Soundbar system advice - Sony HT-CT500 vs HT-CT100 vs Yamaha yas 71 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 01-17-2010, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Playing Uncharted 2 with this thing on loud is effin' GREAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEhk48nI0Ho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Another hint, with any soundbar place it at or above ear level, a soundbar sitting on a table below a display most of the time will sound like crap, ANY soundbar really needs to be mounted or placed higher to really shine

got the VIZIO SoundBar w/SubWoofer for my GF---and her new Vizio 42in LCD TV
Sounds better than the TV speakers---but really not everything i wanted
(but then again i have a real 5.1 Surround system -- BIG speakers in my own HT)

VIZIO only takes 2 channel sound (NO DD/DTS==doesn't DeCode)
so u need to have the TV or eXternal devices DownMix --> 2.0 PCM first
i have HDMI coming in from 2 units (DVDstdRecorder & BluRayDVDplayer)
and Analog Audio 2.0 from Cable Box----> TV--->Optical ----> VIZIO soundBar
(works nice==don't have to change inputs on SoundBar) GF likes Simple

that being understood
SRS TruSurroundHD == only a 2.0 channel SOUND DELAY
similar to the so-called CONCERT-DSP of the 70s Echo-Sound era
if the Vizio SB deCoded DD/DTS we could use Dolby Virtual Speakers
i use Dolby Headphone = and it is Quite GOOD

currently the SB is at or just below EAR level----
going 2 try Davyo's suggestion and put it UP over TV...(18in/~0.5m above Ears)
post #33 of 44 Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the rundown on the Vizio. Looks like the new VSB210WS coming out this month? decodes DD and also has an updated remote.

That aside, can anyone say whether any of these popular sound bars (Sony CT100/CT500, Vizio, etc... sound as good, better, or worse than the Bose Cinemate II system?

Guess I just need to get out there to some stores and compare these things...
post #34 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey shenrei, would you mind posting the settings you're using for sub, center, and surround? I also have a YAS-71 and I'm trying to tweak it to get the best results. Thanks.

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
post #35 of 44 Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Sure thing.

Center: +1
Subwoofer: -3
Surround: -4

Audio Delay: 40ms (Dependent on your TV)
Enhancer: OFF
Position: Center
Area: Normal

Keep in mind that the optimal settings will be dependent on how isolated the soundbar is from its stand. A non-isolated soundbar will negatively affect sound significantly, especially in the bass frequencies. So if the soundbar is sitting on a stand or whatnot, get some adhesive rubber pads or foam and place them underneath. This usually isn't an issue if mounted however.
post #36 of 44 Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrei View Post

Sure thing.

Center: +1
Subwoofer: -3
Surround: -4

Audio Delay: 40ms (Dependent on your TV)
Enhancer: OFF
Position: Center
Area: Normal

Keep in mind that the optimal settings will be dependent on how isolated the soundbar is from its stand. A non-isolated soundbar will negatively affect sound significantly, especially in the bass frequencies. So if the soundbar is sitting on a stand or whatnot, get some adhesive rubber pads or foam and place them underneath. This usually isn't an issue if mounted however.

Thanks for posting. I will need to try it and see how it sounds. For me, I have not noticed a delay in the sound with my TV so I doubt if I will make that change. Others can say what they want about the Sony 500CT but I'm glad I went with the Yami soundbar.
post #37 of 44 Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 PM

Hi. I'm currently testing my second soundbar and wanted to get some opinions as to what would be best form my viewing/listening needs.

I first tried out the Vizio soundbar with wireless subwoofer. I thought it sounded pretty good, but it just looked huge in front of my Samsung 40" LCD. Also, since my Samsung only ouputs 2.0 sound from the optical jack, I was not able to experience any surround sound. And the limited inputs did not help.

I am currently testing out the Sony HT-CT100. I think it sounds pretty good for the most part. The major problem, though, is the weak dialogue/sound from the center channel. I have tried making adjustments based off of Da1writer's settings, but have not been able to achieve any good balance between the surround sound and dialogue. For example, I was watching 30 Rock last night in DD 5.1 via my Tivo and the background music was just too loud and drowned out the dialogue.

