Vizio VSB210WS Soundbar - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 145 Old 12-18-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The Vizio soundbar only works with PCM from the digital (optical) output of your TV. You would need to first check to see what type of audio output comes from your television. Second, some TV's, only send output to the digital connection when you either power off the internal speakers or set the TV to Home Theater (or similar) mode.

David Freeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 145 Old 12-28-2010, 07:55 AM

Liked: 10
Greetings: Needing some tech information. I have the Vizio vbs210ws. Connected to a xvt55sv. If the soundbar is active does it pretty much block anyother A/V RCA audio out connections through the back of the TV.
I could not get a set of Wireless headphones to work.
Vizio Tech support went round robin with me. Said I needed a jack or us the audio out which was the point of the chat. It seems that if the Sound bar is active the TV side of the audio out is disabled. If I pick external device I.E soundbar, then TV speakers are off. If I go back and pick TV speakers it disables the sound bar and have to re-configure through device setup.
You folks have any information that would explain this?
post #123 of 145 Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM

My vizio soundbar purchased March of 2010 has finally died about a month ago. It has white flashing lights, which indicates a "thermal shutdown". I originally purchased it for $200 off of the Tiger Direct website as a "refurbished" unit.

I couldn't find a way to open the soundbar up (no screws), which leads me to believe it was all glued together in some fashion. From what I could shine my flashlight into, it looks like some of the capacitors have leaked or have started to leak onto the board, which may or may not explain the problem.

I dunno if it's worth fixing as my vizio 1 year warranty is long gone.
post #124 of 145 Old 11-17-2011, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by storino03 View Post

My vizio soundbar purchased March of 2010 has finally died about a month ago. It has white flashing lights, which indicates a "thermal shutdown". I originally purchased it for $200 off of the Tiger Direct website as a "refurbished" unit.

I couldn't find a way to open the soundbar up (no screws), which leads me to believe it was all glued together in some fashion. From what I could shine my flashlight into, it looks like some of the capacitors have leaked or have started to leak onto the board, which may or may not explain the problem.

I can't help you with your sound bar but just for future purchases, Referbs from Tiger Direct usually only come with a 90 day warranty. You may want to check that when purchasing referbs.
post #125 of 145 Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM

Anyone know if the Vizio wireless subwoofer can be used on other soundbars? I know it's wireless, but is it just meant to be paired with the Vizio soundbar or is there a way to mod a plug for a 3.5mm output?

Or else I'll just sell the subwoofer on ebay. Seems to go for a good amount (around $100)
post #126 of 145 Old 01-29-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storino03 View Post

Just got the same flashing lights this last month after 4ys

You CAN open the unit, remove the sunken grommets that the front removable panel clips into and there are 14 screws

I just pulled mine apart this morning and saw no bulging capacitors etc so I rerouted a few of the cables out of the middle section where the circuit board is and used my Dremel to open up the front and a small amount in the back to allow air to flow through. Will see if this works and will post pics at that time of the inside.

134" of HD picture !!
post #127 of 145 Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaussi View Post

Just got the same flashing lights this last month after 4ys

You CAN open the unit, remove the sunken grommets that the front removable panel clips into and there are 14 screws

I just pulled mine apart this morning and saw no bulging capacitors etc so I rerouted a few of the cables out of the middle section where the circuit board is and used my Dremel to open up the front and a small amount in the back to allow air to flow through. Will see if this works and will post pics at that time of the inside.

@ukaussi Hey did your solution fix the thermal problem? I have had this issue with no solution for a long time and man I want this thing working again. I am willing to hack my soundbar to make it work.
post #128 of 145 Old 03-12-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrema View Post

@ukaussi Hey did your solution fix the thermal problem? I have had this issue with no solution for a long time and man I want this thing working again. I am willing to hack my soundbar to make it work.

I opened up a fairly large section and it only resulted in it working for an hour instead of 30min.
I now wish I hadn't cut it up as I bought it from Costco and should have just returned it and got another.

