dfp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

DFP - you are absolutely right. If your TV can not be changed to output PCM you are just about out of luck with the Vizio unless you have analog out. Other than that, everything you say correlates with my experience. I have been using and loving the VSB200 for the last ten months. It outperformed the Yamaha sound projector (fancy name for a fancy soundbar) which costs about 15 times more than the Vizio.

DR, Thanks very much for the response. Fortunately the 200 sounds great using A/V from the cablebox and DVD, so everyone is happy. I just needed to know I covered all the bases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1019 Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
stupid question- What is PCM? Could not find in FAQ
post #273 of 1019 Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was on the verge of paying for a Sony CT150, because I like the HDMI inputs. I have 3 HDMI inputs on the TV, but one is in the front and pretty much unusable, since I have 2 little kids and we have to keep the front panel taped shut.

Then I started to ask myself if one of the cheaper sound bars out there would be ok, since as of right now I'm using the built-in speakers on my Panasonic Plasma.

How big an improvement would this sound bar be (which I can get for under $100 at Meijer) over the TV speakers? I do believe my Panny has RCA audio out if I can't switch it to PCM for the optical. Also, how important is a sub anyhow?
post #274 of 1019 Old 08-23-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

I was on the verge of paying for a Sony CT150, because I like the HDMI inputs. I have 3 HDMI inputs on the TV, but one is in the front and pretty much unusable, since I have 2 little kids and we have to keep the front panel taped shut.

Then I started to ask myself if one of the cheaper sound bars out there would be ok, since as of right now I'm using the built-in speakers on my Panasonic Plasma.

How big an improvement would this sound bar be (which I can get for under $100 at Meijer) over the TV speakers? I do believe my Panny has RCA audio out if I can't switch it to PCM for the optical. Also, how important is a sub anyhow?

Although I don't think the Panny speakers are horrible, almost any decent soundbar will give you a richer audio experience. You didn't say if your Panny is a newer one. Mine is a 2009 and it only has optical out (no RCA) and there is no setting to switch to PCM. Since I haven't owned a Vizio, I can't help you on the rest of your questions.
post #275 of 1019 Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingmantom View Post

stupid question- What is PCM? Could not find in FAQ

PCM = pulse code modulation. You can look it up in Wikipedia and learn more than you ever wanted to know.
post #276 of 1019 Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Although I don't think the Panny speakers are horrible, almost any decent soundbar will give you a richer audio experience. You didn't say if your Panny is a newer one. Mine is a 2009 and it only has optical out (no RCA) and there is no setting to switch to PCM. Since I haven't owned a Vizio, I can't help you on the rest of your questions.

I just took a look at the specs online, as I'm not at home to check. According to the Panasonic website, it does list both analog and digital audio output jacks.
I have the Panasonic TH 42PX80U which I bought in late 2008.
post #277 of 1019 Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 AM

