Soundbar type solution w/o bouncing sound? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 585 Old 03-01-2009, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have been using the 415 for the past week and it continues to perform well. I have played a lot of mp3's and everything ahs sounded good. I do have to turn the phasecue down even more on the 415 than the 325 for music. The PhaseCue on the 415 seems to 'stronger' (due to wider speaker separation dn maybe some other things). I find I keep PhaseCue lower, on average, on the 415 than the 325 for most things.

I also find it a bit harder to set the levels on the 415 due to the remote control setup (as lamented elsewhere). Because there are discrete steps (9, I believe, min, max and 7 intermediate) it's a lot of button pressing to get it right. I really, really like the control knobs on the 325 better...even though it *is* obviously easier to control from your seating position using the 415 setup. So a bit of a tradeoff. With the knob, you can, of course, tune it up the way we're all used to (turn the level down and then slowly increase until your ear tells you it's right, maybe backup a tad). With the 415 it's a jump between steps, so you have to press up level, down level, as you try to find the right spot and I think the "steps" are bigger than the finer changes I can achieve with the knob control. Not a big deal, overall, but since you do it a lot...a bit of a nuisance factor.

Listening to Todd Rundgren's "Nearly Human" Japan tour DVD (streamed via my Roku) and it sounds great on 415 as it did on the 325. Better bottom on 415, I think. But just a bit, not a huge difference. The drums seemed a bit over-emphasized early on, but that went away as the concert progressed, so I think the mix was off early on in the recording. Again very clear vocals and instruments. A super concert if you like TR. A Neil Young concert DVD also sounds very good. Again, just great overall sound, really nice accents and harmonics, crisp punchy attacks where they should be, I hear things I missed before on the 2.1 setup (no big surprise, really). CSNY stuff with those harmonies and acoustic instruments sounds superb.

Watched some DivX movies (The Day the Earth Stood Still (new one), Chaos, Control Factor) which I encoded from DVD's using DivX Author (I can get 5-6 movies onto one DVD and they look great) and the sound was great as well. Definitely a huge improvement over your TV's built-in speakers - it's a big step up. Wide soundstage, great dynamic range, big sound overall. Really gets you into that movie experience.

By the way, the new "The Day The Earth Stood Still" was very enjoyable, but the original (1951) with Michael Rennie is a classic, not to be missed. It remains one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 585 Old 03-01-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post

You've zeroed in on the big question, YOTR! So far my thoughts are that, yes, a sub-woofer if you have one is a good and worthy addition to any of the ZVOX units I've tested so far. Not required, but would be a plus. I think I've got the Polk sub you have in mind and hope to give it a try this weekend...though haven't had time yet.

In my opinion, based on my tests so far, the 325 and the sub would be a great combo and a superb value. I really like the 325, and adding a sub would round out the bottom and be a big plus, I think. The key point here would be the cost savings. The 325 plus sub would cost about the same or less that the 415 and would really give it a challenge. The soundstage would be a little different, but I don't think that's a big deal in most situations. It would be a very appealing set-up. And I like the front input and controls on the 325.

If I were going without the sub, I would go for the 415, if my setup allowed it, but I could still live with the 325 if that worked better. It's not a huge difference. I'm running out of room (LOL!) but I hope to be able to try some different setups and combinations in time.

Bron,

I admit I am intrigued by the 325 and love the look. The addition of a subwoofer would make a very simply but clean look. It sounds like there isn't a huge difference between the 415 and the 325. We have a small living room so I don't think I would notice the wider soundstage as much with the 415 (then again I don't have one to test that though ). Decisions, decisions..............
post #183 of 585 Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have been using the 415 for the past week and it continues to perform well. I have played a lot of mp3's and everything ahs sounded good. I do have to turn the phasecue down even more on the 415 than the 325 for music. The PhaseCue on the 415 seems to 'stronger' (due to wider speaker separation dn maybe some other things). I find I keep PhaseCue lower, on average, on the 415 than the 325 for most things.

