Vizio VSB200 Soundbar - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1019 Old 12-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Little update here, I enjoy this soundbar using its trusurround ON and truvolume OFF, truvolume seems to expand the sound in an unrealistic way.
The bad part is...my TV when set to A/V receiver mode is a fixed output through RCA.... and Ive discovered this bar doesnt get very loud at all...unless I turn on truvolume.
My TV outputs variable mode when set to headphones on its RCA output, but Im afraid the TV might be gimping the signal for headphones as well, so thats not an option.

So....I may end up getting the BA1 after all, because of this limitation. But, Im gonna test it further...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1019 Old 12-04-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
Little update here, I enjoy this soundbar using its trusurround ON and truvolume OFF, truvolume seems to expand the sound in an unrealistic way.
The bad part is...my TV when set to A/V receiver mode is a fixed output through RCA.... and Ive discovered this bar doesnt get very loud at all...unless I turn on truvolume.
My TV outputs variable mode when set to headphones on its RCA output, but Im afraid the TV might be gimping the signal for headphones as well, so thats not an option.

So....I may end up getting the BA1 after all, because of this limitation. But, Im gonna test it further...
I've never had a problem with volume. What is A/V receiver mode? Can you just try an optical cable? I used this soundbar initially through the headphone output and it sounded fine. Currently using optical just cause the cable was inexpensive. For me the only difference between optical and headphone jack was tone control. The optical signal bypassed all tone control from my tv.
post #363 of 1019 Old 12-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guammer View Post

I've never had a problem with volume. What is A/V receiver mode? Can you just try an optical cable? I used this soundbar initially through the headphone output and it sounded fine. Currently using optical just cause the cable was inexpensive. For me the only difference between optical and headphone jack was tone control. The optical signal bypassed all tone control from my tv.

My TV outputs non adjustable audio through optical too, so situation wouldnt be any different =/
post #364 of 1019 Old 12-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:

My TV outputs non adjustable audio through optical too, so situation wouldnt be any different =/

Well, I can tell you that I would get the JVC in a heartbeat if my Vizio crapped out on me. I think there's issues with Vizio w/wireless sub model so I would go with JVC.
Laters
post #365 of 1019 Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM

I use my Directv HD receiver remote to controll Satelite, Vizio Soundbar, Samsung Blu Ray plaer and Vizio TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Timely I found this thread....

I recently bought a 37" Vizio for the bedroom VIZIO's M370NV 37 LED LCD HDTV and a Vizio Blu-ray player as well Vizio VBR231 Blu-ray

I was at Costco last night and saw this sound bar for $89, for a bedroom how could I pass that up?
The std speakers in the Vizio HDTV just point down and sounds muffled.
No, I'm not expecting 5.1 or 7.1 in the bedroom from this, I have 5.1 in the family room and 7.1 in basement HT (link in my sig).

What I'm curious is will my Vizio TV remote, which does a decent job handling both TV and Blu-ray, also handle this powered soundbar??

Does anybody know if Vizio HDTV remote can handle the soundbar?

I'd like to NOT get another remote, not even the Vizio "universal" $25 one shown below - seen for $18 at Wallymarts.
http://www.vizio.com/accessories.html

post #366 of 1019 Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:

So, I understand you love the bar for music, what do you feel about its trusurround effect when watching movies?
I have watched one movie on it, live free or die hard, and I have to say I was extremely impressed.
I want to know honestly, would you feel I would be picking the vizio bar + a sub over the BA1, .. considering the vizio + sub would be less expensive by about 60$

Another thing I just thought about, that I like with the vizio, is I only gotta run one set of RCA's to it from my TV and all my other stuff just goes into TV, so I dont have to deal with switching inputs at all or anything w/ vizio.

Whereas I know I have more options on the BA1, yadda yadda, but I would have to deal with different inputs and crazy stuff .. which my wife would not like as much lol!

I just want to know, whether you think it would just be the "cheap" way out vs going w/ BA1 setup.

Also, your yamaha sub, whats it freq response? I am concerned about pairing a sub up w/ the bar ... well if I get a sub that only is like 30-200hz(most seperate subs are that) response, do you think I will have a major audio gap w/ the bar?
Or do you think its fine?

