Vizio VSB200 Soundbar - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1019 Old 10-13-2009, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thinking about getting this (without the subwoofer), not a big fan of wireless when it comes to audio, but for people who have a non Vizio subwoofer, is it easy enough to get the cross over dialed in?

I live in a studio now, but would like to add a subwoofer later on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1019 Old 10-13-2009, 07:07 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post

where do you take the soundbar
apart at?

The cloth front panel pulls off.
post #63 of 1019 Old 10-13-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post

...for people who have a non Vizio subwoofer, is it easy enough to get the cross over dialed in?

The sub-woofer plugs into an RCA output jack on the sound bar. Be advised the VSB200 does not have an independent bass vol control. So, when you eventually add the woofer, make sure its got one of its own.
post #64 of 1019 Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG3 View Post

The sub-woofer plugs into an RCA output jack on the sound bar. Be advised the VSB200 does not have an independent bass vol control. So, when you eventually add the woofer, make sure its got one of its own.

Most subwoofers have a level control as well as adjustable crossover, even inexpensive ones.
This is the one I use with the Vizio bar:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Balboa-100.../dp/B000O8WE66
post #65 of 1019 Old 10-13-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

i think im going to check one of these out today. i will post results tonight with pics

Regency Park Family Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 1019 Old 10-13-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG3 View Post

The cloth front panel pulls off.

I suspected that was it, but wanted verification before I charged in like a bull in a china shop. LOL..

Got it off. Definitely makes the remote work better at angles, and longer distances. Nice.
The brighter lights are a definite plus also.
Thanks!
post #67 of 1019 Old 10-13-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I suspected that was it, but wanted verification before I charged in like a bull in a china shop. LOL..

Got it off. Definitely makes the remote work better at angles, and longer distances. Nice.
The brighter lights are a definite plus also.
Thanks!

I agree, great tip!
post #68 of 1019 Old 10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

my walmart does not sell this thing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #69 of 1019 Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post

Thinking about getting this (without the subwoofer), not a big fan of wireless when it comes to audio, but for people who have a non Vizio subwoofer, is it easy enough to get the cross over dialed in?

I live in a studio now, but would like to add a subwoofer later on...

Im not a huge fan of wireless either when it comes to audio stuff, but I have to say my Vizio Soundbar w/ wireless sub has worked flawlessly.

Cheers
Davyo
post #70 of 1019 Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

my walmart does not sell this thing

If you don't have another walmart closeby - order it off their website.
http://www.walmart.com/Vizio-High-De...ar/ip/11046520
Actually, that's the way to go anyway. The price used to be the same in the store, as on the website.
Now it's down to $127 on the website.
post #71 of 1019 Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 AM

they have the VSB210W at $296 (that's a good price)
post #72 of 1019 Old 10-15-2009, 11:04 AM

For those that have DishNetwork DVRs..
When I first got my vizio soundbar, I tried to use the "learn" function of my Dish remote to control the soundbar, but guess I didn't do something right.
Sat down this morning, and tried it again, and it worked perfectly.
I can now do all the functions of the soundbar on my dish remote, so the little vizio remote is now put away,
plus - the Dish remote seems to have more power, as I can use the functions of the soundbar at much greater
distances now.
post #73 of 1019 Old 10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you don't have another walmart closeby - order it off their website.
http://www.walmart.com/Vizio-High-De...ar/ip/11046520
Actually, that's the way to go anyway. The price used to be the same in the store, as on the website.
Now it's down to $127 on the website.

i want to be able to return this thing if i dont like

post #74 of 1019 Old 10-15-2009, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do they not offer any returns via the website? I don't see any restrictions.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=538459

At that price, you could probably make money by reselling it after it goes off sale.
post #75 of 1019 Old 10-15-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Unless they have changed something recently, anything you buy off the website can be returned to the store, just like if you bought it there.

Doublecheck to be sure, but that's the way it has been.
post #76 of 1019 Old 10-23-2009, 06:28 PM

Hey guys!!
I'm looking for a soundbar system.. I am Torn between Soundmatters MainstageHD 199, ZVox 325 for 259, Sony Ct100 for 229, soundbar VSB210W at sams for 247, And finally the Yamaha YAS71 for 249 and 30 shipping.. Budget is a big thing for me and 300 dollars there are alot of options to enhance sound......

My main thing is I want clear dialog.. I am looking for a wide soundfield... I realize these bars don't give surround but I am looking for a clutter free solution... All I have is a CRT HDTV and a PS3 for my gaming and movie needs.. My television doesn't have optical... What system would you look at if??? I can't test them all because most are online LOL...

