Vizio VSB210WS Soundbar - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 145 Old 03-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=jbimmerle;18194318]Has the new Vizio soundbar been released that decodes Dolby Digital as you indicated? If so -- mind passing on a link to product specs and where I might purchase it.

Thanks![/QUOTE
It's (well they) are not out yet. Here is an overview.
http://www.hometheaterinaboxreview.c...eater-products

the high end bar looks to be an awesome deal with all the features, including Ipod dock and rear wireless speakers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 145 Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 PM

I currently have this soundbar and have one issue:

The subwoofer suddenly increases in BASS volume at random times and I don't know why? Does anyone have this issue and can chime in as to why this occurs? It doesn't make any sense, and I have a clear line of sight. Is this a manufacturer defect?
post #93 of 145 Old 03-12-2010, 10:47 AM

I have the 551XVT and just got the 210WS sound bar. Since the 210 remote is cheesy to say the least, I programmed the TV remote audio function per the 210ws manual with code 31517. The TV remote can control all sound bar functions except for volume up/down, which is a pain since I use the non-variable out optical connection. (Yes after several blind listening tests, you can notice an improvement with optical vs RCA - more clarity, better spacial relationships). So without volume up/down working on the TV remote you cannot turn the sound bar down!

I called Vizio, who said not all remotes can provide all functions and there is no other code. However after searching around I found that the 551 TV remote (VUR8M) is a learning remote - this is not mentioned in the manual. I was able to program every function from the sound bar remote to the much better TV remote. Here's how.
Teaching the Remote Control

It is recommended that both remotes have fresh batteries for the teaching function. Place teaching and learning remote controls no farther than 2 apart. If elapsed time between pressing keys is 10 seconds or longer the remote control will exit programming mode requiring you to start from Step 1.

1. Press and hold down the SET key until led blinks twice.
2. Input code 9 7 5, led blinks twice to confirm code acceptance.
3. Press the Mode key. (DVD, Audio, Cable or TV).
4. Press key to be learned. LED will blink rapidly.
5. Press and hold key to be taught on teaching remote control.
6. Led will stop blinking rapidly, then blink twice to confirm key has been programmed.
7. Repeat Steps 3 through 6 until all desired keys are taught into your remote control.
8. Exit learning mode by pressing SET or by waiting 10 seconds (time out).

Clearing the Memory

1. Press and hold down Set until Led blinks twice
2. Input code 9 8 1, led blinks twice signaling code acceptance.
3. In Step 2, code 9 7 7 can be used in instead.

The remote control is now ready to be programmed with original codes. Now I have the TV remote control the TV, soundbar via Audio, my DVD player, and DISH PVR via cable. . And all functions are available on the TV remote. Just saved a bunch of cash on a Harmony remote! woohoo!
post #94 of 145 Old 03-12-2010, 03:49 PM

Anyone have an answer to my question?
post #95 of 145 Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by storino03 View Post

Anyone have an answer to my question?

Hi storino03, I don't have a real answer so I'm going just guess at this.
Do you happen to use a 2.4GHz cordless phone or wireless router in your home and/or near your sound system? If so try changing channel frequencey on the phone and move the 2.4GHz unit away from your sound system.
post #96 of 145 Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 AM

Are you able to add your own subwoofer to the vizio bar without the wireless sub?
post #97 of 145 Old 03-31-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daweeze02 View Post

Are you able to add your own subwoofer to the vizio bar without the wireless sub?

Yes, here's the Vizio site link VSB200 Sound Bar
post #98 of 145 Old 03-31-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh626pro View Post

Yes, here's the Vizio site link VSB200 Sound Bar

sweet thanks
post #99 of 145 Old 04-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Trying to link my Vizio VSB210WS subwoofer to my soundbar. Soundbar works fine. When I power up the sub, orange blinking lite comes up on sub. When I push "link" on sub and "input" on soundbar simultaneously for 10 seconds and release, orange lite still blinking on sub and not linking. Took the foam off the soundbar led's and remote for soundbar works fine, so don't think it's the sensor. Any other ideas or help. Called Vizio support and said unplug and try later, then if not work, send back. Really don't want to do that, just think it's something I am doing wrong. PLEASE HELP. thanks.
post #100 of 145 Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlshoppy View Post

When I push "link" on sub and "input" on soundbar simultaneously for 10 seconds and release, orange lite still blinking on sub and not linking.