This is my first post/reply, so go easy on me as I integrate myself into the forum. This review is for the Vizio VSB-200 Soundbar. After reading through this lengthy thread regarding the VSB-200, I felt compelled to share my experience as a recent owner. First, let me say thank you to all that have commented on the Vizio VSB-200. Some posts / posters obviously have greater insight and knowledge of the product and are able to articulately communicate that with everyone (i.e. drfreeman60, davyo). This really helped in making a decision for purchase.
The list of my components include: Panasonic Viera TC-50PX24 Plasma TV, Dish Network VIP-722k DVR receiver, Sony PS3 (for movies), Nintendo Wii, Vizio VSB-200 Soundbar, Cambridge Soundworks 10” powered subwoofer and a Logitech Harmony One remote control . All connected components run to the back of Viera TC-50PX24 (with the exception of the sub which connects directly to the VSB-200). HDMI connected components include the Dish VIP-722k and Sony PS3. The Wii is connected through component RGB / RCA (audio). The Vizio VSB-200 is connected via Toslink (digital) cable. These are all basic connections and that’s about as easy as any home theater setup is going to get folks, REALLY!!
This system replaced my existing 5.1 home theater setup. Let me say I was more than a little nauseous thinking of not having my Yamaha receiver control everything, as I have grown accustom to that type of setup over the years. The fact that I’ve reduced the 5.1 setup to basically a 2.1 (really 1.1) setup is scary. The unit is very attractive and the setup itself is beautifully diminutive (aesthetically speaking). Obviously, I could have left the Yamaha in the equation but I wanted to streamline the setup and make it easy for the entire family. Total installation time for the Vizio VSB-200 was less than 10 minutes (more like 8). Ridiculously simple!! After un-boxing the Vizio VSB-200, I sat it in front of the Viera TC-50PX24 just to test the sound and connections. The VSB-200 is tall enough and did interfere with the IR signal of the remote to the Viera TC-50PX24. This is not where I planned for it to be anyway, I just wanted to convey that it may interfere if you plan to install yours in this manner. As far as my final installation goes (went), the VSB-200 was (is) installed in a fairly large family room. The dimensions are 14’ W x 25’ L x 10’ H. I mounted the VSB-200 approximately 2’ from the ceiling above the Viera TC-50PX24 and facing the 14’ wall. After reading the comments posted on this thread I have to agree that the audio is more dynamic from this arrangement than if it’s positioned in front or below the level of the TV. It seems that the more “space” this component has to operate in, the better. As previously mentioned, I have a Cambridge Soundworks 10” powered subwoofer connected to the VSB-200. Make no mistake, the sub is required with this bar; otherwise, the bar sounds more like a louder version of the speakers on your TV. The crossover is set at 103 for my sub. It appears that somewhere in the 100-105 range will be well received with any sub you pair with the VSB-200. This is only a guide for a starting point; your mileage may/will vary depending on the equipment you use.
SOUND. Has anyone realized that I haven’t mentioned how it sounded yet?? Well if you want to know how it sounds to someone else, just read the previous 10 pages of this thread and you’ll get a general idea. I take those comments for what they are (no offense). I didn’t pay anything for them and that’s about what they’re worth. With all due respect, how can someone tell ME how something sounds? I’d rather have them describe the color “blue” to me. Till I see it or here it (in this case), how will I ever know? I can tell you that the sound is very filling and spacious. It’s not so much the simulation of a surround system as it is a feeling of being engulfed or immersed in sound. It’s really quite nice. The sound from VSB-200 is big for its diminutive size comparably. Watching TOP GUN on blu-ray out of the PS3 was eerily reminiscent of being in the theater when it was released back in the 80’s (audibly speaking); I’m still not pleased with that DVD’s video transfer to widescreen. Nevertheless, I was quickly shuttered from video to the audio when “Highway to the Danger Zone” began to kick in. Really, to rate the sound I’d have to say it’s above good and below staggering. I have not been disappointed in the least by moving from what I had to what I’ve got. And I suppose that’s the greatest accolade you could give to this form factor.
Also, there seems to be some confusion about the “compatibility” of the VSB-200 with Panasonic TVs. I have had no problems at all. Mine has a manufactured date of July 2010. I can tell you that my Viera TC-50PX24 does NOT have a fixed PCM setting for audio out. If you are having troubles with sound, I’d say adjust the settings on the component itself as the TV will merely be a pass-through of that. You will want to remove the foam cover located underneath the right side of the soundbar. I don’t know how much it prevents IR signal but I wasn’t going to own this unit and constantly wonder if I should or shouldn’t. Remove it and forget about it. My Logitech Harmony One works very well with the VSB-200 and I have no issue to report. As for the TVOL (SRS TrueVolume sound Leveler) and TSHD (SRS TrueSurroundHD), I have TVOL-off and TSHD-on. This sounds best to ME, it may not to you. All things being equal, I am not an audio-philiac but I know what sounds “good” to me. You may or may not agree. It’s not my job to discern how something sounds for you, only to share my experience with the setup so that you get the most out of whatever you’re listening to.
Really my only negative about the VSB-200 would be the lack of a headphone jack. This to me is something I feel they overlooked. I have some Sennheiser wireless cans that I use when the little ones are in bed and I may have to put my Yamaha receiver back into the mix simply because of this issue. Otherwise, I truly enjoy the system and would rate it as “Highly Recommended”.
post #278 of 1019 Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM

This is my first post/reply, so go easy on me as I integrate myself into the forum. This review is for the Vizio VSB-200 Soundbar. After reading through this lengthy thread regarding the VSB-200, I felt compelled to share my experience as a recent owner. First, let me say thank you to all that have commented on the Vizio VSB-200. Some posts / posters obviously have greater insight and knowledge of the product and are able to articulately communicate that with everyone (i.e. drfreeman60, davyo). This really helped in making a decision for purchase.

