Soundbar type solution w/o bouncing sound? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 585 Old 05-15-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a studio type headphone amp and mixer (a cheap one) that I hooked up just for fun to a ZVOX to see how it would work. The idea occurred to me because, during testing, I noticed when I hooked up to the line out of a DVD player and directly into the ZVOX the max volume was less than when using my TV's audio out. (And I believe someone else, earlier in this thread, also mentioned this idea.)

As expected, I could get a noticeable increase in volume using the amp. More testing will be needed. Over-driving the inputs would cause distortion, some amps introduce noise, and so on. I have recently been surveying the low-end headphone amp market, anyway, for other reasons, so now seems like a good time to check this out.

And when I say low-end, I mean it. A lot of people happily pay several hundred dollars or more for a top notch headphone amp. (You can pay over a thousand if you want.) I'm not going there. I'm looking at the cheap stuff. The idea is to see if a cheap headphone amp can be a worthwhile addition to a ZVOX unit in some situations.

Stay tuned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 585 Old 05-16-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One thing I have noticed is that due to the clean sound of the ZVOX, it is easy to get the volume up without realizing how loud it truly is. After a couple of episodes where someone would walk in and comment on how loud the sound levels were, plus my own tests in consciously lowering the volume and then waiting to 'adjust' and see if it was still sufficient, I've realized it's louder than I realize many times.

Now, I like loud, sometimes, but this is an interesting phenomenon. I did a little research and found some info about clean (low distortion) sound and how distortion influences our perception of loudness. Interesting stuff.

Anyway, I have learned that I can back off the volume and wait and listen at lower levels and it still sounds fine. So now I am conscious of this and find myself listening at somewhat lower volume levels with the ZVOX than with my old system.

So, take note and save some wear and tear on those ears!
post #273 of 585 Old 05-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post

Well, you knew this was coming, right? I snagged a 408 off ZVOX's ebay list. I, too, could not resist the price, even though I paid the full 'buy it now' price of $149 - still a steal.

I believe the 408 was the first model to drop the physical controls and go fully remote. It also has a grey traditional cloth speaker grille vs. the black metal grille of the other units. It has the rectangular 'sound bar' style footprint of the 4xx series, and is about 2/3 the width of the 415 (roughly), but an inch taller and maybe 2 inches deeper (again roughly) than the 415. It is the only unit I know of to incorporate a dome tweeter.

That's all I'm going to say for now, because I want Feisty1 to have the honor of posting his impressions here first. That and the fact that I am still a little weak kneed and faint, having just listened to Alison Krauss singing "Can't Find My Way Home." (The phrase "angelic" is an over-used cliche, but, lord, is it the right word for her pipes! )

Nice to see someone else is a sucker for for low prices, "bron"!!! I'll give my impression shortly-have to be careful with wife--been on a shopping spree for electronic gadgets lately--been lucky so far as wife has not noticed new receiver, two BD players, surround speakers and a 550! The 550 has been around for three months and it blends so well she doesn't have a clue it is there. But the 408 she noticed-however, she just came back from a bingo splurge at Foxwoods and could not say anything. I plan on hooking up the 408 after the refurb. 520 from harmony comes Tuesday.
post #274 of 585 Old 05-16-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty1 View Post

Nice to see someone else is a sucker for for low prices, "bron"!!! I'll give my impression shortly-have to be careful with wife--been on a shopping spree for electronic gadgets lately--been lucky so far as wife has not noticed new receiver, two BD players, surround speakers and a 550! The 550 has been around for three months and it blends so well she doesn't have a clue it is there. But the 408 she noticed-however, she just came back from a bingo splurge at Foxwoods and could not say anything. I plan on hooking up the 408 after the refurb. 520 from harmony comes Tuesday.

Ha ha - Ah, too funny, feisty1!

I'll wait patiently. I understand your situation all too well.
post #275 of 585 Old 05-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Ha ha - Ah, too funny, feisty1!

OK, quick 30 minute listening review-VERY NICE-WARM, SPACIOUS SOUND-with good treble!! You are going to be very pleasantly surprised! I attribute it to the larger speakers. Different than my 550 which I would describe as clean and punchy, but to my ears, the 408 is warm-easy listening-I may have the bass turned up to high. Easy to see what it was designed for-fits perfectly on the shelf of an older Busch like TV stand.

