Vizio VSB200 Soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 1019 Old 05-26-2009, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
zxiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New soundbar by Vizio, no sub. Anyone have this or heard it in the store? MSRP is $199.99, but Walmart has it for $148.00. Vizio website: *******/8DCzJ . I have a small living room, would this sound ok with my Samsung 40LNA630 using Toslink?
zxiang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1019 Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Newbie
 
thgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw one of these in Walmart and I'm kinda interested in it as well. Sadly they didn't have a demo one on display.

The bar itself looks identical to the VSB210WS with the wireless subwoofer, minus the subwoofer.

Seems like if you took the VSB200 and teamed it up with a reasonably priced sub (since it does have a sub out), it would make a nice combo.
thgill is offline  
post #3 of 1019 Old 06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Newbie
 
thgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking of picking one of these up in a couple weeks.

Anyone had a chance to listen to it?

Or better yet, anyone have a scan of the manual?


Would love to get some more info on it.
thgill is offline  
post #4 of 1019 Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Newbie
 
NilObject's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking at a few sound bars, and the Wal-Mart here in Santa Fe had one on display. It sounds pretty darn good. It's hard to get a good feel for it in such a large area, but I think it will do quite nicely in a smaller room or bedroom.

I'm also not one of those people that can tell the difference between a decent quality MP3 and uncompressed audio. So, take my recommendation at face value. I think it's certainly worth the $150 it's going for at Wal-Mart, even if just for the form factor.
NilObject is offline  
post #5 of 1019 Old 06-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Newbie
 
thgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I asked Vizio tech support a couple questions about this unit. They provided me with a pdf of the manual, which as far I can tell is not available anywhere on the net.

I asked them about the crossover setting when a subwoofer is plugged in, since the manual doesn't mention it. They said their engineering dept said its 200Hz. Kinda high in my opinion. I was hoping it was closer to 100 or maybe 120 Hz.

Also, the remote that comes with it doesn't allow you to control the volume of the subwoofer output like it does on the VSB210WS unit. I was really hoping they would keep it as it would be handy for on the fly adjustments of the sub.
thgill is offline  
post #6 of 1019 Old 06-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Member
 
JRG3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Found this thread a couple of days ago, thought I would put in my $.02.

Went out to Wal-Mart yesterday and brought my new VSB200 home. I had been looking at the VSB210WS for some time to go with my VIZIO SV470XVT (47" HDTV). Btw, its funny the way Vizio inverts the last two inits in their model numbers. After all, its a Tee Vee, not a Vee Tee. And the sound bar has a Sub Woofer, not a Woofer Sub. But I digress...

Anyway, the thing retailed at $350+ until Wal-Mart got them in for $250+. However, I already had a leftover sub woofer from a previous system, so when I found the VSB200 for $150, I saw I could get a dedicated sound sys with the features I like and save some $ too. Anyway, hooked it all up and with a minimum of fiddling, had it humming pretty good pretty quick.

Now, the thing is, you need to be sure what you are getting. First of all, you aren't going to be getting true surround sound, but rather an enhanced or widened kind of stereo. Second, you WILL want a powered sub woofer to go with this soundbar. While it gets a full sound and great volume, you are not going to get that kind of bottom without one.

But my main reason for getting the VSB200 from VIZIO was the TruVolume feature, which is a kind of built-in limiter. That is, when dialing through the channels on your Vee Tee...er, sorry, couldn't resist ;-) You don't have the kind of wild fluctuations in volume that are common in the digital age, especially going from the lower analog channels to the upper digitals.

So, if you want improved quality, extra volume and a built-in limiter but don't need the bone jarring bottom a woofer sub gets, then you will like the VSB200. I like mine a lot and am very happy with my purchase.
JRG3 is offline  
post #7 of 1019 Old 06-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Member
 
barnburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I listened to this soundbar at Walmart, a week ago, and to be honest, was not impressed at all, and pretty much decided to pass on it. Then, I remembered that the environment of my living room could make a difference over that of the store, and that Walmart would allow me to return it, if I wasn't happy with it, so, I figured I'd give the least expensive option (Visio) a shot first,then move on to something else if I didn't like it.
Bought the VSB200 today, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Even my wife, who just doesn't care about sound, and didn't see a need to improve the tv sound, says that this soundbar was a big improvement.
I don't have a subwoofer, but, I find the amount of bass to be adequate without it. There is more than enough volume to make my next door neighbor unhappy. LOL..
Setup was simple.
If you don't require true surround sound, and you are looking to "significantly" improve your sound over what your widescreen is giving you, without a bunch of cables, and speakers - this soundbar is worth checking out.
For me - just having the feature that stops the commercials from blaring, was worth the $148. LOL..
Jeffj8 likes this.
barnburner is offline  
post #8 of 1019 Old 06-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Member
 
RamzeVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I picked up the VSB200 the other day at Walmart for 148, in my opinion it sounds amazing, im surprised at the amount of bass it outputs without a subwoofer. It only accepts PCM streams thru optical, and I cannot seem to get my remote control to learn the IR for volume control, over all I am pleased for the price. When SRS is turned on it sounds even better and does provide a great surround sound effect, TruVolume works wonders as well. Anyone looking for a cheap, great sounding soundbar... head to Walmart!
Jeffj8 likes this.
RamzeVA is offline  
post #9 of 1019 Old 06-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Member
 
jfpdjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Show me someone who thinks this piece of crap sounds good and I'll show you someone who (A) works for the manufacturer and just wants to take your money or (B) has never, ever heard a well set up home theater package. I can send my wife to a flea market with $200.00 and she's guaranteed to find more value in the crap she'll find there than you'll get from that piece of junk. Save your money man. Does it really make sense to buy it? Would you advise a friend to buy the same thing? Do you really think you'll be happy with the decision a year from now?

Go find a homeless person and give them $200.00 if you can't stand having the money in your wallet. That person will be far happier for your generosity than Wal Mart will ever be and a year from now you'll feel better and you won't have that piece of junk sitting under your TV.
jfpdjp is offline  
post #10 of 1019 Old 06-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Member
 
barnburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpdjp View Post

Show me someone who thinks this piece of crap sounds good and I'll show you someone who (A) works for the manufacturer and just wants to take your money or (B) has never, ever heard a well set up home theater package. I can send my wife to a flea market with $200.00 and she's guaranteed to find more value in the crap she'll find there than you'll get from that piece of junk. Save your money man. Does it really make sense to buy it? Would you advise a friend to buy the same thing? Do you really think you'll be happy with the decision a year from now?

Go find a homeless person and give them $200.00 if you can't stand having the money in your wallet. That person will be far happier for your generosity than Wal Mart will ever be and a year from now you'll feel better and you won't have that piece of junk sitting under your TV.

Well, I'm retired, and don't work for anybody.
As has been stated before, if you require a true 5.1 surround system - then this bar is not for you.
However, to characterize this as junk, is just not in any way accurate. It's a compromise system for those that want a significant improvement over their tv sound, that don't want to deal with a lot of speakers/cables, and don't want to invest a lot of money into improving their sound. For people in that category, like myself - it does a very good job. It certainly exceeded my own expectations.
If anyone is considering this soundbar, I would recommend they purchase it somewhere where they can return it without any restocking fees, and form their own opinion - since that's the only one that counts.
Jeffj8 likes this.
barnburner is offline  
post #11 of 1019 Old 06-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
da1writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post

Well, I'm retired, and don't work for anybody.
As has been stated before, if you require a true 5.1 surround system - then this bar is not for you.
However, to characterize this as junk, is just not in any way accurate. It's a compromise system for those that want a significant improvement over their tv sound, that don't want to deal with a lot of speakers/cables, and don't want to invest a lot of money into improving their sound. For people in that category, like myself - it does a very good job. It certainly exceeded my own expectations.
If anyone is considering this soundbar, I would recommend they purchase it somewhere where they can return it without any restocking fees, and form their own opinion - since that's the only one that counts.

Don't worry too much about the few posters here, there are actually two groups of people in this world when it comes to sound systems. The full fledge system owners (5.1/7.1 setups) and you have us the soundbar owners. Sad thing is full fledge system owners like to throw mud in our faces all the time when it come to us who own a soundbar.

Some don't mind having wires all over place (hidden or not) and having to place speakers in certain area in the home but these people don't take into consideration to some of us who have a "weird layout" or prefer less clutter. some of us who ow soundbars bought them for a reason. I know some people who have their living room with no back wall or connects to the kitchen, a 5.1/7.1 full fledge setup IS NOT going to work, so a soundbar (or 2.1/3.1) is the only option. Some of us don't like clutter and have wives that prefer to not have wires all over the house or drilling holes in the wall (like my wife), so a soundbar seems more sensible.

