5.1 or soundbar for my room? photos included - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Within another thread elsewhere on this forum, I provided the following info. But I think I might get more responses if I just started a new thread here. If this is inappropriate, then I'll delete this thread.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether to get a 5.1 or soundbar for my family room. I think that a 7.1 won't work because of the layout, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Pacing off steps, I counted about 21' by 21'. But because the sectional is large, I only have about 1 foot to the right side before running into the wall. And because a window is on that side, a speaker might have to be mounted high, or instead, just in the rear corner of that room. And as you will see, the other side of the room has limits because of several doors. I would rather not have a speaker in the middle of the room on that side, though a speaker could be in the rear corner, or directly behind that side of the sofa.

You'll also see another area where a tv could be placed, but it is not ideal.

1. This is a view from a staircase that is open to the room (and leads to a kitchen).

2. This is a view taken just to the right of that staircase, now facing my new 50" Panny. (Note, I have ordered a tv stand. What you see is temporary.) This basically shows that entire wall. Unseen and to the left is a door to the garage.

3. This photo was taken while I was standing beside the tv. Note, you can see here a bathroom door and, next to that, a little nook area. Original owners had some kind of stereo or perhaps tv setup there. The piano is just temporary and will eventually be removed. One possibility is that I move the tv there. But because the wall that nook area shares with the bathroom juts out a bit, I don't really like placing the tv there. And my wife doesn't love the idea of turning the sofa around so that it faces the bathroom.

4. This shot was taken directly behind the tv, facing the rear wall. Again, that furniture in the back will probably get moved to another room. Behind the shutters is a glass, sliding door. You can basically see the entire length of the wall.

5.This is basically the same angle as photo 3.

6. I took this shot while next to that big piece of furniture that is seen in photo 4, obviously facing the tv.

7. This is shot of the nook area, next to a doorway which leads downstairs to a laundry area. And you can see the stairway to the kitchen here too.

8. Finally, one more view of the right side of the room. Here you can see that there is not much space between the sectional and the window, which I think would make placement of a side speaker a real problem.

Based on these photos, does anyone have a view what type of setup is best? I think my choices are 5.1 or a soundbar.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The thread is fine.

Are you planning on wall mounting the tv? This would make your system look and sound better if you go with a 3-in-1 sound bar.

My suggestion is:

Mount the tv on the wall using a flat wall mount. Use a soundbar (left, center,right) wall mounted below the tv. Place wall mounted surround speakers in the high, back corners of the room facing towards the listening position. Subwoofer would be your choice but to the right of the tv bookcase looks good.

You haven't given us a budget so I can't suggest any brands for you.

I hope this helps.
post #3 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

We just purchased this unit (or something like it) from Best Buy.

I forgot to mention a budget because I was more focused on the preliminary issue of what type of setup to get. But since you ask, I would prefer not to spend more than $700 (and would probably be more comfortable with spending $500-600 to be honest).
post #4 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

Use a soundbar (left, center,right) wall mounted below the tv. Place wall mounted surround speakers in the high, back corners of the room facing towards the listening position. Subwoofer would be your choice but to the right of the tv bookcase looks good.

I think I'm confused about the terminology. Somewhere else here, I recently asked (I think in the CT-100 thread) whether it's possible to add speakers to a soundbar, and someone gave me an emphatic no, stating that you can never add to soundbars.

Do you mean something other than a CT-100 type of thing when you say "soundbar"?
post #5 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I would not put a soundbar in that room - or any other room for that matter. Soundbars are for people too lazy to properly place speakers - or uncaring about good sound.

You have more than enough room for a pair of 2 way towers or even some good bookshelf speakers - they don't have to be big. Add a center channel and a sub and it'll sound better than any soundbar ever could.

Since your budget is constrained I suggest you take a look at buying ID - Internet Direct - from companies like HSU - SVS - eD and AV123 DOT com.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

You have more than enough room for a pair of 2 way towers or even some good bookshelf speakers - they don't have to be big. Add a center channel and a sub and it'll sound better than any soundbar ever could.

OK, but where would the towers or bookshelf speakers be placed? Given the layout, would it be best to put such speakers in the rear corners of the room?
post #7 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
I would do two channel before I did a soundbar, but that's just my personal preference. I'd rather have really good two channel performance than a compromised version of surround. Depends on you though.

So I'd do either a strict 2 channel or 2 channel with a sub, and add the other pieces later if you'd like.
post #8 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

I would do two channel before I did a soundbar, but that's just my personal preference. I'd rather have really good two channel performance than a compromised version of surround. Depends on you though.

So I'd do either a strict 2 channel or 2 channel with a sub, and add the other pieces later if you'd like.

If I start with 2 channels, would my choice of speaker change if I was considering adding on later?

