New JVC soundbars,,, very interesting !!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
by the way if davyo reads this can the velcro trick work on top of a panny plasma with a speaker between 7 and 8 lbs

thanks , keether
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 PM

Liked: 11
Yeah Keether, saw the cnet review. They liked it better than my Polk. Cheaper too.

The new JVC 5.1 soundbar is now available for order here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-358-_-Product
post #33 of 50 Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keether View Post

by the way if davyo reads this can the velcro trick work on top of a panny plasma with a speaker between 7 and 8 lbs

thanks , keether

I would think the velcro trick would work fine, 7 or 8 pounds aint that much, but the other important thing would be how flat of a surface the bottom of the JVC has.

Cheers
Davyo
post #34 of 50 Old 02-09-2010, 10:54 PM

hey fellas got the th-ba1 today gave it a little try on prime time tv ncis and dark knight on blu ray for $269.00 it's definitly a keeper if there is any improvement on the newest model it should be a pretty decent system took about 5 try's to pair the sub to the main unit but was easy to setup no sync feature for audio and video but so far so good the subs not the most powerful but it's still a great value wished i could have tried the new vizio but next time i will by the way davyo i think i'm going to go with plan b and get the pre drilled metal strips i'll feel a little more secure with that setup

good luck

keether
post #35 of 50 Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hey fellas got the th-ba1 today gave it a little try on prime time tv ncis and dark knight on blu ray for $269.00 it's definitly a keeper if there is any improvement on the newest model it should be a pretty decent system took about 5 try's to pair the sub to the main unit but was easy to setup no sync feature for audio and video but so far so good the subs not the most powerful but it's still a great value wished i could have tried the new vizio but next time i will by the way davyo i think i'm going to go with plan b and get the pre drilled metal strips i'll feel a little more secure with that setup

good luck

keether

Cool,,, have fun with the new set-up and make sure to post your opinions after you have had some more play time with the JVC.

Cheers
Davyo
post #36 of 50 Old 02-15-2010, 09:35 AM

I just ordered the JVC-TH-BA3 here...http://www.amazon.com/JVC-TH-BA3-Sou...3934&sr=8-1.It will be hooked up with my Samsung LN52A750 LCD.I have never had home theater or sound bar system,so I won't be able to judge it with other systems,sorry.I live in an apartment so I think this is the right system for me(I hope)Anyway I am scheduled to receive it on Thursday(baring any more snowstorms )I will let you know what I think of it sometime in the next week
post #37 of 50 Old 02-23-2010, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just ordered the BA1 from Amazon - fyi they've bumped up the price a few bucks, but they've got a promo going thru Feb 28 for 10% off if you use an Amazon Visa... type "HOMETH10" in the promo box during checkout...

Should have mine on Wednesday and I'll let you know how I like it.
post #38 of 50 Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 AM

Love the JVC TH-BA1.

It's an add-on to my Panasonic 32 S1 LCD in front of my treadmill. The tv pic is fantastic, the sound is a little weak, especially with the noise of the treadmill. Zero "thump" and no way to pump up the dialogue.

This is the first/only bar I've used, though I've heard a friends Sony 100 bar. For my needs, it seems perfect.

Overall impact: A. As everyone says, huge increase in impact from the tv speakers.
Dialogue: A. Center channel volume adjustable on the remote. AWESOME feature, one button adjustment to have the dialogue level just right. Even my wife can do it.
Wireless Sub: B-. Wireless works great. Set up is easy. Remote also has volume adjustment for the sub. It does it's job - this is, as expected, one of the biggest differences between tv speakers and an add-on bar/sub. Couldn't live without it. But there is such a huge difference between this sub and a really good home theater sub... I believe I'm simply spoiled by my living room home theater setup (I've got a Martin Logan Grotto - $1k sub), so it's not a fair comparison, as the JVC is $250-$300 for both sub and bar. But it is what it is - to me, I'd pay more to have a more robust sub.
Remote: A+. Simply perfect. Control the overall volume, and/or the center, surrounds, sub individually. Goes to the bar, where the indicators are, which is much better (to me) that systems like the Sony that have that info on the sub.

Overall, I'd say that for a true home theater, nothing replaces a real 5.1 or 7.1 setup. If looking for a bar for one's home theater, the sub simply isn't good enough. If budget allows, I'd strongly recommend looking for a bar/sub combo with a more powerful sub.

