Vizio's NEW Soundbars and wireless systems,, Very Very Cool Stuff !!!! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 89 Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read somewhere, can't recall where though sorry, that you might have to change the channel of your wireless router. From what I remember they said that finding the right channel should take care of the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 02-09-2010, 06:18 AM

Yes, I my current Vizio SB with Wireless Sub works fine also... it seems to synchronize and pickup on the wireless signal on its own. What I am concerned about is those where you switch the wireless frequency between 4 settings, and make the SB and Sub match. The original Boston Acoustics that I purchased, prior to the Vizio, had an issue, and also saw a very similar situation with another Boston Acoustics and Polk Audio setups.

The Vizio works great, though I am planning to return it to wait out the updated version...

In addition, here is the response from Vizio's press relations on the VSB201... not sure how accurate it is:

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Vizio Press Relations wrote:

Yes a running change, but It is undergoing Dolby certification prior to production.

Stay tuned

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 21:53:55 -0500

To: Vizio Press Relations
Subject: Re: Vizio Soundbar Press release -> VSB201 supposed to be available in January... still not seen

Thanks for the quick response! Is there someone at Vizio that I can send my question to confirm if it is just a "running change" or new model? And when this "running change" / new model should be showing up?

Regards,
MW

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Vizio Press Relations wrote:

I don't know, it may just be a runnning change to add DD processsing

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:03:17 -0500
To: Vizio Press Relations

Subject: Vizio Soundbar Press release -> VSB201 supposed to be available in January... still not seen

Hello,

Per Vizio's website, you are in charge of press relations, and I assume assist in Press Releases such as the one below:

http://www.vizio.com/news/cat/press/...nAudioProducts

Is there any updates for when the new Vizio VSB201 (SoundBar (with Dolby Digital decoding) and Wireless Sub) is supposed to be released? Per the press release from last month, it was supposed to be available in January (last month). I have been digging around on the internet, and it does not seem to exist yet.

Regards,
Mark
post #63 of 89 Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

My Vizio bar with wireless sub has worked flawlessly.

I was thinking on getting a wireless router for my PC's though,,,, now's I be wonderin ifin that's guna mess things up ?

Cheers
Davyo

Hi Davyo,

I have 2 wireless routers and numerous wireless devices in my house flawlessly working flawlessly with the VSB210WS . This includes a PS3, Wii, and Wireless picture frame near the soundbar. The routers are a D-Link DIR-615 and Linksys WRT54G2... as an FYI... something about the DIR-615 causes some devices to not be able to connect until the router is power cycled... only happens once a month or less.

NOTE: in reference to my experience getting the Boston Acoustics TVee Model 2 working... I had actually shutdown all wireless devices, routers, and phones in the house while troubleshooting it, before giving up, returning it and getting the Vizio.
post #64 of 89 Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by capezio49er View Post

Hi Davyo,

I have 2 wireless routers and numerous wireless devices in my house flawlessly working flawlessly with the VSB210WS . This includes a PS3, Wii, and Wireless picture frame near the soundbar. The routers are a D-Link DIR-615 and Linksys WRT54G2... as an FYI... something about the DIR-615 causes some devices to not be able to connect until the router is power cycled... only happens once a month or less.

NOTE: in reference to my experience getting the Boston Acoustics TVee Model 2 working... I had actually shutdown all wireless devices, routers, and phones in the house while troubleshooting it, before giving up, returning it and getting the Vizio.

Cool,, thanks for posting that info,,,, good stuff to know.

Cheers
Davyo
post #65 of 89 Old 02-10-2010, 10:34 AM

Newegg.com has the Polk Audio SurroundBar 360 DVD Theater System for $300 shipped. It has 3 optical inputs and Dolby Digital decoding.

This is in my SoundBar price range, but have only seen it in box, never demonstrated. It will be slightly more than I paid at Sams Club for the VSB210WS ($250 + taxes).

How is the sound and bass? Will it require a sub to sound as good as the VSB210WS?

As I said before, I will be returning the VSB210WS probably due to the lack of Dolby Digital (prefer one output from the television)... if the VSB201 is as good as the VSB210WS, should I wait for the VSB201 or get the Polk Audio (Polk's price will also be $50 less than the VSB201 for the time being).

Any opinions / thoughts would be great!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...255&SID=130747
post #66 of 89 Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 PM

I found the Polk Surround 360 at best buy and did a listening. It is interesting how the surround works, but seems to only work when you are centered with the television, and even then the VSB210WS was louder and I missed the subwoofer.

So, guess I will not be going after the Polk Audio sound bar after all.

Also, just read somewhere that Sams Club might allow 90 days or for a return... so I think I have talked myself into holding onto the VSB210WS until the VSB201 shows up.
post #67 of 89 Old 02-11-2010, 02:24 PM

The Polk Surround 360 at 300 shipped is a good deal. Apparently they are being discontinued or closed out. I have the 360 and it is a good system, it has always been too much money for what you get but at $300 it's not a bad deal. I have a Mirage subwoofer with mine.
post #68 of 89 Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capezio49er View Post

As I said before, I will be returning the VSB210WS probably due to the lack of Dolby Digital (prefer one output from the television)... if the VSB201 is as good as the VSB210WS, should I wait for the VSB201 or get the Polk Audio (Polk's price will also be $50 less than the VSB201 for the time being).

Any opinions / thoughts would be great!

Are you sure your TV's "optical out" sends Dolby Digital ?