I also find it a bit harder to set the levels on the 415 due to the remote control setup (as lamented elsewhere). Because there are discrete steps (9, I believe, min, max and 7 intermediate) it's a lot of button pressing to get it right. I really, really like the control knobs on the 325 better...even though it *is* obviously easier to control from your seating position using the 415 setup. So a bit of a tradeoff. With the knob, you can, of course, tune it up the way we're all used to (turn the level down and then slowly increase until your ear tells you it's right, maybe backup a tad). With the 415 it's a jump between steps, so you have to press up level, down level, as you try to find the right spot and I think the "steps" are bigger than the finer changes I can achieve with the knob control. Not a big deal, overall, but since you do it a lot...a bit of a nuisance factor.

Listening to Todd Rundgren's "Nearly Human" Japan tour DVD (streamed via my Roku) and it sounds great on 415 as it did on the 325. Better bottom on 415, I think. But just a bit, not a huge difference. The drums seemed a bit over-emphasized early on, but that went away as the concert progressed, so I think the mix was off early on in the recording. Again very clear vocals and instruments. A super concert if you like TR. A Neil Young concert DVD also sounds very good. Again, just great overall sound, really nice accents and harmonics, crisp punchy attacks where they should be, I hear things I missed before on the 2.1 setup (no big surprise, really). CSNY stuff with those harmonies and acoustic instruments sounds superb.

Watched some DivX movies (The Day the Earth Stood Still (new one), Chaos, Control Factor) which I encoded from DVD's using DivX Author (I can get 5-6 movies onto one DVD and they look great) and the sound was great as well. Definitely a huge improvement over your TV's built-in speakers - it's a big step up. Wide soundstage, great dynamic range, big sound overall. Really gets you into that movie experience.

By the way, the new "The Day The Earth Stood Still" was very enjoyable, but the original (1951) with Michael Rennie is a classic, not to be missed. It remains one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies ever.

Well that make me want to consider the 415 more now even though I just posted a pro 325 post above........lol . I am still excited to read your comparison between the 325, 415, and 425 and your pick as the best. Is the 415 basically a 425 without a built in sub and a little less power? Can you tell a noticeable difference between the 425 and the 415? After all of this testing (thanks again!), do you still feel the 325 holds it's own? I admit I would really like having the controls on the 325 but think that I could deal with the remote on the 415. Thanks and sorry for so many questions. I know we all appreciate the testing you are doing for us!
post #184 of 585 Old 03-02-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Well that make me want to consider the 415 more now even though I just posted a pro 325 post above........lol . I am still excited to read your comparison between the 325, 415, and 425 and your pick as the best. Is the 415 basically a 425 without a built in sub and a little less power? Can you tell a noticeable difference between the 425 and the 415? After all of this testing (thanks again!), do you still feel the 325 holds it's own? I admit I would really like having the controls on the 325 but think that I could deal with the remote on the 415. Thanks and sorry for so many questions. I know we all appreciate the testing you are doing for us!

First, alas, testing delayed again for two reasons, 1) we lost power for over 16 hours in the big snow storm and 2) I've caught a nasty bug that's been going 'round, so most of my time now spent under blankets resting. (Without power we have no heat or water where I live. Got pretty darn cold!)

I will try as I get to the end to give my comparisons and summaries of the units. But a few quick comments re: your questions. Both the 325 and the 415 have built-in "subs" (called such by ZVOX) though small ones, of course. Their bass output is pretty darn good.

Again, between the 325 and 415, I, personally, would chose whichever one best fit my space and mounting needs. Overall, I like the 325 design the best for all around value. I like the 415 sound just a little bit better, but if I had either one on hand, I'd be equally happy. The difference is there in close comparative listening, but it's not enough, alone, to make me want to pay the extra cost of the 415. But if you want the rectangular soundbar style of the 415 and prefer all controls on the remote, then that's the way to go. If you prefer knob controls, a front input, and a smaller width package, go for the 325.

Honestly, either is fine and I really went back and forth as to preference during my comparisons. The 325 was actually punchier on some things, but the 415 had a smoother overall sound throughout the full range which I preferred. But, add a sub to the 325 and I think it would equal to or possibly even top the 415 (without sub). Hopefully, I'll have time to find out.

Sorry for the delay, but out of my control, as they say.