I was more or less unimpressed with TruSurround. Tried it a little at first and decided it added a veil to the sound and turned it off. Tried again about ten months later and did not hear what I had initially objected to and decided it was usable in some cases.

I feel the BA1 overall is a much better system than the Vizio with Yamaha sub. Feel the same based on impressions at other homes with the complete Vizio system with matching sub. The Vizio still sounds good, but the BA1 brings out detail totall missing from the BA1. This could be additional sounds from the discrete 5.1 channel decoding.

A subwoofer that extends to 180-200hz is exactly what you need to match the Vizio. The Vizio starts a gradual low frequency roll-off at about 160-170hz so this would be a good match.

I have not heard an inexpensive sub that could actually reproduce sounds below 40-45hz audibly so take whatever low figure you see on these devices to be the figment of the spec writers imagination. I have also heard very few of this type of sub that produced very much above 130-150hz. This is the shortcoming of many inexpensive soundbars and HTIB's as depending on the primary drivers, you may be missing some amount of mid to upper bass, which is way more important than the lowest octave. This can either lead to a device that seems lacking in mid-range or any sonic oomph. My Yamaha (about $300 in 2006 when new) did mate nicely with the VSB200. My Boston Accoustics (a true sub with lows down to 22hz and about $800 in 1995) did not mate well at all. Sounded horrible. My Inifinity loudspeakers have more bass output (42hz cutoff) than the Yamaha sub. The whole thing with speakers and subs is to attempt to match them correctly and also match your room accoustics. With only one sub, the closer to the primary speaker(s) the better. Some work better close to a wall, some work better 12-18" out from the wall and all sorts of variations in between.

David Freeman
post #367 of 1019 Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

I was more or less unimpressed with TruSurround. Tried it a little at first and decided it added a veil to the sound and turned it off. Tried again about ten months later and did not hear what I had initially objected to and decided it was usable in some cases.

I feel the BA1 overall is a much better system than the Vizio with Yamaha sub. Feel the same based on impressions at other homes with the complete Vizio system with matching sub. The Vizio still sounds good, but the BA1 brings out detail totall missing from the BA1. This could be additional sounds from the discrete 5.1 channel decoding.

A subwoofer that extends to 180-200hz is exactly what you need to match the Vizio. The Vizio starts a gradual low frequency roll-off at about 160-170hz so this would be a good match.

I have not heard an inexpensive sub that could actually reproduce sounds below 40-45hz audibly so take whatever low figure you see on these devices to be the figment of the spec writers imagination. I have also heard very few of this type of sub that produced very much above 130-150hz. This is the shortcoming of many inexpensive soundbars and HTIB's as depending on the primary drivers, you may be missing some amount of mid to upper bass, which is way more important than the lowest octave. This can either lead to a device that seems lacking in mid-range or any sonic oomph. My Yamaha (about $300 in 2006 when new) did mate nicely with the VSB200. My Boston Accoustics (a true sub with lows down to 22hz and about $800 in 1995) did not mate well at all. Sounded horrible. My Inifinity loudspeakers have more bass output (42hz cutoff) than the Yamaha sub. The whole thing with speakers and subs is to attempt to match them correctly and also match your room accoustics. With only one sub, the closer to the primary speaker(s) the better. Some work better close to a wall, some work better 12-18" out from the wall and all sorts of variations in between.

Awesome, thanks for that reply =)
I am quite puzzled from the response I just got on my question I sent into tech support or chatted with them and he said he had to get back to me about the subout jack...but this was his response regarding this soundbar:

Sorry about the delay, the bar is 80-20KHz and the sub out is 35-80Hz so the sub is crossed over at 80Hz.

William

-------

So, it seems getting a sub capable of any frequencies above 80hz...would be useless?
Whats your experience w/ the subout , does it seem to only go up that high?
post #368 of 1019 Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome, thanks for that reply =)
I am quite puzzled from the response I just got on my question I sent into tech support or chatted with them and he said he had to get back to me about the subout jack...but this was his response regarding this soundbar:

Sorry about the delay, the bar is 80-20KHz and the sub out is 35-80Hz so the sub is crossed over at 80Hz.