My only regret is that I am using it in application where I was not supposed to-the bedroom. I really bought it for my vacation home! I like it so much that it looks as if i have to get something else for the vacation home and leave this one where it is. How did you snag that 408??? Not to many came up-3 or 4. Really don't want to spring for another 550 and the others just don't fit a typical TV stand.
post #276 of 585 Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, quick 30 minute listening review-VERY NICE-WARM, SPACIOUS SOUND-with good treble!! You are going to be very pleasantly surprised! I attribute it to the larger speakers. Different than my 550 which I would describe as clean and punchy, but to my ears, the 408 is warm-easy listening-I may have the bass turned up to high. Easy to see what it was designed for-fits perfectly on the shelf of an older Busch like TV stand.

My only regret is that I am using it in application where I was not supposed to-the bedroom. I really bought it for my vacation home! I like it so much that it looks as if i have to get something else for the vacation home and leave this one where it is. How did you snag that 408??? Not to many came up-3 or 4. Really don't want to spring for another 550 and the others just don't fit a typical TV stand.

Yes, I am feeling quite lucky to have gotten one. The last one listed, I think. That's why I paid the "buy it now" price instead of bidding (only $20 more). And I am with you. If I could get another one, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. I really like the footprint. It's near the perfect size for my purpose - which is music! It's about the size of your average bookshelf speaker (as you know).

I have it hooked up (currently) to my wifi Aluratek internet radio/FM radio/mp3/media player/streamer on a shelf near my recliner and it looks great and sounds great. Very attractive and very functional. Although the Aluratek has analog stereo out, I use the headphone out which lets me control the volume via the Aluratek remote. Very nice.

Yes, I really like the sound (have only used it for music and radio so far). I did a quick test with my MP3 player when I first got it and was blown away. It's very nice for music. By the way, I read an article that said these were originally designed especially for use on a new luxury train being built in China. They were to supply the audio in the luxury cars on the train, I think.

The only thing close in size is the ZVOX "Mini" -- if you don't mind possibly sending it back -- they do offer a free 30-day trial. And right now they have the sale price plus a free carry bag offer going. It might suffice for your bedroom or the vacation home. Not as loud, maybe, but definitely loud enough for a bedroom. It has the physical controls, too.

If you try one, make sure you turn up the sub-level control in the back to at least half-way or better, or it won't have a full sound. Once you crank that up, it sounds pretty good to me. I use one in the living room by a wing chair while working on my laptop sometimes and it's plenty loud. Again, using it mostly for internet radio and music, I tried it also with a portable DVD player and it was good. In fact, it makes a superb combo with a portable DVD player or mp3 player. (They and another seller were offering the white models cheap ($99) and I picked up several. It's an indulgence, for sure, but after listening to them, it's hard to be happy with something less. And music is one area where I don't mind indulging myself!)

Cheers!
post #277 of 585 Old 05-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Hi "brons", I paid full price also, rather than risk losing the sale. Quick question. How would you compare the 325 and the 408? I need another unit and don't really feel like springing for another 550.
post #278 of 585 Old 05-20-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Ha ha - Ah, too funny, feisty1! [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k09f0423lglc/b.gif[/IMG]

It is really better to have a cheap price in getting one.
post #279 of 585 Old 05-21-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi "brons", I paid full price also, rather than risk losing the sale. Quick question. How would you compare the 325 and the 408? I need another unit and don't really feel like springing for another 550.

They are pretty close. I don't have my 325 hooked up (it's upstairs to make way for other gear) at the moment, so I cannot do a direct side-by-side listening test. Maybe I'll find time to do that this weekend (and maybe not ). But I would say they're in the same ballpark. Same power, close to same size, except 325 much deeper. I suspect the 325 might have a bit more bass (due to cabinet size and depth) but I also suspect the 408 might have a slightly nicer "contour" over the full spectrum - but these are just guesses. I think I'd be hard pressed to tell much difference, actually, under most situations.

The 325 has the physical controls I love and has long been a favorite of mine, but the footprint and appearance of the 408 are very nice. Since what you're really asking is, is the 325 a good choice since no more 408's seem available, I'd say - yes. Although I still think the mini is viable if you want something smaller in size.