P.S. There is little doubt in my mind that the 425 will be the overall "winner" as it has twice the power, controls on the unit and the remote, and some other plus features. But it is also considerably more expensive. Factor cost in and there may be another "value" winner - most likely the 325 (as ZVOX themselves seem to think).
post #185 of 585 Old 03-07-2009, 08:06 PM

Bron,

Thanks for all the good info on the ZVOX soundbars. I just recently bought a Sharp Aquos 52 LCD and I am very dissapointed in the built in speakers.
I was about to pull the trigger on the ZVOX 424 until I saw the thread about the Marantz ES7001 selling for about $400 on Amazon. This piece goes for about $1200 retail. The thread last said that this deal is gone, but I looked on Amazon today and it's showing for $524.00 today.

I've always like Marantz gear. Do you know anything about the ES7001?

Lenny K.
post #186 of 585 Old 03-08-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyPK View Post

Bron,

Thanks for all the good info on the ZVOX soundbars. I just recently bought a Sharp Aquos 52 LCD and I am very dissapointed in the built in speakers.
I was about to pull the trigger on the ZVOX 424 until I saw the thread about the Marantz ES7001 selling for about $400 on Amazon. This piece goes for about $1200 retail. The thread last said that this deal is gone, but I looked on Amazon today and it's showing for $524.00 today.

I've always like Marantz gear. Do you know anything about the ES7001?

My friend has one and it does sound amazing especially for $400 when it was on sale. For $1300, not so much. It reminds me of the Polk Surroundbar 50 quite a bit. If you don't already have a subwoofer, you will also need to add another $200 or more to the price because it definitely needs one. If you want it, it's on ebay for $459 with free shipping brand new from a 100% seller. Honestly for under $500 shipped, it's a steal and a great product. If Marantz had priced it in the $800 or less range at the beginning, it would of sold quite well. I almost jumped on it last week but I am going to hold out for the new sony CT500 and a ZVOX for our family room.
post #187 of 585 Old 03-08-2009, 02:31 PM

Found the Ebay listing.
$459 with free shipping is probably the tie-breaker for me versus the ZVOX 425.
Still a tough call when you are deciding based on subjective reviews (like CNET).
I do like the ZVOX switching taking place with the TV better than using the soundbar. My DirecTV sat receiver in this room is not the high def model, so no HDMI input. I'll guess I'll have to wire video direct to the tv from the sat receiver and use two remotes to switch sources or maybe the universal remote with the Marantz will handle both.
On the other hand, I'm thinking that since the Marantz decodes Dolby and DTS (from my Sony Blu-Ray) that the surround effect will be better with the Marantz.
Does your friend have tha matching Marantz SW7001 sub?
Also, it's not clear what the total wattage is on the Marantz. Did it go plenty loud?

Lenny K.
post #188 of 585 Old 03-08-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found the Ebay listing.
$459 with free shipping is probably the tie-breaker for me versus the ZVOX 425.
Still a tough call when you are deciding based on subjective reviews (like CNET).
I do like the ZVOX switching taking place with the TV better than using the soundbar. My DirecTV sat receiver in this room is not the high def model, so no HDMI input. I'll guess I'll have to wire video direct to the tv from the sat receiver and use two remotes to switch sources or maybe the universal remote with the Marantz will handle both.
On the other hand, I'm thinking that since the Marantz decodes Dolby and DTS (from my Sony Blu-Ray) that the surround effect will be better with the Marantz.
Does your friend have tha matching Marantz SW7001 sub?
Also, it's not clear what the total wattage is on the Marantz. Did it go plenty loud?

It definitely plays loud and he has a medium sized room. He bought the matching sub. The sub isn't really powerful (I think it is 50 watts) but it compliments the sound bar quite nicely. You still get plenty of bass but it won't go as long as say a $300 HSU or Outlaw Audio sub. It's not a bad deal for $200 though. Again it's a good setup but if you don't have a sub you are looking at $660 basically (amazon has the sub for $200 with free shipping by the way). Still $660 isn't bad for the total package (considering it would be over double anywhere else). I haven't heard the Zvox 425 but it appeals to me because you don't need a sub. I have heard it sounds great to. You probably can't go wrong with either one and it just depends on what your needs are. I wish I would of jumped on the Polk Surroundbar 50 when it was cheap in December. To me, that is still one of the best (if not best) sound bars without needing a perfect room (like the YSP's).
post #189 of 585 Old 03-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
On the other hand, I'm thinking that since the Marantz decodes Dolby and DTS (from my Sony Blu-Ray) that the surround effect will be better with the Marantz. >>

I would agree .. I think digital sound is cleaner and more crisp. do connect your audio input throgh optical cable as the HDMI input would only give you 2.0 prologic sound..
post #190 of 585 Old 03-08-2009, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback YOTR.