In other words, are some speakers best for 2 channel w/ or w/out a sub, while other speakers would be better as part of a 5.1 or greater system? Or are "speakers simply speakers"?
post #9 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
look for some speakers as suggested above that fit your budget. If you can swing the 3 fronts and a sub great, if not maybe start with FL/FR and sub but get fronts that will allow you to buy just one so you can add the center when you can afford it. It would be good to finish it off with two more in the back corners as well when money is available. Try to buy speakers that you know you will be able to get more of down the road so they will all match when you are done. This is almost as important as what speakers you choose.

ÂThe cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the seaÂ
post #10 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Please don't confuse my use of the word "soundbar" with surround bar.

I had in mind the Triad LCR3.0 which has left, center and right speakers in 1 cabinet.

NOT something like a Yamaha DSP bar which does quasi-surround from 1 location.

Yes, you do have enough room for tower speakers but since you haven't given a budget, what looks you want, or any other type of prerequisite, it is extremely hard to help you.

In reality, there are many ways you can do a surround system if you are willing to move/change things around. Are the bookcases permanent? Do you have a significant other that has a say? Do you want to wall mount the tv? How much of you viewing is for movies? Games? TV? Do you live in an area that has A/V dealers? What have you listened to? etc. etc. etc.

It looks like a lower level of a house so you could run rear speaker wires along the right hand baseboard and hide them in a cabletrack like you can find at Home Depot, so having real rear speakers can be done realitively easy. But to make any informed recommendations, we need to be informed in the first place.
post #11 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynton View Post

If I start with 2 channels, would my choice of speaker change if I was considering adding on later?

In other words, are some speakers best for 2 channel w/ or w/out a sub, while other speakers would be better as part of a 5.1 or greater system? Or are "speakers simply speakers"?

Generally, good speakers are good speakers, but because not all speakers are well rounded, there are some things to keep in mind. For one, some speakers don't produce very much bass without the aid of a subwoofer. You wouldn't want to use these speakers in a 2.0 system. On the other hand, some speakers in a 2.0 system could produce more bass and better sound than a 2.1 system that costs the same but has the money spread around three pieces instead of two. So basically you just have to compare specific implementations and see what sounds best for your money.

Keep in mind that even speakers that sound pretty good as a 2.0 system can be paired with a sub later. Heck, even most $10k speakers benefit from the use of a sub for home theater.

I hate to state a general rule of thumb, because these days it depends more on the specific products you are comparing. iFor makes a good point above that some soundbars are really hi-end. But I would say generally a small satellite speaker that is generally paired with a sub should not be run 2.0 unless it has good bass response on its own.
post #12 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I forgot to mention a budget because I was more focused on the preliminary issue of what type of setup to get. But since you ask, I would prefer not to spend more than $700 (and would probably be more comfortable with spending $500-600 to be honest).

Sorry, I did not see this in your post earlier.

This budget unfortunatley closes doors to alot of options. You can still run rear speakers with the suggestion I posted.

Maybe try the Klipsch HD300 system or the Energy Take Classic system, both of which, retails for $400 leaving you some money for a reciever. Maybe the Yamaha RX-V363 for $189, the Sony STR-DH500 for $199 or the Pioneer VSX-519V-K for $199

With a budget of $700, you will have $100 for speaker wire, a couple of wall brackets for the rear speakers and other things you might need.
post #13 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I just checked the Klipsch website, the HD systems come with wall mount backets and a center cradle.
post #14 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Btw, that is also why I would consider going 2.1 instead of 5.1, because you can put double the money towards the speakers, as you only need 3 pieces instead of 6 (not to mention less wire, stands / brackets, etc.) However, some people don't want to give up true surround and a dedicated center, so each route is worth considering.

If you do go the 5.1 route, I'll second the recommendation for the Energy Take 5 system. Someone mentioned to me the DCM Cinema2 was also very good, but I've only heard the Energy.
post #15 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 446
I have to agree with some of the suggestions here, if you want good sound, you will have to stick with 2 channel for now, and build your system as more money permits. There are options to get a full surround sound system right away on $700, but it won't sound mind-blowing. I say build it piece by piece, and in the end you will have something to make the neighbors envious.

Here's how I would start:
Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver 90 watts X 7, $383.13 not including shipping
Infinity Primus P362 Tower speakers For the money, you can not do better, just look at the huge thread devoted to these. $123.81 per speaker, so about $250 a pair, not including shipping.