The list of my components include: Panasonic Viera TC-50PX24 Plasma TV, Dish Network VIP-722k DVR receiver, Sony PS3 (for movies), Nintendo Wii, Vizio VSB-200 Soundbar, Cambridge Soundworks 10 powered subwoofer and a Logitech Harmony One remote control . All connected components run to the back of Viera TC-50PX24 (with the exception of the sub which connects directly to the VSB-200). HDMI connected components include the Dish VIP-722k and Sony PS3. The Wii is connected through component RGB / RCA (audio). The Vizio VSB-200 is connected via Toslink (digital) cable. These are all basic connections and that's about as easy as any home theater setup is going to get folks, REALLY!!

This system replaced my existing 5.1 home theater setup. Let me say I was more than a little nauseous thinking of not having my Yamaha receiver control everything, as I have grown accustom to that type of setup over the years. The fact that I've reduced the 5.1 setup to basically a 2.1 (really 1.1) setup is scary. The unit is very attractive and the setup itself is beautifully diminutive (aesthetically speaking). Obviously, I could have left the Yamaha in the equation but I wanted to streamline the setup and make it easy for the entire family. Total installation time for the Vizio VSB-200 was less than 10 minutes (more like 8). Ridiculously simple!! After un-boxing the Vizio VSB-200, I sat it in front of the Viera TC-50PX24 just to test the sound and connections. The VSB-200 is tall enough and did interfere with the IR signal of the remote to the Viera TC-50PX24. This is not where I planned for it to be anyway, I just wanted to convey that it may interfere if you plan to install yours in this manner. As far as my final installation goes (went), the VSB-200 was (is) installed in a fairly large family room. The dimensions are 14' W x 25' L x 10' H. I mounted the VSB-200 approximately 2' from the ceiling above the Viera TC-50PX24 and facing the 14' wall. After reading the comments posted on this thread I have to agree that the audio is more dynamic from this arrangement than if it's positioned in front or below the level of the TV. It seems that the more space this component has to operate in, the better. As previously mentioned, I have a Cambridge Soundworks 10 powered subwoofer connected to the VSB-200. Make no mistake, the sub is required with this bar; otherwise, the bar sounds more like a louder version of the speakers on your TV. The crossover is set at 103 for my sub. It appears that somewhere in the 100-105 range will be well received with any sub you pair with the VSB-200. This is only a guide for a starting point; your mileage may/will vary depending on the equipment you use.

SOUND. Has anyone realized that I haven't mentioned how it sounded yet?? Well if you want to know how it sounds to someone else, just read the previous 10 pages of this thread and you'll get a general idea. I take those comments for what they are (no offense). I didn't pay anything for them and that's about what they're worth. With all due respect, how can someone tell ME how something sounds? I'd rather have them describe the color blue to me. Till I see it or here it (in this case), how will I ever know? I can tell you that the sound is very filling and spacious. It's not so much the simulation of a surround system as it is a feeling of being engulfed or immersed in sound. It's really quite nice. The sound from VSB-200 is big for its diminutive size comparably. Watching TOP GUN on blu-ray out of the PS3 was eerily reminiscent of being in the theater when it was released back in the 80's (audibly speaking); I'm still not pleased with that DVD's video transfer to widescreen. Nevertheless, I was quickly shuttered from video to the audio when Highway to the Danger Zone began to kick in. Really, to rate the sound I'd have to say it's above good and below staggering. I have not been disappointed in the least by moving from what I had to what I've got. And I suppose that's the greatest accolade you could give to this form factor.

