Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCrackin View Post

ordered a YSP-4000 from NewEgg over the weekend for $780

we will see how it compares to my ZVOX 425 in the other room

That's a very good price! This is a very highly rated unit that originally sold for around $1600-$1800, I think. It was very popular and said to produce one of the best surround sound effects. The only catch was that it bounces sound off the walls of the room to create the effect. If it works in your room layout, you should like it, many love it. But if your room does not work (e.g. open area style family rooms without one or more walls), then something like the ZVOX may be a better choice.

Will look forward to your opinion and comparison!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Well after a little hiatus, I am finally going to be getting my ZVOX 425. I got one awhile back from an online vendor but had issues with it (long story). So I bid on an open box one from ZVOX and got a great deal. Hopefully it arrives safely sometime next week. I read good things about the open box ones in this thread so hopefully I don't have any further issues. I did find out though that even though my Pioneer Kuro has an audio out, it is not variable. Therefore I had to use the remote with the 425 to control the volume. The problem was though that because the output wasn't variable, the speaker never got very loud at all (not even close actually). I then noticed that I had a headphone jack on the tv that is set up as variable and uses the tv remote for the volume. That way I can crank the voume up half way on the tv (with the tv remote) and then let the ZVOX takeover from there (shouldn't have a volume issue at that point). I didn't want to go through the headphone jack but it was an option listed by ZVOX and I noticed no difference in sound quality from the audio out on my set. I just have to buy a Y cable to convert the rca to 3.5mm but that's not a big deal. I will report back when I have everything connected next week. Hopefully I can finally say I am a part of the ZVOX family .
Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post

That's a very good price! This is a very highly rated unit that originally sold for around $1600-$1800, I think. It was very popular and said to produce one of the best surround sound effects. The only catch was that it bounces sound off the walls of the room to create the effect. If it works in your room layout, you should like it, many love it. But if your room does not work (e.g. open area style family rooms without one or more walls), then something like the ZVOX may be a better choice.

Will look forward to your opinion and comparison!

ok, finally gots the YSP hoked up and self calibrated and i love it!

it works in the family room just fine, produces great surround sound - its a pretty neat piece

its not fair to compare it to my ZVOX 425 as the rooms are different and the placements are different (YSP under the LCD and ZVOX on top of the LCD) - plus i have my sub hooked up to the YSP.

i think i am going to build a box to place the YSP in so i can place the LCD directly on it and tie everything together

once im finished i will post up some pics

now to reprogram my harmony to work everything and i am waiting on some new cables from monoprice

but - 2 hours into the YSP and i am equally impressed with it as i am my ZVOX 425!

the wife likes the fact the YSP has an FM tuner
Old 06-05-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Well after a little hiatus, I am finally going to be getting my ZVOX 425. I got one awhile back from an online vendor but had issues with it (long story). So I bid on an open box one from ZVOX and got a great deal. Hopefully it arrives safely sometime next week. I read good things about the open box ones in this thread so hopefully I don't have any further issues. I did find out though that even though my Pioneer Kuro has an audio out, it is not variable. Therefore I had to use the remote with the 425 to control the volume. The problem was though that because the output wasn't variable, the speaker never got very loud at all (not even close actually). I then noticed that I had a headphone jack on the tv that is set up as variable and uses the tv remote for the volume. That way I can crank the voume up half way on the tv (with the tv remote) and then let the ZVOX takeover from there (shouldn't have a volume issue at that point). I didn't want to go through the headphone jack but it was an option listed by ZVOX and I noticed no difference in sound quality from the audio out on my set. I just have to buy a Y cable to convert the rca to 3.5mm but that's not a big deal. I will report back when I have everything connected next week. Hopefully I can finally say I am a part of the ZVOX family .

Good luck! I've bought mostly open box ZVOX units and have been very happy (from ZVOX ebay site). I've also driven them off head-phone jacks with no problems and the sound was great. No issues there - the beauty of analog audio. Should work fine for you. Have also used the same cable (RCA to 3.5mm) and works fine, also. You should be good to go.

Have fun!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCrackin View Post

ok, finally gots the YSP hoked up and self calibrated and i love it!
but - 2 hours into the YSP and i am equally impressed with it as i am my ZVOX 425!

the wife likes the fact the YSP has an FM tuner

Congrats and glad you like it. The YSP is a big step up and was widely considered one of the best of the 'bounce sound' units offered. Many happy owners. It has superior sound imaging and great quality amps and drivers. You should be very happy with it. It can actually create the 5.1 sound image vs. just spatial sound like the 425.

The 425's strengths are the versatility and simplicity, ability to work in any room layout, and super sound quality and bass response.

