Planning on purchasing a soundbar, can't decide what to do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning to purchase a soundbar for my HDTV and I can't decide on a model. I don't know whether I should go with the majority of users here and purchase the CT-100, or purchase between the Yamaha YAS 71 as well as the YAS 900. I can wait for the release of Yamaha's 09' models, but is that really necessary? The dimensions of my room are fairly small, 11 x 14 ft. My room is fully enclosed as well(so sounds will have the ability to bounce off walls). I leaning towards the YAS 900 but I'm not all that sure. Any advice/tips is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'd say the Yamaha ysp 900.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

One more note, I am planning to hook this up to my PS3 to provide HD sound whenever I watch BR movies as well as when I play games.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The CT100 is the only soundbar on the market that can do the HD Audio tracks off a Bluray. The CT100 is advised for small rooms though but there are some exceptions for bigger rooms. Yamaha's are king though when it comes to soundbars but none of their current soundbars can do the HD Audio tracks, not even through PCM (which the CT100 does).

PSN- da1writer
My Sony CT-100 Settings (& PS3 Settings) *UPDATED 1/10/09*
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15172017
Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

So in other words, the Yamaha YSP soundbars can't play any high-quality MP3 soundtracks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by da1writer View Post

....HD Audio tracks off a Bluray.....

Now I'm really lost, I apologize. I never plan to listen to tracks that are included on blu-ray discs if that's what your saying.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

He means that the CT-100 can handle the decoded lossless audio from a Blu-ray movie sent from a PS3. However, I really really wouldn't make that the deciding factor when considering soundbars. Put it into perspective; the CT-100 has three teeny-tiny 1.5x2.75 woofers in front and a little 6.5 woofer in the sub unit (and those specs are annoyingly difficult to find because they are well obfuscated by Sony). It makes a very small impact and all the uncompressed audio in the universe won't make any difference with this little unit.

There are reports everywhere that many have a hard time deciphering a significant (usually subtle) difference between TrueHD and Dolby Digital, even on a very high end system in a controlled environment - so how in the world could a cheap Sony soundbar be any better?

Go listen to the Yamaha and Sony soundbar and make a decision on your own. Weigh the pros and cons of each and make a decision - and buy from a store with a good return policy if it doesn't work out and you want to try another soundbar.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 AM

Great explanation.

Thanks.

H
Old 02-21-2009, 07:16 AM

I am a newbie when it comes to these systems. I never knew the difference between TV speakers and listening to a speaker system so I apologize ahead of time. I want to stay under $500 and less if you have a better recommendation.

I have a Sony Blu-ray player and a 50" TV in a den that is 19x19 feet. I have ceramic tile so 'hiding' cables/cords is not an option. I was looking into the Soundbar/Surroundbar systems (after seeing that Bose 321 infomercial) - pardon me if these systems are in different classes since I don't know.

I thought of these 'wireless rear speaker' systems but reading reviews show that they don't function well.

I am looking at the following:

Yamaha YAS-71BL Front Surround System
Polk Audio AM1805-A SurroundBar SDA Instant Home Theater
Sony HTCT100 Sound Bar with Sub-Woofer
Boston Acoustics TVee Powered Soundbar Speaker System with Wireless Subwoofer

I also considered getting a Sony Receiver:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DG520...5352454&sr=8-1

and the Energy Take 5 speakers but just hooking up the front speakers - not the back.

Which would be a better choice?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:40 PM

bump