Also, there seems to be some confusion about the compatibility of the VSB-200 with Panasonic TVs. I have had no problems at all. Mine has a manufactured date of July 2010. I can tell you that my Viera TC-50PX24 does NOT have a fixed PCM setting for audio out. If you are having troubles with sound, I'd say adjust the settings on the component itself as the TV will merely be a pass-through of that. You will want to remove the foam cover located underneath the right side of the soundbar. I don't know how much it prevents IR signal but I wasn't going to own this unit and constantly wonder if I should or shouldn't. Remove it and forget about it. My Logitech Harmony One works very well with the VSB-200 and I have no issue to report. As for the TVOL (SRS TrueVolume sound Leveler) and TSHD (SRS TrueSurroundHD), I have TVOL-off and TSHD-on. This sounds best to ME, it may not to you. All things being equal, I am not an audio-philiac but I know what sounds good to me. You may or may not agree. It's not my job to discern how something sounds for you, only to share my experience with the setup so that you get the most out of whatever you're listening to.

Really my only negative about the VSB-200 would be the lack of a headphone jack. This to me is something I feel they overlooked. I have some Sennheiser wireless cans that I use when the little ones are in bed and I may have to put my Yamaha receiver back into the mix simply because of this issue. Otherwise, I truly enjoy the system and would rate it as Highly Recommended.
post #279 of 1019 Old 08-25-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
tnvolfan

Glad you are experiencing good things with the Vizio. Like you say, extremely good sound for next to nothing cost and setup that almost anyone can perform.

I am still enjoying my Vizio with Yamaha sub. I did an experiment last weekend with my Boston Acoustics sub. This is a real sub and not just a woofer as is my Yamaha. The BA has a 250 watt amplifier (RMS so this is real power not the imagined power of most home theater components), 12" woofer in a ported enclosure weighing about 65 pounds. Adjustable crossover and input to make speaker matching easy. With my music speakers (Infinity Beta 50's from 2001), I crossover at about 60hz and the sub adds just what you need to fill in the lowest octave of music.

Anyway, for any of you that do have a real sub out there and were considering matching it with the Vizio or any other small speaker system, I hope your experience is better than mine. With the BA sub, the Vizio sounded thin and veiled instead of the nice full dynamic sound with the Yamaha. The Yamaha sub was designed to work specifically with their sound projectors and does not offer an adjustable crossover. Based on tone tests, it sounds like it has full output up to about 180hz which brings it into the upper level of the bass octaves. The BA has a max crossover of 120hz and even at that, there was definitely a whole in the mid-bass.

What I can't figure out is why the Vizio sounds okay (to my ears) even without a sub. After my much better half said the setup with the BA sounded horrible, I quickly placed the Yamaha back in service. I think my goal was to see if the Vizio sounded decent with CD's and use the Vizio for background music in the family room. The answer was NO. At least with the big sub. So we will continue to set in the sun room and listen to the dedicated audio system for a while.

I am close to ordering the JVC BA1 that Davey has raved about recently. One of the intriguing things is that almost all reviewers have commented how well the JVC sounds with music. When and if I make the purchase, I will add my comments to Davey's most excellent reviews.

David Freeman
post #280 of 1019 Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 PM

drfreeman60

Thank you for the well wishes regarding the VSB-200. I'm sorry to hear that you had "issues" with the BA sub. It seems like you could have dialed it in but (like you stated) that sub might be a bit robust for the Vizio. I spoke with the folks at Vizio prior to making my purchase a few weeks ago to gain some knowledge prior to my installation with my existing equipment. They weren't real helpful with the sub settings but they gave me a baseline where I could tweak from there. They did also say that a 5-6" sub was recommended. My sub is a Cambridge 10" and I needed at least that for my room dimensions; also, it seems to lend the level of bass I'm accustom to with my previous 5.1 setup without ruining the spaciousness of the Vizio. That's why I wrote my long winded piece to hopefully share my results with people who might be looking to add the VSB-200 to their existing equipment.