Thanks!!
post #77 of 1019 Old 10-25-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPFla View Post

Hey guys!!
I'm looking for a soundbar system.. I am Torn between Soundmatters MainstageHD 199, ZVox 325 for 259, Sony Ct100 for 229, soundbar VSB210W at sams for 247, And finally the Yamaha YAS71 for 249 and 30 shipping.. Budget is a big thing for me and 300 dollars there are alot of options to enhance sound......

My main thing is I want clear dialog.. I am looking for a wide soundfield... I realize these bars don't give surround but I am looking for a clutter free solution... All I have is a CRT HDTV and a PS3 for my gaming and movie needs.. My television doesn't have optical... What system would you look at if??? I can't test them all because most are online LOL...

Thanks!!

I'm not familiar with the first two, but I have listened to the Sony, and I was impressed, and I own the vizio SB200, and like it a lot.
Imo, the Sony has a little better sound, but the Vizio has less clutter, cables,etc to mess with.
My guess is either one of those will satisfy what you want.
If you are going to buy online, be sure they offer free shipping, AND no questions asked - no restocking fees return, in case you are not satisfied.
post #78 of 1019 Old 10-29-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I brought home the Visio Sound bar last night at Wal-Mart. Used site-to-store shipping and got the terrific $127 price mentioned above. I connected the unit to my Panasonic V10 and am very pleasantly surprised just how good this unit is.

Sound is full.
Will play quite loud.
Dialog is very easy to hear and understand.
Decent job of bringing High Fidelity type sound to a regular TV.

The simulated surround is not very impressive. Actually kind of strange to my ears. But I was mainly looking for just better sound than the internal speakers on the Panasonic.

Also, the volume leveling seems to work, but the compressed sound on even my wife's soap opera had us looking for the remote to turn it off.

With all of the sound processing off, this is an amazing unit. Spent about five hours with the unit for regular television and a Blu-Ray movie. The sound never disappointed.

We have been using a Yamaha DSP (YSP-800 - $900) for the last three years and I can say that the Vizio seems to outperform it in every category. Looks better also.

We also tried the Sony CT100, but neither of us cared for the sound. Seemed very thin and wouldn't play as loudly as even the Yamaha. By the way, lack of volume was one of the areas that has always bothered us on the Yamaha DSP's. We added a Yamaha matching sub to see if that would take some strain off of the main unit, but on Blu-Ray's and DVD's often had to set the volume to about -14 to -16db to achieve decent volume. The Vizio is quite audible at much lower volume settings which means it should have more available head room for dynamic movies.

I plan to audition for about another week with various material, but my initial impression is that this is a keeper.

By the way, the initial impressions were all made with just the analog outputs from the TV. If I decide to keep, I will connect to the digital outs and also connect the Yamaha sub.

David Freeman
post #79 of 1019 Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

I brought home the Visio Sound bar last night at Wal-Mart. Used site-to-store shipping and got the terrific $127 price mentioned above. I connected the unit to my Panasonic V10 and am very pleasantly surprised just how good this unit is.

Sound is full.
Will play quite loud.
Dialog is very easy to hear and understand.
Decent job of bringing High Fidelity type sound to a regular TV.

The simulated surround is not very impressive. Actually kind of strange to my ears. But I was mainly looking for just better sound than the internal speakers on the Panasonic.

Also, the volume leveling seems to work, but the compressed sound on even my wife's soap opera had us looking for the remote to turn it off.

With all of the sound processing off, this is an amazing unit. Spent about five hours with the unit for regular television and a Blu-Ray movie. The sound never disappointed.

We have been using a Yamaha DSP (YSP-800 - $900) for the last three years and I can say that the Vizio seems to outperform it in every category. Looks better also.

We also tried the Sony CT100, but neither of us cared for the sound. Seemed very thin and wouldn't play as loudly as even the Yamaha. By the way, lack of volume was one of the areas that has always bothered us on the Yamaha DSP's. We added a Yamaha matching sub to see if that would take some strain off of the main unit, but on Blu-Ray's and DVD's often had to set the volume to about -14 to -16db to achieve decent volume. The Vizio is quite audible at much lower volume settings which means it should have more available head room for dynamic movies.

I plan to audition for about another week with various material, but my initial impression is that this is a keeper.

