Vizio VSB200 Soundbar - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1019 Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried RCA cables in every port but no luck I guess I will just have to return the soundbar. I really wanted to use it too.

I like my tv turned up loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1019 Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscave View Post

Just purchased one of these soundbars today at Walmart for my bedroom tv after reading all the reviews here. While researching remote codes that would possibly work with my Brighthouse cable remote (Atlas 1056) I found using the Audio key with code 1517 works with the soundbar. I can now turn on & off my Vizio plasma tv, SA8300HDC cable box and the Vizio soundbar with the power key on the Atlas remote as well as control the volume on the soundbar. The soundbar has no problems receiving the IR signals from the Atlas remote compared to the stock remote that barely worked.

I am struggling to get my Cablevision remote to control the soundbar. I am willing to try all 999 three digit codes, but I am not sure how I would tell if one of them works. When you get a correct code , it is supposed to turn off the device, but with no 'on' light, it is impossible to know if the soundbar has turned off. How did you troubleshoot your Brighthouse cable remote. I have the same equipment - Vizio TV and Scientific Atlanta cablebox (4200HD not the 8300HD DVR).

I would be so grateful if I could get the cable remote to control the sound on the soundbar, instead of the sound on the TV.
post #453 of 1019 Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad03xtreme View Post

I tried RCA cables in every port but no luck I guess I will just have to return the soundbar. I really wanted to use it too.

have you tried just setting the Dolby to "off"? If you have Direct TV its on the setup menu. I'm pretty sure you can also go into the audio menu on your TV and turn off the Dolby.

have you set the correct input? if you use the optical input, it's the third flashing led light.

stick with it...you'll figure it out. I am really enjoying my sound bar.
post #454 of 1019 Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:

It's a Zenith PJ240 but it is essentially the same model as the LG PJ350.

Thanks again!

Hey bad. It appears you may have already returned the soundbar. Forgive my tardiness in getting back to you on this. It appears that the only setting for the TV that has any control over what goes to the soundbar is turning the TV speakers "OFF".

If you have coax going directly to the TV - I do in my Master bedroom, there does not appear to be any way to change 5.1 to 2-ch audio or from DTS to PCM.

David Freeman
post #455 of 1019 Old 01-27-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchristensen View Post

I am struggling to get my Cablevision remote to control the soundbar. I am willing to try all 999 three digit codes, but I am not sure how I would tell if one of them works. When you get a correct code , it is supposed to turn off the device, but with no 'on' light, it is impossible to know if the soundbar has turned off. How did you troubleshoot your Brighthouse cable remote. I have the same equipment - Vizio TV and Scientific Atlanta cablebox (4200HD not the 8300HD DVR).

I would be so grateful if I could get the cable remote to control the sound on the soundbar, instead of the sound on the TV.

Have you turned off the TV internal speakers? If so, contact Vizio and see if they have info on what equipment this might be compatible with as far as codes. I believe that someone said they had used Sherwood receiver codes with some type of remote and those worked with their Vizio.

David Freeman
post #456 of 1019 Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I unboxed my soundbar the same day I programmed my new Harmony One. Can someone who has used the soundbar with a Harmony remote tell me how you got it working? I couldn't find it listed anywhere in the programming software...
post #457 of 1019 Old 01-28-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post

I unboxed my soundbar the same day I programmed my new Harmony One. Can someone who has used the soundbar with a Harmony remote tell me how you got it working? I couldn't find it listed anywhere in the programming software...

It should be under speaker or receiver. I set it up on my Logitech a while ago. I don't use my Logitech Harmony much anymore though.
post #458 of 1019 Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post

Look under receiver and tell it Vizio. It should give you the correct choice.

David Freeman
post #459 of 1019 Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 PM

Here is my current setup:

PS3 connected to TV via HDMI cable + TV connected to Vizio soundbar via optical cable.

It works. But would the following alternative improve the sound quality (particularly the virtual surround feature of the soundbar):

PS3 connected to TV via HDMI cable + PS3 connected to the soundbar via optical cable.

