Soundbar type solution w/o bouncing sound? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bron will probably be by shortly to provide some really good advice, since he is the ZVOX King . I think he is on West Coast time.

Anywho...If you use the automatic on/off feature, you really don't have to worry about turning your ZVOX system on or off - it will automatically turn on when an audio signal is detected and turn "off" when no signal is detected. At least that is how my Zbase 550 automatic on/off works.

Of course, as ZVOX pointed out to you, the automatic mode is not a true shut off - rather, it is an 'automatic standby' mode. I prefer the automatic standby mode, since I also have a music source connected to my 550 and like my ZVOX unit to come on automatically whenever I start playing music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 11:56 AM

now that the on/off is figured out the only other thing i'm having trouble with is that i can't get at the mini jack on the front panel to plug my mp3 player into. this is not a zvox problem, it's a problem in where i have the 425 set up. i just can't reach that jack.

so what i'm thinking is the following...i buy a cable that has a mini jack on one end and rca plugs onto the other. i plug the rca into input2 on the back of the 425 and have enough length so i can get to the mini jack end. then, when i want to play the mp3 player i just plug it into the minijack. will this work, and will it cause any problems with the 425 having both input 1 and input 2 filled? i seem to recall that these are 'mix' inputs but i will only have one signal 'live' at any point in time.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:33 PM

I have both inputs plugged in all the time - one with my TV and one with my music source. No problems whatsoever - just use them one at a time. Now, if you want to try something unique (or bizarre ), have both your TV sound and your mp3 player on at the same time .
Old 02-05-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post

so i ended up getting the 425, local seller for a bit below $300 which i thought was worth it. got it home after work and lo and behold it was set up and running just as easily and quickly as they say....rca into audio out on my tv, turned the audio off on the tv and variable output to on, and voila!

the sound is superb, a real pleasure. i wish my tv sound board went out a long time ago...first thing i played was my normal home theater test dvd--the launch scene from apollo 13. really nicely balanced sound with nice base. as others have said, this won't compare to 5.1, but for my application i couldn't be more pleased. the only issue i have with the setup is that i have to use the zvox remote to power on and off the 425, which is a pain since the 425 sits up above the tv so is about 7 feet off the ground. i can get it to work but it is awkward and i'm sure we will forget to power it off pretty often. i think the only solution to this is to buy another harmony remote and program it to run the tv, the cable box, the dvd player and the zvox...but for now this is really great. thanks for all the posts here, it really made the difference in my decision (as did the local seller at a good price).

You got a great deal! Wow! Enjoy.

I was coming in to post to you about the auto on/off feature which works very well for me, but I see you've already figured it out.

The 425 is awesome -- enjoy. Play with the Phase Cue and get the right source and I think you will be even more impressed. It's outstanding for music, too. So put in a CD, hook up your mp3 player, or somehow try out some music and I think you'll love it.

Harmony works fine with it, too, by the way.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellusedwallet View Post

Bron will probably be by shortly to provide some really good advice, since he is the ZVOX King . I think he is on West Coast time.

Anywho...If you use the automatic on/off feature, you really don't have to worry about turning your ZVOX system on or off - it will automatically turn on when an audio signal is detected and turn "off" when no signal is detected. At least that is how my Zbase 550 automatic on/off works.

Of course, as ZVOX pointed out to you, the automatic mode is not a true shut off - rather, it is an 'automatic standby' mode. I prefer the automatic standby mode, since I also have a music source connected to my 550 and like my ZVOX unit to come on automatically whenever I start playing music.

Exactly right, my friend!

You covered it well. It uses very little power in standby mode, so nothing to worry about there.

I saw a good price on a 550 and almost bought it, even though I have absolutely no need for it...it's a disease! LOL!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellusedwallet View Post

I have both inputs plugged in all the time - one with my TV and one with my music source. No problems whatsoever - just use them one at a time. Now, if you want to try something unique (or bizarre ), have both your TV sound and your mp3 player on at the same time .