By the way, the initial impressions were all made with just the analog outputs from the TV. If I decide to keep, I will connect to the digital outs and also connect the Yamaha sub.

nice review

post #80 of 1019 Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree, very nice review and seems to cover most everything the rest of us have found.
I am surprised you found it at least the equal in AQ of a Yamaha... that is certainly encouraging.
I just wanted something that was better than that 'tinny' TV speaker sound. I think the big advantage of the Sony were the HDMI inputs.
I find it is a non-issue for using the inputs Vizio provides. It sounds just fine, and looks nice too.
post #81 of 1019 Old 10-30-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

As mentioned, I was only looking for something approaching high fidelity. I never took any measurements with the Yamaha or the Vizio. The Yamaha may have been marginally more accurate, but not nearly as open and would not play nearly as loud.

When I do serious music listening, I have a much higher end setup in our sun room. But usually my wife and I sit in the living room while music is playing in the sun room (which has the speakers playing in the direction of our sofa in the living room).

Way back when I was younger I spent prodigous time tyring to find audio nirvana. Had lots of neat equipment with names like Audio Research (amps / preamp), Carver (amp / preamp) Kenwood (tuner, still the best I ever had and wish I had it back), Linn (turntable), Win (turntable / strain gauge cartridge), Fidelity Research (tonearm / MC cartridge), and speakers by Dahlquist, Quad, KEF, DCM, and Vandersteen. Spent lots of time sitting speakers just right for imaging, finding the sweet spot on the sofa, cleaning records, adjusting the tone arm for just the right vertical tracking angle. I was one busy son of a gun. Playing a record was a lot like Batman getting ready to battle the joker. But instead of putting on the Bat-Tights, Untility Belt and Bat Cape, I would lay the record on the turntable, clean in with special cleaning tools, clean the stylus, run an anti-static brush over the record, adjust the vertical tracking angle on the tone-arm to that corresponding to the angle used in cutting the record, pick up the tonearm and gently set the stylus in the opening groove. When I was single and dating, the girl had usually started to doze. And in 15 or 20 minutes when things were getting interesting on the sofa, I had to get up and turn the record over and go through all of my other gyrations, then hope the lady in question was still in the mood. Usually they weren't.

Currently I am listening to a pair of Infinity loudspeakers through an Onkyo receiver using an old Panasonic DVD player as my one and only audio source. Total cost of everything in my current system is less than $1,500.00 and this is the most accurate sound I have ever had. Comes closest to music, but still nowhere near the real thing. Some of my older systems had close to 20 times the investment and all sounded good at the time. I don't miss vinyl. Gave away over 3,000 albums in the mid 90's.

I guess I am saying all of this as I know I have read numerous posts where people don't understand why some of us would purchase a soundbar as opposed to having a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system. I have heard many of these types of systems in homes, big box and specialty retailers and still think two channels of stereo give a more accurate rendition of most recorded music. Decent hi-fi mono or stereo (and I give the Vizio above average on the decent scale) is to me much preferrable to the many small satellites placed all around the room. And I really can't understand spending gobs of money for five or seven or more high end speakers to place around a room when there should be very little information coming from any excpet the front two or three. Unfortunately, I have been in many homes with high end setups like this and the people never understodd proper setup of a surround system. Most had their surround speakers loud enough to hear all of the time creating more of a concophony than a coherent sound. The same with their sub-woofers. If they couldn't hear it, they weren't getting their moneys worth.

I have already passed the Yamaha sound bar to my son who is enjoying it. I will probably be quite happy with the Vizio for the next two or three years.

For those of you who purchased the Vizio, I think you have made an excellent choice.

Sorry for the ranting and reminiscing, I will try to avoid that in the future.

David Freeman
post #82 of 1019 Old 10-30-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:

As mentioned, I was only looking for something approaching high fidelity. I never took any measurements with the Yamaha or the Vizio. The Yamaha may have been marginally more accurate, but not nearly as open and would not play nearly as loud...I have already passed the Yamaha sound bar to my son who is enjoying it. I will probably be quite happy with the Vizio for the next two or three years.

For those of you who purchased the Vizio, I think you have made an excellent choice.

Sorry for the ranting and reminiscing, I will try to avoid that in the future.

LOL! Great review and a fun read. I think a lot of us went through what you describe to different degrees. I had a Panasonic 5.1 system for several years and am embarassed to admit it took me many months to figure out how to adjust it correctly. When it finally bit the dust I said to heck with it. I added the Vizio VSB200 to the left-over sub woofer from the Panasonic sys and get just as much satisfaction with much less trouble and far less cost.
post #83 of 1019 Old 10-30-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I put the stereo CD copy of the Beatles' 'LOVE' album on my BD player, using the stereo analog outputs into the Vizio. It sounded very good, indeed!
Not with the same delivery of my main system, but for a bedroom A/V solution, I vote it a winner!
post #84 of 1019 Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 AM

I'm looking to buy 2 hdtvs, but want better sound than the internal speakers and hope this is something that will work for me. I don't really watch movies. Just tv shows and sports and some gaming here and there and this sounds great for the price.

