Anyone have the Mitsubishi 149 series (w/ built-in soundbar)? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2008, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up my LT-52149 tonight at a local HHGREGG store. It ended up being much less than costco or any other place. Will start setting it up and will post calibration info once done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 AM

Does anyone know how to turn off the tag screen that says "Mitsubishi Electric" every time I turn off the set? I suppose that it might be in the service menu?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So Im thinkin about getting the 52149 and its all "FrostyLou's" fault,,, and also because I have been down at my local Mag store more than a few times playing with it and adjusting the soundbeams.

Actually, I'm more than just thinking about getting it, I'm kinda positive I'm going to get it.

The reason for my post: Does anyone have any info of the 149 series coming out in a size bigger than 52 inches ?????

I have searched online and am also waiting for any CES anouncements of a bigger than 52" size before I make the purchase,,,, I would hate to get the 52 incher and then they release a bigger screen sized 149.

Currently I have a projector and a 60" Pioneer plasma so me thinks going down to a 52" screen size is guna hurt, but the 149 has such a killer picture and sound, its hard for me not to get one.

So before I go get the 52 incher, any rumors of a bigger one coming out ???

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Davyo
Old 12-31-2008, 07:29 AM

Since these units are based on samsung pannels, it would be possible for them to come out with a 55 inch version. While I would like to see a larger size also, I didn't want to pass up the price I was offered for my lt52149.

Here are some settings I have found for the 149

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...tv/index7.html

Video Settings
Picture Mode: Natural
*Contrast: 63
*Brightness: 34
*Color: 40
*Tint: 36
Sharpness: 0 (HD), 13 (SD)
Color Temp: Low
Video Noise: High
*Back Light: 15
Global Settings
Film Mode: Auto
Smooth 120 Film Motion: High
On Remote
Format: Full Native

I also have found the service menu settings; I have yet to try them.

Service Menu

MENU on the remote and then 2, 4, 5, 7

pressing "play" and then either fast-forward or rewind brings up a set of test patterns. The rewind / ff keys cycle the patterns - they are in a loop.

Hours of Use

MENU on the remote and then 2, 4, 7, 0

I will publish my actual TV settings once I finish testing.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

So Im thinkin about getting the 52149 and its all "FrostyLou's" fault,,, and also because I have been down at my local Mag store more than a few times playing with it and adjusting the soundbeams.

Actually, I'm more than just thinking about getting it, I'm kinda positive I'm going to get it.

The reason for my post: Does anyone have any info of the 149 series coming out in a size bigger than 52 inches ?????

I have searched online and am also waiting for any CES anouncements of a bigger than 52" size before I make the purchase,,,, I would hate to get the 52 incher and then they release a bigger screen sized 149.

Currently I have a projector and a 60" Pioneer plasma so me thinks going down to a 52" screen size is guna hurt, but the 149 has such a killer picture and sound, its hard for me not to get one.

So before I go get the 52 incher, any rumors of a bigger one coming out ???

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Davyo

Davyo, you are so funnY!
It is so funny, you have the pioneer 60 inch. That is the TV that I want. I have a 50 icch panny in my family room (with the YSP 4000) and the Mitsubishi in my bedroom, While everything is awesome, nothing beats the Pioneer Blacks for me.
I must say though. I am convinced more than ever. I just got Cloverfiled on BLU ray. As awesome is the YSP 4000 is, the Mitsubishi sound bar, for me has it beat...especially with Dolby True or PCM 5.1
You know I am a YSP junky, and I think while there are other good sound bars (the Sony) nothing really comes close this technology (in the right room and well set up).
But the first time I put in a Blu Ray Disc..it was Transformers with Dolby True and watched it on the Mitsusbishi, my jaw was on the flooor. I thought, "Wow..., so THIS is what these Digital Sound Projectors are SUPPOSED to sound like!"
Old 01-01-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Davyo, you are so funnY!
It is so funny, you have the pioneer 60 inch. That is the TV that I want. I have a 50 icch panny in my family room (with the YSP 4000) and the Mitsubishi in my bedroom, While everything is awesome, nothing beats the Pioneer Blacks for me.
I must say though. I am convinced more than ever. I just got Cloverfiled on BLU ray. As awesome is the YSP 4000 is, the Mitsubishi sound bar, for me has it beat...especially with Dolby True or PCM 5.1
You know I am a YSP junky, and I think while there are other good sound bars (the Sony) nothing really comes close this technology (in the right room and well set up).
But the first time I put in a Blu Ray Disc..it was Transformers with Dolby True and watched it on the Mitsusbishi, my jaw was on the flooor. I thought, "Wow..., so THIS is what these Digital Sound Projectors are SUPPOSED to sound like!"