Note the difference: in the proposed setup, the TV does not handle the sound coming from the PS3 at all since it goes straight to the soundbar. Of course, this is useful only when playing games or watching movies using the PS3.

Any thoughts?

Jack
post #460 of 1019 Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gambino View Post

Here is my current setup:

PS3 connected to TV via HDMI cable + TV connected to Vizio soundbar via optical cable.

It works. But would the following alternative improve the sound quality (particularly the virtual surround feature of the soundbar):

PS3 connected to TV via HDMI cable + PS3 connected to the soundbar via optical cable.

Note the difference: in the proposed setup, the TV does not handle the sound coming from the PS3 at all since it goes straight to the soundbar. Of course, this is useful only when playing games or watching movies using the PS3.

Any thoughts?

Jack

Yes. A definite improvement. The sound from your PS-3 will be 5.1 going to the soundbar whereas it is on 2-ch coming from the TV.

Make sure the PS3 is set to PCM for output as the Vizio can not decode bitstream.

David Freeman
post #461 of 1019 Old 01-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks, Doc. That's what I was hoping. Time to order a slightly longer optical cable from Monoprice (the current one doesn't quite reach)!

Jack
post #462 of 1019 Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchristensen View Post

What model number is your remote? If you don't have a manual with codes for your remote that came with your cable box, find the model number of the remote and search it on the internet. The Sherwood codes seem to be the only ones that work. I manually turned on the soundbar and verified it was working with my tv. Then I initially only tried using volume up/down with each code until I found a code that worked. Then verified all the other functions worked.

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
post #463 of 1019 Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Hey bad. It appears you may have already returned the soundbar. Forgive my tardiness in getting back to you on this. It appears that the only setting for the TV that has any control over what goes to the soundbar is turning the TV speakers "OFF".

If you have coax going directly to the TV - I do in my Master bedroom, there does not appear to be any way to change 5.1 to 2-ch audio or from DTS to PCM.

Thanks, I tried everything and like you said the only option is to turn the speakers off and since I am running the coaxial directly into the tv the sound bar just won't work for me. I appreciate all the help and advice!

Is there another soundbar option that would work with this setup? I don't want to have anything but the tv and soundbar for a clean look with no reciever.

post #464 of 1019 Old 01-30-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, I tried everything and like you said the only option is to turn the speakers off and since I am running the coaxial directly into the tv the sound bar just won't work for me. I appreciate all the help and advice!

Is there another soundbar option that would work with this setup? I don't want to have anything but the tv and soundbar for a clean look with no reciever.

Several good choices.

The JVC soundbar sounds pretty good without the sub. When I received mine, I played with it about three days as soundbar only to nail down the sonic characteristics. Since the sub is wireless, it can pretty well be hidden anywhere in the room. The addition of the sub really steps the soundbar up a notch.

Samsung 450/451 sounds pretty good with the same caveats as the JVC.

If your TV has analog outputs, the Boston Accoustics actually has very good 2-ch sound.

Both of the current Sony's would be my normal preference almost even with the JVC. However, everything hooks up to the sub-woofer which houses all of the electronics, controls, and the IR receiver. That means that for most people, the sub has to be line of sight with your remote and close proximity to everything else.

David Freeman
post #465 of 1019 Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 PM

Has anyway here found a remote code that will allow a Dish remote control the Vizio SB?

Thanks
post #466 of 1019 Old 01-31-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:

Several good choices.

The JVC soundbar sounds pretty good without the sub. When I received mine, I played with it about three days as soundbar only to nail down the sonic characteristics. Since the sub is wireless, it can pretty well be hidden anywhere in the room. The addition of the sub really steps the soundbar up a notch.

Samsung 450/451 sounds pretty good with the same caveats as the JVC.

If your TV has analog outputs, the Boston Accoustics actually has very good 2-ch sound.