My question is if I have the tv on a stand can I just leave the bar on the stand in front of the tv?
post #85 of 1019 Old 10-31-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

That is very similar to the way my unit is set up. I have a Panasonic V10 television mounted inside a cabinet (wife likes things behind closed doors when not in use - she is more anal than I am). Visio sound bar sets directly in front of the TV. No issues with sound delays or mismatches.

Also, tried for the second time to use Visio's SRS sound last night. It does not pretend to be surround, just tries to make the sound appear to come from beyond the boundaries of the soundbar. This really is not that bad.

After having the Yamaha DSP for three years, I had tried all of it's simluated surround and environmental setups. All sounded disastrous to my ears. Really missed with the tonal accuracy which is why I left the DSP set up as a 2.1 only system and was not unhappy with it as I was only wanting better sound than the internal speakers provided.

I am going to leave the Visio with the SRS settings turned on for two or three days then switch back. Watching the original James Whale 1931 version of Frankenstein on Halloween eve, it sounded very good. And if you haven't seen Frankenstein on a DVD, it is worth a purchase or rental. Unbelievable use of light and shadow and Karloff's performance as the monster can almost bring tears to your eyes.

David Freeman
post #86 of 1019 Old 10-31-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

After having the Yamaha DSP for three years, I had tried all of it's simluated surround and environmental setups. All sounded disastrous to my ears. Really missed with the tonal accuracy which is why I left the DSP set up as a 2.1 only system and was not unhappy with it as I was only wanting better sound than the internal speakers provided.

I was a tad bit confused by your post and had to ask as I was curious.

You said you had "the Yamaha DSP",, did you mean to say you had a Yamaha YSP (the soundbar) or you had a 5.1 Yamaha system that had the DSP effect (Yamaha's CINEMA DSP feature) ?

Cheers
Davyo
post #87 of 1019 Old 10-31-2009, 03:01 PM

I bought this soundbar a few months ago, without realizing that there was the VSB210WS model with the wireless subwoofer. I am now wanting a subwoofer for it. I don't need anything great, just something to give a little thump!

I don't use the soundbar that often, so I really don't want to spend much on a subwoofer at all. I'm not a sound nut, just need something to give out some bass.

Can anyone recommend a cheap (less than $50 if possible?) subwoofer that will work with this? Or would these subwoofers work with the soundbar (note that they are PC speakers, but I would just use the subwoofer for it)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121010

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116024

Thanks!
post #88 of 1019 Old 11-01-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida View Post

I'm looking to buy 2 hdtvs, but want better sound than the internal speakers and hope this is something that will work for me. I don't really watch movies. Just tv shows and sports and some gaming here and there and this sounds great for the price.

My question is if I have the tv on a stand can I just leave the bar on the stand in front of the tv?

Sure.
I have mine just sitting on the floor at the base of the tv stand, and it works fine.
post #89 of 1019 Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sano614 View Post

I bought this soundbar a few months ago, without realizing that there was the VSB210WS model with the wireless subwoofer. I am now wanting a subwoofer for it. I don't need anything great, just something to give a little thump!

I don't use the soundbar that often, so I really don't want to spend much on a subwoofer at all. I'm not a sound nut, just need something to give out some bass.

Can anyone recommend a cheap (less than $50 if possible?) subwoofer that will work with this? Or would these subwoofers work with the soundbar (note that they are PC speakers, but I would just use the subwoofer for it)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121010

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116024

Thanks!

Might check around ebay. Harmon Electronics owns JBL and they had about a dozen refurbished Balboa 10 subs for bid. You could also do a Buy it Now and get free shipping. These came with 1 year warranties.
Other retailers were selling them too.
I don't know if they still have any left, but it's great little sub for the money.
I bid on one and got it for $96 including tax & shipping.
Other notable speaker mfrs have outlet stores, etc. Also, audiogon or videogon dot com are great sources for used subs, as well as the ads here, etc.
I like Logitech for PC use. I think it would a bit lightweight for TV, movies, etc.
post #90 of 1019 Old 11-01-2009, 12:25 PM

Hi Guys.

I am new to the forum and am looking at getting a soundbar system. My room is about 12 x 16. I am looking the the Vizio for $148 at Walmart or I can get the Sony CT 100 for $200. I mostly watch TV and DVD's on a Panasonic TC-P50S1. Which do you think would be the better one to get??
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page