Both are good units. Enjoy and feel free to come back and share more of your impressions of the YSP.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Crikey, YOTR...every time I'm about to pull the trigger on a ZVOX I come here and find out that you've discovered some new compatibility issue with the Kuros! Do you think you'd have the same issues if you were using the HSD digital models?

I am trying to finagle an open box deal on the Zvox ebay site as well. Just trying to decide if I want to go for a 550 or 575. Since I couldn't find a 60" Kuro and I have to plan ahead for the 2011 Panasonics, and I know they won't be including analog audio out.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Crikey, YOTR...every time I'm about to pull the trigger on a ZVOX I come here and find out that you've discovered some new compatibility issue with the Kuros! Do you think you'd have the same issues if you were using the HSD digital models?

I am trying to finagle an open box deal on the Zvox ebay site as well. Just trying to decide if I want to go for a 550 or 575. Since I couldn't find a 60" Kuro and I have to plan ahead for the 2011 Panasonics, and I know they won't be including analog audio out.

LOL, believe me I know! It has been frustrating to say the least. From what I understand (and talking with ZVOX about it over the phone), the Kuro's have some real issues with the ZVOX speakers. Most audio out's on televisions are variable but leave it to Pioneer to not play nice with ZVOX . I actually borrowed my friends 325 today to connect it directly and sure enough it works with the audio out on my Kuro but it isn't loud at all even with the volume cranked up on the ZVOX. If however, I use the headphone jack, it sounds great.

I have heard a lot of conflicts with the optical out on the tv. Most people state that it is primarily used for the over the air antenna sound, not like an audio out for the tv in general. At the same time though, I really want the 425 more than any other model (plus they don't make an optical model for the 425). I would love to have the extra bass of the 575 but with my tv wall mounted, it doesn't make much sense to buy it (looks strange without a tv sitting on top of it ). Of course I wanted to save money also and the price I got on the 425 was great. I just hope it arrives safe.

On a side note, I hope the store I got my original one from didn't send it back to ZVOX. It was pretty banged up and had quite a few issues (freezing/locking up). I don't want to end up with the same one even if it is an open box special. Hopefully my ebay open box arrives safely and in good working condition .
Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL, believe me I know! It has been frustrating to say the least. From what I understand (and talking with ZVOX about it over the phone), the Kuro's have some real issues with the ZVOX speakers. Most audio out's on televisions are variable but leave it to Pioneer to not play nice with ZVOX . I actually borrowed my friends 325 today to connect it directly and sure enough it works with the audio out on my Kuro but it isn't loud at all even with the volume cranked up on the ZVOX. If however, I use the headphone jack, it sounds great.

I have heard a lot of conflicts with the optical out on the tv. Most people state that it is primarily used for the over the air antenna sound, not like an audio out for the tv in general. At the same time though, I really want the 425 more than any other model (plus they don't make an optical model for the 425). I would love to have the extra bass of the 575 but with my tv wall mounted, it doesn't make much sense to buy it (looks strange without a tv sitting on top of it ). Of course I wanted to save money also and the price I got on the 425 was great. I just hope it arrives safe.

On a side note, I hope the store I got my original one from didn't send it back to ZVOX. It was pretty banged up and had quite a few issues (freezing/locking up). I don't want to end up with the same one even if it is an open box special. Hopefully my ebay open box arrives safely and in good working condition .

I'll be waiting to hear you report back. In a way I'm glad I caught your post before I ordered...I guess I won't be expecting any miracles as far as ZVOX is concerned. I'll still give it a shot if I can find a 550 or 575 for a good price.

Only Pioneer could make things so complicated. Such great products, but so finicky.

PS: YOTR, using the headphone jack, did the auto on/off function of the ZVox still work normally?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

YOTR can answer, too, of course, but everything works fine using headphone out jacks. I had a hookup where the TV had fixed audio out and variable audio out as well and I used the headphone jacks. Auto on/off worked fine. Sound quality was fine.

For anyone interested, I also experimented with using a headphone amplifier with the ZVOX and that worked fine as well. If you have fixed audio out and it's too low, this is a possible solution. The great thing about analog, is that nearly anything will work (within reason).

In one test setup, I even pulled the audio from the DVD Recorder instead of the TV. Worked fine. Volume was weak, so that's when I tried the headphone amp and it worked like a charm.

I've plugged all kinds of audio devices into the front input of my 425, all have worked well. One of my favorites was a bluetooth receiver gizmo that let me play sound from my laptop through the 425 wirelessly. Very cool for music and gaming.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, bron. I'm gonna make another effort to snag a 550 or 575 here shortly, just trying to decide if I should go for regular or HSD. I wonder if there is any difference in audio quality by using optical?