134" of HD picture !!
post #129 of 145 Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 PM

I had also bought a refurb and after the third try, they finally sent one that worked. I could not get my cable box to send the correct PCM signal so I have been just using RCA until recently. I just picked up a Logitech Revue and it was able to send the correct PCM signal and all was good. Unfortunately, 2 days later, the bar made a slight pop and turned off. Now when I try to power it on, it pops and flashes all the leds once then powers back down. Any ideas? I really like the sound and would not hesitate to buy another one if I knew I was not going to have to return it 3 times to get a good one.
post #130 of 145 Old 06-12-2012, 07:16 AM

I am surprised they continue to make this model as it would appear to have a definite higher than usual failure rate for so few components.

I bought another from Costco so if it fails within a resonably short time frame I will simply return it as the sound is great.

134" of HD picture !!
post #131 of 145 Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM

Liked: 14
I am having the exact same issue. Did you ever find a solution to the problem?

Thanks!
post #132 of 145 Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 PM

mine just started with the thermal light code, then it turns itself back on after a minute or so, trying to blow out the air holes see if it makes a difference or not. It is a relatively warm day here today.

I wonder when I bought it? When did costco carry the 210ws (with the sub), anybody remember?

-David
post #133 of 145 Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM

I bought mine in 2009. And it started acting up a couple years later. At first it would lose input and regain in a few minutes, but as time went by, it wouldn't come on without a reset.

Where are the air holes?

Thanks!
post #134 of 145 Old 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM

there's some small vent holes on the back in the block where the connectors are.

It hasn't acted up since I blew them out, but they didn't appear to be too dusty.

-David
post #135 of 145 Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Davis, did you have to remove the front panel, or did you just blow out the vent holes from the back using a compressed air can?

Thanks!
post #136 of 145 Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizbar View Post

Davis, did you have to remove the front panel, or did you just blow out the vent holes from the back using a compressed air can?

Thanks!

the latter, also cleaned out what appeared to be speaker ports since they had some dust in there. I don't know if they are actual speaker ports or just the way they molded the plastic, but there was dust in them.

The little holes and slots did not appear to be dusty, and I did remove the power cords and audio cables when I did it. (mostly so I could take a look at it and try to clean it up.)

It might be a coincidence that it helped. I guess I will find out eventually if it happens again. It was unusually warm here that day.

-David
post #137 of 145 Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 PM

well, I gave up today and purchased a replacement. It happened a couple more times and today it was in thermal shutdown mode and just stayed there. I unplugged it for a bit and it worked again, but at this point I'm sure it's just on borrowed time. Sent a message to vizio support about to see what they say, but I just picked up something else at Costco today when I was there.

-David
post #138 of 145 Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM

@David - Did you get a replacement Vizio?

I did the blow-up clean-up as you suggested. The soundbar worked for an hour or so, then it died as before.

Don't this there is a solution to this problem. It's just a badly designed/manufactured piece.

Vizio tech-support is a sham. The last time I contacted them, they offered to sell me a refurb, for more than retail mad.gif
post #139 of 145 Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 PM

I replaced it but not with a vizio. Samsung HW-FM45C. It was an arbitrary decision based on what was available at the Maui Costco (I can always return it if I don't like it.) They had 2 Samsung models, a nice looking Yamaha and a Sony.

The unit is kind of thin, but it fits nicely in front of the tv. I had the vizio behind the tv. (can I upload pics there?)

Sound is decent for tv use. This is for my bedroom. Living room has the full 5.1 setup with an old HK AVR7200, full range speakers, sub, etc. For music I would look at something else.

The tivo glo remote (learning remote) can't control the volume on the soundbar, so you either use the aux input and control it from the tv (using the tivo remote volume buttons) or you use their separate remote. This is pretty much the same thing I had to do with the old vizio soundbar anyway.