William

-------

So, it seems getting a sub capable of any frequencies above 80hz...would be useless?
Whats your experience w/ the subout , does it seem to only go up that high?

The guy is obviously reading from the official specs. First off, you don't have a variable crossover with the VSB200. I believe it is fixed in the area of 200hz, but I could be wrong and this could be a full range output. To test this I would need a full range speaker and would need to feed the output to a receiver connected to a DVD player for test tones far enough away from the soundbar to take actual readings. For my $98 soundbar, this is not worth it.

I can say this, the soundbar may be rated to 80hz, but that would be 80hz at a very quiet listening level and then the frequency response would be at least 10db down from the rest of the sound level. This would make that frequency all but inaudible. I believe the 3db cutoff point, the normal measurement taken for most audio equipment is between about 125-150hz. This is not bad as this places it in excellent company. The famous Rogers LS35A studio monitor cut off at 120hz and I never heard a recording engineer complain due to lack of bass.

If you find a sub that has a high frequency cut-off above 150hz, as most of the less expensive models do, it should work fine as long as it has an output (volume) adjustment.

David Freeman
post #369 of 1019 Old 12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The Vizio soundbar is quite efficient. This means it will play quite loudly with very litte power. I had to increase the output dramatically for my Yamaha sub when changing it from the Yamaha YSP to the Vizio.

David Freeman
post #370 of 1019 Old 12-07-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

The guy is obviously reading from the official specs. First off, you don't have a variable crossover with the VSB200. I believe it is fixed in the area of 200hz, but I could be wrong and this could be a full range output. To test this I would need a full range speaker and would need to feed the output to a receiver connected to a DVD player for test tones far enough away from the soundbar to take actual readings. For my $98 soundbar, this is not worth it.

I can say this, the soundbar may be rated to 80hz, but that would be 80hz at a very quiet listening level and then the frequency response would be at least 10db down from the rest of the sound level. This would make that frequency all but inaudible. I believe the 3db cutoff point, the normal measurement taken for most audio equipment is between about 125-150hz. This is not bad as this places it in excellent company. The famous Rogers LS35A studio monitor cut off at 120hz and I never heard a recording engineer complain due to lack of bass.

If you find a sub that has a high frequency cut-off above 150hz, as most of the less expensive models do, it should work fine as long as it has an output (volume) adjustment.

Cool thanks for the reply, yeah I wish there was an easy way to test the line out for sub to see if its full range or not. The reason Ive been wanting to know this is, in the sub forum...they recommended checking out the Final S95 sub, its a 200$ sub thats being sold for 89$ right now...and its designed to go w/ a home theatre setup, ... It doesnt have a crossover built into it, it relies on the receiver for that. But everyone in that forum says its probably the best 100$ sub that can be bought right now.

Its freq response is like 40hz to 200hz, but they said ... if I feed it full range, the driver would try to play everything and .. possibly sound horrible. =/

I dont know what to do...grr maybe Ill just get the JVC BA1 ..
post #371 of 1019 Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 AM

So, a little update here...I have to say this soundbar continues to grow on me...
I watched the first chronicles of narnia last night and it was FREAKING AMAZING.
I was blown away by the amount of voice clarity, and even dynamics. It wasnt that voices were just more understandable but they had RANGE to them. I was thinking some parts were to quiet, but then I thought..

They are talking quietly and whispering...of course it would be quieter. When aslan spoke it was loud and clear when he roared...all I can say is WOW this bar captured it awesomely.

I am also surprised in its low end capabilities...I could actually make out vibrations and feel thuds of a low / midrange...I was like WHAT?!?!? lol

The sound detail during the battle scenes was so awesome and the musical score was so crisp and clear and sounded wonderful.

So, this is one heck of a bar IMO =)
Cant believe 20watt speakers are capable of this type of output.
post #372 of 1019 Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Ignore the wattage figures. These are only the figment of some spec writers imagination. Unless you are purchasing real audio equipment, the published specs for soundbars and HTIB's is laughable.

I have seen numerous posters trying to determine if component A is superior to component B because A has 50 watts and B only has 45 watts.

