've watched Batman Begins and The Fellowship of the Ring and the audio on the DVD was set to English 5.1 on both movies. The display on the subwoofer still showed as 2.0 channels for both movies, which is odd because I'm using an Optical TOSLINK cable which is a digital audio feed.

Turning the volume up on the system from 20 to 30 did help in Movie mode though, you could hear the subwoofer more and the main channel was clearer. Overall I'm very happy with the system now, but it is a very different sound experience from the last Sony system I had.

I'll try using an HDMI cable to hook up the DVD player to the CT-100 and see if that makes a difference with the sound input, although I can't imagine it would.
post #23 of 3186 Old 06-06-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Toslink should support 5.1. The DVD's you are watching do support 5.1. I imagine your DVD player does as well. Does anything else light up on the CT100 display like DD or PLII? There's no tinkering to be done to change the codec display. It will automatically pick it up. Even when you change a channel (had you installed Toslink or HDMI).
post #24 of 3186 Old 06-06-2008, 06:15 AM

Every DVD I've watched so far, the subwoofer displays the following:
2.0ch briefly before it switches to DVD
OPT to show that the source is coming in through the TOSLINK
PLII
PCM
The last two concern me because the CT-100 is acting like it's not receiving a digital audio source. I also pulled out my copy of Revenge of the Sith, because I remembered there being a THX sound test on the disc. It was working okay until it tested the subwoofer, and then there was silence.

I tried a Cold Reset as described on page 37 of the user manual, but that didn't solve anything either. I think I have another TOSLINK cable laying around somewhere, so I'll try that and see if there is something wrong with the cable I'm currently using. I also ordered an HDMI cable from Amazon which I should get here sometime next week, I'll need it anyway, but I can go ahead and test the audio connection between the DVD and CT-100.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd welcome them. If after all that I still can't get it to work I'll have to call Sony and see what they have to say.
post #25 of 3186 Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 AM

Hey all, If I wanted to hook up the wii audio into the TV composite ports, which cable would I need to get?
I know the type I'm looking for but I cant seem to find what its called or which one it is on monoprice.
It should just be to extend the audio cable from the wii to the sub...
post #26 of 3186 Old 06-06-2008, 10:08 AM

I'm new to home theater, so forgive my newbie question, but I'm puzzled about a set-up issue...
I just received my CT100 and set it this way:
a) running a coax audio cable from the cable box to the CT100 (SAT input)
b) running an optical cable from DVD to the CT100 (DVD input)
c) connecting the supplied optical cable between the TV audio optical-out and the CT100 (TV optical input)

At least for now, I've left the audio cables in place which connect the cable box and DVD player to the TV. My intention is to turn off the TV speakers (via the TV menu) and get audio from the CT100 speakers.

My question is this: Since my TV and DVD player both have a Dolby decoder, do I really need (a) and (b)-- can't I just have the single connection in (c) and let my TV process the audio and send the audio to the CT100? To ask it another way, what is the benefit of routing the audio signal directly to the CT100?
post #27 of 3186 Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerfish View Post

Hey all, If I wanted to hook up the wii audio into the TV composite ports, which cable would I need to get?
I know the type I'm looking for but I cant seem to find what its called or which one it is on monoprice.
It should just be to extend the audio cable from the wii to the sub...

You have to get an RCA that is Wii-specific because the back of the Wii has Nintendo's proprietary connection rather than the universal female connections for RCA. Easiest thing to do (since you're using composites) is buy the RCA male/female extension. Plug the red and white cables from the Nintendo to the female side of the extension. Connect the male ends of the extension to the back of the CT-100. The extension is less than a dollar and you have to buy two because it's only a single cable per order. Also, the extension is black rather than white and red. I called Monoprice and they said that it will work fine regardless of the color. I had to order an HDMI for my soon-to-get PS3 so all was $8.62 shipped.
post #28 of 3186 Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM

I am using component wii cables bought from monoprice.
I saw that they had the extensions, but I was trying to find one with 2(like red and white) instead of having to buy 2 separate extensions. If thats the only option then thats fine.

Thanks for the help Doom!

Im really enjoying this system. I almost have everything hooked up cept for the wii.
post #29 of 3186 Old 06-06-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I would've discovered the Wii problem sooner but I've been playing God of War 1 and 2. Stupid Wii not having digital audio.
post #30 of 3186 Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 PM

CNET's review is up and very favorable. They say it is easily the best in its class.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Htct100 Sound Bar With Subwoofer Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page