AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtlng View Post

Hi,

Can someone confirm if the remote volume control on the Vizio has enough range to control the volume incrementally. I am having that issue with my current zvox, unit always seems too low or too loud. There is no way to incrementally change the volume with their remote.

The Vizio has plenty of range and it is incremental in its adjustment. Have never experienced any problem with going from too soft to too loud in over two years that I have had mine.

David Freeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1019 Old 03-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gambino View Post

One advantage of having the sound go from the TV to the soundbar is that anything connected to the TV (cable box, PS3, DVD player) will feed sound to the soundbar. That's how I had set things up initially.

Now I still have the RCA cables go from the TV to the bar, but I connect my PS3 directly to the soundbar using optical (and switch inputs using the remote). This way, when I use the PS3 as a bluray player to watch movies, I can get better sound -- best of both worlds!

Jack

That makes sense. On the same idea, if I run the cable box to the tv using rca cables, then run the tv to the soundbar using the optical cable, would that cause me to lose digital quality? I think I would have to run optical from my cable box to the tv and from my tv to the sounbar. I am not an audiophile, but willing to learn. I would like to optimize my system receive digital audio if possible. I appreciate any help I can receive on this matter.
post #543 of 1019 Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd62 View Post

That makes sense. On the same idea, if I run the cable box to the tv using rca cables, then run the tv to the soundbar using the optical cable, would that cause me to lose digital quality? I think I would have to run optical from my cable box to the tv and from my tv to the sounbar. I am not an audiophile, but willing to learn. I would like to optimize my system receive digital audio if possible. I appreciate any help I can receive on this matter.

I believe that is correct, i.e., if your cable box can output 5.1 audio via optical, then you should be able to get better sound by connecting it directly to the soundbar. However, I'm no expert either and have relied on the sage advice of David Freeman for my setup--if he's reading this I'm sure he'll correct my errors
post #544 of 1019 Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gambino View Post
I believe that is correct, i.e., if your cable box can output 5.1 audio via optical, then you should be able to get better sound by connecting it directly to the soundbar. However, I'm no expert either and have relied on the sage advice of David Freeman for my setup--if he's reading this I'm sure he'll correct my errors
Well I ordered an optical cable from new egg and a sony 100 watt SA-W2500 powered subwoofer from B&H. I will put them together and comeback here to give a followup. Ill see if I notice any difference with the optical cable compared to the rca cables.
post #545 of 1019 Old 03-22-2011, 05:31 AM

Liked: 14
That's my current setup and its great!
post #546 of 1019 Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Going to pickup the VBS200, have the Toslink cable on order from Monoprice.
My TV (LG 47LE5400) can output either PCM or DD5.1 from the optical output port.
Is PCM or DD5.1 preferred when your TV can output either for the VBS200?

Thanks....

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #547 of 1019 Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Going to pickup the VBS200, have the Toslink cable on order from Monoprice.
My TV (LG 47LE5400) can output either PCM or DD5.1 from the optical output port.
Is PCM or DD5.1 preferred when your TV can output either for the VBS200?

Thanks....

Hey Rob I just picked up that TV myself within the past few weeks. Have been pretty happy with it but of course in such a small frame the speakers are garbage. I have been considering the VBS200 myself, so will be interested in how well you think it pairs with the LE5400 and whether it works with all the TV inputs etc. I hope you post some feedback after you get the sound bar as I will probably pick one up within the next few weeks.

Based on other things I've seen in this thread it sounds like the VBS200 may only work with PCM.
post #548 of 1019 Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankle Monsta View Post

...Based on other things I've seen in this thread it sounds like the VBS200 may only work with PCM.

There's posts that mention DD5.1 and others mention PCM.... so I just don't know.
Sure someone will chime in here before too long, at any rate my Toslink cable should arrive Fri or Sat, so Ill go to BJ's and pickup the soundbar Sat most likely.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #549 of 1019 Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM

Your right replay. Taken from page 11 of the manual. Good thing I went back and red this. I think I have TV audio set to Dobly Digital. I better go change it.

