post #901 of 1019 Old 02-09-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Wait a second, it the sound bar only accepts 2 channel PCM over optical, then how does it create it's fake surround effect?

By fake surround effect I assume you mean the SRS TruSurround HD? SRS TruSurround HD supports anywhere from 1.0 to 6.1 input channels to create it's effect. So, yes, it can create a 2 channel surround effect from a 2 channel input signal.

It is a 2-channel sound bar, not a surround bar. I was also initially confused but conceded to this fact and accepted it as it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1019 Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is this still the best soundbar for the $80-$100 price range ?
post #903 of 1019 Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

By fake surround effect I assume you mean the SRS TruSurround HD? SRS TruSurround HD supports anywhere from 1.0 to 6.1 input channels to create it's effect. So, yes, it can create a 2 channel surround effect from a 2 channel input signal.

It is a 2-channel sound bar, not a surround bar. I was also initially confused but conceded to this fact and accepted it as it is.

Yes. Not being argumentative here, and thanks for the info, but if TruSurround is theoretically capable of supporting 6.1 input channels, and the optical connection limits input to 2 channels, isn't that false advertising? Or is SRS TruSurround an effect used in other products that do accept up to 6.1 channels?

Are we limited to 2 channel using rca cables?

What happens to the other channels if you are watching say a blu ray movie? Do they get compressed into two channels so that you are at least hearing all of the information from each channel, or are the extra channels culled out? I have been setting blu ray's audio options to 5.1 surround, but if what you say is correct, then might it not be better to use the 2 channel optional audio that some movies offer with this bar?

Thanks
post #904 of 1019 Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 PM

Liked: 10
Greetings. First time poster here.

I recently purchased this bar from Walmart for use with a Samsung 32" 720p television, primarily for my Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles. I also purchased an optical cable. Initially I had the bar plugged into the television but in an effort to fix the problem I'm about to list, I've tried having it plugged directly into the consoles as well. No avail.

Anyway, my problem is twofold. Firstly, and I've only noticed this in the past few days so I'm thinking it might be a defective product, but I'm getting some static and general sound messing-up sometimes. I don't have the volume terribly high so I doubt that's the problem.

Also, the sound likes to cut out entirely frequently whenever I boot up some of my 360 games. It will remain on until I press start but then it cuts out entirely. I have to reboot, at which point it often works. Very odd.

I think I'll try exchanging this one for another tomorrow. But if anyone should reply before then with some surprisingly helpful advice, it would be appreciated.
post #905 of 1019 Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Why do subwoofers cost so much

Is there a good one below $80 ?
post #906 of 1019 Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Looking to see if someone can offer some help - I bought the soundbar VSB200 today and everything is working great except I can't get the Time Warner remote to program to control the volume. I have used the codes in the manual and they don't work. I called Vizio and they just said those were the only codes and hung up. My TWC remote serial number is UR5U-8780LTWNC (taken from label under batteries). I have it hooked up from TV to soundbar via optical cable. Can anyone tell me how to get this remote to link up? I have tried the search code function on the remote and still nothing.

Thank you for your time and help with this.
post #907 of 1019 Old 02-17-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmzauk View Post

Looking to see if someone can offer some help - I bought the soundbar VSB200 today and everything is working great except I can't get the Time Warner remote to program to control the volume. I have used the codes in the manual and they don't work. I called Vizio and they just said those were the only codes and hung up. My TWC remote serial number is UR5U-8780LTWNC (taken from label under batteries). I have it hooked up from TV to soundbar via optical cable. Can anyone tell me how to get this remote to link up? I have tried the search code function on the remote and still nothing.

I'm using a SONY RM-VLZ620 universal remote. I could not use the search code function either but I could use the learn mode to add the buttons of the Vizio remote to the Sony. A bit time consuming but it worked.
post #908 of 1019 Old 02-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatorTot View Post

Why do subwoofers cost so much

Is there a good one below $80 ?

The Sony SA-W2500 is a good subwoofer to add to the VSB-200. It normally costs around $75 shipped from Amazon. I got one last year for the GF.
post #909 of 1019 Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Not sure if I have a "learn mode" How would I know? The remote is programmed to the Vizio TV and controls sound fine that way just not doing anything with the soundbar.
post #910 of 1019 Old 02-17-2012, 11:30 AM

You can check the manual of the cable box that the remote came with. I'm afraid that the cable box remotes don't have the learn mode.
post #911 of 1019 Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo King View Post

You can check the manual of the cable box that the remote came with. I'm afraid that the cable box remotes don't have the learn mode.

I am sure it does not have that feature. It is just a generic universal remote they give you when you get cable. It is programmed though to everything. I would have thought it would have linked up with the soundbar but I guess the Time Warner remotes dont link up? I was trying not to have to spend anymore money on a remote since this one does fine with everything. I was hoping someone would know how to link it up if it could be.
post #912 of 1019 Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmzauk View Post

Some users have reported success using codes for Sherwood receivers. Search this thread for posts containing "sherwood" and try some of the codes listed. Worked for some people, didn't for others.
post #913 of 1019 Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Sony SA-W2500 is a good subwoofer to add to the VSB-200. It normally costs around $75 shipped from Amazon. I got one last year for the GF.

Thanks im going to buy this

Are there any settings/level i have to set it to for the best sound ? I never used one of these
post #914 of 1019 Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM

Sony SA-W2500 User's Manual (Under the Specifications tab).