Well the guy selling the ES7001 on Ebay pulled the listing when I asked him about Marantz warranty. Here's his response:

Hi, I was led to believe that it had the warranty when I bought it from Amazon, but after further research, Marantz does not warranty product sold from unauthorized distributors. I have ended this listing early and am going to return the item to amazon. Sorry, but thanks.

The next best price on Ebay is $499 w/free shipping. So now looking at $700 with the sub for the Marantz package. If the ZVOX 425 doesn't need the sub then the price/ value leans toward the 425.
The Marantz has two 4.75" subs versus two 4" subs on the 425. LF-wise seems like the Marantz would at least match the 425 without sub. I am more interested in improving the music sountracks on movies and DVD concerts than movie FX so musicallity of the soundbar is most important.
This stuff is a bitch when you can't audition the gear beforehand

Lenny K.
post #191 of 585 Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM

Liked: 11
Bron, are you still planning to post a review of the 425? I'm very curious to hear how it compares to the 325. Thanks. Jon
post #192 of 585 Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 PM

I second that thought. You got me hooked on the zvox pproducts. I bought a used 315 on e-bay just to check it out and see what a zvox product is like.
Its much smaller but sounds pretty good. Probably will use for my computer or as a tv speaker in a bedroom. My real interest is in one of the soundbars the 415 or 425. I am just starting to build my system in the living/family room
(have not even got the HD TV yet) but I will be buying soon. Thanks for the honest reviews! Mark
post #193 of 585 Old 03-13-2009, 05:00 PM

I have the Niro 1000 in my bedroom, SVS 7.1 system downstairs and I can tell you that the Niro 1000 in unreal.

I've had the earlier versions of the Soundstage (or soundmatters) and the ZVOX (based on a CNET review). The Niro just blows these out of the water.

I don't think they bounce off the walls. It is strange, but sometimes depending on the material I think it is nearly (although not quite) as good as a surround system.

The system comes with a subwoofer and I added a booster to it. I had a smaller NIRO before the 1000 and gave it to by brother and he his estatic with the performance.

Anyway, they are on the high end price wise, but I would definitely give them a long look.
post #194 of 585 Old 03-15-2009, 04:20 PM

do connect your audio input throgh optical cable as the HDMI input would only give you 2.0 prologic sound..[/quote]

I didn't know that. HDMI does not pass along a full digital 5.1 or DTS to the soundbar???

Lenny K.
post #195 of 585 Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 AM

The latest edition of "Sound and Vision"-April/May-2009, popped in my door this morning. They reviewed it and gave it a very positive review. One of their "certified and recommended' stamps. Their "Snapshot" as follows:

PLUS:

Good dialogue reproduction.

Convincing surround effect

Possibly the only home theater audio system an average person could figure out

MINUS:

Hard-to-gauge adjustment levels

Sounds a little quiet with some Dolby Digital Sound tracks

MY THOUGHTS: Good balanced review. Glad they dinged the adjustment levels-my own personal pet peeve. Includes test bench curve. Notes usable bass extension to 50hz.
post #196 of 585 Old 03-16-2009, 05:13 PM

I went to their web site, but it is not up yet. I figured they would not have the latest issue articles on it yet. It is always nice when those who review products for a living "verify" what we amatuers already found out for ourselves - ZVOX makes some very fine-sounding speaker systems. Not perfect; but certainly worth it to many of us who have tried them.

I wonder, though, the ZB550 is not really a soundbar as your TV sits on top of it, so should it be in this particular thread? It might get "lost" with the other true soundbars being reviewed. I consider the ZB550 a specialized "soundbar-like" system since it is so much bigger overall than a typical soundbar and can realistically be located in only one place for a HTIB set-up. I would think that its size might enhance its subwoofer sound. Any thoughts on that?
post #197 of 585 Old 03-19-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellusedwallet View Post

I went to their web site, but it is not up yet. I figured they would not have the latest issue articles on it yet. It is always nice when those who review products for a living "verify" what we amatuers already found out for ourselves - ZVOX makes some very fine-sounding speaker systems. Not perfect; but certainly worth it to many of us who have tried them.