But for a secondary room, or on a $300 budget, the JVC TH-BA1 is great.
post #39 of 50 Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM

I should add - beauty/WAF wise, the JVC is not nearly as "pretty" as the Vizio or Sony. If you are looking for something for the living room, this (IMO) isn't it.
post #40 of 50 Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 PM

hey gang have had a few weeks listening to the thba1 and the most important thing i can tell you is something davyo has mentioned before the higher these bars are mounted the better by mounting it above my panel using brackets mounted to the back of the tv which raised the bar about 30'' higher the improvment in sound was dramatic i was already impressed with this unit for under $300 but with the bar mounted at just about 4' high instead of 20'' from the floor it really took this unit to another level you really do need to get these above ear level

good luck , keether
post #41 of 50 Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hey gang have had a few weeks listening to the thba1 and the most important thing i can tell you is something davyo has mentioned before the higher these bars are mounted the better by mounting it above my panel using brackets mounted to the back of the tv which raised the bar about 30'' higher the improvment in sound was dramatic i was already impressed with this unit for under $300 but with the bar mounted at just about 4' high instead of 20'' from the floor it really took this unit to another level you really do need to get these above ear level

good luck , keether

Hey Keether,, glad to hear the JVC is working out good for you.

And yea,, mounting a soundbar above ear level really does make a big difference in sound quality,,,, placing a soundbar below a panel or below ear level will almost always kill the sound,,, carpet, curtains and furniture and people and stuff hanging on the walls just wipe out any reflective sound qualities that soundbars depend on (in most case's).

Cheers
Davyo
post #42 of 50 Old 03-03-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post

I should add - beauty/WAF wise, the JVC is not nearly as "pretty" as the Vizio or Sony. If you are looking for something for the living room, this (IMO) isn't it.

hello janibrewski

i also own the thba1 and i agree with everything in your review but i also own the sony 100 which is not as powerful as the jvc and the current version of the vizio does not decode dolby digital etc. and has only 1 optical input so at this price point i think the jvc is an easy winner beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to me the jvc looks just as good as most any other bar with the exception of the denon fs3 which retailed at over $1000.

good luck
post #43 of 50 Old 03-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Keether,

Nice to see another JVC BA1 fan!

I am very happy with mine, and since I have neither the Sony nor the Vizio, I'm sure your comparisons are better than mine.

Aesthetics/WAF are in the eye of the beholder/wife, I suppose. I love the way the BA1 looks in my garage/exercise room, but doubt it would please my wife in any other room.
post #44 of 50 Old 04-03-2010, 12:17 PM

anybody have any luck with remote codes for standard URC remotes?
Thanks
post #45 of 50 Old 04-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

people and stuff hanging on the walls just wipe out any reflective sound qualities that soundbars depend on (in most case's).

You certainly have interesting room decor!
post #46 of 50 Old 04-03-2010, 07:19 PM

Quick question but can someone chime in on why they chose the JVC over the Pioneer?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...HTP-SB300.Kuro
post #47 of 50 Old 04-04-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 View Post

Quick question but can someone chime in on why they chose the JVC over the Pioneer?

I don't know why the Pioneer has no love but I'm going to get one. Its $289 on line. It has every thing that I want.

Bring big movie sound into your home without the bulk of multi-speaker sound systems. The HTP-SB300 3.1-Channel Front Surround Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer from Pioneer delivers a total power output of 250 watts, enough to blow you away with its incredible sound design. Plus, with advanced audio technologies like Advanced Front Stage Surround, Dolby True HD and DTS Digital Surround, Pioneer is sure to deliver sound like you've never heard before.
Key Features:
250W total power output
Dual speaker center channel
Wireless (2.4GHz) 100W powered subwoofer
Advanced Front Stage Surround
Dolby True HD
DTS Digital Surround
HDMI (2 in / 1 out) Repeater

Bobby Ray
post #48 of 50 Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 View Post

I don't remember seeing the Pioneer when I bought the JVC BA1. Looks excellent though. I'd love to see a comparison to the JVC.
post #49 of 50 Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 AM

I like the Pioneer as well, but one question. Do you need a receiver or does it connect to the TV and the tv provides the power.

Thanks,
post #50 of 50 Old 05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter68 View Post

I like the Pioneer as well, but one question. Do you need a receiver or does it connect to the TV and the tv provides the power.

Thanks,

I have the Pio soundbar. No you don't need a receiver, the bar has its on power and amp. The big draw back is there is no control for the wireless sub, you get what you get. I would like a little more boom boom. It does play DD hd and Dts. Hdmi fron bd player to bar, hdmi from stb to bar and hdmi from bar to a Panny 54" 1080p. My WR7-remote controls every thing. This bar would be perfect if it had a vol control for the sub.

Bobby Ray
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page