What full fledge system owners don't know is that it is their opinion of soundbars sounding like "crap". I and many others will disagree though and are pleasantly surprised alot of times. Soundbars can at times sound amazing and get us to wonder where the sound is coming from around the room (my dog at times looks in the corner of my room on certain sounds from my soundbar). In all honesty, some can agree that some soundbars blur the line when it comes to sounding almost like a full fledge system, Yamaha's YSP's do this alot. But In my book, surround is surround, whether it comes from a full fledge system or a soundbar, both sound great to different users.

So it's best not to judge on our personal preference when it comes to these different types of sound systems. As mentioned before, some like soundbars and some like full fledge sound systems, it's our decision which one we like most.

Advice/side note: I think some full fledge sound system owners should give a soundbar, preferable a good one like the Yamaha YSP's, a try. As the saying goes...Don't knock it until you try it !

PSN- da1writer
My Sony CT-100 Settings (& PS3 Settings) *UPDATED 1/10/09*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
da1writer is offline  
post #12 of 1019 Old 06-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Member
 
barnburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One thing I've noticed, is that if you disable the sound leveler, you will get even better theatre like sound.
I use it on my dvds where I don't have to worry about commercials blaring, and it works really well.
barnburner is offline  
post #13 of 1019 Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Member
 
JRG3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey BarnBurner, thanks for the tip; I have noticed the same thing.

One other tip -- and this may apply only to VSB200 owners who have added a sub-woofer in conjunction with a Vizio TV -- but if you use the "Fixed" setting in the Analogue output setting instead of the "Variable", you will get a cleaner bass sound. With the variable setting you can control the volume of both the TV and the soundbar, however the sound is "boomier" and somewhat distorted.

Btw, has anyone tried the Optical input? I am currently using the RCA jacks for now but am considering trying out the other.

Thanks for your remarks.

Jim
JRG3 is offline  
post #14 of 1019 Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Member
 
barnburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG3 View Post

Hey BarnBurner, thanks for the tip; I have noticed the same thing.

One other tip -- and this may apply only to VSB200 owners who have added a sub-woofer in conjunction with a Vizio TV -- but if you use the "Fixed" setting in the Analogue output setting instead of the "Variable", you will get a cleaner bass sound. With the variable setting you can control the volume of both the TV and the soundbar, however the sound is "boomier" and somewhat distorted.

Btw, has anyone tried the Optical input? I am currently using the RCA jacks for now but am considering trying out the other.

Thanks for your remarks.

Jim

I don't have a subwoofer attached, but I agree that
using the "fixed" setting in the tv output gives a cleaner bass sound.

I'm going to order an optical cord next week.
I called visio support today, and told them I was considering getting an optical cord, but didn't want to do so, if it was basically going to be the same sound.
They assured me that it would be a noticeable improvement.
barnburner is offline  
post #15 of 1019 Old 06-20-2009, 03:07 AM
Member
 
jfpdjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's not about 5.1 or 7l1. It's about being ripped off. If soundbar systems were restaurants, this Vizio would be the dumpster behind McDonalds. If they were women, this thing is a plastic blow up doll. You can't even buy a decent remote control for $200.00 bucks and they present this piece of plastic with $2.50 worth of electronics built into it as a solution?

(maybe it's only $1.50. The 4 color box it came in actually cost more to produce)

I'm sick and tired of seeing honest people misled into throwing their money away on junk. Why not spend it on lottery tickets....you might get lucky and then you can buy a real system.

Of course, you could also rationalize one of these things as a toy instead of an actual piece of consumer electronics. You're 10 year old might find it acceptible as long as his friends don't laugh at him for owning a cheese stereo.
jfpdjp is offline  
post #16 of 1019 Old 06-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Member
 
JRG3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpdjp View Post

It's not about 5.1 or 7l1. It's about being ripped off. If soundbar systems were restaurants, this Vizio would be the dumpster behind McDonalds. If they were women, this thing is a plastic blow up doll. You can't even buy a decent remote control for $200.00 bucks and they present this piece of plastic with $2.50 worth of electronics built into it as a solution?

(maybe it's only $1.50. The 4 color box it came in actually cost more to produce)

I'm sick and tired of seeing honest people misled into throwing their money away on junk. Why not spend it on lottery tickets....you might get lucky and then you can buy a real system.

