Sound Bars? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-18-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I post a lot in the LCD section but this is my first post in the sound section so if this is the wrong sub forum just tell me. I have been looking at sound bars and was just wondering what the consensus on them is. How good is the sound quality for both bass and for other sound and how well do they do in general? Would a movie like The Dark Knight require me to turn the volume up and down due to the loudness of some scenes and the quiet of others? Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-20-2009, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes2702 View Post

Hey Guys,

I post a lot in the LCD section but this is my first post in the sound section so if this is the wrong sub forum just tell me. I have been looking at sound bars and was just wondering what the consensus on them is. How good is the sound quality for both bass and for other sound and how well do they do in general? Would a movie like The Dark Knight require me to turn the volume up and down due to the loudness of some scenes and the quiet of others? Thanks for the help

Yes, you posted in the correct forum section.

I think the general consenus is that no soundbar is going to give you a full-on 5.1 sound (rear speakers) but that's not really a bad thing.

As a soundbar junkie (I have owned more than a few) I prefure a good soundbar over a 5.1 system,,, reason being,,, I like the non-directional, your in a sound bubble effect of a "good" soundbar more than the very directional sound you get and hear from each speaker hanging around the room with a 5.1 system.

Hope that made sense.

Most here would agree the two best soundbars to be had right now would be the Sony CT-100 and the Yamaha YSP"s.

If you can hold off for a bit on a sounbar purchase the up-coming Sony CT-500 looks like it might become the king of soundbars.

Cheers
Davyo
post #3 of 3 Old 03-20-2009, 06:40 AM

Liked: 10
I would agree with Davyo. I have had a Polk Surround 360 for a little over a month. I do like the sound, the way it fills the room, but it does not replace the sound of rear speakers. I also love the bass that comes out of the 360 in particular, I didn't order a sub-woofer, the guy at Polk said try it without one first the decide. I still may order one but the bass out of the sound bar sounds really good. I listened to the CT-100 in a store (not a good test, I know) but didn't think the volume was loud enough for my large room. The CT-500 looks very promising and I think I would seriously consider it over what I got, especially considering price.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page