Need Sony Sound Bar Hook Up Advice-TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plan on purchasing the Sony HT-CT100 sound bar. I have a 5yr old Toshiba 36AF12 100% digital Color Stream NON-HDTV with no HDMI ports. I would like advice on how to hook this up correctly. To begin with... Must I have HDMI ports on my tv for this sytem to work? I also have a Motorola Moxie Box DVR.. how will this effect the way I should wire this?...and which remote to use for the sound bar and tv...my current moxie box remote or now the new sony remote AND my current moxie remote. If so,how do I wire all this properly?

What cables will I need to purchase to maximize this hook up? Two different sources told me that since my tv has no hdmi ports that this sound bar is impossible to hook up and another told me it will work if wired correctly. Wow, am I confused. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There's actually a thread dedicated to this soundbar, I just bought one too.

but to answer your question no you don't need HDMI, you can hook up your Cable box to the CT100 with the optical and you should be all set. Same with your DVD player.
The CT100 comes with 1 optical cord, so you may have to buy another for your other consols.

Or you could just hook up the Optical out from the TV to the CT100 and not do anything else and you're all set. It may not pass 5.1 though, we know it's doesn't pass 5.1 if your TV is connected to the cable box via HDMI but not sure on your set up. I would actually gives this route a shot and see what happens. If you don't get 5.1 then go back to plan A

Loads of info on this unit in it's thread.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the help....

I do not have any optical ports on my tv nor my Motorola Moxie box which is not a DVD player. I DO NOT have a DVD player.I lease the Moxie from Charter Cable it is a DVR which records to a hard drive. Please advise on to how to hook up the Sony Sound Bar with configs below:

The following is looking at the back of my TV:
ant1 out ant2

OUT dvd in IN
video color stream input slot y slot slot slot s-video
l/mono l/audio pb slot slot video
r/mono r/audio pr slot slot L/mono
slot R/mono
video2 video2

The DVR has DVI-D SPDIF USB ETHERNET (ports)
Old 01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
use the SPDIF(Opticle) from your DVR out to the CT100 (you can use the opticle that comes with the soundbar) and you'll be good to go.