I wonder, though, the ZB550 is not really a soundbar as your TV sits on top of it, so should it be in this particular thread? It might get "lost" with the other true soundbars being reviewed. I consider the ZB550 a specialized "soundbar-like" system since it is so much bigger overall than a typical soundbar and can realistically be located in only one place for a HTIB set-up. I would think that its size might enhance its subwoofer sound. Any thoughts on that?

I don't believe the design of the this box influences the bass output. For this design, wide, deep and narrow, bass output is being determined by the size of the driver. This is not a generalization, though. For true sub woofers, size of the enclosure does make a big difference!

I think much of the box for the 550 is being used simply as a support for the TV. I like the design since it blends so well with the typical TV stand and TV (37 " and below) that you do not know it is there. Other sound bars run 40" and above-for me, they would standout like a sore thumb.
post #198 of 585 Old 03-19-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I helped a friend set up his new ZVOX 425. I have to admit that I came away very impressed. The build quality is very good and could easily sell for quite a bit more from a bigger company. It sounded very good with everything we tried. The bass was very impressive and I loved that fact that I honestly wouldn't need a separate subwoofer (again amazing bass for what it is). As much as I want the upcoming Sony CT500, I am not writing the ZVOX 425 off just yet. I might audition both and decide which one fits in our main room (I am definitely getting a ZVOX 325 for the family room).
post #199 of 585 Old 03-21-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you working for ZVOX and just not telling us?

Did they hook you up with a free 425 or something?
post #200 of 585 Old 03-21-2009, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Are you working for ZVOX and just not telling us?

Did they hook you up with a free 425 or something?

I wish!

Hey, YOTR! No, the flu laid me low for a couple of weeks. Not as young as I used to be.

Sorry, everyone for the long absence and delay. I'm just getting back on my feet. I will try to catch up as soon as I can. Believe me, I'm as anxious as anyone to take the 425 for a spin!

Best,

Bron
post #201 of 585 Old 03-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Try adjusting the Phase Cue down, it should improve the center channel a bit. If not let us know. Its one reason to have Phase Cue on the remote, to fix this when it seems to off for some material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty1 View Post

The latest edition of "Sound and Vision"-April/May-2009, popped in my door this morning. They reviewed it and gave it a very positive review. One of their "certified and recommended' stamps. Their "Snapshot" as follows:

PLUS:

Good dialogue reproduction.

Convincing surround effect

Possibly the only home theater audio system an average person could figure out

MINUS:

Hard-to-gauge adjustment levels

Sounds a little quiet with some Dolby Digital Sound tracks

MY THOUGHTS: Good balanced review. Glad they dinged the adjustment levels-my own personal pet peeve. Includes test bench curve. Notes usable bass extension to 50hz.

post #202 of 585 Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish!

Hey, YOTR! No, the flu laid me low for a couple of weeks. Not as young as I used to be.

Sorry, everyone for the long absence and delay. I'm just getting back on my feet. I will try to catch up as soon as I can. Believe me, I'm as anxious as anyone to take the 425 for a spin!

Best,

Bron

No problem Bron. Glad you are feeling better . Both of my kids (and wife) are just getting over it. I luckily didn't catch it . Take you time. After helping a friend install his 425 last week, I am getting even closer to pulling the trigger. I was very impressed with the sound especially the bass (no need for a sub in my opinion).
post #203 of 585 Old 03-22-2009, 06:13 AM

Do the Zvox soundbars need an open area around them to perform well? I am trying to figure out what type of media center furniture to get for my HDTV.
I have seen types that have open shelves and types that are closed in on three sides. It seems like maybe the best situation is to have a open back and open sides for best sound reproduction. Do any of you testers have any information about this? Does anyone have any good links for furniture ? Many thanks for a good thread. Mark
post #204 of 585 Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighttrack View Post

Do the Zvox soundbars need an open area around them to perform well? I am trying to figure out what type of media center furniture to get for my HDTV.
I have seen types that have open shelves and types that are closed in on three sides. It seems like maybe the best situation is to have a open back and open sides for best sound reproduction. Do any of you testers have any information about this? Does anyone have any good links for furniture ? Many thanks for a good thread. Mark

Surprisingly a real person will answer!!! And they are most helpful! An enclosure might make the subwoofer boomy-and then again may not-Call them.
post #205 of 585 Old 03-22-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty1 View Post

Surprisingly a real person will answer!!! And they are most helpful! An enclosure might make the subwoofer boomy-and then again may not-Call them.