For TV (home theatre) though, I'd go with the 325 (better bass, volume).
post #280 of 585 Old 05-25-2009, 09:42 AM

I'm trying out the ZVOX 425 right now. Overall I like it, but it seems to be missing the separation of discrete speakers (understandably). More importantly, it's really difficult to place the 425 without using wall mounts. Does anyone know of something similar (integrated subwoofer, no receiver), but with two cabinets instead of one? Thanks
post #281 of 585 Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 PM

i'm thinking of getting the 325 since i'll be in a small apartment and won't be able to wall-mount anything, which kinda leaves out the ct-100/upcoming ct-500 (although i suppose they're possible to put right in front of the tv, but i think that'd look tacky), and i had some questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1. i know these aren't really meant to emulate surround sound at all, but i'm wondering, when you set your movie's audio/xbox 360's audio, what do you set it to? 2.1, 5.1, or something else?
2. as long as the 325 is plugged in analog, anything that's done hdmi through the tv will output the sound through the 325, correct?
3. how is the sound when it comes to playing games?

thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.
post #282 of 585 Old 05-26-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post

i'm thinking of getting the 325 since i'll be in a small apartment and won't be able to wall-mount anything, which kinda leaves out the ct-100/upcoming ct-500 (although i suppose they're possible to put right in front of the tv, but i think that'd look tacky), and i had some questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1. i know these aren't really meant to emulate surround sound at all, but i'm wondering, when you set your movie's audio/xbox 360's audio, what do you set it to? 2.1, 5.1, or something else?
2. as long as the 325 is plugged in analog, anything that's done hdmi through the tv will output the sound through the 325, correct?

What your ZVOX will be receiving is what your TV ANALOG puts out, which is two channel audio. I don't think it matters what the X-BOX setting is.

My cable box is connected to the TV via HDMI and my TV outputs the audio in two channel analog to my ZVOX 550.

Give consideration to the 550 rather than the 325 due to its deeper base for games.
post #283 of 585 Old 05-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Hows does a 3.1 channel soundbar process a 7.1 channel source over LPCM (referring to the CT-100/500). Does it stack the 4 rear channels on the 2 fronts or does it simply mute the rear 4? Thank you.
post #284 of 585 Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrain811 View Post

I'm trying out the ZVOX 425 right now. Overall I like it, but it seems to be missing the separation of discrete speakers (understandably). More importantly, it's really difficult to place the 425 without using wall mounts. Does anyone know of something similar (integrated subwoofer, no receiver), but with two cabinets instead of one? Thanks

Welcome! Hope you're enjoying your 425. I agree, it's a monster and hard to place, the 415 is much smaller and easier to deal with. But the 425 is the big mo!

Re: separation -- If you have a good program source, you should be hearing good separation when you turn the PhaseCue up just a bit. In my tests, the speakers sounded roughly 8-16 feet apart, say 12 average. Of course, the effect varied greatly with the material. There is almost no separation for generic material (e.g. news casts, old TV shoes in mono, and so on). But with a good music or video source, you should be smiling, not scratching your head!

Try plugging a CD or mp3 player into the front jack, with some good CD's with good production values (i.e. not the $6 greatest hits from the 60's) and turn the PhaseCue to just the 2 or 3 level and you should hear stereo sound with good separation. May be able to turn up PhaseCue a bit more on some sources. Maybe try a dvd source direct to the 425.

A lot of broadcast TV is crappy, though some is great. I watch very little broadcast TV or Cable, so maybe I've been spoiled? Anyway, you should be hearing some good separation, so I am puzzled as to why you aren't.

The 425's do have a stronger center channel (or so it seems to me), but I still get good "virtual" separation with good sound sources. Keep playing with it. But, if it does not work, then I agree you should consider other sources. I'm sure others can recommend some alternatives.

I had a 3.1/2.1 setup myself before getting ZVOX, but I get a "bigger" sound from the ZVOX - much bigger. That's one of the things that got me so enthralled with ZVOX gear. Simple and big sound.

Good luck!
post #285 of 585 Old 05-26-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post

Feisty1 answered most of your questions. I'll just add my 2 cents and maybe differ slightly. Opinions is what this thread is all about, right? So...

I can't imagine anyone not being happy with the bass from the 325 for gaming. Unless you're looking for "loosen my fillings" type output. I do not have a 550 and have no doubt it has superior bass output. But everything is relative. It costs a lot more, too.

The test is, will you be happy playing games with a 325? And I say, yes, since that's exactly one of the targeted uses I quickly seized upon for it and the mini. The 325 has some pretty punchy bass, too. And it has a sub-out as well if you ever feel the need for more. There are some cheap subs (<$100 - some for $50 or less on sale or closeout) that would work fine for gaming.