Hey Frosty, well if you like the 60" Pioneer plasma so much I will just trade you mine for your brand new Mits
(my Pio 60 incher is the 6070 model and is only 720p,,your Mits is much nicer)

Anyhow, I'm really wanting the Mits as I want that super clean install look, the panel hanging on the wall with nothnig else in sight and the 149 series makes that do'able.
And yea, Frosty, I know we are both YSP junkies and hearing your praise of the 149's soundbar has pushed me over the edge.
I plan on getting one in the next week or so,, I will have to post back after my purchase with my impressions.

Cheers
Davyo
Old 01-04-2009, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Hey Frosty, well if you like the 60" Pioneer plasma so much I will just trade you mine for your brand new Mits
(my Pio 60 incher is the 6070 model and is only 720p,,your Mits is much nicer)

Anyhow, I'm really wanting the Mits as I want that super clean install look, the panel hanging on the wall with nothnig else in sight and the 149 series makes that do'able.
And yea, Frosty, I know we are both YSP junkies and hearing your praise of the 149's soundbar has pushed me over the edge.
I plan on getting one in the next week or so,, I will have to post back after my purchase with my impressions.

Cheers
Davyo

Hey Davyo,
Very interesting... I found out for sure that the speakers in the Mitsubishi actually are Martin Logan. This really does explain a lot. I pulled out one of our music Blu rays- Celine Dion, and watched it today. It was the first concert blu ray I have watched on the Mitsunishi. My YSP 4000...uhh.. I love it,.. but not even close. The combinatlion of the far better speakers, with the ability to do Dolby True-Whole different league. I really mean it.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Question for you Frosty or any other 149 owners that care to chime in.

I am really wanting the 52" 149 but I have a few things keeping me from running out and getting it.

I have run across a few reviews that say the PQ is just so-so compared to Samsung LCD's.

Im waiting to see if CES anounces a bigger than 52 inch 149 series.

Vizio is now shipping there new 55" LCD with what they "claim" to be a soundbar,, I dont see how it could sound better than the 149 though.

One of the main reasons for wanting a 149 is for the soundbar,, is that sound reasoning (pun intended) to buy a panel more for the sound than the picture, if in fact the picture is not as good as say a Samsung.

FWIW,,,,If I got the 149 it would be used mostly for BluRay and HD cable.

Input/opinons welcome

Cheers
Davyo
Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

davyo,
I can absolutely tell you, the blacks are not as good as Samsung or Sony. Period. The blacks of a Panasonic, LG, or for that matter, Bang and Olufson Plasma, are not as black as a Kuro. Period. That said, they are black enough for me. I have seen LCD that have far worse Blacks . The picture itself ( especially blu ray- 1080p) his gorgeous . Beyond gorgeous. Picture wise, I would not hesitate 1 second.
Size wize is a different story. That is totally for you to decide if losing those 8 inches is going to be too much.
Sound- foget about. I know I sound like a blu ray uncompressed sound nut now , but I think it is going to take me a while to be able to go back and watch my Panny with the YSP 4000, with great, but nevertheless compressed 5.1
You know Davyo, what Mitsubishi or now Martin Logan should do is make start making stand alone Soundbars. I mean it.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:21 PM

Can anyone post their recommended settings for this set? Currently the picture looks great except for the fact that there is way too much green to the point where a lot of grass on scenes look like neon instead of green. Recommended settings would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn Tr14dZ View Post

Can anyone post their recommended settings for this set? Currently the picture looks great except for the fact that there is way too much green to the point where a lot of grass on scenes look like neon instead of green. Recommended settings would be appreciated. Thanks!