Here is how I would break down the usage of the soundbar with my TV habits:

80% TV viewing via Tivo
10% Game playing via the Wii and PS3
10% Movie watching via the PS3

Since my viewing/listening habits are mostly skewed toward TV watching, does anyone have an opinion of the Yamaha vs. the HT-CT100? I would also consider the HT-CT500 - but only if the price fell to more around the $300 price range.

Thanks!
post #38 of 44 Old 01-20-2010, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any of the Yamaha bars are better than the CT100...its a toy with NO volume .. As far as the CT500 , folks are having connection /switching issues . I tried the YAS 71 and next to the YSP series I rate it right up there ...
post #39 of 44 Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Liked: 11
Dino, if you're looking for true surround sound from a soundbar I think you're expecting too much. Especially for TV viewing. Have you considered a pair of wireless headphones? They'll probably sound better and at a fraction of the cost.
post #40 of 44 Old 01-22-2010, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

People keep stating how soundbars dont do surround sound well, but the new Mitsubishi tv with built in soundbar has a ridiculously awesome sound and good virtual surround. I want a soundbar that can come close to the virtual surround that the Mitsu has.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #41 of 44 Old 01-22-2010, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue comet View Post

As far as the CT500 , folks are having connection /switching issues

Me thinks some of the people that are having connection switching issues are not hooking their CT-500's properly, also, early on when the CT-500 was first released there were some bugs but I think those have all been worked out quite some time ago.
My CT-500 worked flawlessly and I would recomend trying one out for anyone that is interested in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

People keep stating how soundbars dont do surround sound well, but the new Mitsubishi tv with built in soundbar has a ridiculously awesome sound and good virtual surround. I want a soundbar that can come close to the virtual surround that the Mitsu has.

Yea,,, the soundbar attached to the Mitsubishi KILLS, it do sound amazing to say the least,,,,, to bad its got a tiny 52" LCD screen attached to that you have to buy as well.

Cheers
Davyo
post #42 of 44 Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Dav, how do you compare the CT500 to the Vizio you currently have? Why did you take the 500 back?

BTW, here's a crude layout of my room...

So it's almost ideal for a soundbar (the diagonal lines are examples of the sound bouncing off the walls). I'm thinking of the CT500, simply because of the inputs and decoding. If it's good enough, I'll be taking the plunge on it.

post #43 of 44 Old 01-23-2010, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

Dav, how do you compare the CT500 to the Vizio you currently have? Why did you take the 500 back?

BTW, here's a crude layout of my room...

So it's almost ideal for a soundbar (the diagonal lines are examples of the sound bouncing off the walls). I'm thinking of the CT500, simply because of the inputs and decoding. If it's good enough, I'll be taking the plunge on it.

The CT-500 vs the Vizio,,,, the CT-500 is much better at a surround effect, and it actually did a very good job of making me think there were speakers on each side wall.

The Vizio does not really do a surround sound effect, but more of a room filling sound,,, and in my opinion, puts out a better overall tone.

I choose the Vizio over the CT-500 because the Vizio offered me a more stealthy install and less wires to run,,, also the Vizio TruSound feature is a big plus for me as I live in a condo and share a wall with a neighbor, with the Vizio I am no longer diving for a remote to adjust volume levels for late night viewing or when watching an action type movie with big explosions and stuff.

The shape of your room looks very soundbar friendly, two things though,,, experiment with the mounting height,, I have found above a display is better for reflecting sound,,,, the other thing,, were your bed is at has your head right against the back wall,,, sometimes that can diminish the amount of sound you will hear,,,, I would recomend sitting in different locations on your bed and even at the foot of your bed, just for fun, to see if the sound forms better more in the center of the room,,,,, hope that made sense.

Cheers
Davyo
post #44 of 44 Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I sit close to the foot of the bed for movie watching and at the center for everything else. I really only lean back for the unimportant stuff. My bedroom is pretty small, so I guess the Vizio's room filling sound isn't as important as if my setup were to be in my open living room (very NOT ideal for a soundbar).

I'll wait and see if the CT500 goes down to <$380 levels on Amazon before taking the plunge.

If Wal-mart gets the Vizio with wireless sub in stock again, I'll test that out first, but I doubt they will. My gf works at Wal-mart so I can get the 10% discount.

Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page