Any 2 or 2.1 speaker or soundbar system that gives surround sound feel? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm delving into a new plasma tv setup & been on the hunt for either using the plasma (panny 58v10 is my hope) sound or maybe a soundbar.

Some friend's just bought a bose CineMate Series II speaker system along with a 55" sammy lcd-led 6000 panel. To me, I think they have good sound & the bose seems to give it a surround sound "effect"; however, I know just being on the avsforum boards for a couple of weeks researching, the bose name seems to be not highly regarded.

Which leads me to what my main intention is:

is there a 2 speaker, 2.1 speaker system or sound bar system that will give some surround sound effect??

I've been looking seriously at the Vizio soundbar with wireless sub ( that is a great affordable setup for me - it appears / without hearing it though ). And over on the Aperion section, they are releasing a new soundbar in '10/this year ... and I like my older Aperion speakers that I have so I'm comfortable with that brand.

Money is an object - I don't care to spend a whole lot but I could wait on this and buy later if it makes sense. ie, I don't really want to spend $499-$599 like what a bose cinemate system costs... the $200-$300 for the Vizio sound bar seems reasonable to me.

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-03-2010, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This might not help but I've never really heard any "Surroud Sound in Stereo" gimmick produce decent sound.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

i'm being serious with my question on this so don't take this the wrong way.

are the bose cinemates "gimmick" sounding then?

also, my listening is pure casual & I'm NOT an audiophile or videophile - lot of people here way above me on understanding what they hear or see.

so, when I hear the bose cinemate, they sound interesting & good and have some type of surround sound vibe.

so, maybe it's my ignorance that helps me on this!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post

This might not help but I've never really heard any "Surroud Sound in Stereo" gimmick produce decent sound.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbluevtx View Post

i'm being serious with my question on this so don't take this the wrong way.

are the bose cinemates "gimmick" sounding then?

also, my listening is pure casual & I'm NOT an audiophile or videophile - lot of people here way above me on understanding what they hear or see.

so, when I hear the bose cinemate, they sound interesting & good and have some type of surround sound vibe.

so, maybe it's my ignorance that helps me on this!!!!

The higher end bars use processing and a microphone to tune themselves according to your room, so they sound decent. However, your lower end speaker bars will similar in sound to your Tv speakers; louder and maybe some more lower response but no 'surround' experience. I've heard a few soundbars at retail stores and to be honest the Sony soundbar ($350 at Best buy) seemed like the best cheap bar only because it produced ok lows for what it is. I did not get to push it though, so I cannot comment how clear it is at high volume.

Bose is a ripoff, if not by design then by components. Last time I checked their speakers out, they were still using paper cones. They overcharge IMO and I've never liked their sound after I listened to a decent HT setup. Even a good 2.1 Setup will outperform their 5.1 offerings at a considerably reduced price.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-03-2010, 01:24 PM

I don't think you're going to get what you want at that price point. I listened to the Vizio soundbar at CostCo and I think it's a decent solution for someone that wants cheap 2.1 sound without the space/visual constraints of a real 2.1 system, but you're not going to get decent surround sound out of it. The high end Yamaha systems do do a pretty good job of surround but you're looking at about a grand for the flagship IIRC.

My girlfriend actually ordered me the Vizio soundbar so when it gets here, hopefully in a few days, I can let you know what I think. This is for casual TV watching in my upstairs living room so It doesn't need to be great, just needs to be inobtrusive and sound better than the built in speakers on the TV. I almost got the Yamaha (YSP-4000?), actually put a couple bids in on some on eBay, but my room has vaulted ceilings and is open on two sides so I'm guessing that even the thousand buck plus soundbars wouldn't do a real great job on surround in that case.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just my opinion but I think I'd rather use a 2.1 or 3.1 computer speaker setup to get better sound. It won't give you simulated surround - I've heard the Bose simulated sound and was not impressed at all. It sounded like echoes not surround.

I've heard computer speakers for less money that sounded just as good and there are some brands that outright embarrass the Bose 'sound' for the same money.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #7 of 13 Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

So if space & wires showing is a big deal to us so I guess the sound bar is my best functional option but maybe won't provide the best sound quality & performance
post #8 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've heard the Bose CineMate Series II and one thing you have to be careful about: speaker placement. If you keep the two satellite speakers close to the display (per Bose recommendation), the sound is very good with very nice left-right stereo separation and surprisingly strong bass.

It's not true 5.1 surround sound but it's way better than the speakers built into your TV.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #9 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 03:14 PM

I've heard the yammie soundbar and it is a pretty hefty piece of kit. Sounded alright. If you absolutely positively want surround effect from just the front through psychoacoustic manipulation then it's an option. Another is this which looks pretty cool. In fact if you get that little Kef system I'd be interested in a review. Good luck. Oh, and bose really is the rip off master in home audio.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 03:42 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dit4Dat View Post

. Oh, and bose really is the rip off master in home audio.

Exactly. How the hell does anyone even consider any piece of crap with the bose trademark attached to it.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Ultimate AVMag had a review on the M & K MP-4512 surround bar and it was favorable. Unfortunately it is more than your price tag. =/
post #12 of 13 Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 AM

I am also looking for a 2.1 mid-priced system, and was leaning toward Bose, but most of you seem to think it's a waste of money. This is just for casual listening.

Should I go with the two front satellite speakers or the soundbar... along with the sub??

Also, how is Cambridge Soundworks these days?
post #13 of 13 Old 11-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy1965 View Post

I am also looking for a 2.1 mid-priced system, and was leaning toward Bose, but most of you seem to think it's a waste of money. This is just for casual listening.

Should I go with the two front satellite speakers or the soundbar... along with the sub??

Also, how is Cambridge Soundworks these days?

Just for giggles, go audition the Bose Cinemate1SR sound bar, you might like it
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page