Anyone have the Mitsubishi 149 series (w/ built-in soundbar)? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 113 Old 09-15-2009, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by black88mx6 View Post

Since these units are based on samsung pannels, it would be possible for them to come out with a 55 inch version. While I would like to see a larger size also, I didn't want to pass up the price I was offered for my lt52149.

Here are some settings I have found for the 149

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...tv/index7.html

Video Settings
Picture Mode: Natural
*Contrast: 63
*Brightness: 34
*Color: 40
*Tint: 36
Sharpness: 0 (HD), 13 (SD)
Color Temp: Low
Video Noise: High
*Back Light: 15
Global Settings
Film Mode: Auto
Smooth 120 Film Motion: High
On Remote
Format: Full Native

I also have found the service menu settings; I have yet to try them.

Service Menu

MENU on the remote and then 2, 4, 5, 7

pressing "play" and then either fast-forward or rewind brings up a set of test patterns. The rewind / ff keys cycle the patterns - they are in a loop.

Hours of Use

MENU on the remote and then 2, 4, 7, 0

I will publish my actual TV settings once I finish testing.

Did you ever post your actual settings? I have a LT-52246 and I think they are very, very similar. There isn't much about the 52246 on the net, so I'm researching people's settings on the 52149. I think I am the only person who has the color temp set on High.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeddings View Post

Did you ever post your actual settings? I have a LT-52246 and I think they are very, very similar. There isn't much about the 52246 on the net, so I'm researching people's settings on the 52149. I think I am the only person who has the color temp set on High.

I hope you are aware of the problems many are having with Samsung panels in older Mitsu models. It is a red or green vertical line that in many cases goes away in a few minutes. I just had the Samsung LCD panel in my year old 146 replaced. Luckily, Mitsu has acknowledged the problem and has extended the coverage of the problem in several models to 2 years. However, people with models older then the 146 series that had the problem twice were given the current model, which for awhile was the 146. I just read where someone with one of the older models recently had the replacement screen go bad so he is getting a replacement 153 series. I hope they have done something about this problem. I saw the invoice and the panel for my tv was over $1500. Good luck. BTW, turn around time was 8 days. I have read horror stories of problems with Samsung customer service, the repair man who fixed my set said that Samsung was making lots of customers angry.
post #93 of 113 Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

I hope you are aware of the problems many are having with Samsung panels in older Mitsu models. It is a red or green vertical line that in many cases goes away in a few minutes. I just had the Samsung LCD panel in my year old 146 replaced. Luckily, Mitsu has acknowledged the problem and has extended the coverage of the problem in several models to 2 years. However, people with models older then the 146 series that had the problem twice were given the current model, which for awhile was the 146. I just read where someone with one of the older models recently had the replacement screen go bad so he is getting a replacement 153 series. I hope they have done something about this problem. I saw the invoice and the panel for my tv was over $1500. Good luck. BTW, turn around time was 8 days. I have read horror stories of problems with Samsung customer service, the repair man who fixed my set said that Samsung was making lots of customers angry.

Yeah. I've read several posts about the problems with the panel. The problem is not isolated to Mitsubishis from what I have read. Luckily I haven't had a problem with my panel (knock on wood), but then again I haven't had it for very long. Unfortunately when I bought the TV I didn't know that the LT-52149 was basically the same as the LT-52246 and most of what I read about the 246 series was very positive.
post #94 of 113 Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 PM

This serves as my very first post at Avs Forum. What a wonderful source of information from everyone who posts!

I've been looking at HDTV's in the 46 inch range. I've seen the Mitsu LT-46149 on closeout at a couple stores and it is still offered online even though it is a discontinued model. I've been considering this model as well as a couple of the Sony's (the Z and W series).

The only reason I really would consider the 46149 is for the projection sound system. It does sound impressive. I prefer the 46149 over the newer 46151 due to the fact that the 149 has a semi-matte screen where as the 151 has a more reflective screen. Also, the price is cheaper on the 149.

I wanted to get input from those of you who have more experience with this model. My concerns are the postings from folks who have had the green/red line developing on their older Mitsu sets. Mitsu has not extended their warranty to the 149 series, but they have for other models. It seems a few people with the 149 series have had this same issue.

Also, the 149 does seem a little behind the times compared to some of this year's models that have internet connectivity and better video controls. The menus are not as slick and the 149 lacks a VGA port for a PC.

So for those of you who own the 149 series, are you still happy with it? I would assume hi-def looks great, but how well does it handle standard def material? What are your likes/dislikes?
post #95 of 113 Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM

I still love mine and we use it every day.
The sound is great. The subwoofer out is a nice touch as well.

