Wireless 5.1 or soundbar or something else for small media room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Samsung LN-T4061F HDTV and a Samsung BD-P3600 Blu-ray Player and a small media room: 10'4" by 11'9". What would be best to purchase to complete my surround sound experience - a 5.1 or a sound bar or something else? I also want to connect my Wii and ideally be able to connect my iPod/iPhone. A sales associate at Best Buy told me this afternoon that the Samsung HTX810T would be be a good choice for my scenario, but I read mixed reviews earlier tonight. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get here - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

I was thinking some version of a Home Theater in a Box as well, but that BB associate didn't listen, or you didn't tell him all the details. That system he recommended comes with an upconvert DVD player, which you don't need. The tough part here though is, most of the HTIBs are going to have a DVD player integrated with the system. I would be looking for a 5.1 HTIB, if your budget is tighter.

If you have a little money to spend, then you can pull off a 5.1 system just fine for that room. You just won't need as much power as some of the people here, and maybe won't need 3 foot tall towers at the front of the room and dual 15 inch subs or anything along those lines.

Just cause you have a small room, doesn't mean you can't have a complete system.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
post #3 of 7 Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

jpdeuce, thank you so very much for taking the time/effort to so promptly/thoroughly reply to my inquiry.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2009, 12:09 PM

How about something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-NA-_-NA-_-NA

Onkyo 7.1 HTIB without a dvd player but has a pretty nice receiver that does HDMI switching. $500 all together, which is probably less than a high end sound bar and will likely sound better.

EDIT: It even comes with a free ipod dock! That's great news for you as well.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros View Post

How about something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-NA-_-NA-_-NA

Onkyo 7.1 HTIB without a dvd player but has a pretty nice receiver that does HDMI switching. $500 all together, which is probably less than a high end sound bar ans will likely sound better.

EDIT: It even comes with a free ipod dock! That's great news for you as well.

Nice find, that looks like a pretty decent setup.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
post #6 of 7 Old 07-26-2009, 02:16 PM

I have a Yamaha soundbar, YSP-4000 on order (no separate receiver required). It's their top model, but is 2-years old. It has the best sound out there, according to posts here, but it has 2 issues: no 5.1 or 7.1 sound can be input and you may have to input some options every time you use it.

Here is the best AVS Forum thread on the YSP-4000: Just got my Yamaha YSP 4000!!

KRP diem [kahr-pe dee-em] Latin. seize the KRP; enjoy the present, as opposed to placing all hope in the future.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I would IMO not use a sound bar unless you have no other option. You are compromising on your sound when going with a sound bar. I have heard the Polk surround bar option and it is satisfactory, but it is not like true/actual surround sound. I have looked hard at my options for my media room as well and have considered the Onkyo system listed in the above post. Depending on what your budget is you could easily purchase a receiver and surround speakers and get performance better than an HTiB. Typically the weak spot of a HTiB is the speakers.

FWIW here is what I'm leaning heavily towards in my media room which is approximately 13.5 x 13.5.

Onkyo 806 Clickie
and
Klipsch HDT 500 speaker system Clickie

Might not be your cup of tea, but does give you some other options to look at as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page