Of course, you could also rationalize one of these things as a toy instead of an actual piece of consumer electronics. You're 10 year old might find it acceptible as long as his friends don't laugh at him for owning a cheese stereo.

Do you have anything specific to add to the discussion, or do you just like to rain on our parade? So far, all we hear from you is diatribe without any substance. Here are the specs. What is it about the VSB200 that you object to?

FLAT PANEL SOUND BAR

*Speaker bar frequency response: 60Hz to 20kHz
*Integrated Class-D Amplifier at 20x2 channel with 0.01% THD
S/PDIF receiver for digital audio delivery
*102db Dynamic range
*Support for PCM input via TOSLINK input
*High Power Efficiency with Low Power Consumption
*Environmentally conscious

HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO PERFORMANCE

*High-Performance 32-Bit 150MHz DSP Audio Engine
*Impressive Sound Pressure Level measuring 98dB SPL max @ 1M
*Advanced 24-Bit Linear PCM to PWM Engine with integrated thermal,over-current, over voltage, over current protection
*Latest Virtualization & Volume Leveling Technology from SRS Labs
*SRS TruSurround HD virtual surround
*SRS TruVolume eliminates undesirable loud commercials and channel to channel variances

Maybe its all hyperbole.

It appears from some of your other posts that you are or have been a dealer in hi-tech audio stuff. Is it that the low cost of what appears to me to be some pretty sound electronics a threat to your rice bowl? Personally, I think the high-end equipment is over-priced. After all, its all made in Taiwan or some place like that.

Bottom line: It sounds pretty good to me, and that's what counts.
banditbalz and Jeffj8 like this.
JRG3 is offline  
post #17 of 1019 Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Member
 
barnburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpdjp View Post

It's not about 5.1 or 7l1. It's about being ripped off. If soundbar systems were restaurants, this Vizio would be the dumpster behind McDonalds. If they were women, this thing is a plastic blow up doll. You can't even buy a decent remote control for $200.00 bucks and they present this piece of plastic with $2.50 worth of electronics built into it as a solution?

(maybe it's only $1.50. The 4 color box it came in actually cost more to produce)

I'm sick and tired of seeing honest people misled into throwing their money away on junk. Why not spend it on lottery tickets....you might get lucky and then you can buy a real system.

Of course, you could also rationalize one of these things as a toy instead of an actual piece of consumer electronics. You're 10 year old might find it acceptible as long as his friends don't laugh at him for owning a cheese stereo.

I spent my money on it, and I don't feel "ripped off" at all. Everybody should buy what they want, what they are comfortable with.
Some people are going to very satisfied with this system.
Others are not.
I'm satisfied with everybody forming their own opinions and buying what pleases them.
I'm not sure I understand why that concept bothers you so much.
Do you really consider people to be that stupid, that they are not capable of deciding what THEY are happy with?
Must everybody share your audio eliteness??
I made my original post here for one reason - to offer my impressions to those that are looking for information on this product.
Your post seems to have been made with nothing but the idea that you are audio superior, and the rest of us are imbeciles wandering around in the dark.
To anybody that is considering a soundbar - do your homework, and satisfy yourself, because in the end - it is YOUR opinion that matters.
It's your money, and your satisfaction.
Decide for yourself, and enjoy whatever choice you make.
barnburner is offline  
post #18 of 1019 Old 06-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Member
 
blue comet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My thoughts are that if one had a 5.1 system getting used to many of these soundbars may be hard to do . the ony ones that come near a 5.1 system right now are the YSP's .. as da writer states, they blur the line.. if your just looking for an improvement over your tv speakers most of these soundbars will suffice... Again, its all up to the individual.. myslf, I wanted as close to a 5.1 system as I could find.. I wanted digital sound and the proper decoding of movie soundtracks so I purchased the YSP .. Its nice to have choices that are out there ...
blue comet is offline  
post #19 of 1019 Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Member
 
JRG3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Blue Comet,

I think you have well summarized what this thread is all about. These soundbars are NOT for folks looking for a genuine surround-sound experience. I had a Panasonic 5.1 for several years till it finally gave up the ghost. With this new TV, I just didn't want to have to go through all the hassle of running wires and installing wall mounts at just the right heighth to get the full-monty. I had the Panasonic sub-woofer left over from the previous sys, so the VSB200 was a cost effective way to get an enhanced audio experience, which at this point is sufficient. Plus, as noted previously, the TruVolume control is definitely a plus.
JRG3 is offline  
post #20 of 1019 Old 06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Member
 
jfpdjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JRG3

Thanks for showing me the specs. It's exactly what bothers me about Vizio, Walmart, etc., and the way products like that soundbar are marketed to consumers.