Internet connectivity is a non-issue for me. I have an Xbox 360 and a LG internet connected BR player for Youtube and Netflix.
VGA would be nice, but I'd never use it.

I've had no problems what so ever with mine.
I LOVE the matte screen. It's one of the two main reasons I bought it, sound bar being the other.
post #96 of 113 Old 10-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Still love mine also. Picture and sound is great. Slow channel change if you like to surf. PC connections work great over HDMI.
post #97 of 113 Old 10-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Oh I may have said it in another post, but by far the biggest problem is the ridiculously slow power on!!!
post #98 of 113 Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 PM

CrashX / black88mx6 - Thanks for the super fast replies!

Mitsu is running a promo where some of the retailers are throwing in a free Polk subwoofer. At the store, the sub really gave some punch to the sound.

As for internet connectivity, I was thinking at first I wanted this in a new HDTV...but now days these features are showing up more on Blue-ray players. So I could get that functionality later I guess.

As for the lack of a VGA port, I've seen online (like at Monoprice) a VGA to HDMI converter that wasn't too expensive. I wonder how well that would work with the Mitsu?

CrashX-it's funny you mention the slow power up...I timed it at the store and it took 7 seconds to turn on. A Sony Z series took 3 seconds. LOL!

Has anyone tried using the TV Guide feature? It also seemed that this set had a higher power draw than other sets. I'm not sure if you all have noticed that.
post #99 of 113 Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM

Mine was built in July last year so I think I was one of the first to get this model. I got mine before Best Buy had it in stock here in Atlanta so I think this is the tip of the iceberg.That being said, I was told the 2 year warranty on the bad Samsung screens was in effect for the 149 series. I would get the longest warranty from a good company.
post #100 of 113 Old 10-19-2009, 05:13 PM

size14d - I called Mitsu a couple weeks ago to ask them about the extended coverage. They claimed that the 149 series was not covered....but maybe they are unofficially covering those sets on a case-by-case basis??? I assume you haven't had any problems with your set?

Good advice about an extended warranty. One retailer was offering an extended warranty from CPS (Consumer Priority Service) that was reasonably priced. I just don't know if they are any good. I did find a thread about CPS somewhere on Avs. It just seems you are always at the mercy of the provider and the fine print of the agreement.

You may already know this, but the following is posted under support on the Mitsu website:

Important Warranty Announcement for LCD TV Owners

If you have one of the following models please read below for an important announcement - LT-40133, LT-40134, LT-46144, LT-46244, LT-52133, LT-52144, LT-52244. It has come to our attention that a limited number of these Premium Flat Panel Televisions may have performance issues related to the LCD Module used in these sets. As part of our commitment to quality and customer satisfaction, MDEA is announcing an extension of the warranty coverage applicable to the LCD Module for the models listed above. For a period of one additional year beyond the one year limited warranty, MDEA will cover the cost of repair or replacing the LCD Module (parts and labor) at no charge to you. All other terms and conditions of the MDEA limited warranty will continue to apply.
post #101 of 113 Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM

I suppose power on might be slow also... My XBR1's do power on faster. I use this set with a cable card. This, plus the great sound and picture (matt screen a plus too) were what sold me on this set.
post #102 of 113 Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 PM

black88mx6 - you mentioned that the changing of channels is slow. Do you think the cable card is causing that latency? Would using the internal tuner for say over-the-air be just as slow?
post #103 of 113 Old 10-20-2009, 12:01 AM

Never tried the internal tuner for over the air. Also never use the TV guide data.
post #104 of 113 Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozeking View Post

size14d - I called Mitsu a couple weeks ago to ask them about the extended coverage. They claimed that the 149 series was not covered....but maybe they are unofficially covering those sets on a case-by-case basis??? I assume you haven't had any problems with your set?

Good advice about an extended warranty. One retailer was offering an extended warranty from CPS (Consumer Priority Service) that was reasonably priced. I just don't know if they are any good. I did find a thread about CPS somewhere on Avs. It just seems you are always at the mercy of the provider and the fine print of the agreement.