Again! Correct. It should work fine.

And Cohenfive, you'll love it for playing your mp3's!

Cheers!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:59 PM

i just have to get the cable...probably the only one i don't already have! i guess it's back to monoprice for the upteenth time...
Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 PM

Lots of great information in this thread. I'm still trying to talk myself into getting one of these ZVOX units. Nice to see they're starting to add digital connections on the new models. Too bad they're still offered on only a few of the units. They're really lagging behind the times here.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler_09 View Post

Lots of great information in this thread. I'm still trying to talk myself into getting one of these ZVOX units. Nice to see they're starting to add digital connections on the new models. Too bad they're still offered on only a few of the units. They're really lagging behind the times here.

Welcome, Traveler_09!

There are a couple of things behind their stand on analog vs. digital. First, it adds a lot of cost to the unit and was not a real issue until they started dropping analog outputs. Second, analog sounds just as good as digital. Most people cannot tell the difference. And finally, analog makes everything simple. This last part is something I really like. You can hook up just about anything to a ZVOX system.

But, they are adjusting to the market needs and adding digital for those who need it. I just hope they keep the analog only models (at a lower price) for those who do not.

Anyway, welcome and I hope you find the right solution for your needs!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Analogue sounds just as good as digital? Either you're crazy or a shill for ZVOX. The fact that they don't have pseudo 5.1 and is analogue only make these units a joke.

Chicken Run is WAY ahead of Citizen Kane....alphabetically speaking of course!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:49 PM

well i'm no shill but i also don't think 5.1 and 2.1 sound the same....but regardless i really like the sound coming out of my zvoz 425. for my application it works really well as a great sounding soundbar for a bedroom hd tv installation....huge upgrade from the onboard sound on the tv. plus it was a piece of cake to install and i can plug my mp3 player directly into it to play our music...so for me it's a great device, but i don't think it's fair to stack it up against a 5.1 system. great company to deal with as well, another big plus from my perspective.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodguy View Post

Analogue sounds just as good as digital? Either you're crazy or a shill for ZVOX. The fact that they don't have pseudo 5.1 and is analogue only make these units a joke.

Whoa, there capecodguy! No need to be a jerk about it. Maybe you should slow down and think before posting? I am not a "shill" for ZVOX and I will let my posts here speak for themselves on that point. Maybe you should read them?

5.1 does not equal digital. We were talking about digital outputs/inputs. CD stereo players have digital outputs, right? I never said 5.1 and 2.1 anything sounded the same or as good. If you read through the thread here you will see early on where I explained that ZVOX does not provided 5.1 and that the ZVOX pseudo-surround is not as good as true surround sound. So hop down off your high-horse and maybe we can have a civil conversation.

My point was that adding a digital input is for convenience only, it will not sound better than the current analog input. That's my opinion. Feel free to cite any blind listening tests or other proof to the contrary and make your case. I'm willing to listen.

If you want true surround sound, look elsewhere. This has been hashed over many, many times in this thread. No need to go through that again.

As for these units being a "joke." Well, there are numerous professional reviews and a ton of feedback from actual owners that indicate otherwise. So either you are a troll or maybe you're just one of those 5.1 snobs I run into occasionally. In either case, it's a free country, so feel free to hold whatever opinion you like, but you won't sway many here, I don't think, with posts like the one above.

Cheers!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well i'm no shill but i also don't think 5.1 and 2.1 sound the same....but regardless i really like the sound coming out of my zvoz 425. for my application it works really well as a great sounding soundbar for a bedroom hd tv installation....huge upgrade from the onboard sound on the tv. plus it was a piece of cake to install and i can plug my mp3 player directly into it to play our music...so for me it's a great device, but i don't think it's fair to stack it up against a 5.1 system. great company to deal with as well, another big plus from my perspective.

Exactly! ZVOX delivers exactly what they promise, nothing more or less. And indeed they are one of the better companies I have ever dealt with and many others say the same. Glad you agree!