I didn't notice you mention anything about a receiver. Are you using a receiver with the VSB-200 or are you running the audio through the TV? If you are using a receiver, it seems that you would be able to control the depth of that BA sub without destroying the tones from the Vizio. I find it odd that you like the way it sounds without a sub. I did try that experience myself but it sounded much like my plasma speakers only Louder and with very little "oomph". Especially when watching movies. The Vizio still filled the room but it just felt like something was "missing". It just won't deliver the depth of sound I'm obviously accustom to.

BTW, are you using a pair of headphones? If so, how are you handling that situation?
post #281 of 1019 Old 08-25-2010, 05:47 PM

I was browsing through Walmart a couple of days ago and spotted the vsb200 on sale for ninety-eight bucks. I wasn't seriously in the market for speakers, but figured at that price I couldn't go too far wrong.

I brought the unit home, plugged it in and it produced far better sound than what passes for speakers in my Sony TV. However, last night the indicator lights stopped working. I sent off an email to Vizio customer support and received a reply that I should call their 888 number. I did that this morning and they said that they could either schedule something or other or I could just return it to Walmart, which I did this morning. After looking around at the other units in stock, I decided to just pick up another vsb200. Once again, it was easy to hook up (always easier the second time, right?) and it sounded very good for a unit in this price range.

So to sum up, the vsb200 meets my needs nicely. We're apartment dwellers and I don't need something that will rattle the walls of my neighbors.

I do have one question: How can you tell whether the sound leveler and simulated surround sound functions are toggled on, other than to use your perception of what's coming out of the speakers? I think I have it properly set, but is there any way to know for sure?
post #282 of 1019 Old 08-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlCreekObserver View Post

How can you tell whether the sound leveler and simulated surround sound functions are toggled on, other than to use your perception of what's coming out of the speakers? I think I have it properly set, but is there any way to know for sure?

Congrats on your purchase and hopefully the second one works out well for you. To answer your question regarding ability to tell when TVOL and TSHD are on; there are two lights on the far right hand side of the unit. They light up when you press either of the buttons (TVOL or TSHD). Press the one you want ON/OFF and then press it until you get the desired setting. If the light is ON the corresponding effect is ON. If light is OFF the corresponding effect is OFF.

One thing you should do is remove the front cover and remove the foam that covers the lights and IR (infra-red) receiver. The front cover seems a bit difficult to remove, but it pulls straight off. Vizio put some sort of adhesive to keep it in place. This serves two purposes. One, you can see the lights much clearer. Two, the remote (allegedly) works better and from a further distance.

Hope that helps....
post #283 of 1019 Old 08-25-2010, 07:07 PM

Thanks much. I presume that two lights means the function is turned on and one light means that it's turned off, right?
post #284 of 1019 Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlCreekObserver View Post

Thanks much. I presume that two lights means the function is turned on and one light means that it's turned off, right?

No. The two lights represent each of the functions. Since the lights are side by side you'll need to pay moderate attention to what they are telling you. The light on the left represents the TVOL. The light on the right represents the TSHD. If you toggle (press) them, you will see what I'm talking about. Good luck with them. Just fyi, I have TVOL-OFF and TSHD-ON.
post #285 of 1019 Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 PM

I picked one up at Costco today for $90, and it's going to meet my needs completely - much better sound than the speakers in my Sony 46V5100, but not so loud and complicated that my wife will get cranky. I just ordered a cheap digital audio cable for this - will this provide noticeably better sound than the analog connection?

I did find a remote code - if you have a recent version of the Atlas DVR remote used by Time Warner (among others), try 1517. I haven't tried all the operations yet, but that code allows the remote to control the power and volume.

Interestingly, an older version of that remote would not accept the code.
post #286 of 1019 Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapecar View Post

I picked one up at Costco today for $90, and it's going to meet my needs completely - much better sound than the speakers in my Sony 46V5100, but not so loud and complicated that my wife will get cranky. I just ordered a cheap digital audio cable for this - will this provide noticeably better sound than the analog connection?