Both of the current Sony's would be my normal preference almost even with the JVC. However, everything hooks up to the sub-woofer which houses all of the electronics, controls, and the IR receiver. That means that for most people, the sub has to be line of sight with your remote and close proximity to everything else.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check these out and decide on one.

post #467 of 1019 Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDavid View Post
Has anyway here found a remote code that will allow a Dish remote control the Vizio SB?

Thanks
Go to your Dish manual and look under receivers for Sherwood. See if any of those codes work.

David Freeman
post #468 of 1019 Old 01-31-2011, 05:59 PM

I just found a Samsung HT-X810 on my local craigslist for a good deal. Will this work with my set-up from everything I have read it looks like it will.

link->

post #469 of 1019 Old 02-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post

It should be under speaker or receiver. I set it up on my Logitech a while ago. I don't use my Logitech Harmony much anymore though.

I was able to program it to my Harmony One by Amp. I hope you have better success. I bought and returned two units because the IR is so bad that I couldn't control the volume satisfactorially from 15 feet - with the Vizio remote or the Harmony! I read some work around which involves breaking off a piece of the grill but chose not to do it. Sounded good, too bad the remote sticks
post #470 of 1019 Old 02-03-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawphilly View Post
I was able to program it to my Harmony One by Amp. I hope you have better success. I bought and returned two units because the IR is so bad that I couldn't control the volume satisfactorially from 15 feet - with the Vizio remote or the Harmony! I read some work around which involves breaking off a piece of the grill but chose not to do it. Sounded good, too bad the remote sticks
If you have problems with the remote sensor on the VSB-200, open the grill (it pops off) and remove the foam padding that covers the IR sensor. I could control the soundbar without very careful aiming from 18' away once the foam was removed. Does have the down side of making the individual sensor lights showing input, sound mode, etc., brighter.

David Freeman
post #471 of 1019 Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
If you have problems with the remote sensor on the VSB-200, open the grill (it pops off) and remove the foam padding that covers the IR sensor. I could control the soundbar without very careful aiming from 18' away once the foam was removed. Does have the down side of making the individual sensor lights showing input, sound mode, etc., brighter.
I did this and it works fine with my URC remote. My couch is about 10 feet from the TV and the speaker is above the TV on a shelf. I just need to point the remote at the TV, not necessarily at the speaker above the TV.

I don't have any lights on as I don't use any of the surround modes, just plain stereo, plus mine is above the TV so would not be too distracting (I like it that I can see easily the lights when I change the volume though)
post #472 of 1019 Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 AM

I have two high end Surround Systems, one in the living room and one in my ManCave. I bought a Vizio Soundbar for the bedroom. While it's not surround, it has raised the quality very much for the 90.00 it cost me. My wife is hearing impaired and this allows her better enjoyment over the standard TV speakers of the 42" LED Vizio TV. I had a Sub laying around that needed a new amp and I got it and fitted it to my JBL 12" sub and it now gives me a great low end in the bedroom as well.

I've seen a few people call it junk, by would strongly disagree to that statement.

Proper Sound and Video just makes life grand. Enjoy AVS forums for the information its community provides.
post #473 of 1019 Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-in-NJ View Post

I have two high end Surround Systems, one in the living room and one in my ManCave. I bought a Vizio Soundbar for the bedroom. While it's not surround, it has raised the quality very much for the 90.00 it cost me. My wife is hearing impaired and this allows her better enjoyment over the standard TV speakers of the 42" LED Vizio TV. I had a Sub laying around that needed a new amp and I got it and fitted it to my JBL 12" sub and it now gives me a great low end in the bedroom as well.

I've seen a few people call it junk, by would strongly disagree to that statement.

I agree with you. Anyone who call this junk, has not listened to it. I have owned a number of surround systems that were medium high-end (less than 20k) and even after a professional THX calibration was never totally sold on it and always reverted back to basic 2-ch with or without sub(s) for music. I have also owned a number of soundbars as my current condo does not integrate well with surround. For basic sound, I rate the Vizio far ahead of the Yamaha YSP that cost more than ten times the Vizio and slightly ahead of the Sony CT-100 from 2009. The Vizio does suprisingly well with voice. It is extremely efficient and dynamic. Can play louder without distortion than any of the soundbars I have sampled. What's not to like.