How do you like those mp3's via your 425, by the way? Listening to music on my 425 is an absolute delight. So good, that I went back and re-encoded some of my older mp3's to a higher quality (192 or better) vs. the 128 I had been satisfied with previously. It made an audible improvement. I still have a lot at 128 bps and they sound fine, too. But some deserve better.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post

Exactly! ZVOX delivers exactly what they promise, nothing more or less. And indeed they are one of the better companies I have ever dealt with and many others say the same. Glad you agree!

How do you like those mp3's via your 425, by the way? Listening to music on my 425 is an absolute delight. So good, that I went back and re-encoded some of my older mp3's to a higher quality (192 or better) vs. the 128 I had been satisfied with previously. It made an audible improvement. I still have a lot at 128 bps and they sound fine, too. But some deserve better.

Well, my 1,000th post here at AVS forums, how 'bout that? Woo hoo! Has been a lot of fun.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Welcome, Traveler_09!

There are a couple of things behind their stand on analog vs. digital. First, it adds a lot of cost to the unit and was not a real issue until they started dropping analog outputs. Second, analog sounds just as good as digital. Most people cannot tell the difference. And finally, analog makes everything simple. This last part is something I really like. You can hook up just about anything to a ZVOX system.

But, they are adjusting to the market needs and adding digital for those who need it. I just hope they keep the analog only models (at a lower price) for those who do not.

Anyway, welcome and I hope you find the right solution for your needs!

I think you've hit on the real problem, here. As more companies drop the analog out's from their TV's, these units will become less and less versatile over time. Who knows, when you buy your next TV in a few years, you might be very glad your ZXOV has both digital / analog connections, despite the added cost.

BTW - I ended up going with the Definitive SSA-50 soundbar for my main living space, but I'm still strongly considering one of these(maybe the smaller 525) for a bedroom/office TV.

Thanks for all the great info you've provided in this thread. How about next time I'm ready to buy some A/V gear, I let you know about it and you can go out, buy it, and write up one of those nice reviews for me beforehand.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Bron, I for one have really enjoyed your posts here, and feel the attack on you was grossly unfair. I ended up going with an analog only soundbar and wireless sub over a Zvox due to space considerations. Wouldn't you know it, the 525, which probably would have worked for me came out about a week later.

Thanks to people like you, many of us have learned a lot about simple and clean sound solutions. You are appreciated far more than you know. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you've hit on the real problem, here. As more companies drop the analog out's from their TV's, these units will become less and less versatile over time. Who knows, when you buy your next TV in a few years, you might be very glad your ZXOV has both digital / analog connections, despite the added cost.

BTW - I ended up going with the Definitive SSA-50 soundbar for my main living space, but I'm still strongly considering one of these(maybe the smaller 525) for a bedroom/office TV.

Thanks for all the great info you've provided in this thread. How about next time I'm ready to buy some A/V gear, I let you know about it and you can go out, buy it, and write up one of those nice reviews for me beforehand.

Well, I get your point and I'd be happy to have both. Happy with analog for now.

Cool! The Definitive SSA-50 has gotten a lot of top reviews. Feel free to come back and post a review here if you like. It meets the criteria of this thread, for sure. And real owner feedback is exactly what we want to hear!

You're welcome and thank you. (My wife might take issue with me buying any more A/V gear, though.)

Enjoy your SSA-50!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrope View Post

Bron, I for one have really enjoyed your posts here, and feel the attack on you was grossly unfair. I ended up going with an analog only soundbar and wireless sub over a Zvox due to space considerations. Wouldn't you know it, the 525, which probably would have worked for me came out about a week later.

Thanks to people like you, many of us have learned a lot about simple and clean sound solutions. You are appreciated far more than you know. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Thank you very much. I guess capecodguy was being a bit strong in stating his opinion and I maybe the same in responding. Anyway, life is too short to pay it much mind. I do appreciate your support!

