Low volume on Sony HT-CT100 Sound Bar (specially with 5.1 channel audio) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

I'm using Plex 0.8.2 on Mac OS X 10.5.7 and have it hooked up to a Sony HT-CT100 Sound Bar using a Toslink to Mini M/M OD:5.0mm, Molded Type - 6ft [monoprice/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2] cable bought off Monoprice.

I have a lot of 1080p high definition MKVs with 5.1 channel audio in my collection. Whenever I play any of those movies, the volume of the vocals is so low they're almost imperceptible. The rest of the sounds (music, background score, sound effects, etc.) are generally quite loud (sometimes deafeningly so). I've tried changing the settings on the speaker system itself and nothing has worked.

It's worth noting that movies with 2.1 channel audio always play loudly enough, and so does music. I know that it's not a problem with my 1080p MKVs because when I play the same movies on my system through a cheap set of 2.1 speakers (owned by my friend), they're always loud and clear.

I'd initially thought it was a problem with Plex but I've come to realise that that isn't the case. The problem occurs only when I connect my sound bar and persists across iTunes and QuickTime Player as well. I've tried Googling for a solution but haven't been able to find any solution on my own.

So this is an earnest plea for help. I have very little knowledge about anything to do with sound and spent a lot of money on buying this sound bar and getting it legally imported into India. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong because there is just no way such an expensive and well regarded piece of equipment can have such a major flaw. Please advise me on how to go about trying to fix this.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

Hello.

I'm using Plex 0.8.2 on Mac OS X 10.5.7 and have it hooked up to a Sony HT-CT100 Sound Bar using a Toslink to Mini M/M OD:5.0mm, Molded Type - 6ft [monoprice/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2] cable bought off Monoprice.

I have a lot of 1080p high definition MKVs with 5.1 channel audio in my collection. Whenever I play any of those movies, the volume of the vocals is so low they're almost imperceptible. The rest of the sounds (music, background score, sound effects, etc.) are generally quite loud (sometimes deafeningly so). I've tried changing the settings on the speaker system itself and nothing has worked.

It's worth noting that movies with 2.1 channel audio always play loudly enough, and so does music. I know that it's not a problem with my 1080p MKVs because when I play the same movies on my system through a cheap set of 2.1 speakers (owned by my friend), they're always loud and clear.

I'd initially thought it was a problem with Plex but I've come to realise that that isn't the case. The problem occurs only when I connect my sound bar and persists across iTunes and QuickTime Player as well. I've tried Googling for a solution but haven't been able to find any solution on my own.

So this is an earnest plea for help. I have very little knowledge about anything to do with sound and spent a lot of money on buying this sound bar and getting it legally imported into India. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong because there is just no way such an expensive and well regarded piece of equipment can have such a major flaw. Please advise me on how to go about trying to fix this.

Thank you.

Hello If i may ask, you mentioned you have changed the settings on the speaker system itself. Have you changed the settings on both the mac and the sound bar?
post #3 of 6 Old 09-02-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

What settings would I change on the Mac? I keep the volume at maximum (and that doesn't matter anyway because the volume control is entirely handed over to the speakers as soon as I plug them in) and that's about it. When I use those cheap 2.1 speakers with the same settings on the Mac, they pump out pretty decent volume.

Do you have any settings in mind which I ought to change?
post #4 of 6 Old 09-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Liked: 13
5.1 audio is configured in the Audio MIDI Setup app; Apps>Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup.

If that doesn't work, have you had a look at the instructions in the AMS Help menu on Configuring speakers for multichannel outputs?

-Monoprice_01
post #5 of 6 Old 09-03-2009, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Audio MIDI Setup doesn't give me an option to configure Digital Out, like the Help documentation says it should.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I had a chat with the Sony support executives and they suggested that using a 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable instead of the one I’m currently using will solve the problem. Is there any merit to this solution or are they just trying to pass the blame onto everything but the speaker system?
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page