I did find a remote code - if you have a recent version of the Atlas DVR remote used by Time Warner (among others), try 1517. I haven't tried all the operations yet, but that code allows the remote to control the power and volume.

Interestingly, an older version of that remote would not accept the code.

I tried using the optical output with my Sony LCD TV and it wouldn't work. I just use the standard analog cables and it sounds really fine - not sure at this (quality) level that optical would really help much?
post #287 of 1019 Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStem View Post

I tried using the optical output with my Sony LCD TV and it wouldn't work. I just use the standard analog cables and it sounds really fine - not sure at this (quality) level that optical would really help much?

I have tried both optical and analog with my wife and son listening also as their hearing is better than mine. None of us could consistently find anything significant to latch on to hearin wise to tell us which we were listening to. For me it boils down to which do you have and which is easier to work with. No sonic difference.

David Freeman
post #288 of 1019 Old 09-01-2010, 02:16 PM

I have a Bose 5.1 system, recently purchased a VSB200 have it connected to the Bose system using normal hook-up. Everthing works good and sounds great. When finish watching tv all systems are powered down TV,Sat.Box. Stero reciever. The VSB is still plugged into the surge protector outlet. No lights are on in the room some time later hours, the VSB will get static coming across the speaker (loud) the only way to stop the noise is to disconnect the rcs jacks into the VSB speaker. After this all systems will be operating normally including the VSB200 speaker. Pls give me a clue why the static noise is happening.

PS. The reason for purchasing the VSB200 lost one of the cubes on the Bose system
post #289 of 1019 Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds as if your speaker is picking up RF from some source. This could be internal or associated with the RCA cable. Try a different RCA cable, if that doesn't solve the problem, then it is probably the speakers themselves.

One other fix may be to try a cheater plug, the kind that allows a three pronged grounded AC plug to be plugged into an old fashioned two prong outlet. Many times this can get rid of or prevent unwanted electrical noise. This used to be a popular fix for vacum tube electronics back in the day. May still be done with vacum tube stuff as I know there is still a market for those out there.

I encountered a similar problem with a pair of DCM time windows back in the 1980's. Occasionally, they would pick up CB radio transmissions. This was with all of my audio equipment off. Somehow, the speakers or wiring or crossover was acting as an RF receiver for those spurious transmissions. Thank goodness CB radios have mostly disappeared.

David Freeman
post #290 of 1019 Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone give me an idea of some of the physical dimensions of this bar? I have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old, so I can't have anything sitting BELOW the TV for them to grab. I was hoping I could somehow set it on TOP of my Panny 42" Plasma. It has a fairly wide, flat top that I may be able to use for that purpose. I'd like to be able to mount it in some way at a minimal cost and effort.
post #291 of 1019 Old 09-03-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Can anyone give me an idea of some of the physical dimensions of this bar? I have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old, so I can't have anything sitting BELOW the TV for them to grab. I was hoping I could somehow set it on TOP of my Panny 42" Plasma. It has a fairly wide, flat top that I may be able to use for that purpose. I'd like to be able to mount it in some way at a minimal cost and effort.

I am at work so I do not have the ability to measure mine right now. Am sure if you surfed to the Vizio Web site you could pull up the specs easy enough. But here is an idea to consider: don't blow off the idea of wall-mounting the soundbar.

I saw where someone mentioned doing this and thought it would look terrible. Glad I re-considered! The unit ships with dual-purpose stands; turn them one way to sit on the TV stand, and reverse them to wall mount. I admit to taking a crazy amount of time measuring as I wanted the soundbar directly above, and centered on, my 46" TV. The effort paid off, it looks and sounds terrific! One final touch to touch up the cable(s) coming down the wall is to go to Radio Shack and buy some small-diameter cable wrap. It is a flexible, corrugated plastic tube with a slit in it. Even my wife admits it looks "professional" in appearance.

You will be amazed how good the sound is even when mounted on top of the TV. I would not have believed it myself. Give it some thought and report back...
post #292 of 1019 Old 09-03-2010, 07:02 AM

How about Vizio.com?????
post #293 of 1019 Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Well, what I mean is I don't need exact measurements, but more an idea from people who actually have the bar regarding options to mount it.