Set your color mode to Natural, and temp to Low. You can follow this review for complete guidance:
http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...-52149_lcd_tv/
Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 PM

Does anyone know if naming the inputs affect the visuals? Right now, I have my PS3 named as Blu-Ray, but I was thinking about naming it Game, just so I have access to the "Game Mode". If I name it Game, will the visuals be the same as if it were named Blu-Ray?

I was thinking about calibrating it (with my DVE Blu Ray) when it's on Natural, then whenever I would play games I would switch to Game, then go back to Natural when I'm done. I read somewhere that settings are saved to Modes (Brilliant, Bright, Natural, Game), but not saved to names.

Also, do the names PS, Xbox, and Wii have game modes as well? On the instruction manual it says if you name it Game or PC, you will have access to
"Game Mode" but it doesn't say anything about naming it PS, Xbox, or Wii.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 AM

My 149 auto detected my xbox360 and named it xbox. It has access to game mode.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88mx6 View Post

My 149 auto detected my xbox360 and named it xbox. It has access to game mode.

I'm just wondering though, are there any differences in terms of picture quality if the input is named something like Xbox, Wii, or PS, compared to being named Blu-Ray or DVD?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 AM

No, it just allows another settings mode that you can customize.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88mx6 View Post

No, it just allows another settings mode that you can customize.

Thanks! I just read on the manual that settings are saved to inputs (Brilliant, Bright, Natural, Game) so I guess I'll just calibrate Natural for watching Blu-Ray and switch between that and Game depending on if I play Games or watch Blu-Ray.

Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:53 PM

I'm picking the 52149 up today. I'm thinking about picking up a PS3 and I would like to know nice the picture is with the Blu-Ray player. I saw the tv connected to a LG player and the picture was incredible. No noise what so ever and it was the most detailed picture I had seen.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generic clone View Post

I'm picking the 52149 up today. I'm thinking about picking up a PS3 and I would like to know nice the picture is with the Blu-Ray player. I saw the tv connected to a LG player and the picture was incredible. No noise what so ever and it was the most detailed picture I had seen.

With a good Blu ray Disc, the picture is beyond superb. And you
have not really heard the sound bar until you listen to Dolby True on it.
Propery calibrated, in the right room, and with a subwoofer, it is movie theater SCARY to hear what is simply coming out of the "tv speakers"
Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 AM

Anyone see the latest Consumer Reports with reviews on TVs? They rated the LTxx149 as above average sound (the same as all the other TVs were rated). I do not own a 149, but have heard the Demos at the store, and thought the 149 sound was excellent, and a whole lot better than any other TV speakers.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttsthree View Post

Anyone see the latest Consumer Reports with reviews on TVs? They rated the LTxx149 as above average sound (the same as all the other TVs were rated). I do not own a 149, but have heard the Demos at the store, and thought the 149 sound was excellent, and a whole lot better than any other TV speakers.

I have yet to hear a current models "built-in" speakers sound better. I picked up one of the 149's because of the sound and the cable card; it really is a nice TV.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

With a good Blu ray Disc, the picture is beyond superb. And you
have not really heard the sound bar until you listen to Dolby True on it.
Propery calibrated, in the right room, and with a subwoofer, it is movie theater SCARY to hear what is simply coming out of the "tv speakers"

What is "Dolby True"? Is that an option I can select in the TV menu? I don't have a lot of room in my living room. It's pretty cramped. Where can I get ideas to calibrate the sound?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Dolby True is one of the lossless sound codecs on Blu ray. You need a Blu ray player that decodes Dolby True.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:31 PM

Does the PS3 offer that?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 PM

I picked up a 46149 this past week. I love it.
I love the fact that the connections point to the side. They lay flat when the TV is wall mounted and let me tilt it more than my previous sets because the cables don't stick out from the back.
The sound bar sounds great.