Please let us know what you got and how you like it. All soundbar setups are of interest. I just happened to get enthused about ZVOX, myself, but there are many other good choices.

I appreciate the kind words. I really do. My efforts here are an attempt to pay back the many people here and elsewhere who have likewise helped me grow and learn. So I'm very glad if I have done the same for anyone. That is my goal. I get a great deal in return as well. There is a great community here and I enjoy being part of it.

Take care!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:

Please let us know what you got and how you like it. All soundbar setups are of interest. I just happened to get enthused about ZVOX, myself, but there are many other good choices.

I purchased the Polk Instant Home Theater because like may of you, I was looking for a simple sound solution for a complicated floor plan. Neither bouncing wall technology nor any 5.1 or 7.1 system seemed feasible. Hence my interest also with the Zvox units.

I bought my first hdtv after the digital switch over. I'd planned to set it up in the complicated (combination family, dinning, kitchen) room, but that entailed moving a lot of furniture, so I decided to "temporarily" place it in my bedroom. That was last June! The TV is hooked up to cable via coax without a box. Because of this, the idea of a simple analog hookup was appealing. My TV remote controls the Polk which is also a plus. I added an upconverting DVD player and moved my favorite recliner into the bedroom. Now I'm not sure I'll ever move my system.

I'm pretty happy with the Polk. It wakes up a few seconds after the TV goes on, and shuts off on it's own after about ten or fifteen minutes without a signal. The subwoofer is better than I expected. Sound is good, but certainly not surround. Dialog is clear, and I've experienced no problems with volume.

On the down side, I feel the Polk IHT is over priced. I also wish there was an optical input. I own a pair of wireless headphones and they also require the analog out on my TV. Would like to utilize the headphones and the soundbar.
Also, the subwoofer never goes into standby, although the manual states that it should.

Meanwhile, the complicated room is technologically stuck in the twentieth century. Analog tv with a converter box, a dying vcr and ten thousand remotes. Now I'm thinking I may eventually just buy another hdtv and sound system for that room. Maybe then I'll order a Zvox, as they fascinate me.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodguy View Post

So, are you telling me that if you had a CD player with both analog and optical outputs connected to the same receiver and speakers that you could tell the difference switching between the 2 sets of inputs? I'm sure you could.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I purchased the Polk Instant Home Theater because like may of you, I was looking for a simple sound solution for a complicated floor plan. Neither bouncing wall technology nor any 5.1 or 7.1 system seemed feasible. Hence my interest also with the Zvox units.

I bought my first hdtv after the digital switch over. I'd planned to set it up in the complicated (combination family, dinning, kitchen) room, but that entailed moving a lot of furniture, so I decided to "temporarily" place it in my bedroom. That was last June! The TV is hooked up to cable via coax without a box. Because of this, the idea of a simple analog hookup was appealing. My TV remote controls the Polk which is also a plus. I added an upconverting DVD player and moved my favorite recliner into the bedroom. Now I'm not sure I'll ever move my system.

I'm pretty happy with the Polk. It wakes up a few seconds after the TV goes on, and shuts off on it's own after about ten or fifteen minutes without a signal. The subwoofer is better than I expected. Sound is good, but certainly not surround. Dialog is clear, and I've experienced no problems with volume.

On the down side, I feel the Polk IHT is over priced. I also wish there was an optical input. I own a pair of wireless headphones and they also require the analog out on my TV. Would like to utilize the headphones and the soundbar.
Also, the subwoofer never goes into standby, although the manual states that it should.

Meanwhile, the complicated room is technologically stuck in the twentieth century. Analog tv with a converter box, a dying vcr and ten thousand remotes. Now I'm thinking I may eventually just buy another hdtv and sound system for that room. Maybe then I'll order a Zvox, as they fascinate me.