With more and more TV manufacturers giving up on analog audio, I wonder if ZVox will be changing their design accordingly?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, bron. I'm gonna make another effort to snag a 550 or 575 here shortly, just trying to decide if I should go for regular or HSD. I wonder if there is any difference in audio quality by using optical?

With more and more TV manufacturers giving up on analog audio, I wonder if ZVox will be changing their design accordingly?

I doubt of there is much (if any) difference in audio quality. It will probably depend more on the quality of the internal audio processing of the TV or amp. But that's just my guess. You could ask ZVOX directly. They would know better than I.

I expect that ZVOX will follow the market and make changes accordingly. I do hope they will always retain their analog audio inputs as it gives so much more flexibility. I'm sure they will. But I'm also sure they will add more digital inputs and other features to remain competitive.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Just pulled the trigger on a 550 HSD. Will give it a whirl when it arrives next week.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just pulled the trigger on a 550 HSD. Will give it a whirl when it arrives next week.

Cool! Will look forward to your impressions of it. Have fun!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

ZVox 550 HSD arrived today, in apparently perfect condition. One interesting sidenote, there is a sticker on top of the unit that says it can support 110 lbs, but the one sheet instructions say 100 lbs.

All of the reviews that I've read for the "regular" 550 claim it can support up to 90 lbs.

Just some food for thought if anyone is thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ZVox 550 HSD arrived today, in apparently perfect condition. One interesting sidenote, there is a sticker on top of the unit that says it can support 110 lbs, but the one sheet instructions say 100 lbs.

All of the reviews that I've read for the "regular" 550 claim it can support up to 90 lbs.

Just some food for thought if anyone is thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these.

Do I hear 115?

Glad it arrived in good shape. Enjoy!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

I can only fault the units 550 and 550HSD is the guess work when using the controls but I knew this going in and you do get the hang of it the more you use them. There is enough oooommmmph (bass) sound for us without sub-woofer. Yes, we do have both units.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally got a chance to get the 550 HSD up and running. It's replacing a Sony soundbar--it's nice not seeing a bunch of wires running around all over the place. Fits perfectly underneath my Pioneer 111.

Sounds good so far, easily equal to the soundbar it's replacing. Similar to the variable out issues that were reported here earlier, I have to use the Zvox remote for RCA and optical connections--can't use the TV remote to play with volume, but that's hardly a dealbreaker IMHO. Auto on/off works fine regardless of the connection.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Finally got a chance to get the 550 HSD up and running. It's replacing a Sony soundbar--it's nice not seeing a bunch of wires running around all over the place. Fits perfectly underneath my Pioneer 111.

Sounds good so far, easily equal to the soundbar it's replacing. Similar to the variable out issues that were reported here earlier, I have to use the Zvox remote for RCA and optical connections--can't use the TV remote to play with volume, but that's hardly a dealbreaker IMHO. Auto on/off works fine regardless of the connection.

Glad to hear things are going well. I use a Harmony remote - even one of the lower price models will do - and then no problem. One remote does it all.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 AM

I just ordered an open box ZVOX 425 from ebay/zvox. I'm planning on using it with a Toshiba Regza (42RV535) with a FIXED audio output. Will I have the same issues that you KURO guys are having?

Also, I'd like to dock an ipod to it. Will I be constantly fiddling with the phase cue... e.g. up for movies, down for music, etc...? Any thoughts on that?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshg3p0 View Post

I just ordered an open box ZVOX 425 from ebay/zvox. I'm planning on using it with a Toshiba Regza (42RV535) with a FIXED audio output. Will I have the same issues that you KURO guys are having?

Also, I'd like to dock an ipod to it. Will I be constantly fiddling with the phase cue... e.g. up for movies, down for music, etc...? Any thoughts on that?

The only problem that I noticed so far with a fixed audio output is that you have to use the ZVox remote (instead of the TV remote) to adjust volume. As bron indicated, though, a universal will solve that problem.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshg3p0 View Post

hhaller covered it on the fixed audio. No problem. Just a tiny bit less convenient than variable audio.

As for the phase cue - sure you will! At first. Then you will get over it and leave it alone most of the time. The 425 is the most forgiving of the bunch in this regard (of the units I have). For certain movies or music, it might pay to "tweak" the phase cue, but you will soon learn that about 80% of the time you can leave things be.

When I first got mine, I was constantly playing with the phase cue. Then I settled down and tweaked only when switching between action movies and music and stuff like that. Then I got lazy and just let it be most of the time. Still sounds great. Every now and then I play, but I've found the settings that seem to work fine for me most of the time.