-David
post #140 of 145 Old 05-10-2013, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

I replaced it but not with a vizio. Samsung HW-FM45C. It was an arbitrary decision based on what was available at the Maui Costco (I can always return it if I don't like it.) They had 2 Samsung models, a nice looking Yamaha and a Sony.

The unit is kind of thin, but it fits nicely in front of the tv. I had the vizio behind the tv. (can I upload pics there?)

Sound is decent for tv use. This is for my bedroom. Living room has the full 5.1 setup with an old HK AVR7200, full range speakers, sub, etc. For music I would look at something else.

The tivo glo remote (learning remote) can't control the volume on the soundbar, so you either use the aux input and control it from the tv (using the tivo remote volume buttons) or you use their separate remote. This is pretty much the same thing I had to do with the old vizio soundbar anyway.

-David

Hope it works out for you. If you have any questions or issues, feel free to stop by the HW-E450 thread. It is my understanding that your unit is basically the same as that one.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #141 of 145 Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

If you have any questions or issues, feel free to stop by the HW-E450 thread. It is my understanding that your unit is basically the same as that one.

thanks for that .. got hdmi-cec and arc working after reading the first couple of pages of that massive thread.

-David
post #142 of 145 Old 12-20-2013, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 52
After about four years, my Vizio VSB210WS is giving me the thermal shutdown error. I just noticed it last night while visiting friends. Every few minutes the LED lights on the soundbar would light up with the fourth one flashing, which the manual indicates as the thermal shutdown error. But after just a few minutes it would deliver audio. However, it just repeats this cycle every few minutes (5 or less). My wife and I were not even home watching TV or anything yesterday and it's winter so the house is around 69 degrees. The soundbar sits on the top of an entertainment cabinet with no sides and it is half a foot or so from the wall, so ventilation is very good; better than when I actually had it mounted to the wall. The thing is that since my TV's speakers suck so bad I have used it for audio 24/7. The unit is always on, whereas before I got this TV I would only turn it on when watching movies since my old HDTV's speakers were adequate for most viewing. I wonder if it just hit that magic number of hours of operation it was built for and it had a meltdown? I don't believe they manufacture them this way with a time-to-live, but electronics, as with a lot of things, have a certain life expectancy and perhaps mine reached its limit. Now I have to research a new sound bar solution and I'm low on money right now with the holidays. Good news is that perhaps I can find a good deal somewhere, hopefully. I really liked the Vizio, but I am wondering if it's a good idea to buy another sound bar from them?
post #143 of 145 Old 12-20-2013, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 52
After a power reset (unplugging the unit for several minutes) it has been working without issue. I am going to check out some sound bars today just in case I need to replace the unit sometime soon.
post #144 of 145 Old 12-20-2013, 05:25 PM

I gave up on Vizio after the thermal shut-down problems. No amount of resetting got it to work.

I got a Yamaha YAS-101 and am very happy with the sound.
post #145 of 145 Old 05-10-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
OK, found a fresher thread so repeat here:

...I just acquired a dead one of these from my neighbor, he said it quit after a power outage (which shouldn't kill anything if properly designed, maybe it's just a case of Murphy's Law). External power module is good. After pressing the power button the LEDs blink on for a second then nothing (the manual is vague in regards to power-up but I think they're supposed to come on for 5 seconds); After that ANY button presses do nothing (various LED patterns are supposed to occur).

If I hold the power button on for several seconds all the LEDs light up and stay lit up although it's not in a working state. Does anyone know if this is a service code function that tells me anything specific? Or does anyone know service code function/access?

BTW in the condition of the second pgh it does exhibit a typical audio amp discharge sound on power-down.

I suspect not worth replacing the main PCB unless really cheap and good luck finding circuit diagrams, etc. Probably modify the speaker wiring for use with an external amp. Too bad as I think he never used the subwoofer (still wrapped in plastic).

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio Vsb210ws Universal Hd Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer , Sony Htct100 Sound Bar With Subwoofer Black , Yamaha Yas 71 Front Surround System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page