My only complaint is when setting up the Harmony remote. Harmony's discreet codes for the HDMI inputs do not work. I haven't had this trouble with any other TV make or model, and I have had QUITE a few.

I started to get worried that I was going to have to use a crappy macro to select input correctly. I did some reading and found the following post on another forum: http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...ost.cgi?746148

Specifically:

Solved the problem with the following steps:

By the way, before I did these steps, Input-1 was displaying Input-1 on the screen but it wasn't going to Input-1. (So both Input-1 and Input-2 were not functioning for me.)

* Set the Mitsubishi remote control switch to TV mode.
* Press and hold the power button until it flashes.
* Press "0" - wait for two flashes - press "0090".
* The remote is now set up in direct input selection mode.
* Power turns things on. Stop (on the VCR section) turns it off.
* Press "Input" and then either a Number or one of the function keys - each combination matches up with a particular input.
* Press "Format" and then a number from 1-7 - depending on which input you're on and what type of signal, you'll go directly to the selected format. (The numbers match up with the order in the manual).
* Press and hold the power button until it flashes.
* Press "0" - wait for two flashes - - press "0935" and the remote will be back to normal.

Input + 0-9 produce random results -- no wonder the Harmony database wasn't perfect:

Input 0 did nothing.
Input 1 displays Input-1 but it isn't Input-1. Seems to be nothing.
Input 2 gives you Input-3
Input 3 gives you Input-4
Input 4 gives you HDMI-2
Input 5 gives you Input-2
Input 6 gives you Input-1
Input 7 also gives you Input-4
Input 8 gives you Ant-2
Input 9 gives you Ant-1

Input + F1-F4 produces reasonable results:

Input F1 gives you HDMI-1
Input F2 gives you HDMI-2
Input F3 gives you HDMI-3
Input F4 gives you HDMI-4

So I put the remote in direct input mode. Test the buttons. And re-taught the Harmony the new discreet codes. After that it worked great. Just FYI for everyone.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 AM

I just bought a new LT-46148, which is substantially similar to the 149 Series, PQ-wise at least, and have so far been disappointed with the quality of upconverted 480p component video from my DVD player and Wii. On other TVs, including a Mitsubishi 144 Series I had previously (panel failed twice and Mitsubishi authorized TV replacement), I have turned sharpening down to minimum or a low value and got a decently sharp image with no visible halos or ringing artifacts.

With this new 148 Series, 1080i and 1080p HDMI signals look great at minimum sharpening. My 480p sources, a progressive DVD player and a Wii with component breakout cable, look terrible at the lowest sharpening level. I see dark halos around high contrast edges, which looks almost like a double-image. This seems very strange. If I crank sharpness up to 15-25, the dark halos are minimized, but are replaced by somewhat less visible light halos, typical of over-sharpened video.

Anyway, the upconverted 480p component video on this TV is just not the same quality as with my older LT46144. It has more artifacts and it just looks blurrier overall. Does anyone else see these issues with their 148/149 TV with 480i/p sources? Has there been a software update for this set? Mine has a build date of May 2008.

I did find a review of the LT52149 which mentions this issue, so I'm not optimistic that there is a solution: UltimateAVMag.com review of LT-52149

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-12-2009, 01:27 PM

hello, I have bought a Mitsubishi LT-52149 because of the sound bar it has. I am very pleased with picture, but the problem is that when I watch HD content with 5.1 sound enabled (PS3) I hear no dialog (I actually hear it but VERY quite), all other surr sounds are fine and clear but no conversation sounds (center speaker would be). Raising center speaker level in the Main menu doesn't help. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 04-11-2009, 09:01 AM

Is it safe to say that the LTXX149 series is one of the best kept secrets for both PQ and sound?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 AM

Yes!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:24 PM

After 4 months we still like ours very much.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 PM

If anyone is looking to purchase one of these, I have a brand new, factory sealed
LT-46149 for sale for 1499. I am on So. Calif (Los Angeles area). PM me if local and interested