Living room layout - sound bar setup advice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for some advice on surround sound in my rather small living room. It is a bit of a weird open layout so I thought I'd draw it up real quick in PowerPoint. See attached image.

I'm thinking of getting a Sony HT-CT500 sound bar and mounting in the back of my media niche above my 50" Plasma, which would put it at ~8.5 ft high. I know to get the surround effect from one of these sound bars you are supposed to have walls for the sound to bounce off of, but I'm not sure if I'll accomplish this with my room layout (perhaps the "walls" of the media niche will help direct the sound properly??). I have never had a sound bar before and am not an audiophile so I'm looking here for advice before I go ahead with this purchase and set-up plan. Also, I was planning to put the subwoofer in the back of the niche next to the TV, since all of the inputs for the components are on the sub. Obviously my room set up is not conducive to a proper 5.1/7.1 setup so I'm trying to make do with what I have while still having at least mediocre home theater audio quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 269
This is an LCR "soundbar", not a "surroundbar". As such, it is just the front 3 speakers. It does not have any surround capability, nor does it bounce sound off the walls.

It will work acceptably in your niche, but it will work better if you move it as far forward as possible to reduce the influence of the niche on the sound.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page