I'm not sure where you got the simultaneous for 10 seconds part? I just got a new VSB210WS yesterday, and the instructions that came with mine say to press the link button on the sub, THEN press the input button on the soundbar and hold it (the input button, not the soundbar button on the sub) for 5 seconds. About 15-20 seconds later, the light on the soundbar went solid and it's been working great ever since.
post #101 of 145 Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 PM

Bringing this thread back! Looks like the upcoming VHT212 (w/integrated ipod docking pad) got knocked down to the VHT210, which by specifications is definitely sub-par to the bigger and more robust sounding VSB210WS.

I just can't understand VIZIO's approach to soundbars, looks as if they are downgrading the their newer soundbars when compared to the VSB210WS. Only thing that looks better about the new VHT210 is the ability to power off the subwoofer with a switch, plus the treble and bass adjustments on the soundbar remote as well.

Guess I will stop waiting around for VIZIO's new soundbars when it looks like the VSB210WS was their best. Now, I just have to find one somewhere w/o paying $299 on VIZIO's web-page...
post #102 of 145 Old 06-18-2010, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER MAN View Post

Bringing this thread back! Looks like the upcoming VHT212 (w/integrated ipod docking pad) got knocked down to the VHT210, which by specifications is definitely sub-par to the bigger and more robust sounding VSB210WS.

I just can't understand VIZIO's approach to soundbars, looks as if they are downgrading the their newer soundbars when compared to the VSB210WS. Only thing that looks better about the new VHT210 is the ability to power off the subwoofer with a switch, plus the treble and bass adjustments on the soundbar remote as well.

Guess I will stop waiting around for VIZIO's new soundbars when it looks like the VSB210WS was their best. Now, I just have to find one somewhere w/o paying $299 on VIZIO's web-page...

Yes,,, what Vizio says they are going ro release and what they end up releasing can be two different things.

But besides the remote and and extra sound adjustments the new'er VHT210 does also offer Dolby Digital and SRS StudioSound HD,,,, so it does have the potential to be a nice up-grade from the current Vizio bar.

An odd thing,,, the VHT512 is listed on Amazon and on Targets website's as coming soon (with picture) but not listed at all on Vizios own site.

Cheers
Davyo
post #103 of 145 Old 06-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Oh yes, forgot about the DD decoding on the VHT210 as well. Weird that the VHT210's speakers are all smaller as well, not to mention the 32" length compared to the 40" of the VSB210WS.

Yes I also read about the news and press on the VIZIO's website where they make it sound like the VSB210WS will be replaced with the VSB201 only difference being supporting Dolby Digital and a new remote.

So, actually the VHT210 won't be the replacement for the VSB210WS, but the VSB201 will be? Confusing. Anyone know if the new VSB201 was at CES, having the Dolby Digital decoding and a new remote?
post #104 of 145 Old 06-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw2575 View Post

I purchased the Vizio soundbar with wireless subwoofer from Sam's this weekend and I have a question. I hooked it up to the tv with an optical cable and when watching tv, the audio is fine. However, when I watched Public Enemies on blu ray, the audio when the actors were speaking would gradually become quieter and quieter and at some points be completely inaudible; I could see the lips moving but couldn't hear anything. When this happened, I turned the soundbar off and back on and everything was fine; although, it would eventually become quieter again.

I was wondering if anyone would know why it would do this during a blu ray but not during regular tv, and what I should do to try and fix it. Thanks.

Did you ever get answer to your problem? The reason I ask is mine did the same thing. I bought a refurb. from TigerD. to use with Samsung C8000 it has internet apps. like Netflix, Vudu & a few others. Hooked it up with toslink and had same problem but it also would not pass audio from Vudu even making sure Vudu audio was set to PCM. Regular TV passed the audio set to PCM & Netflix (sound would drop off) worked but no Vudu.

I swicthed to Analog inputs and everthing was fine sound didn't drop down & Vudu audio worked.

Maybe thats why it was sent back to be refurbed?

mark
post #105 of 145 Old 06-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

Did you ever get answer to your problem? The reason I ask is mine did the same thing. I bought a refurb. from TigerD. to use with Samsung C8000 it has internet apps. like Netflix, Vudu & a few others. Hooked it up with toslink and had same problem but it also would not pass audio from Vudu even making sure Vudu audio was set to PCM. Regular TV passed the audio set to PCM & Netflix (sound would drop off) worked but no Vudu.