Wall-mounting it is kind of out of the question, as the TV is actually in an entertainment center. Given what you said about the stand, maybe I'll be able to set it on top of the TV easily.
post #294 of 1019 Old 09-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:

maybe I'll be able to set it on top of the TV easily.

I don't think that would work very well. The footers for the bar are fairly wide (front to rear) and on underneath the footer they have rubber to prevent movement on a surface. I suspect you would have a "pitch" (front-rear teeter) if you tried to mount it atop your plasma. You would need a surface depth of @ least 2 1/2-3" to securely mount it.

If possible, mount it on top of the entertainment center or to the entertainment center itself (akin to a wall-mount). That is what I would suggest....I have mine mounted on the wall above my entertainment center approx 2' from the ceiling!!
post #295 of 1019 Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

I thought I saw something about using Velcro to secure a soundbar to the top of the TV? I might also be able to put it on top of the entertainment center, though I hope it has a long power cord, as it's pretty tall.
post #296 of 1019 Old 09-03-2010, 01:58 PM

The very very very very rough dimensions of the VSB200 are 40x5x5 inches, and the feet are about 3 1/2 inches deep. (It's actually an oblong rounded shape, but that's too much measuring and math for a Friday.)

If you have faith in the strength of Velcro, you might be able to attach it to the top of your TV, if the top if completely flat. But depending on the sturdiness of the stand on your TV, I might be concerned about putting that much weight on top of the set.
post #297 of 1019 Old 09-03-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvolfan View Post

drfreeman60

Thank you for the well wishes regarding the VSB-200. I'm sorry to hear that you had "issues" with the BA sub. It seems like you could have dialed it in but (like you stated) that sub might be a bit robust for the Vizio. I spoke with the folks at Vizio prior to making my purchase a few weeks ago to gain some knowledge prior to my installation with my existing equipment. They weren't real helpful with the sub settings but they gave me a baseline where I could tweak from there. They did also say that a 5-6" sub was recommended. My sub is a Cambridge 10" and I needed at least that for my room dimensions; also, it seems to lend the level of bass I'm accustom to with my previous 5.1 setup without ruining the spaciousness of the Vizio. That's why I wrote my long winded piece to hopefully share my results with people who might be looking to add the VSB-200 to their existing equipment.

I didn't notice you mention anything about a receiver. Are you using a receiver with the VSB-200 or are you running the audio through the TV? If you are using a receiver, it seems that you would be able to control the depth of that BA sub without destroying the tones from the Vizio. I find it odd that you like the way it sounds without a sub. I did try that experience myself but it sounded much like my plasma speakers only Louder and with very little "oomph". Especially when watching movies. The Vizio still filled the room but it just felt like something was "missing". It just won't deliver the depth of sound I'm obviously accustom to.

BTW, are you using a pair of headphones? If so, how are you handling that situation?

The problem with the Vizio and the BA sub was the BA was designed as a true sub-woofer to be used with full-range speakers. This was purchased in the mid-1990's to replace a pair of Janis subs (some of the best ever built) and a sixty pound amplifier and electronic crossover to send the correct signals to the amp for the full range speakers and the amp for the subs. That was really a far more accurate and believable system, but due to remodeling and the size of the Janis subs, they were not going to work in the redone family room. Thus the BA with built-in ampliciation and a much smaller footprint. You could hide the BA behind a chair. You could not hide the Janis's anywhere as they were about 30" tall and 25" wide and deep and weighed about 100# each. Those were serious units.

Anyway the BA has a 12" driver that can handle frequencies up to 90hz or maybe 100hz without problems. Even with their internal crossover set to 120hz, the sound is down by at least 6db to 8db at the frequency. The Vizio soundbar starts to rolloff the bass at about 170-180hz at 12db per octave which leave at least a big part of the mid to upper bass unaccounted for, thus the sound was thin even though the sub goes down to about 24hz. I come from the old school that believe that sub-woofers were designed to extend the bass frequencies but should maintain the overall balance of the primary system. With my full range Infinity tower speakers, this works perfectly. The Infinity's begin to roll off at about 42hz, just before the lowest octave of bass. I have the crossover set at 65hz for both and the transition is seamless. It was just a lark to see how the big sub sounded with the AV system. At our old home, we had been listening to broadcast, laserdisc (1978), VHS (1979), CED (1981), DVD (1998) since 1977 with a variety of wonderful full-range speakers from Dahlquist, Quad, DCM and Vandersteen before discovering the Infinities.