Anyway, I think a 325 is a great choice. If you can afford the 550, go for it, but I think you'll be perfectly happy with a 325. As everyone here knows, it's one of my favorites.

Cheers!
post #286 of 585 Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicM3 View Post

Hows does a 3.1 channel soundbar process a 7.1 channel source over LPCM (referring to the CT-100/500). Does it stack the 4 rear channels on the 2 fronts or does it simply mute the rear 4? Thank you.

Now where's my friend da1writer? I bet he'd know the answer to this. Don't have a clue, myself!
post #287 of 585 Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

The answer is that it "simulates" 7.1 LPCM. It also simulates Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, 5.1 LPCM, and more as well and the technology is pretty astounding. Imagine this...
A real sound setup positions the audio in the room but must be placed in those certain areas (ie Rear speakers need to be behind you etc.). A soundbar however either creates a dome like field (Polkaudio Surroundbar, ZVOX, etc.) or bounces sound beams off the walls (Yamaha YSP, Sony HT-CT series, etc.).
It's a different kind of surround that is nothing like a Real setup but still enveloping.
For Deeper thought, do you use a sound card that has a Virtual Dolby Digital setting for Headphones (Creatives cards do, I think AC97 does as well)? How does it do 5.1 or 7.1 sound from just headphones? Certain companies have figured out a way to trick our ears into thinking sound is all around us when it really isn't. The way they figured it out is a mystery to me but I can explain a little bit !

Bouncing Sound:
Producing left and right channels is of course easy but then soundbars tries to spill the sound outside the box itself by filling in the gaps virtually in between the area of the left and right sounds, broadening the surround field. As for rear effects (not rear sound, they are different), most soundbars try to cause an echo, which then is suppose to be pushed right behind. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, aka very few are able to hear rear effects. It usually entails if you have the sofa not against the wall, the farther away from the wall, the more room the rear effects have to be produced/bounced.

Dome fields:
Almost like bouncing soundbars, they create a somewhat Enveloping type of surround sound like your in a dome/bubble. It only goes so far though and some companies produce settings that broaden that field.

The surround can be convincing at times, especially with games and movies that use "Directional Sound". Movies like Diehard (on Bluray) and Games like Ratchet and Clank Future are going to make you wonder how the soundbar is able to produce sound in various places in your room. Of course soundbars are not for everyone and can't be explained deeply because you have to try one yourself.

Despite my love of the CT100, I know for a fact that only ONE Soundbar (besides Passive soundbars and Mittsubishi's TV/Sounbar combo) causes a very near gray line between real 5.1 sound systems and soundbars: The Yamaha YSP's...

PSN- da1writer
My Sony CT-100 Settings (& PS3 Settings) *UPDATED 1/10/09*
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15172017
post #288 of 585 Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Feisty1 answered most of your questions. I'll just add my 2 cents and maybe differ slightly. Opinions is what this thread is all about, right? So...

I can't imagine anyone not being happy with the bass from the 325 for gaming. Unless you're looking for "loosen my fillings" type output. I do not have a 550 and have no doubt it has superior bass output. But everything is relative. It costs a lot more, too.

The test is, will you be happy playing games with a 325? And I say, yes, since that's exactly one of the targeted uses I quickly seized upon for it and the mini. The 325 has some pretty punchy bass, too. And it has a sub-out as well if you ever feel the need for more. There are some cheap subs (<$100 - some for $50 or less on sale or closeout) that would work fine for gaming.

Anyway, I think a 325 is a great choice. If you can afford the 550, go for it, but I think you'll be perfectly happy with a 325. As everyone here knows, it's one of my favorites.

Cheers!

Bought the 325 for the vacation house. Can't report on comparison with 550 until August when it will be hooked up. My comment on the base extension of the 550 was based purely on the specs. of both units. Yes, the 550 is significantly more expensive than the 325, and -no-the 550 will not cause your teeth to fall out from low frequency response. For that you will need a small subwoofer.

Whether the difference in price between the 550 and the 325 is worth the extra base extension of the 550 is subjective, and I think will vary from one person to another. At the same time the 550 has other features to justify the price differential. And yes, for the price differential you could buy a small subwoofer for the 325 which will give you more bass than you will get from the 550. It all depends on what the user is looking for!
post #289 of 585 Old 05-27-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bought the 325 for the vacation house. Can't report on comparison with 550 until August when it will be hooked up. My comment on the base extension of the 550 was based purely on the specs. of both units. Yes, the 550 is significantly more expensive than the 325, and -no-the 550 will not cause your teeth to fall out from low frequency response. For that you will need a small subwoofer.