You will need to set the Cut-Off Frequency control to around 180Hz. That point will work best for the VSB200. You can adjust the Level (loudness) control until the bass level is OK to your ears.
post #915 of 1019 Old 02-18-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Sony SA-W2500 User's Manual (Under the Specifications tab).

You will need to set the Cut-Off Frequency control to around 180Hz. That point will work best for the VSB200. You can adjust the Level (loudness) control until the bass level is OK to your ears.

If that sony sub has an lfe input, I don't think setting the frequency control will do anything. From my previous post on this subject:

I have a sub WITH crossover control, but the crossover doesn't do anything because I am using the LFE input. I believe this is what the VSB200 expects you to do. When you use the LFE input, crossover is not used. The receiver (SVB200 manages the frequencies sent to the sub). From my sub manual:

Crossover. NOTE: This control will have no effect if the LFE Input is used. If you have a Dolby Digital or DTS processor/receiver, the Low-Pass Frequency is set by the processor/receiver. Consult your owner's manual to learn how to view or change this setting.

This setting is not adjustable on the VSB200, So you have 3 options that I know of:

1) Turn down the volume of the sub

2) Turn off the true surround (blue light) setting on the bar. This reduces bass and treble and surround effect. Some people like this setting better.

3) Adjust your TV's audio EQ settings. These might not be available if you are using a fiber optic cable to attach the bar to the tv. You might have to switch to RCA cables in order to make the control adjustable on your tv.
post #916 of 1019 Old 02-18-2012, 10:33 AM

You're correct, if we connect the sound bar to the LFE in on the sub, the built-in crossover is bypassed and the crossover frequency control would have no effects. However, the SAW-2500 does not have an LFE input, it only has a LINE IN jack. I tried different crossover settings on the SAW-2500 and found the settings at around 180Hz worked best when used with the VSB200.
post #917 of 1019 Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Does the subwoofer come with a cable?

Is it a coax audio cable thats needed?
post #918 of 1019 Old 02-18-2012, 12:53 PM

If I remember it correctly, the subwoofer came with a thin & short RCA mono cable. I suggest you get a subwoofer cable like this one. You can choose a shorter one on this page.
post #919 of 1019 Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

I have this one here already , is it the same ?

Check this out on AMZN: Dynex Digital Coax Audio Cable - 6ft (1.8M)! http://amzn.com/B001AO2QEI
post #920 of 1019 Old 02-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:

I have this one here already , is it the same ?

Check this out on AMZN: Dynex Digital Coax Audio Cable - 6ft (1.8M)! http://amzn.com/B001AO2QEI

Yep!
post #921 of 1019 Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 PM

Got a new problem hoping the experts have the answer.

Just bought a Vizio soundbar ($30 after rebate and you can't go wrong, together with a 10 year old Energy Subwoofer works really well as a 2.1 solution)... Either way, tried to watch Dish Network with the PN59D7000 using the TV's optical out, no problems at all. Then tried Pandora with Samsung's Smart Apps, no problems again. Finally, using Smart App's Netflix application, no sound at all (even though the soundbar's graphic equalizer shows movement)... Thought Netflix is the problem, turn the PS3 on and the Netflix App on the Playstions works with sound flawlessly.

My question is the following:
Does anyone have Netflix app from the Samsung Smart App's working with a receiver or soundbar, thanks for any comments!!!
post #922 of 1019 Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Last year I used NetFlix on the Samsung BD-C5500 BD player via the optical connection and I had no problems with the sound. I no longer have the Samsung BD player so I don't know if there are any changes in the Samsung app that affect the audio through optical.
post #923 of 1019 Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Im getting the subwoofer today

Where is the best place to put the subwoofer ,ear level ?

Or it doesnt matter ?

I have the soundbar on the second shelf of the tv stand ,i can try and put the subwoofer next to it
post #924 of 1019 Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Not at ear level . You might try placing the subwoofer next to your normal listening seat then go around the room to find out where you would hear the most bass and that's usually the good place for the sub. Sometimes that's not the practical place then you will need to use the 2nd best place in the room.

Many people like to put the sub in one of the corners of the room because the walls will emphasize the low frequency.
post #925 of 1019 Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

But the subwoofer needs to be connected to the soundbar is not a wireless sub

It has to go as far as the 6ft coax cable takes it
post #926 of 1019 Old 02-27-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:

But the subwoofer needs to be connected to the soundbar is not a wireless sub

It has to go as far as the 6ft coax cable takes it

Right, that's the reason I always have a longer cable so I could temporarily use it to connect the sub for cases like this. Or just try it in different places until you find the location that works best.
post #927 of 1019 Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

So in theory

If you hear more bass than voice ,you have it on too loud ?

Can you give me some pointers

From low to max where do you have yours leo ?

Tell me in percentage 0 being low & 100 being max
post #928 of 1019 Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM

The amount of bass you should add is subjective. The level that is just right for me might not be OK for other people so I suggest you first set the loudness/level control at 12:00 then play your favorite music or video programs and adjust the bass level until it sounds OK to you.
post #929 of 1019 Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

When im watching tv like a talk show & people talk for a long time the subwoofer turns off

But when the commercial comes on or the theme song of the song or a beat sound, the subwoofer turns back on

Should i slide the frequency all the way to the Max?

This only happens with rca cables watching tv,not the ps3 with optical cable
post #930 of 1019 Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM

That's because you powered the subwoofer with the Auto ON option. If the TV has separate bass & treble controls in its menu, you can try setting the bass at a higher level then use the level control on the sub to adjust the amount of bass. This will help.

Many people don't like the Auto ON because of this problem so they set their subs to ON.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page