With each soundbar that I have owned, except the Sony whose electronics were in the sub-woofer, I would spend about a week listening to only the soundbar before running some basic accoustic tests on it. Typically, when you first listen to only the soundbar, you think, that's not that much better than the crappy built-in speakers that came with the TV. But after about a week, if you switch back to TV speakers, they sound tinny, thin, even worse than you remembered. Anyway, with a little break in and doing some testing for basic frequency response and resonances, I am ready to add the sub. With the Vizio, I use the sub originally purchased for my Yamaha YSP several years ago. They mate perfectly with a major adjustment in output for the Yamaha. Amazing how efficient the Vizio is.

I never dreamed of driving the Vizio with a receiver as I never use any of the tone or balance controls from my receivers or pre-amps (if they even have any). In theory, the amps that come with a powered soundbar should be contoured for the speakers frequency response, efficiency and Q of the speaker and cabinet. If done correctly, you should get better sound from the soundbar using internal, dedicated amplification as opposed to connecting to high-end audio components.

Anyway, hope I have not bored the audience too much. I see that Amazon shipped my new soundbar today and should be delivered Tuesday. But I will be working on the Gulf Coast until the following week so will have to wait to see how well it sounds. JVC-TH-BA1. From those that have tried it, they say it may be the best out there. For 250 with six mo. no interest financing from Amazon, it is a heck of a a deal. And if it doesn't live up to expectations, it is easy to return.

Now what am I going to do with the Vizio and the Yamaha sub if I really do like the JVC. Life is full of choice.

David Freeman
post #298 of 1019 Old 09-03-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

The problem with the Vizio and the BA sub was the BA was designed as a true sub-woofer to be used with full-range speakers.

Anyway, hope I have not bored the audience too much.

JVC-TH-BA1. From those that have tried it, they say it may be the best out there. For 250 with six mo. no interest financing from Amazon, it is a heck of a a deal. And if it doesn't live up to expectations, it is easy to return.

Now what am I going to do with the Vizio and the Yamaha sub if I really do like the JVC. Life is full of choice.

drfreeman60,

Sounds like you've tried really had to incorporate that BA into your system. Sorry you weren't able to find the appropriate balance for it. I'm sure that since it was designed for a totally different implementation, therein lies the solution.

Do you use headphones at all? What is the best way (other than hooking up a receiver) to use headphones with this setup? My TV does NOT have another output on it.
post #299 of 1019 Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:

I thought I saw something about using Velcro to secure a soundbar to the top of the TV? I might also be able to put it on top of the entertainment center, though I hope it has a long power cord, as it's pretty tall.

My LCDTV is 2 1/2 in. wide and my vsb200 sits on top of the tv secured with velcro with no problems ( thanks to this forum). I don't move it much, if at at all. I have been watching for vibration issues with kids running around near the tv and have noticed no problems. However, if I had a mounting location on an ent. ctr., I would use that instead of velcro. Also, power cord length can be solved with a simple extension cord.
post #300 of 1019 Old 09-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Just picked this sound bar (SB). I want to be able to use it for audio for my DVR, DVD and Wii. I was planning on hooking up the SB to my AVR. It says in the manual you can do this by hooking toslink cable out of AVR and hooking it up to the SB. So is the next step hooking up audio inputs from the DVR, DVD and Wii to the AVR. If so which volume control will I be using the one on the AVR or the SB. Do I even need to use the AVR. As some pointed out early should I just hook the video outputs of the DVR, DVD and Wii to the TV and if so do you just change the inputs on the SB to select the audio for the DVR, DVD, TV or Wii?

Thanks for your help.
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page