I would get that receiver because you have a lot of room to grow with that thing, and it is not underpowered so you start off with a bang, especially at that price. The Primus speakers are terrific towers which are competitive with speakers many times their regular cost, and the discount that I found up there makes it a incredible value. And, because they are towers, they have decent bass, so you won't need to get a subwoofer right away. They will fill your room with a nice, clean, crisp sound- more so than soundbars or a bunch of dingy satellites.
There are other good receivers and towers that people here can recommend, that is just something I came up with off the top of my head which is roughly $700 (probably just a little bit more after shipping).

The nice part about something like that is you would already have a good system, and it is just the beginning. After that you can get a subwoofer, then a center, and then some surrounds. You don't have to buy it all at once, you have time to save up and to figure out where you want to go with it next. Or you might just decide that is good enough and stay there, because that alone is very good. But to me, the fun part is building up the system piece by piece. And when you are finished you will have a setup that will absolutely rock your face off.
post #16 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
IF he is going to be doing any reasonable amount of movie watching he is going to want a 3.1 over a 2.1. A dedicated center channel is pretty much a neccesity in a movie watching setup. If you're mainly a music listener or sports watcher, it would do you little to no good.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #17 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

The room is small enough to take advantage of a surround system within the budget.

Review in this person's 20' x 16' x 10' room (larger than the OP's room),
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...ke_classic.htm

Another,
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...classic-review

And,
http://hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/608energy/
post #18 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 AM

I would suggest the Sony 3.1 sound bar system for your room. If you would like to go with floor standing speakers then go for Polk TSI300 and get a Polk center channel speaker. A 3.1 system would be perfect for your room. It also depends on the look you want in that room - sound bar or floor standing.
post #19 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for all the advice. I will definitely study each option proposed (and any others that might still be suggested).

FWIW, I expect to use the room mostly for watching movies and sports. My son plays a few video games, but he really is not that particular (and he'll be away to college in several years anyway). I would only listen to music there while exercising, perhaps through an ipod deck, if at all.

One more question: keeping in mind that I am not a real audiophile, should I consider wireless speakers? Or is the quality so much worse that they are ill-advised?
post #20 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by H/Kthunder View Post

I would suggest the Sony 3.1 sound bar system for your room.

At what size room would you say that such a system no longer makes sense?

I've noticed that some have complained that the Sony CT-100 lacks sufficient volume for their particular rooms. This doesn't concern me much because I've never been that into high volume for volume-sake anyway. But I would like to achieve a nice, surround sound.

One possibility that I may have mentioned is to buy the CT-100 and, if I'm unhappy with it, move it to my bedroom. Only problem is that I will then be expanding my budget (which is probably going to happen anyway).
post #21 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

+1

Find a great set of stereo and a matching sub and build as money/space permits.

Dont waste time/money on a sound bar...IMO
post #22 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:

At what size room would you say that such a system no longer makes sense?

I've noticed that some have complained that the Sony CT-100 lacks sufficient volume for their particular rooms. This doesn't concern me much because I've never been that into high volume for volume-sake anyway. But I would like to achieve a nice, surround sound.

One possibility that I may have mentioned is to buy the CT-100 and, if I'm unhappy with it, move it to my bedroom. Only problem is that I will then be expanding my budget (which is probably going to happen anyway).

By looking at the pictures of your room. I'd say its decent sized room for a sound bar system if you choose to go that route. A room bigger than that wouldn't be good for a sound bar. Some would not recommend a sound bar system but i would say its a decent surround experience for movies and such. It depends on how much the sound is important to you.
post #23 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
He should get an entry level yamaha receiver and an Insignia NSHT51 speaker set from best buy and not use the rears. He can at least have 3.1 and reasonably detailed sound from speakers that beat others in its price range.

The deceptively cheap Insignia system sounds much more detailed and less muffled than the open box Polk sub sattelite system, the salesman at best buytried to swindle me into getting.

He could mount the rears on seiling brackets and fun flat white speaker wire up the ceiling concealed in raceways.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #24 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

So, another question just occurred to me; hopefully, someone is still reading this thread to answer.

In the first and sixth photos, you can see wires hanging from high on the wall, left there from the former owner. Apparently, that owner had the tv set up across from that wall, where the piano is now sitting, a configuration we don't like.

But now I'm thinking that I can take advantage of those wires, or at least use that placement for 2 speakers (should I go for a 5.1 system). But the problem is that I'm not sure whether the other 2 opposite speakers would go.

More specifically, I understand the other rear speaker could go on the opposite corner of the room. But there isn't an exact, equidistant match for the other speaker. If you look at photo 7, the closest I can come to an equal distance would be on either side of the door (which leads down a few steps).

So, I guess my question is two-fold:

(1) Should I care much if the front speaker on the right is about 1 foot closer to the main sitting spot than the front speaker on the left?
(2) Would the sound be good if I have 2 bookshelf speakers placed above me, for the front speakers? Is there a drawback to having all speakers (aside from the center speaker and sub) at the ceiling level?
post #25 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I would not even consider that Sony soundbar. It has three 1.5 speakers inside the bar and 5 subwooferor something pathetic like that. Really, you'll be sorely disappointed.