Whether the difference in price between the 550 and the 325 is worth the extra base extension of the 550 is subjective, and I think will vary from one person to another. At the same time the 550 has other features to justify the price differential. And yes, for the price differential you could buy a small subwoofer for the 325 which will give you more bass than you will get from the 550. It all depends on what the user is looking for!

Congrats on the 325 and I do hope you'll like it.

I quite agree with everything you said and will add that the 550 may be one of the more amazing units simply because of it's footprint and ability to "disappear" under your TV. Everyone who has reviewed it says it's just amazing the sound it can produce from such a slim unit.

As I've said myself, often I think you just pick whichever unit has the cabinet size and shape that fits your needs and you'll be happy.
post #290 of 585 Old 05-27-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1writer View Post

The answer is that it "simulates" 7.1 LPCM. It also simulates Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, 5.1 LPCM, and more as well and the technology is pretty astounding. Imagine this...

Despite my love of the CT100, I know for a fact that only ONE Soundbar (besides Passive soundbars and Mittsubishi's TV/Sounbar combo) causes a very near gray line between real 5.1 sound systems and soundbars: The Yamaha YSP's...

Many thanks, my friend, I knew you'd be able to answer his question!

Regards!
post #291 of 585 Old 05-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:

A real sound setup positions the audio in the room but must be placed in those certain areas (ie Rear speakers need to be behind you etc.). A soundbar however either creates a dome like field (Polkaudio Surroundbar, ZVOX, etc.) or bounces sound beams off the walls (Yamaha YSP, Sony HT-CT series, etc.).
It's a different kind of surround that is nothing like a Real setup but still enveloping.
For Deeper thought, do you use a sound card that has a Virtual Dolby Digital setting for Headphones (Creatives cards do, I think AC97 does as well)? How does it do 5.1 or 7.1 sound from just headphones? Certain companies have figured out a way to trick our ears into thinking sound is all around us when it really isn't. The way they figured it out is a mystery to me but I can explain a little bit !

Bouncing Sound:
Producing left and right channels is of course easy but then soundbars tries to spill the sound outside the box itself by filling in the gaps virtually in between the area of the left and right sounds, broadening the surround field. As for rear effects (not rear sound, they are different), most soundbars try to cause an echo, which then is suppose to be pushed right behind. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, aka very few are able to hear rear effects. It usually entails if you have the sofa not against the wall, the farther away from the wall, the more room the rear effects have to be produced/bounced.

Dome fields:
Almost like bouncing soundbars, they create a somewhat Enveloping type of surround sound like your in a dome/bubble. It only goes so far though and some companies produce settings that broaden that field.

The surround can be convincing at times, especially with games and movies that use "Directional Sound". Movies like Diehard (on Bluray) and Games like Ratchet and Clank Future are going to make you wonder how the soundbar is able to produce sound in various places in your room. Of course soundbars are not for everyone and can't be explained deeply because you have to try one yourself.

Thanks for the info once again. I still haven't discerned what is actually happening to the 7.1 channels though haha.

Ok one more try...so 7 channels are being sent to the CT, which has only 3 channels. I understand how the soundbar either creates a dome or bounces the sound, I get this. I am trying to figure out if all 7 channels come out of the 3 speakers or only 3 channels come out of the 3 speakers and the remaining 4 are simply ignored.......
post #292 of 585 Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:

I am trying to figure out if all 7 channels come out of the 3 speakers or only 3 channels come out of the 3 speakers and the remaining 4 are simply ignored.......

The CT100 outputs all seven channels out of three speakers.
post #293 of 585 Old 05-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edik View Post

The CT100 outputs all seven channels out of three speakers.

Really!? Am I correct in assuming the back right and surround right come out of the right speaker, while the back left and surround left come out of the left speaker, and the center comes out of the center?
post #294 of 585 Old 05-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Really!? Am I correct in assuming the back right and surround right come out of the right speaker, while the back left and surround left come out of the left speaker, and the center comes out of the center?

He is correct (it simulates the sound) and it is true (and sounds unbelievable). The CT100 is dependent on room size though otherwise the surround is killed. A Yamaha YSP is dependent on 4 walls and room size. You definitely need to try a soundbar, all will be explained once you hear it for yourself !

