34xbr960 with a Sony HTCT100 or other sound bar?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a 960 that I (and thankfully the wife too!) love, but my problem is that my receiver is literally ancient- it's circa 1991 or so, so no digital anything, just a few RCA connections. I got it when I was in high school and it was what I needed to listen to the radio and to CDs so it was fine.... It's also hooked up to an old (but working just fine) 3.1 speaker set that works, but well obviously no surround, etc....

But now I've got this great hi-def tv set, a PS3 for Blu-Rays and games, and an HD DVR from Dish and I'd like to use something other than the TV's speakers for audio. (My non upscaling DVD player is the only thing running through the receiver and is hooked up via component to the tv).

So I'm contemplating replacing my receiver with something like the Sony HTCT100- but my big problem is the entertainment center and a CRT tv set. (It sure seems like these sound bars are designed to work perfectly with an LCD/plasma screen- but otherwise they seem to be an odd fit). I certainly can't put the soundbar under the tv without some sort of new entertainment center built specifically for that; nor can I easily just place it on top of the set as I'm afraid it would fall off, etc....

So is anyone out there using a 960 (or other 34" sized HD CRT set) and a soundbar system of some sort? And if so- what sort of cabinet/media center do you have it in or how is it setup. (or is it hooked up/arranged in some sort of other method or enclosure? Custom bracket to mount/attach it to the top of the tv??)

My TV sits in the corner of the room (literally the entertainment center is in the corner on a 45degree angle)- so I've got a bit of room to work with, but I'm also a bit constricted by the fireplace on the left side of the tv.... but I'm open to suggestions on what to do with the idea of adding a soundbar and making it still be visually appealing to the setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2009, 12:39 AM

Why prefer that to a center channel speaker? You'll have an easy time finding one that sits on top just fine.

What you propose would be an ignorant-looking way to widen the stereo field, if that's what you're attempting.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-08-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ignorant??

I have a 15-17 year old receiver & speakers - wanting to replace them with something that is:

A. Within my currently limited budget (baby #2 is on the way), and....
B. Is pretty highly regarding considering it's price point

How is that ignorant?!?

Does anyone else have any constructive comments or thoughts, or even real experience with using a soundbar HTIB with a large CRT set like the XBR960?

Thanks for your help!
post #4 of 7 Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

The Sony HTCT100 is a compromise towards simplicity, but still an upgrade over the tinny speakers in the flat panel sets. (Your Sony TV's speakers are better than any I know of built into a TV now). If you have good existing speakers, you may like the results better to use them with a modern surround receiver and get additional speakers. You will also still have your full system for music, radio reception. The Sony is not a receiver. Craigslist where I live has a lot of good speakers and occasionally receivers for good deals. Denon and Onkyo make packaged receiver based systems (HTIB).
post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 AM

I understand how budget constraints are. I buy just about everything either used or refurbished!

I've got a slightly smaller Philips 30" CRT running thru a Sony STR-DE635 tuner from about 1999. I bought it used about 5 years ago, and it works great. It's a 5.1 receiver to which I have a set of Pioneer center and rear surround speakers connected. The front speakers are 35-year old big Panasonics that I took from an old Panasonic tuner/turntable combo setup. The sub is a Sony 35-watter that puts out plenty of deep sound in our 320-SF family room.

This setup works great and most of it fits in an entertainment center that includes the TV, the Sony receiver, the center speaker, an LG LST-3510A digital tuner / upscaling DVD player, another DVD player, and a VCR. All the components sit under the TV on stacked shelves.

To solve your immediate problem, I'd suggest looking for an inexpensive set of speakers. The Pioneers I have were offered on Overstock.com and cost about $45 shipped. Look on eBay for a nice used Sony receiver, or equivalent. I recently sold one there for $79. You can find a lot of good digital receivers that will run you under $100 delivered.

My cobbled system sounds good to me. I'm sure I could make it a little better with better speakers, but my family is happy. A lot of what you hear is the result of the time spent in properly locating and adjusting speakers. You can spend as much money as you want to, but there are ways to get where you want to go without breaking the bank.

John
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Harpeth-

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately due to the layout of my room (and because of my wife's demands), going with a true surround isn't an option at this point- which is why I'm intrigued by a soundbar that can fake 5.1 type sound very well.

Oh, and I'm like you- I buy A LOT of stuff used or refurbished. My tv, my PS/3 - both Craigslist acquisitions. Most of my computers are either used or refurb's I buy straight from Apple.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 AM

Sounds like the way we do things, Jason. We use Macs too, all either refurbs or used.

John
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page