For example, they claim it has 102db of dynamic range and then say it's maximum output is 98db. Which is it? (it can't be both)

Here's what I meanIf it's power output is 20 watts, then 20db below that is equivalent to .2 watts. 20 db below that is .002 watts. 20 db below that is .00002 watts. At 60 db below maximum output, the product would be inaudible in an average room and yet they spew out this 102db dynamic range garbage in an effort to convince the consumer that the product has value.

What bothers me is the lie, the fact that the lie is used to sell it, and the fact that otherwise intelligent people like yourself may actually believe those numbers to the point where value appears to exceed price and you make a purchase because of a fraudulent statement.

If you've really read any of my other threads then you should know what I'm campaigning for is specification integrity. If you like the way it sounds then congratulations. The question I have is this: would you have bought it if they had printed the truth about what it is and what it does on that little sales card at Wal Mart?

Personally, I believe that 8, possibly even 9 out of 10 people would still buy the product. However, the one or two consumers who may have made a different decision have been cheated and the people (or product) with whom they might have chosen to do business with otherwise have been cheated as well.

At a $200.00 level it's no big deal. (Or is itif you're on a fixed income?) But at $500.00 or even a $1000.00, this trend of deception is significant.

Hardly a day goes by when you don't read about an elderly or retired couple who've been scammed out of a significant amount of money by some shyster. You may laugh when I say that specification embellishment in consumer electronics with the intent to influence consumer behavior is the same thingbut it is both in concept and in practice.

No right minded consumer should tolerate it.
jfpdjp is offline  
post #21 of 1019 Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
da1writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpdjp View Post

JRG3

Thanks for showing me the specs. It’s exactly what bothers me about Vizio, Walmart, etc., and the way products like that soundbar are marketed to consumers.

For example, they claim it has 102db of dynamic range and then say it’s maximum output is 98db. Which is it? (it can’t be both)

Here’s what I mean…If it’s power output is 20 watts, then 20db below that is equivalent to .2 watts. 20 db below that is .002 watts. 20 db below that is .00002 watts. At 60 db below maximum output, the product would be inaudible in an average room and yet they spew out this 102db dynamic range garbage in an effort to convince the consumer that the product has value.

What bothers me is the lie, the fact that the lie is used to sell it, and the fact that otherwise intelligent people like yourself may actually believe those numbers to the point where value appears to exceed price and you make a purchase because of a fraudulent statement.

If you’ve really read any of my other threads then you should know what I’m campaigning for is specification integrity. If you like the way it sounds then congratulations. The question I have is this: would you have bought it if they had printed the truth about what it is and what it does on that little sales card at Wal Mart?

Personally, I believe that 8, possibly even 9 out of 10 people would still buy the product. However, the one or two consumers who may have made a different decision have been cheated and the people (or product) with whom they might have chosen to do business with otherwise have been cheated as well.

At a $200.00 level it’s no big deal. (Or is it…if you’re on a fixed income?) But at $500.00 or even a $1000.00, this trend of deception is significant.

Hardly a day goes by when you don’t read about an elderly or retired couple who’ve been scammed out of a significant amount of money by some shyster. You may laugh when I say that specification embellishment in consumer electronics with the intent to influence consumer behavior is the same thing…but it is both in concept and in practice.

No right minded consumer should tolerate it.

God.... here we go again with the number crunching crap. Who cares, If a unit says it can do 100 watts, 500 watts, 1000 watts, 100000 watts, you know what NORMAL people are going to think. "Man, that's loud!" No one cares if 20 watts is really .2 watts, that's for people who have too much time on their hands and would rather pick a fight. Don't get me wrong, but take into consideration that some people rather not scrutinize everything that's on the market.

I mean there are people on this very forum who can't even tell the difference between Bluray and DVD, HD audio and Old Format (DD 5.1, DTS), High Definition and Standard, 720p and 1080p (or 1200p), BOSE and other sound equipment, full fledged systems and soundbars. You can spout this info about the differences and the "truth" until you are blue in the face (trust me, I've tried), some people JUST DON'T CARE.