Have called them and they are helpful! Just wanted "real world" opinions

which is the reason we post on forums. No worries I can be a god listener.
post #206 of 585 Old 03-23-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighttrack View Post

Have called them and they are helpful! Just wanted "real world" opinions

which is the reason we post on forums. No worries I can be a god listener.

I think-do not know for sure-that the sound on all the ZVOXs comes out of the front, and thus be not affected by an enclosure-except the subwoofer! For the subwoofer, it can come out of the bottom-like the 550, or the rear. I would think-do not know for sure-that the 550 would be the least affected, while those that vent to the back, the most affected.
post #207 of 585 Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 PM

I did pull the trigger on the Marantz ES7001. I also added the SW7001 subwoofer that pairs with the soundbar. I paid about $700.00 for both pieces.
Its been installed for about a week now. I am very impressed with this speaker and very satisfied with the purchase. Pretty much as described here...not a real surround affect in terms of sound from the direct sides or rear, but on DVD's a much wider sound field and the quality of sound is outstanding. For example, on the movie The Patriot sound during battles covers the entire front of my den, with bullets flying all over the place and even though the sub is pretty small, it definitely gave an impactful sound on the cannonfire. Not the total effect that my full surround system provides down in my media room, but waaay bettrer than the LCD tv speakers; and it plays plenty loud. That was one concern I had about the ZVOX piece. I have no way to compare the two because I haven't heard a ZVOX 425. Its evidently an excellant piece as well.
As good as the DVD movies sound with the Marantz, music cd's and DVD's are enhanced even more...after all, music is the Marant's forte.
Thanks to YOTR for putting on to the piece.

Lenny K.
post #208 of 585 Old 03-23-2009, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did pull the trigger on the Marantz ES7001. I also added the SW7001 subwoofer that pairs with the soundbar. I paid about $700.00 for both pieces.
Its been installed for about a week now. I am very impressed with this speaker and very satisfied with the purchase. Pretty much as described here...not a real surround affect in terms of sound from the direct sides or rear, but on DVD's a much wider sound field and the quality of sound is outstanding. For example, on the movie The Patriot sound during battles covers the entire front of my den, with bullets flying all over the place and even though the sub is pretty small, it definitely gave an impactful sound on the cannonfire. Not the total effect that my full surround system provides down in my media room, but waaay bettrer than the LCD tv speakers; and it plays plenty loud. That was one concern I had about the ZVOX piece. I have no way to compare the two because I haven't heard a ZVOX 425. Its evidently an excellant piece as well.
As good as the DVD movies sound with the Marantz, music cd's and DVD's are enhanced even more...after all, music is the Marant's forte.
Thanks to YOTR for putting on to the piece.

I am glad you like it! I have been tempted still even after the price increase. It's hard seeing so many on Ebay for a great price . I was wondering about the sub as my friend just used his older yamaha when he got it. How do you like the HDMI switching? My friend just decided to use optical and never used it.
post #209 of 585 Old 03-27-2009, 09:22 PM

It's no issue having the HDMI hooked up to the ES7001, I added a Harmony remote - Model 720, at $100 from Amazon. It handles all the HDMI switching when I select "Watch a DVD" on the remote. The ES7001 does not pass audio to the TV so I don't have to worry about muting the tv when I play a DVD.
The matching sub pares nicely with the ES7001. It goes down to about 35 hz which is low enough for most needs. The only thing I probably miss is very low movie sound effects. On concert DVD's and music soundtracks on movies it does a fine job of filling in the bottom. For the $160 price it's pretty impressive with a fairly tight and smooth base note. I was expecting to be disappointed at that price point but I was pleasantly surprised with its performance. It's a keeper.
btw, I paid a little more than the lowest prices available on Ebay because I bought a refurb piece from a certified Marantz dealer so I could get a one year warranty. The piece ariived in original Marantz packaging and looked brand new.

Lenny K.
post #210 of 585 Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Liked: 11
Hey Bron, have you had a chance to listen to the 425 yet? Don't leave us hanging! Thanks. Jon
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page