Greets, scrope! Nice post. I'm not too up on the latest model, but I do know that Polk generally offers good value for the money. I'm not sure how ZVOX sees it, but I consider them to be one of their primary competitors. Generally offering a bit more features, whereas I give ZVOX the edge on sound quality (based mostly on reviews I've read, I've never compared them directly myself, so purely conjecture). Polk IHT and ZVOX certainly seem to be targeting the same need.

Thanks again for the post!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:

the mp3's sound fantastic via the zvox 425, really an added treat for our application. it's funny--considering just how much 'better' a true 5.1 setup sounds, i for one am having such problems getting it configured to work properly (denon 3808 being the main culprit--just about impossible to figure out how to set it up) that the simplicity of the analog 2.1 zvox is a real pleasure....

and thanks for all the posts. they made a huge difference in getting me all squared away when my tv soundboard died!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:10 PM

Hi bron, I'd be curious to compare the Polk and the 525 head to head. In the Cnet Zvox 525 review it was compared to the Polk playing Master and Commander. The review stated the Polk had better surround and bass. OTOH, in a recent Cnet review of the Polk, they again compared it to the 525 with Master and Commander, and this time they claimed the Zvox was superior. I'd probably be happy with either of these units.

My brother has 5.1 surround, and of course it blows my soundbar away. But he is constantly adjusting the volume, and I have difficulty understanding the dialog. Moreover, most movies include his wife screaming, "Turn that f@!*ing thing down," from down the hall.

The other nice thing about these simple sound solutions is ascetics. Although my sounbar sticks out about 4" on either side of a black TV cart, it's otherwise almost invisible, and the subwoofer is hidden on the other side of the room. The cart's width is a bit shorter than 24" so the Zvox 525 probably would have worked just fine as well.

The Zvoxes and various HTIB soundbars are brilliant. Their increased popularity says it all. I'm happy for all the surround audiophiles, but a lot of us prefer to go another way.

Bron, thanks again for sharing your experiences with Zvox. Guys like you, Da1writer, and Davyo educated a lot of us about simple and pleasing sound solutions. We no longer have to choose between TV sound, or as a poster once wrote, "turning a room into an electronics store."
Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the mp3's sound fantastic via the zvox 425, really an added treat for our application. it's funny--considering just how much 'better' a true 5.1 setup sounds, i for one am having such problems getting it configured to work properly (denon 3808 being the main culprit--just about impossible to figure out how to set it up) that the simplicity of the analog 2.1 zvox is a real pleasure....

and thanks for all the posts. they made a huge difference in getting me all squared away when my tv soundboard died!

Ah, music to my ears. Yea, man, love the music. I was hoping you were enjoying it.

And you put your finger on it. Life is complicated enough without having to wrestle with your home entertainment system. Sometimes it makes sense to keep it simple and devote more time to actually enjoying yourself. I'm fine with those who want to get more serious about it - as long as they don't knock those who just want to relax and enjoy their music or movies.

And you are indeed welcome. Glad I could help in even a small way.

Good luck with your 5.1 rig, they're fun when they're cooking.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi bron, I'd be curious to compare the Polk and the 525 head to head. In the Cnet Zvox 525 review it was compared to the Polk playing Master and Commander. The review stated the Polk had better surround and bass. OTOH, in a recent Cnet review of the Polk, they again compared it to the 525 with Master and Commander, and this time they claimed the Zvox was superior. I'd probably be happy with either of these units.

Ah, those darn reviews. If you get a chance to do the head-to-head, we'll all be waiting eagerly here for the outcome.

Quote:

My brother has 5.1 surround, and of course it blows my soundbar away. But he is constantly adjusting the volume, and I have difficulty understanding the dialog. Moreover, most movies include his wife screaming, "Turn that f@!*ing thing down," from down the hall.

LOL! I must admit my 425 gets a little too loud for my wife's taste as well.

Quote:

The other nice thing about these simple sound solutions is ascetics. ...
The Zvoxes and various HTIB soundbars are brilliant. Their increased popularity says it all. I'm happy for all the surround audiophiles, but a lot of us prefer to go another way.