I swicthed to Analog inputs and everthing was fine sound didn't drop down & Vudu audio worked.

Maybe thats why it was sent back to be refurbed?

mark

BAD toslink cable no more sound drifting and Vudu has audio.

mark
post #106 of 145 Old 06-28-2010, 07:05 PM

I recently purchased the Vizio VSB210ws and am experienceing a popping/snapping sound every few minutes. I have it connected to my PS3 via a toslink cable. I thought that maybe it was a cable issue, so I tried the analog cables provided with the system and connected them to my standalone DVD player. Still got the popping noise. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
post #107 of 145 Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschetterb View Post

I recently purchased the Vizio VSB210ws and am experienceing a popping/snapping sound every few minutes. I have it connected to my PS3 via a toslink cable. I thought that maybe it was a cable issue, so I tried the analog cables provided with the system and connected them to my standalone DVD player. Still got the popping noise. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I had a similar problem with my first one (although not every few minutes, but rather every few hours in my case). Finally one night it made a very loud 'POP" noise, and that was it...fried amp I would guess. After that the connection to the sub was lost, all the status lights went out, and the only sound that came out of the soundbar was a constant "thumping" sound from the right side speaker.

I was able to return mine to Costco and get a brand new one - which has not had any problems at all. I would try to exchange it if you can, or get Vizio to send you another one before it fries!
post #108 of 145 Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi storino03, I don't have a real answer so I'm going just guess at this.
Do you happen to use a 2.4GHz cordless phone or wireless router in your home and/or near your sound system? If so try changing channel frequencey on the phone and move the 2.4GHz unit away from your sound system.

Nope. No wireless interference close by. The bass volume is getting unusually loud with the same type of audio source (with the source not changing in bass) so I don't know why the subwoofer is blasting the noise higher than normal. I also don't really know why the settings, which are meant to be features, would be causing the issues. Over the phone, the tech support said that it raises the volume based on what is happening on the program. This wouldn't be correct as the program isn't increasing in bass at all--the way my issue is--(same with volume). It is staying constant, and suddenly the bass randomly jumps really, really high (ear-piercingly loud). The only way to fix it is the press the Sub+ or Sub-- button once for the bass levels to go back to normal. It happens on TV, the PS3, and everything in between. I don't see how, for example, something as quiet as a news program will have this occur?

Is my subwoofer faulty? Anyone have both settings enabled and experience the issue? I have tried connecting through via AV cables and Optical, but same thing. Currently using Optical.
post #109 of 145 Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 PM

I'm a newbie, so hope I'm following the rules. (Should this be a new thread, or post??)
I've had a VSB210WS for just over a year, and have been quite happy with it. But, 2 days ago, after being on for about 5 minutes, the sound completely muted, all the LEDs came on and the middle LED was flashing. Three or four minutes later the sound came back on. This pattern repeats. I've tried everything in the manual - which isn't much: cleaning the vent, cycling through the settings, resetting to default (by unplugging and restarting holding the power button down for 30 seconds. I've checked the connections and tried a different audio cable. No luck.
Anyone had this problem??
I called Vizio tech support. They ran me through the same checks and then told me that since I was 60 days out of warranty that I was on my own. They have NO authorized service centers or vendors. At first they said to call ASI Audio Technologies - who makes the device for Vizio - that maybe they could help. I then talked to a supervisor, who said "Sorry, the ASI phone number is out of service - they don't repair the units for consumers, only for us at Vizio. Maybe you can find a local electronics repair guy who could take a look."
I'm frustrated and actually angry that Vizio was so cavalier about not standing behind their product or caring what happened after warranty. The guy actually told me it was pretty much a disposable item and that when under warranty, they replace them rather than repair them.
So... I guess it's buyer beware.
Sorry for the rant - and if I'm out of line for the post, I apologize.

Meanwhile, anyone have a suggestion?
vizbar likes this.
post #110 of 145 Old 07-10-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Bromo, this is actually a very good place for a post like that. I own the basic soundbar and have had no difficulties and for the price of around a c-note, I would dispose of it if I did have problems that couldn't be resolved. The cavalier attitude you note does not give me a lot of confidence in dealing with them in the future. Along with my Panasonic black levels that are different on Tuesday than they were on Monday, 2009 was probably not the most excellent year I have had in selecting audio video components. And I have been doing that for 30 years this year.