PSN- da1writer
My Sony CT-100 Settings (& PS3 Settings) *UPDATED 1/10/09*
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15172017
post #295 of 585 Old 05-29-2009, 08:18 AM

Just sent you a private message.
post #296 of 585 Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 PM

Sorry if this has been addressed previously in this thread, but for those of you who have purchased the units refurbished from Zvox on ebay, what kind of cosmetic damage did you see?
post #297 of 585 Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:

He is correct (it simulates the sound) and it is true (and sounds unbelievable). The CT100 is dependent on room size though otherwise the surround is killed. A Yamaha YSP is dependent on 4 walls and room size. You definitely need to try a soundbar, all will be explained once you hear it for yourself !

Lol, once again I didn't ask if it simulated sound (I know it does), I was curious if all 7 channels came out of the 3 channels because I don't want to output a 7.1 TrueHD track and have the 4 rear channels not be heard because there are only 3 channels.
post #298 of 585 Old 06-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
My understanding is that the Sony HT-CT100 has three drivers in the soundbar, one in the subwoofer unit.

So some number of discrete channels are fed into the unit (2.0 / 5.1 / 7.1 / etc). The unit applies its proprietary signal processing (likely using psychoacoustic algorithms in the vein of Dolby Headphone processing, like da1Writer mentioned) via its DSP engine. I am guessing it mostly works by altering phase/delays since it cannot "beam" like a Yamaha YSP can. The resulting output signal is amplified and sent to the speakers and sub.

I think you can safely say, in general, for a 7.1 input signal, the left front/left surround/left rear will be output from the left driver, the center will be output from the center driver, and the right front/right surround/right rear will be output from the right driver. But the phasing/delays will be applied to the surround and rear channels so as to make the brain perceive them as coming from a source other than the little speaker bar in front of you. LFE and anything below the crossover cutoff frequency will go to the sub. Ditto for a 5.1 signal (except of course, the rear channels go away). I imagine it can probably process a 6.1 input signal too -- that is the case where I'm really curious about what it would do... would it try to split the rear signal between the left and right drivers, or mute it entirely?
post #299 of 585 Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec View Post

My understanding is that the Sony HT-CT100 has three drivers in the soundbar, one in the subwoofer unit.

So some number of discrete channels are fed into the unit (2.0 / 5.1 / 7.1 / etc). The unit applies its proprietary signal processing (likely using psychoacoustic algorithms in the vein of Dolby Headphone processing, like da1Writer mentioned) via its DSP engine. I am guessing it mostly works by altering phase/delays since it cannot "beam" like a Yamaha YSP can. The resulting output signal is amplified and sent to the speakers and sub.

I think you can safely say, in general, for a 7.1 input signal, the left front/left surround/left rear will be output from the left driver, the center will be output from the center driver, and the right front/right surround/right rear will be output from the right driver. But the phasing/delays will be applied to the surround and rear channels so as to make the brain perceive them as coming from a source other than the little speaker bar in front of you. LFE and anything below the crossover cutoff frequency will go to the sub. Ditto for a 5.1 signal (except of course, the rear channels go away). I imagine it can probably process a 6.1 input signal too -- that is the case where I'm really curious about what it would do... would it try to split the rear signal between the left and right drivers, or mute it entirely?

Thank you for the detailed clarification. Would this theory apply to my current 7.1 speaker set up where I have a 7.1 input signal but have the receiver set to stereo, meaning the left front/left surround/left rear will come out of the left driver, the right front/left surround/left rear will come out of the right driver, and the center will come out of both the left and right drivers? Or does stereo simply mute the back 4 and center channel.

Also, do soundbars such as the CT-100/500 have a stereo option for when surround becomes tiresome?

Thank you.
post #300 of 585 Old 06-04-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbman29 View Post

Sorry if this has been addressed previously in this thread, but for those of you who have purchased the units refurbished from Zvox on ebay, what kind of cosmetic damage did you see?

1. 550-Some slight smudes on top of unit. None in front. TV on top hides all.

2. 408-Brand new unit. When I called ZVOX on delivery info, the advised that the unit offered for sale on e-bay were just found in the back of the warehouse. This model was discontinued quite awhile ago.

3. 325-A silver unit that was noted on e-bay as having more than the usual blemishes-like dings! Priced $30 less than other units of the same model. Opened the box and the unit appears to be brand new!!!!

I heartily endorse buying off e-bay. I know another frequent poster has done the same and been very satisfied!
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page