Soundbar vs Free standing speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im trying to decide on wether a soundbar or a free standing sourd sound is the way to go for my home theather setup. This is my first setup on a 1br condo. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-27-2008, 03:48 PM

My wife and I had a full 5.1 home theatre setup in a den in our basement (Atlantic Tech speakers, Yamaha receiver, nice Tosh RPTV) and then I decided to go to med school. We turned the room into office/study space and turned our living room into a mini home theatre with a Sony 46" XBR LCD panel, Denon 3808, Infinity PS-12 and a Polk Surroundbar (I listed everything so you can get feel for my next statement).

We're selling the Polk and I just picked up some a pair of Mirage Omnisat V2 floor speakers. I like them WORLDS better than the Polk. If you MUST have an all in one solution it's okay. We simply didn't want to run cable and thought we'd be satisfied. I'm happier with my current 2.1 setup than I was with the Polk doing "5.1". I will say that it does trick you into thinking you hear sound to about 180 degrees, but it just doesn't have the wide soundfield,depth or separation that we really wanted.

I know some people who really like theirs though. I suppose you have to try it and see since every environment is different and all ears hear something slightly different (in a manner of speaking).

That said, wanna buy a Polk Surroundbar for $300? PM me. ;-)
post #3 of 5 Old 05-27-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I also had a 5.1 system and decided on a Yamaha sound bar. I did not want the wires for a 5.1 system. Well I sold the Yamaha for 1/2 price and I now own a 7.1 system again. The yamaha did not sound bad and did do a good job on surround...but if you want true surround where it is beside you and behind you stay away from the sound bars and pick up a 5.1 system.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #4 of 5 Old 05-28-2008, 11:58 AM

how much are you willing to sell it for - final price?

Also - what is the condition of the sound bar and does it come with a sub woofer?

Let me know.

Thanks.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-28-2008, 03:36 PM

I'm PMing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amahdi View Post

how much are you willing to sell it for - final price?

Also - what is the condition of the sound bar and does it come with a sub woofer?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page