If you're like me, when you first get it, you'll tend to turn phase cue up a bit too high, because it's fun. Later you'll probably turn it back a bit because that covers a wide variety of material and still sounds good. On "big movie night" you may tweak for maximum effect, why not? But you do NOT have to tweak it every time you listen -- if you keep it at a reasonable level.

Anyway, when you get yours, come back and let us know how it works for you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. Oh, and you're gonna love it for music -- that was the nicest surprise of all.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't posted in awhile (been busy with work). I finally got my zvox 425xs. Long story short but there was a mix up with the auction on ebay so I was not able to get an open box one. Zvox has rarely put another 425 on ebay in the last few weeks so I decided to buy a new one from amazon. I really didn't like the idea of paying full price when I knew an open box would run me at least $150 less. I must say I am impressed with it. I still have to use the heap hone jack though as the connection. No matter how loud I turn up the zvox remote (while using my audio out/optical connection on the kuro), it still is not nearly as loud as my headphone jack. So I basically set my headphone jack on 15-20 and then use the zvox remote from there. I really like it so far but I haven't had much time to demo it.

I also ordered the new Sony HT-CT350 today as I wanted to know what it sounded like compared to the 425 (also was a big fan of the CT100 and CT500). I really can't keep both so we shall see how they compare to each other. I should have the sony in a couple of weeks unless I get the urge to pay more and just pick one up at my local BB . I will post my impressions once I have both of them setup.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@YOTR

Sounds great. Looking forward to your impressions and comps of these two systems.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't posted in awhile (been busy with work). I finally got my zvox 425xs. Long story short but there was a mix up with the auction on ebay so I was not able to get an open box one. Zvox has rarely put another 425 on ebay in the last few weeks so I decided to buy a new one from amazon. I really didn't like the idea of paying full price when I knew an open box would run me at least $150 less. I must say I am impressed with it. I still have to use the heap hone jack though as the connection. No matter how loud I turn up the zvox remote (while using my audio out/optical connection on the kuro), it still is not nearly as loud as my headphone jack. So I basically set my headphone jack on 15-20 and then use the zvox remote from there. I really like it so far but I haven't had much time to demo it.

I also ordered the new Sony HT-CT350 today as I wanted to know what it sounded like compared to the 425 (also was a big fan of the CT100 and CT500). I really can't keep both so we shall see how they compare to each other. I should have the sony in a couple of weeks unless I get the urge to pay more and just pick one up at my local BB . I will post my impressions once I have both of them setup.

I didn't notice any volume issues using RCA with my 550...I'll have to go back and try it again soon. Using the optical connection right now.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post

Congrats and glad you like it. The YSP is a big step up and was widely considered one of the best of the 'bounce sound' units offered. Many happy owners. It has superior sound imaging and great quality amps and drivers. You should be very happy with it. It can actually create the 5.1 sound image vs. just spatial sound like the 425.

The 425's strengths are the versatility and simplicity, ability to work in any room layout, and super sound quality and bass response.

Both are good units. Enjoy and feel free to come back and share more of your impressions of the YSP.

update - finally took a pic of the box i made to house the YSP and the LCD sit on:

here is where the sub is hiding

this is all temporary until the wife finds a new entertainment center she likes, then the LCD and YSP get hung on the wall.

im still very impressed by this sound bar - the 5.1 is really quite amazing!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

You are gonna love it, I had the YSP 800 and did swap it out for the ZVOX 550 HSD just because of room needed and remote sensor on our Toshiba TV. I had no complaints with the YSP sound at all. Good choice.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice pics! Looks like a great setup.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:42 AM

thanks guys!

i am still in love with my ZVOX 425 in the other room

i am just amazed at how well both of these work with a single enclosure
Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea, it can be amazing, huh?

Note re: power to 425's:

I have my 425 on a UPS (all my gear is), so it's rarely without power or turned off. The auto on/off works fine. However, occasionally I'll pull the plug for some reason or other. When I do, I have to reset the volume and phase cue again. Just wanted to mention that for those who might wonder about it.

Also, someone was asking a few posts back about how often you have to twiddle with the phasecue and as noted, not so much after you find the sweet spot for your setup. However...every now and then if you have some juicy material on, it pays to tweak it if you want the absolute best sound. All that is required is to turn the volume up a bit and set phasecue off and then walk it up a setting at a time until it sounds good to you. You get better at this with experience. I can do it in about 3 seconds now as I know the "sound" I'm looking, uh, listening for. Early on, you'll twiddle more to learn what sounds best to you.

Very nice when you get it right. With the right material - very, very nice.