My first choice would be to start with 2.1, like suggested above, and build from there. You don't need a center channel but you'd need to make sure it's a speaker line that will continue to be manufactured if you wanted to eventually get one. It's fine watching movies in 2.1 and with good speakers it's great. Speakers are one of those things that should last a long time - so why not start out with quality speakers that look and sound good?

Although, you might either just want to get it over with or aren't interested in spending more than your budget, even over time, to build something little by little. wwstereo has a C-50 set with a Yamaha receiver around your budget: http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...io/11/144823//
or, if you wanted to get your own receiver, the speaker set is sold by itself: http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._84__0_0_0_-1/
You could get a Harman Kardon AVR-254 from their eBay store for about $200.
post #26 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

I am getting persuaded to just bite the bullet and go for a 5.1 system, perhaps the Energy C series. I think I would rather get all pieces right deal with all wiring issues now, than add on later.

Any more comments about speaker placement? Specifically, does it matter if the front and rear speakers are all near the ceiling, rather than have the front speakers at ear level? And does it matter if one of the front speakers is 1-2 feet further away from the center of the listening area than the other front speaker?
post #27 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am getting persuaded to just bite the bullet and go for a 5.1 system, perhaps the Energy C series. I think I would rather get all pieces right deal with all wiring issues now, than add on later.

Any more comments about speaker placement? Specifically, does it matter if the front and rear speakers are all near the ceiling, rather than have the front speakers at ear level? And does it matter if one of the front speakers is 1-2 feet further away from the center of the listening area than the other front speaker?

For many speakers, you want the tweeter at ear level or near it. (exact height depends on speaker and room). However, when that is not possible, you basically point the speaker to achieve the desired axis.

Is there a reason you have to mount the front speakers so high? Is this to use preexisting speaker wiring? You could use stands , mount them lower on the wall, or even put them on a shelf. I think I see some preexisting wiring in the far front right and top of the room, but to be honest, this isn't a great place to put the front right speaker. You'd be paying money for a speaker and then not letting it do its job.

My advice is that if you have to compromise due to aesthetics or otherwise, is to do it with the rear speakers. The fronts are more important and you can still place them unobtrusively in the room due to the small size of the Energy speakers. It's okay for the rear speakers to be a little higher.

Here is an article on speaker placement:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uzrfxAo...placement.html

As for a left or right speaker being further way from center as the opposite pair, this isn't ideal either, but to some extent you can compensate using the balance / level controls in your receiver. If the distances are drastically different though, the receiver options won't be enough.

It's tough building an HT in a living room!
post #28 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

I just noticed this information from Energy's website, concerning the placement of speakers in the Take Classic:

Quote:

For left or right front channels, the distance between the speakers should be 6-8 feet at minimum for the best stereo imaging. The optimum room shape is rectangular, with the speakers along one of the shorter walls, facing the opposite side. If possible, do not place speakers against a wall or at rear of a bookshelf; corner placement is usually the worst option. Try to keep the speakersespecially rear vented modelsat least two feet from the surface behind it, unless you use a vent plug. For best results mounting on a rear wall, position the speakers so they flank the main listening area and point toward the front of the room. They should be raised to a height of approximately six feet and should ideally have a space of six feet between them.

This concerns me. They say the optimum placement is not in the corners, as I was contemplating (and as some recommended here) for the rear speakers. Also, they say do not place against a wall, but keep at least 2 feet in front of the wall.

How important is it that such advice be followed (whether I use this system or something else)?
post #29 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

Is there a reason you have to mount the front speakers so high? Is this to use preexisting speaker wiring? You could use stands , mount them lower on the wall, or even put them on a shelf. I think I see some preexisting wiring in the far front right and top of the room, but to be honest, this isn't a great place to put the front right speaker.

Yes, it was mostly to take advantage of some preexisting speaker wire, but also because I thought it might be preferable to get more of an angle.

I could just put the speakers on stands, a few feet on either side from the tv, facing the listeners directly. It might be cumbersome, though, if I wanted the speakers to be facing the listeners at much of an angle.

I'll read that article now.
post #30 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Ideally, you want the front 3 speakers around the same height or close to it. If you are going to place the center on the stand you bought, I would place the left and right speakers in the cabinet, but have the front of the speakers face, placed to the front of the cabinet, so the cabinet will not affect the sound as much as possible. The rears are fine to place in the rear corners, although I would move the large armoire so it doesn't interfere with the speaker sound.
Again, face the speakers towards the listening area.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page