Floor placement of soundbars? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im very interested in getting a sound bar (Yamaha-YSP-4000BL and the like, probably cheaper :-) ) under my Samsung PN50B850 (whose sound is questionable).

The samsung is wall mounted above a fireplace and there isn't much room for the sound bar (and esthetically around the plasma would be bad, since thats about 2" off the wall in total ). So the only place it could really go is at the base of the fireplace (about 4' under the plasma).

Does "floor" standing hurt the effects of the units in any substantial way? e.g. are they relying on being at ear height? I wonder is tilting them slightly upwards would also make them unworkable. Any better or worse soundbar recommendations for such a placement?

Thanks
Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I would hazard a guess that placing a soundbar near the floor and that far away from the TV will give you a "remote speaker" with no sound field simulation and probably will sound no better than your existing TV speakers. To work at all, a sound bar needs to bounce sound off of walls and use digital delay circuitry to create a sound field which hopefully will sound "fuller and wider" than just the typical stereo speakers within the TV. On the floor or sitting near a hearth, nada !
post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It also best to have ANY soundbar directly near ear level as well, that way it avoids less clutter around the room but also allows the beams/sound to hit you where it counts, the ears. You will also experience a better surround because your ears will hear it alot better because it's near the level where it matters most. Your feet, legs, or torso are not what is suppose to be enjoying the game or movie, it's your ears that are important - make the soundbar produce it's sound almost near your ear-level.

PSN- da1writer
My Sony CT-100 Settings (& PS3 Settings) *UPDATED 1/10/09*
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15172017
post #4 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have my YSP only 1' off the ground placed on my tv stand.. sounds great.. Yamaha does not recommend it on the floor. when I did the auto setup I placed the mic at listening level.. after running this and then checking the specs I see in the measurements that the system compenasted for my placement.. given the unit some "breathing room" from the front and sides is just as important..
post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Yes, I realize the BEST place is ear height Its just not possible with the arrangement of fireplace and plasma.

I guess overall I'm just after better sound (its terrible from the samsung to be honest compared to my old pioneer kuro) and any additional sound stage would be a plus (of course I'd LOVE full surround, but wiring is out).

The main "watching" sofa is against the back wall (windows), the left wall is kind of not there (staircase) and the right is a sofa and windows too (ceiling about 20' high). Imagine a 16' open plan double height room with an the LHS somewhat open to the rest of the house...

I wonder if the small Sony soundbar is the best I can manage (limit of 37" wide too) given these limits - although I'd love to get the best that makes sense in there.

Jonathan
post #6 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotter View Post

I guess overall I'm just after better sound (its terrible from the samsung to be honest compared to my old pioneer kuro)
Jonathan

I have to agree, I miss the sound from my Kuro 6020 as well, the onboard fake surround of the Pioneer plasma's is not to bad, and the fact that the Pioneer's have a sub output is really nice.

Too bad other panel makers dont include a subwofter output.

Cheers
Davyo
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page