"Note: When using the Optical Input on the HD Sound Bar, be sure to set the source device output mode
to PCM. Refer to the TV user manual for more information about the audio output settings of the product"
post #550 of 1019 Old 03-22-2011, 03:15 PM

Which brings me to my next question. Do I have to go change the settings on my Directv HD DVR and Blu Ray player or does the TV automatically convert andy DD to PCM?
post #551 of 1019 Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadolfan View Post

Your right replay. Taken from page 11 of the manual. Good thing I went back and red this. I think I have TV audio set to Dobly Digital. I better go change it.

"Note: When using the Optical Input on the HD Sound Bar, be sure to set the source device output mode
to PCM. Refer to the TV user manual for more information about the audio output settings of the product"

Thanks!
That makes it easier to setup.

post #552 of 1019 Old 03-22-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadolfan View Post

Which brings me to my next question. Do I have to go change the settings on my Directv HD DVR and Blu Ray player or does the TV automatically convert any DD to PCM?

My TV converts audio from HDMI to whatever I set the optical output to stream- I'm going to set it to PCM now.

post #553 of 1019 Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 PM

Thought I'd chime up again with an update.

Got the Harmony 700 and gave it a quick setup. Works great with all components. I had to change the timings for the VSB200. I have all audio going in through optical, so I needed to select input twice to scroll over. The delay was either too great or too small so that the remote thought it was switching input but wasn't. Currently have the delay set to 100 ms. Now it works great.

Just need to play for a bit then go back and do some more detailed remote programming.

Thanks for the previous input and replies.
post #554 of 1019 Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd62 View Post

Well I ordered an optical cable from new egg and a sony 100 watt SA-W2500 powered subwoofer from B&H. I will put them together and comeback here to give a followup. Ill see if I notice any difference with the optical cable compared to the rca cables.

Put it together and: I could not get the cable box to admit anything but noise with the optical cable. I believe its the cable box signal. I tried the cable box directly to the tv as well as the soundbar and got nothing. There is no pcm setting in the cablebox. So I set evrything up with the RCA cable and am very pleased with the sub. After a few setting adjustments to the crossover aand polarity I am very happy with the Bass from the sub combined with the Vizio vsb200. The sub cost $77, the vizio cost $89. Total Cost = $166. Thats qualifies for a low budget surround system. NO its not TRUE surround, but it definately BLOWS AWAY my TVs tinny sounding speakers. Just wish I could get the digital optical to work!!!
post #555 of 1019 Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Since I didn't get the VSB200 yet...
Does it auto time-out power down with no signal input after so many min?
If not, is that an option?
How about auto power up once it senses an input signal?

Thanks... Rob

post #556 of 1019 Old 03-23-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Since I didn't get the VSB200 yet...
Does it auto time-out power down with no signal input after so many min?
If not, is that an option?
How about auto power up once it senses an input signal?

Thanks... Rob

No, the VSB200 does not have this feature.
post #557 of 1019 Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guammer View Post

No, the VSB200 does not have this feature.

Thanks!
Just DL'd the user manual, too bad they decided not to include this simple feature.

post #558 of 1019 Old 03-26-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Went to BJ's, got the last VSB200 in stock- last Sunday they had about 8 or 9 on the shelf.

Removed the front grill, cut back the plastic frame that was indeed blocking the IR receiver.

Programmed it into my Harmony One, connected it to my LG 47LE5400 optical out (set to PCM as recommended in the VSB200 manual).. and it works flawlessly! No lip-sync issues via $1.78 6' Monoprice optical cable.

Connected it to my Sansa Fuse MP3 player- surprisingly good sound.

Added it to "activities" on the Harmony One- so now I don't worry about turning the VSB200 on and off.

Very happy with the price to performance ratio.

post #559 of 1019 Old 03-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Went to BJ's, got the last VSB200 in stock- last Sunday they had about 8 or 9 on the shelf.

Removed the front grill, cut back the plastic frame that was indeed blocking the IR receiver.

