Within another thread elsewhere on this forum, I provided the following info. But I think I might get more responses if I just started a new thread here. If this is inappropriate, then I'll delete this thread.
Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether to get a 5.1 or soundbar for my family room. I think that a 7.1 won't work because of the layout, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Pacing off steps, I counted about 21' by 21'. But because the sectional is large, I only have about 1 foot to the right side before running into the wall. And because a window is on that side, a speaker might have to be mounted high, or instead, just in the rear corner of that room. And as you will see, the other side of the room has limits because of several doors. I would rather not have a speaker in the middle of the room on that side, though a speaker could be in the rear corner, or directly behind that side of the sofa.
You'll also see another area where a tv could be placed, but it is not ideal.
1. This is a view from a staircase that is open to the room (and leads to a kitchen).
2. This is a view taken just to the right of that staircase, now facing my new 50" Panny. (Note, I have ordered a tv stand. What you see is temporary.) This basically shows that entire wall. Unseen and to the left is a door to the garage.
3. This photo was taken while I was standing beside the tv. Note, you can see here a bathroom door and, next to that, a little nook area. Original owners had some kind of stereo or perhaps tv setup there. The piano is just temporary and will eventually be removed. One possibility is that I move the tv there. But because the wall that nook area shares with the bathroom juts out a bit, I don't really like placing the tv there. And my wife doesn't love the idea of turning the sofa around so that it faces the bathroom.
4. This shot was taken directly behind the tv, facing the rear wall. Again, that furniture in the back will probably get moved to another room. Behind the shutters is a glass, sliding door. You can basically see the entire length of the wall.
5.This is basically the same angle as photo 3.
6. I took this shot while next to that big piece of furniture that is seen in photo 4, obviously facing the tv.
7. This is shot of the nook area, next to a doorway which leads downstairs to a laundry area. And you can see the stairway to the kitchen here too.
8. Finally, one more view of the right side of the room. Here you can see that there is not much space between the sectional and the window, which I think would make placement of a side speaker a real problem.
Based on these photos, does anyone have a view what type of setup is best? I think my choices are 5.1 or a soundbar.
Thanks for any input.