The sound and efficiency of the unit are determined by how the pieces work together. Good design costs little or no more than crap design. Vizio either did good design on the 200 or just got dang lucky.

As to the sub from your other post, don't let a full range signal to a device incapable of producing sound above 200hz worry you. Even if the sub has no crossover, assuming that it is a powered unit, the amplifier was probably not designed to go above 260-300hz (middle C) and any of the extra frequencies that could cause harmonic or IM distortion will not be present at the transducer.

David Freeman
post #373 of 1019 Old 12-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Cool, yeah these must be generating more power or something. But either way, at this point the best word I can use to describe the sound quality of this bar is....EVERYTHING in narnia I watched last night, sounded freaking REAL! missing bass of course, but still..low mids to highs, all sounds / instruments / effects...all sounded like they were really happening in front of me, at at times around me.

Im almost tempted to just get this and some random sub lol, over the JVC BA1, I fear I might not like the BA1 ~ for some reason... Even though it has way more flexibility as far as tuning sound...but still...

Ive never heard anything sound this good out of a box and not needing tweakability...like EVER!
post #374 of 1019 Old 12-11-2010, 10:16 PM

So I just bought a 46" Samsung LED last week, and just bought the VSB200 soundbar today. I'm not very knowledgeable about setting it up and I was really hoping someone was able to help me out. I really really need someone's help. Please help me. Thank you!
post #375 of 1019 Old 12-18-2010, 08:30 AM

Liked: 12
Its been a year and a half since I bought my VSB200 and I continue to be impressed. I bought brackets to mount it atop my 47" Vizio TV and set it up in the corner. Originally, I doubted its SRS capabilities, but after locating a couple of sweet spots in the room, I find I can hear fx and music all around me. In fact, tones and sounds seem to float magically in the accoustic space. I am never not pleased with the results -- sometimes, you just have to use the double negative.
post #376 of 1019 Old 12-18-2010, 01:44 PM

JRG3, what brackets did you use to mount it on top of your TV? I have a 42" Vizio M420VT and would love to mount this on top. I was considering screwing some L-brackets in the top of my entertainment center but something that would not require putting holes in the wood would be much nicer.

Also, I'm trying to find the codes to get my AT&T U-verse remote to control the VSB200. It looks like this was brought up earlier in this thread but nobody reported finding the correct codes.
post #377 of 1019 Old 12-18-2010, 04:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayostard View Post

JRG3, what brackets did you use to mount it on top of your TV?

http://soundbarbrackets.com/
post #378 of 1019 Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG3 View Post

http://soundbarbrackets.com/

Interesting. Are there any other similar products?
post #379 of 1019 Old 12-20-2010, 02:21 PM

Hello. I'm new to this thread and don't have time to sift through all 13 pages so I apologize for any redundancy in my question.

I am contemplating the purchase of a soundbar as most to improve the sound of my 52" Sony Bravia LCD. I was looking in Costco at the Vizio VSB200 ($89) then saw the Vizio VHT510 5.1 Surround with wireless sub and rear satelites reduced to $299. I'm seeing that these systems are really entirely different but nontheless was wondering if it is really $210 better for the latter system?

It will be in a room about 20' deep from the TV to sofa and about 15' wide with one side opening to kitchen half way back.

Any feedback would be helpful - thanks!
post #380 of 1019 Old 12-20-2010, 02:37 PM

I just spent an hour on the phone with AT&T about trying to get their remote control to work with the VSB200. Apparently vizio has not sent the "control data" for the VSB200 to AT&T (or, more exactly, I would guess, cisco, since cisco makes the box).

In the meantime, the AT&T L2 tech suggested that the vizio m420nv that I have the VSB200 hooked to (via optical cable) should be able to control the volume on the VSB200 directly.

In other words, if I up the volume on the TV, it should result in louder noise from the soundbar. This is not what is happening in reality, though, and I honestly don't think it's even possible with just an optical link, is it?

Currently I have the m420nv internal speakers turned off completely. The volume controls still "work" however, in that if I push the volume button up the on-screen display shows the volume increasing, though the speakers remain deactivated and the sound I hear from the soundbar remains unchanged.
post #381 of 1019 Old 12-23-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayostard View Post

I just spent an hour on the phone with AT&T about trying to get their remote control to work with the VSB200. Apparently vizio has not sent the "control data" for the VSB200 to AT&T (or, more exactly, I would guess, cisco, since cisco makes the box).