You got it. Well, said.

Quote:

Bron, thanks again for sharing your experiences with Zvox. Guys like you, Da1writer, and Davyo educated a lot of us about simple and pleasing sound solutions. We no longer have to choose between TV sound, or as a poster once wrote, "turning a room into an electronics store."

You're very welcome. There have been so many great contributors here. I appreciate them all and I have learned quite a lot along the way.

Yea, simple is sweet.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:38 PM

So can you give us your review of the ssa-50, Are you using their sub with it?

I am interested b/c i am thinking of using it with my pioneer 151 in my family room.

I am curious if it has good dialog feedback and plays music well.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 AM

My SSA-50 just arrived yesterday( with pro sub 800)and I haven't had time to set it up yet. I can tell you one thing, though. This thing is built like a tank. I've never had a soundbar that felt anywhere near this "heavy duty" before. I'll post my impressions of it when I get everything setup.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I'm finally a ZVOX 425 owner! I just took it out of the box today but haven't listened to it yet. My cat decided to chew up one of my connectors on my plasma that is needed for the connection to the ZVOX. Hopefully I will have a replacement in the next few days. I will be sure to post my impressions then. I am very impressed by the build quality though. I decided to go for a new model from listenup.com. They have the ZVOX 425 for a little more than the open box ones on ebay ($50 bucks more to be exact) so I thought I would just get a new one. I was a little bummed to see two tiny nicks/chips on the front grill at the bottom left and right. A small speck of the paint is chipped off in each location (seriously very small, about the size of a pin head, maybe a tad bigger). Not a huge deal and definitely not worth sending it back just to get a replacement. I also noticed a few other scratches/small nicks on the unit (speaker grill and on the area below the controls on the front) suggesting it was an open box 425. I know when I called ZVOX, they stated they sold quite a few 425's to listenup.com to clear out old stock. Maybe there were actually some open box ones that were resealed? I tend to be OCD at times and even I realize they are minor cosmetic blemishes that in no way affect sound quality (plus I am sure my kids will add their own marks/scratches ). I guess I can always pretend I got an open box one.........lol .
Old 03-07-2010, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My SSA-50 just arrived yesterday( with pro sub 800)and I haven't had time to set it up yet. I can tell you one thing, though. This thing is built like a tank. I've never had a soundbar that felt anywhere near this "heavy duty" before. I'll post my impressions of it when I get everything setup.

Looking forward to it!
Old 03-07-2010, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I'm finally a ZVOX 425 owner! I just took it out of the box today but haven't listened to it yet. My cat decided to chew up one of my connectors on my plasma that is needed for the connection to the ZVOX. Hopefully I will have a replacement in the next few days. I will be sure to post my impressions then. I am very impressed by the build quality though. I decided to go for a new model from listenup.com. They have the ZVOX 425 for a little more than the open box ones on ebay ($50 bucks more to be exact) so I thought I would just get a new one. I was a little bummed to see two tiny nicks/chips on the front grill at the bottom left and right. A small speck of the paint is chipped off in each location (seriously very small, about the size of a pin head, maybe a tad bigger). Not a huge deal and definitely not worth sending it back just to get a replacement. I also noticed a few other scratches/small nicks on the unit (speaker grill and on the area below the controls on the front) suggesting it was an open box 425. I know when I called ZVOX, they stated they sold quite a few 425's to listenup.com to clear out old stock. Maybe there were actually some open box ones that were resealed? I tend to be OCD at times and even I realize they are minor cosmetic blemishes that in no way affect sound quality (plus I am sure my kids will add their own marks/scratches ). I guess I can always pretend I got an open box one.........lol .

Congrats, YOTR! Will look forward to hearing your impression of the 425.

Man, I'd plug something into that front input and give it a listen. Even if it was just a CD player or MP3 player. You must have something with an audio out (even headphone out will work)? Well, maybe that's just me - I'd be too eager to wait.

Get it all hooked up and then tell us what you think!