Programmed it into my Harmony One, connected it to my LG 47LE5400 optical out (set to PCM as recommended in the VSB200 manual).. and it works flawlessly! No lip-sync issues via $1.78 6' Monoprice optical cable.

Connected it to my Sansa Fuse MP3 player- surprisingly good sound.

Added it to "activities" on the Harmony One- so now I don't worry about turning the VSB200 on and off.

Very happy with the price to performance ratio.

I agree, it has great sound for the money. You might want to think about a subwoofer in the future to connect to the soundbar. It really completes the set up. Glad you like it.
post #560 of 1019 Old 03-27-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, it has great sound for the money. You might want to think about a subwoofer in the future to connect to the soundbar. It really completes the set up. Glad you like it.

Thanks guammer- I actually do have a full setup with AVR, 12" sub, etc... the VSB200 is just for everyday use where I don't need/want all the speakers/amp/sub running like late night viewing, etc. For everyday use the VSB200's perfect.

post #561 of 1019 Old 03-27-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob
Thanks guammer- I actually do have a full setup with AVR, 12" sub, etc... the VSB200 is just for everyday use where I don't need/want all the speakers/amp/sub running like late night viewing, etc. For everyday use the VSB200's perfect.
Did the same thing myself. It's very good for that purpose.
post #562 of 1019 Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:

That was my main concern; how well it performs without a sub. I won't be buying/using a subwoofer, but I am hoping the VSB200 on its own still provides some decent bass? (at least a huge difference from built-in speakers?)
post #563 of 1019 Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankle Monsta View Post

That was my main concern; how well it performs without a sub. I won't be buying/using a subwoofer, but I am hoping the VSB200 on its own still provides some decent bass? (at least a huge difference from built-in speakers?)

It sounds just fine without a subwoofer. Especially for everyday tv viewing.
post #564 of 1019 Old 03-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:

It sounds just fine without a subwoofer. Especially for everyday tv viewing.

I agree also, nice soundbar for the price!
post #565 of 1019 Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 AM

I bought one (98 bucks) just to see how it sounds since I usually have a complete Yamaha system but wanted something for the family room...it is a great sound system...I hooked up my Yamaha subwoofer with it and the sound is awesome for a small room...you won't be disappointed.
post #566 of 1019 Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 AM

The Costco near me (Corona, Ca.) has these for $89. Best price I've seen. Check your local Costco.
post #567 of 1019 Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
TigerDirect has them for $69 (refurb)

post #568 of 1019 Old 04-18-2011, 09:01 AM

i need some decent sound for my tosh 40" hdtv.. and went to the mart to get one of these after reading the reviews... it flat out works.. you will not get the sound stage of 5.1 but you will get good separation L and R and pony up for the sub.. it makes a hell of a lot of difference.. its so good that i have my
Samsung 6500 DVD networked to my computer.. dnla.. and i use that to serve my music.. but... i did not dig the price wallmart charged so i took that back and got a referb through Tigerdirect.. 170.00 vs 300.00.. im pretty sure WM sold me a used system anyway... is it as good as the 400 buck polk.. no is it a screaming good deal for 170.... yea..
post #569 of 1019 Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzo View Post

i need some decent sound for my tosh 40" hdtv.. and went to the mart to get one of these after reading the reviews... it flat out works.. you will not get the sound stage of 5.1 but you will get good separation L and R and pony up for the sub.. it makes a hell of a lot of difference.. its so good that i have my
Samsung 6500 DVD networked to my computer.. dnla.. and i use that to serve my music.. but... i did not dig the price wallmart charged so i took that back and got a referb through Tigerdirect.. 170.00 vs 300.00.. im pretty sure WM sold me a used system anyway... is it as good as the 400 buck polk.. no is it a screaming good deal for 170.... yea..

I think you got robbed. I payed $98 new.
post #570 of 1019 Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I think you got robbed. I payed $98 new.
Maybe the $170 he paid included the sub he was referring to pony up for.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page