In the meantime, the AT&T L2 tech suggested that the vizio m420nv that I have the VSB200 hooked to (via optical cable) should be able to control the volume on the VSB200 directly.

In other words, if I up the volume on the TV, it should result in louder noise from the soundbar. This is not what is happening in reality, though, and I honestly don't think it's even possible with just an optical link, is it?

Currently I have the m420nv internal speakers turned off completely. The volume controls still "work" however, in that if I push the volume button up the on-screen display shows the volume increasing, though the speakers remain deactivated and the sound I hear from the soundbar remains unchanged.

Look here, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=360 , your situtation is same as mine, and I now use the TV speaker volume to control the Vizio sound bar sound output.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #382 of 1019 Old 12-25-2010, 09:59 AM

Let me check to see if I have this right. If I hook my Vizio sound bar to my TV via optical cable and my xbox 360 and PS3 are hooked up to my TV via HDMI will everything play through this soundbar?

Seems like it would but I'm never 100% of this stuff.
post #383 of 1019 Old 12-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZForce915 View Post

Let me check to see if I have this right. If I hook my Vizio sound bar to my TV via optical cable and my xbox 360 and PS3 are hooked up to my TV via HDMI will everything play through this soundbar?

Seems like it would but I'm never 100% of this stuff.

Yes. That would be correct. I am loving this soundbar. It is absolutely fantastic!
post #384 of 1019 Old 12-26-2010, 08:22 PM

Yes you can also hook your Iphone or Ipod up to it too. I'm running a Sub with the Soundbar and it sounds great.
post #385 of 1019 Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadolfan View Post

Yes you can also hook your Iphone or Ipod up to it too. I'm running a Sub with the Soundbar and it sounds great.

which sub?
post #386 of 1019 Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:

which sub?

A cheap Sony powered sub.
post #387 of 1019 Old 12-28-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadolfan View Post
A cheap Sony powered sub.
Is it the 100$ WA2500 sub?
post #388 of 1019 Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Is it the 100$ WA2500 sub?

It wasn't that one. That one looks like it replaced the one I got at Best Buy a few years ago.

It was the SA-WM200

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-inch-Sony-Powe...item2eb2402edc

I think it sounds good. I'm going to pick up a Vizio soundbar for my mom. I'm not sure if I will get the one that comes with a sub. I haven't compared the Vizio sub that comes with the Vizio soundbar with other subs such as the Sony WA2500.
post #389 of 1019 Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Look here, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=360 , your situtation is same as mine, and I now use the TV speaker volume to control the Vizio sound bar sound output.

This seems like the way to go, but I cant find any option to make the TV (I have the M420VT) vary the level of the output volume. Ive tried everything in the audio setup menu, what should I be looking for?
post #390 of 1019 Old 12-31-2010, 10:43 PM

Hooked to the optical or RCA FIXED OUTPUT my newly purchased soundbard will blow me out of the room. I'll never get past the fourth LED on the seven-LED indicator. With each LED having three increases in volume level, I am not at 50% on the sound bar. Must be different output levels on the fixed vary from manufacturer to manufacturer?

Vizio definitely had a drug-addicted, whiskey sucking, bind in one eye and couldn't see out of the other design the junk remote control. That 30 feet they mention in the book is such a farce. My thumb has cramps from pressing the buttons over and over. The angles are ridiculous as well - anything beyond 90 degrees to the receiver won't work. With all the complaints I've read it's a wonder they have nor designed the remote and left the bar alone.

When "fixes" get this creative, VIZIO needs to listen:
"You need to clip several of the sections of the plastic grid away from the left side of the LED opening on the speaker grille. The plastic bars are preventing the IR signal from getting through to the receiver. Once you open up the area around the IR receiver, it works like a champ."

Mine didn't "...work like champ." Removing the entire grill is the only fix that worked. Well, that and finally getting my Dish Network remote programmed. IT works - thank goodness or great soundbar or not this thing would be back at Costco!
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page