David Freeman
post #111 of 145 Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM

Thanks David
post #112 of 145 Old 07-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromo2 View Post

I'm a newbie, so hope I'm following the rules. (Should this be a new thread, or post??)
I've had a VSB210WS for just over a year, and have been quite happy with it. But, 2 days ago, after being on for about 5 minutes, the sound completely muted, all the LEDs came on and the middle LED was flashing. Three or four minutes later the sound came back on. This pattern repeats. I've tried everything in the manual - which isn't much: cleaning the vent, cycling through the settings, resetting to default (by unplugging and restarting holding the power button down for 30 seconds. I've checked the connections and tried a different audio cable. No luck.
I called Vizio tech support. They ran me through the same checks and then told me that since I was 60 days out of warranty that I was on my own. They have NO authorized service centers or vendors. At first they said to call ASI Audio Technologies - who makes the device for Vizio - that maybe they could help. I then talked to a supervisor, who said "Sorry, the ASI phone number is out of service - they don't repair the units for consumers, only for us at Vizio. Maybe you can find a local electronics repair guy who could take a look."
I'm frustrated and actually angry that Vizio was so cavalier about not standing behind their product or caring what happened after warranty. The guy actually told me it was pretty much a disposable item and that when under warranty, they replace them rather than repair them.

Maybe you could do a websearch for ASI Audio Technologies and go directly to them (call or email). You might get someone there who is sympathetic to your plight and help you.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #113 of 145 Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Good suggestion.
Vizio told me not to bother - that it would be of no use.
But, why should I take their word for anything right now!
Thanks
post #114 of 145 Old 10-16-2010, 08:23 PM
ndz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromo2 View Post

I have the exact same problem. My soundbar just started cutting in and out with middle light blinking.

Bromo, did you ever find a solution?
post #115 of 145 Old 10-24-2010, 08:27 AM

I'm having the same problem as ndz. Every few minutes the soundbar stops working for 15-30 seconds at a time. The middle light is blinking and the other lights are all solid. What the hell?
post #116 of 145 Old 10-24-2010, 11:12 AM
ndz

Quote:
Originally Posted by armour248 View Post

I'm having the same problem as ndz. Every few minutes the soundbar stops working for 15-30 seconds at a time. The middle light is blinking and the other lights are all solid. What the hell?

I have verified that the problem exists even where there is no audio source connected. The lights randomly turn on with middle flashing.

Heat seems like the trigger. If I leave the soundbar off and turn it on just before use, I can get up to 30 minutes or so before the error starts happening (sound cut out, lights flashing) every few minutes.

During the error, I notice the soundbar feels warm at the top center but that could be normal.
post #117 of 145 Old 10-25-2010, 02:42 PM

I unplugged my device yesterday out of frustration. I just plugged it in and it appears to be working, but has only been on for ~5 minutes. I'm assuming it will revert back to the cutting in and out at some point.

The vizio tech support instructed me that the flashing light is the indicator for "thermal shutdown". Overheating appears to be the problem but I have no idea why my bar would be overheating...it is sitting on a TV stand and is clear of any obstructions. The tech person basically just told me there is nothing to do about it except for making sure the vents are clear etc.
post #118 of 145 Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 PM
ndz

Some credit cards double the factory warranty for electronics. If Vizio won't help, you might want to check if you get that benefit (if you bought with a CC).
post #119 of 145 Old 11-15-2010, 01:01 PM
ndz

Finally got around to calling Vizio about the overheating problem on my 3 month out-of-warranty VSB210WS. They said, "Sorry. Here's a couple repair numbers you can call and decide if it's worth fixing".

The first number I called doesn't even repair Vizio soundbars. I ended up leaving a voicemail at the other number.

I was hoping for better support from Vizio and therefore decided to stop recommending their products.
post #120 of 145 Old 12-18-2010, 10:23 AM

I had a vizio TV recently and also i have the sound bar. The sound bar worked with both vizio TVs but i just purchased a samsung tv and i cannot get the sound bar to work. The vizios had a red and white audio out hookup on them but the sammy only has one port for an audio out. I bought a splitter but when i turn on the sound bar nothing but static. I can faintly here the sound in the back. i have no clue what else to do.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio Vsb210ws Universal Hd Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer , Sony Htct100 Sound Bar With Subwoofer Black , Yamaha Yas 71 Front Surround System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page