If someone enjoys this soundbar or any sound equipment, that's all that matters really. I mean, I love my CT100 to death but I could care less about it's specs but more so of it's features. I like to give some leniency to some things and try out anything that sounds appealing to me. Some people like the vizio soundbars, some like the Yamaha soundbars, some like the Sony Soundbars, everyone is different and everyone has different tastes. Some people like certain things and some people don't, it's a matter of opinion. Do you think you ripping the Technical specs of a device to shreds is going to deviate me liking the equipment I bought?

The economy is in the crapper and more and more people are looking for bargains or affordable sound systems that sound good and fit their needs or are within their budget. Some look at the specs and features of some sound equipment and are wowed even more by the price. Flinging out thousands upon thousands of dollars on things isn't that easy anymore. Cheap doesn't always mean it's going to be crap or sound like crap, sometimes we are amazed of how great it sounds, especially for the price we paid.

So if the few people in this thread enjoy this vizio soundbar, I'm glad they like it. Maybe after my move, I might pick it up to see how it sounds. To those who might be rolling their eyes, I might even grab a Yamaha YSP to hear how it sounds in my own home as well. The comparisons alone already interest me !
banditbalz likes this.

PSN- da1writer
My Sony CT-100 Settings (& PS3 Settings) *UPDATED 1/10/09*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
da1writer is offline  
post #22 of 1019 Old 06-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Member
 
jfpdjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And you still can hear me singin' to the people who don't listen,
To the things that I am sayin', prayin' someone's gonna hear.
And I guess I'll die explaining how the things that they complain about,
Are things they could be changin', hopin' someone's gonna care.

I was born a lonely singer, and I'm bound to die the same,
But I've got to feed the hunger in my soul.
And if I never have a nickle, I won't ever die ashamed.
'Cos I don't believe that no-one wants to know

- Kris Kristofferson
jfpdjp is offline  
post #23 of 1019 Old 06-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Member
 
barnburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It was obvious to me from the start that the stats Visio was pushing, were designed to make it appear better than it is. That doesn't make them any different than any other business - they all do it.
That said - I tested it, and liked it - so I didn't care.

It is what it is - a simple, inexpensive alternative for people who prefer/need that option.

It's obviously not the equal of the more expensive sets, but, this much is undeniable.
It's a dramatic improvement over the sound from your widescreen tv, at a very inexpensive price.
barnburner is offline  
post #24 of 1019 Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
da1writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post

It was obvious to me from the start that the stats Visio was pushing, were designed to make it appear better than it is. That doesn't make them any different than any other business - they all do it.
That said - I tested it, and liked it - so I didn't care.

It is what it is - a simple, inexpensive alternative for people who prefer/need that option.

It's obviously not the equal of the more expensive sets, but, this much is undeniable.
It's a dramatic improvement over the sound from your widescreen tv, at a very inexpensive price.

Agreed and that's the point I was trying to make. If it sounds great to YOU, that's all that matters...
And anything is better than using the TV speakers !

PSN- da1writer
My Sony CT-100 Settings (& PS3 Settings) *UPDATED 1/10/09*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
da1writer is offline  
post #25 of 1019 Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Member
 
JRG3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok, I've owned this soundbar for a couple of weeks now and have come to some conclusions...

First of all, as has been noted elsewhere in this thread, it is a BIG improvement over the sound my Vizio SV470XVT (47" HDTV) gets. I picked up an optical cable a few days back and after some configurating (make sure TiVo and TV are set for PCM output) started getting sound. The difference is subtle but with the optical cable it sounds like the TruSurround is broader and there is more separation between frequencies - sounds have their own location in space. I think the bass got dampened but the balance is better over-all.

As much a fan of this unit that I am, I will state one annoyance I find pretty aggravating: the stupid light-bar system for turning the volume up and down, inputs and turning TRS, etc. on and off. They are dim, turn off after a few seconds and really make it difficult to tell whether the unit is on or off much less which features are running. I certainly would not have minded spending a few dollars more for some kind of LCD readout to tell which settings are currently activated. I am used to the aggravation by now -- after all, I only spent $150 on the unit...but there is a bit of a trade-off. It's not a deal-killer though by any means!
JRG3 is offline  
post #26 of 1019 Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
boswd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpdjp View Post

JRG3

Thanks for showing me the specs. It's exactly what bothers me about Vizio, Walmart, etc., and the way products like that soundbar are marketed to consumers.