Glad this works for you. My Vizio ended up in the Master BR about five months ago after I sold the Sony and we are still enjoying it.

David Freeman
post #474 of 1019 Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Yes. A definite improvement. The sound from your PS-3 will be 5.1 going to the soundbar whereas it is on 2-ch coming from the TV.

Make sure the PS3 is set to PCM for output as the Vizio can not decode bitstream.

Dr. Freeman,

Tried it. When I select the optical connection on the PS3 I get a few options:

- Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- AAC
- several 2-channel PCM (various KHz values)

and no 5.1 PCM. Any suggestions on which to choose?

Jack
post #475 of 1019 Old 02-05-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gambino View Post

Dr. Freeman,

Tried it. When I select the optical connection on the PS3 I get a few options:

- Dolby Digital 5.1
- DTS 5.1
- AAC
- several 2-channel PCM (various KHz values)

and no 5.1 PCM. Any suggestions on which to choose?

Jack

Dolby Digital should work. If not, you will have to use one of the 2-ch PCM modes.

David Freeman
post #476 of 1019 Old 02-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Dolby Digital should work. If not, you will have to use one of the 2-ch PCM modes.

Alas, the two-channel PCM modes, which are checked on by default by the PS3, seem to be the only workable option. When I check Dolby Digital and watch a DVD I just get a lot of loud noise! Oh well. At least the soundbar is a big improvement over the TV's build in speakers, especially with the Polk Audio subwoofer attached. Thanks!

Jack
post #477 of 1019 Old 02-09-2011, 05:26 PM

I have an xbox 360 and a sony bluray player hooked up to a mitsubishi hc3800 and the vsb200 (via rca cables). I'm looking to get everything nicely unified and was wondering if there was a reason for the following to NOT work that I need to be aware of:

getting a logitech harmony 650 and "4X1 HDMI 1.3b Certified Switcher with Toslink & Digital Coaxial port (Rev.2)" from monoprice (search "hdmi toslink" on monoprice, can't post urls yet)

The soundbar and the switch are controllable w/ the harmony, but I'm wondering if the switch and the soundbar might have problems between each other when connected via toslink/optical.
post #478 of 1019 Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:

See if there is an option on audio for something like Stereo/Mono/5.1. If so change to Stereo or 2-channel. On some TV's, the only multi-channel output will be bitstream instead of PCM.

I haven't been able to get back to this forum to address my issue but I'd like to re-visit it.

My audio options on the TV are PCM and Dobly Digital. On Dolby HD channels have no sound and PCM "pops" when switching from an HD signal channel to a regular one. All of this happens on optical only.

Is this a bad bar?
post #479 of 1019 Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 PM

anyone getting lip sync issues on ps3? I want to finish "the pacific" bluray but the sound sync is off. Seems the sound is coming before they move their mouths.

ps3 connected to sound bar via optical.
ps3 connected to samsung 55inc6300 lcd via hdmi

Ive played around a bit for and 1hr and tried a few google searches. Dont recall the current settings i have but will try it out agian tonight.

jordan
post #480 of 1019 Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZForce915 View Post

I haven't been able to get back to this forum to address my issue but I'd like to re-visit it.

My audio options on the TV are PCM and Dobly Digital. On Dolby HD channels have no sound and PCM "pops" when switching from an HD signal channel to a regular one. All of this happens on optical only.

Is this a bad bar?

Don't know if the bar is defective. I have had mine connected first to a Panasonic V10 plasma and never experienced any pop when changing between HD and SD channels. However, with the Panasonic, the audio was direct from a Comcast HD-DVR.

The bar is currently connected to a Sharp LCD using the built-in tuner. TV connected to the soundbar via optical cable with sound output set to PCM and internal speakers switched off. No pop or other noises when switching between channels.

For this bar, PCM is the only mode that will work. Will not accept bit-stream audio.

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page