You may already know this, but the following is posted under support on the Mitsu website:

Important Warranty Announcement for LCD TV Owners

If you have one of the following models please read below for an important announcement - LT-40133, LT-40134, LT-46144, LT-46244, LT-52133, LT-52144, LT-52244. It has come to our attention that a limited number of these Premium Flat Panel Televisions may have performance issues related to the LCD Module used in these sets. As part of our commitment to quality and customer satisfaction, MDEA is announcing an extension of the warranty coverage applicable to the LCD Module for the models listed above. For a period of one additional year beyond the one year limited warranty, MDEA will cover the cost of repair or replacing the LCD Module (parts and labor) at no charge to you. All other terms and conditions of the MDEA limited warranty will continue to apply.

I had to have the panel replaced, if you go up higher in this thread you can see the details. The part would have cost me $1500 alone if they didn't cover it. When you call 1st level support, they have no clue what is going on, its like calling India and they pass the info they can't answer to 2nd level in the U.S. who responds in a couple of days.

Mine developed the line at almost the 1 year mark. I mean those models you list, some that had the line problem on those models got 149s as replacements.

But no matter what TV you get and ESPECIALLY if its a Samsung, get the longest extended warranty you can afford. The repair man said these flat panels are needing repairs at between 2-5 years and that Samsung was the worse for customer service, and Mitsu was great to deal with. And, if 2-5 years down the road you need a repair, he said the problem is that the part is either not available or as expensive as a new TV.
post #105 of 113 Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88mx6 View Post

I suppose power on might be slow also... My XBR1's do power on faster. I use this set with a cable card. This, plus the great sound and picture (matt screen a plus too) were what sold me on this set.

My 50 series LG turns on faster too, you get used to it.
post #106 of 113 Old 11-24-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozeking View Post

black88mx6 - you mentioned that the changing of channels is slow. Do you think the cable card is causing that latency? Would using the internal tuner for say over-the-air be just as slow?

I have an LT-52246 and changing channels from SD to HD is ridiculously slow. But, I've learned to live with it.
post #107 of 113 Old 12-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Just got a LT-46149....OMG what an awesome TV! And nothing is better than getting last year's model for over half off (Thank you electronics expo!)

Does anyone have the calibration settings for this TV? I found the settings for the 148 series on tweakTV and they look ok, but with access to the service menu I'd like to get everything dialed in.
post #108 of 113 Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 AM

I would also be interested in some calibration settings. Can seem to find any anywhere.
post #109 of 113 Old 01-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Pretty much the only thing I did was turn it off brilliant mode, the picture looks so good. You try one of the calibration discs?
post #110 of 113 Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I can get one of these for $899. Is that a good deal? Seems like most of the TVs in that price range for that style don't have 120Hz.
post #111 of 113 Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

I can get one of these for $899. Is that a good deal? Seems like most of the TVs in that price range for that style don't have 120Hz.

I recently picked up an open box LT-46149 for $800, after some haggling. I would say $899 for a new one is a nice deal, however you can get a 46" Sony W series for $999 with relative ease. I went with the Mitsu because of the speakers and slimmer profile, and the picture seemed as good as the Sony W.

The only thing I am not too pleased with, with the 46149 (inherent to LCDs) is the black level -- the screen has a noticeably (expected) milky hue during dark scenes, even after turning down the brightness and backlight. To me, the uneven milkiness of the screen during dark scenes is distracting, but I suppose the downfall of most traditionally-lit LCDs.
post #112 of 113 Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavinJohnson View Post

I recently picked up an open box LT-46149 for $800, after some haggling. I would say $899 for a new one is a nice deal, however you can get a 46" Sony W series for $999 with relative ease. I went with the Mitsu because of the speakers and slimmer profile, and the picture seemed as good as the Sony W.

The only thing I am not too pleased with, with the 46149 (inherent to LCDs) is the black level -- the screen has a noticeably (expected) milky hue during dark scenes, even after turning down the brightness and backlight. To me, the uneven milkiness of the screen during dark scenes is distracting, but I suppose the downfall of most traditionally-lit LCDs.

I don't have that problem. You might want to adjust it off Brilliant and perhaps adjust the backlight. TVs are shipped with the brightness turned all the way up so they stand out in the showroom. You have to tone them down once you get them home.
post #113 of 113 Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

Its not only 120hz that sets it apart, its the 16 speaker sound bar, similar to the one that Yamaha makes for several hundred bucks. It also has a subwoofer out and you can pick up a quality powered sub for around 100 bucks and have a pretty awesome sound from a TV. Do know that these TVs have a component, the LCD module/screen, made by Samsung that is causing a line to show up at between 1-2 years. You might want to check when it was built. Mine had the problem and there are threads on here about it. I would get the extended warranty, the part is over double what you are talking pricewise and usually when you have one of those warranties if the part is not available or super expensive, you get a new TV with compatible features.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page