For example, they claim it has 102db of dynamic range and then say it's maximum output is 98db. Which is it? (it can't be both)

Here's what I meanIf it's power output is 20 watts, then 20db below that is equivalent to .2 watts. 20 db below that is .002 watts. 20 db below that is .00002 watts. At 60 db below maximum output, the product would be inaudible in an average room and yet they spew out this 102db dynamic range garbage in an effort to convince the consumer that the product has value.

What bothers me is the lie, the fact that the lie is used to sell it, and the fact that otherwise intelligent people like yourself may actually believe those numbers to the point where value appears to exceed price and you make a purchase because of a fraudulent statement.

If you've really read any of my other threads then you should know what I'm campaigning for is specification integrity. If you like the way it sounds then congratulations. The question I have is this: would you have bought it if they had printed the truth about what it is and what it does on that little sales card at Wal Mart?

Personally, I believe that 8, possibly even 9 out of 10 people would still buy the product. However, the one or two consumers who may have made a different decision have been cheated and the people (or product) with whom they might have chosen to do business with otherwise have been cheated as well.

At a $200.00 level it's no big deal. (Or is itif you're on a fixed income?) But at $500.00 or even a $1000.00, this trend of deception is significant.

Hardly a day goes by when you don't read about an elderly or retired couple who've been scammed out of a significant amount of money by some shyster. You may laugh when I say that specification embellishment in consumer electronics with the intent to influence consumer behavior is the same thingbut it is both in concept and in practice.

No right minded consumer should tolerate it.



Who troll's soundbars? That is just very weird. You are trolling a sound bar thread. Just step back for a moment and think about it for a second and ask yourself, "Do normal rational people do these type of things"
banditbalz likes this.
boswd is offline  
post #27 of 1019 Old 06-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Member
 
barnburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG3 View Post

Ok, I've owned this soundbar for a couple of weeks now and have come to some conclusions...

First of all, as has been noted elsewhere in this thread, it is a BIG improvement over the sound my Vizio SV470XVT (47" HDTV) gets. I picked up an optical cable a few days back and after some configurating (make sure TiVo and TV are set for PCM output) started getting sound. The difference is subtle but with the optical cable it sounds like the TruSurround is broader and there is more separation between frequencies - sounds have their own location in space. I think the bass got dampened but the balance is better over-all.

As much a fan of this unit that I am, I will state one annoyance I find pretty aggravating: the stupid light-bar system for turning the volume up and down, inputs and turning TRS, etc. on and off. They are dim, turn off after a few seconds and really make it difficult to tell whether the unit is on or off much less which features are running. I certainly would not have minded spending a few dollars more for some kind of LCD readout to tell which settings are currently activated. I am used to the aggravation by now -- after all, I only spent $150 on the unit...but there is a bit of a trade-off. It's not a deal-killer though by any means!

I share your aggravation over the poor readout system. I've become used to it, but I would gladly have paid another $20 to have a better readout.
Other than that however, I have no complaints, and would make the same choice again.
Glad to hear your experience with the optical cable.
I was going to buy one, but the prices in the stores is absoutely idiotic. I'll probably order one online.
barnburner is offline  
post #28 of 1019 Old 06-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Member
 
JRG3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Re: Optical cable, don't expect a dramatic difference. There IS a difference, some enhancement. Maybe its all in my mind. Hehe...that would be a first ;-) But would be interested in anyone else's experience with optical cables vs. RCA.

Anyway, here's one on eBay for $4.99:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-FT-6ft-Digital...3A1%7C294%3A30

This is where I got mine.
JRG3 is offline  
post #29 of 1019 Old 06-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Newbie
 
fishhead19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have anyone of you with this sound bar tried it on any gaming systems? I'm looking for something to connect my PS3 to because I am sick of the scratchy sound coming from my TV speakers. Thanks.
fishhead19 is offline  
post #30 of 1019 Old 06-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Member
 
barnburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead19 View Post

Have anyone of you with this sound bar tried it on any gaming systems? I'm looking for something to connect my PS3 to because I am sick of the scratchy sound coming from my TV speakers. Thanks.

I don't have a gaming system, but I have to believe this would be a definite improvement over your tv.
Buy it someplace where you can return it without any restocking fees, and give it a try. Only takes a minute to hook it up, and you will know either way.
barnburner is offline  
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off