Cheers
Davyo
post #69 of 89 Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Cheers
Davyo

Fairly certain that it just passes the signal it is being given... For example, my PS3 is connected to the television via HDMI, and I have it set for the audio to be passed as PCM, and I hear the audio coming through just fine. For the tv channels, (they are showing as Dolby Digital for the audio on the TV's info screen), but the audio is not available on the soundbar... in fact the light combination flashes that means the soundbar cannot interpret the optical signal. I looked around my tv settings and I do not see a way to force the television to decode / convert the Dolby Digital signal for me.

Regards,
Mark
post #70 of 89 Old 02-19-2010, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL View Post

That's exactly what I was doing until I got a new TV that didn't have analog outs (LG 55LH90). Great TV, but does kind of piss me off that they didn't include either a downsample option or analog outputs.

So, I moved the Vizio soundbar and got a receiver/5.1 setup.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, voices do come across clearer on a DD5.1 vs 2.0 setup, so I think it's worth it to get the DD5.1. However, if you're tight on money or it's going to be a giant PITA with swapping/upgrading/whatever, then 2.0 is passable. I just do think there's a big enough upgrade to clarity with the DD5.1 to make it worth it.

E-JTL,

I have the same TV and was going to buy the VSB210WS and use an optical cable. Do I understand you correctly that this combination will not work?

Thanks.
post #71 of 89 Old 02-20-2010, 06:50 AM

I have a Kuro 111fd and it will not pass Dolby Digital through optical out. This has to do with a HDMI copyright issue or such. The only way to get the Dolby Digital audio to the soundbar is to run optical or analog directly from the cable box or AV unit to the soundbar. And run a separate video feed to the TV via HDMI.

It's very strange why it is like this. Because you can run optical from a PS3 or AV unit along with HDMI for video and get the DD to work. But, you can't do it from a TV. Others that know more than me would have to explain.
post #72 of 89 Old 02-20-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Getting restless waiting for the Vizio models with DD.

However, I'm wondering if the new models will raise prices. For instance, VSB200 is $150 shipped from Amazon. If the new model is $200, then the Sony HTCT100 becomes a more interesting alternative, as it has DD already plus subwoofer plus HDMI inputs.

VSB210 is currently $280 at Amazon so it must be commanding a premium over the Sony for the wireless sub even though it doesn't have Dolby or HTS decoding yet.

Do the Vizios offer some other advantages to offset the current lack of Dolby, HTS and HDMI? Seems like the Vizios may have more drivers but Sony seems to have more power, at least going by Amazon's meager specs. info for these products.
post #73 of 89 Old 02-22-2010, 02:15 PM

VSB-210 is currently $246 at Sams Club, so it looks like they are trying to unload them.
post #74 of 89 Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 PM
R2B

...according to an email I received in response to an email contact on the vizio web site technical support page.

Not sure if I will wait that long, or purchase the current model, or something else. Decisions, indecisions...
post #75 of 89 Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo, I have the VF551XVT (same as you) and am thinking of getting the VSB210WS. How would I connect it for the best sound - RCA or digital? Will digital sound better than RCA (will it be 5.1?). And is it a lot better than the 551's built-in speaker bar? Specifically I am looking for clearer voices. On some movies/shows I find the voices difficult to hear as the surround stuff can drown them out. Where is the lack of DD a disadvantage? What is the workaround, if any, for the 551?

Also, I can get the 210 for $180 refurb'd from Directly from the Tiger...

Thanks,

bh
post #76 of 89 Old 02-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Davyo - Are the rear surrounds attached to a base station like current "wireless" surrounds? I am very interested in the 5/1 sound bar, but want true wireless surrounds. Thanks for all of the info you have provided!

Quinn
post #77 of 89 Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh626pro View Post

Davyo, I have the VF551XVT (same as you) and am thinking of getting the VSB210WS. How would I connect it for the best sound - RCA or digital? Will digital sound better than RCA (will it be 5.1?). And is it a lot better than the 551's built-in speaker bar? Specifically I am looking for clearer voices. On some movies/shows I find the voices difficult to hear as the surround stuff can drown them out. Where is the lack of DD a disadvantage? What is the workaround, if any, for the 551?

Also, I can get the 210 for $180 refurb'd from Directly from the Tiger...

Thanks,

bh

Hey bh,,,,,,, Yes, the Vizio speaker bar is a nice jump in sound quality over the sound of the 551 panel.
I have mine connected with the digital optical out of my 551 with my HD DVR, HD DVD player and BluRay all connected to the 551 via HDMI connections.

As far as the DD question, the advantage (I think) would be if the up-graded DD speaker bar comes out it would be best to run the optical directly to the sound bar from a BluRay player (as example) so the sound bar could decode and play the DD signal,,, since the 551 wont send/pass DD over the optical out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qposner View Post

Davyo - Are the rear surrounds attached to a base station like current "wireless" surrounds? I am very interested in the 5/1 sound bar, but want true wireless surrounds. Thanks for all of the info you have provided!

Quinn

Hey Quinn,,,,, On the soon to be released Vizio 5.1 system my understanding is that the rear surrounds are wired to the wireless sub so they would not be wireless surrounds,,,,,,,but, the Vizio rear surrounds dont require a power supply like most other systems do.

Personaly, I would rather wire two rear speakers to a sub rather than have to supply power to two rear speakers as well as the sub.

Hope that helped a bit.

Cheers
Davyo
post #78 of 89 Old 02-27-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Hey Quinn,,,,, On the soon to be released Vizio 5.1 system my understanding is that the rear surrounds are wired to the wireless sub so they would not be wireless surrounds,,,,,,,but, the Vizio rear surrounds dont require a power supply like most other systems do.

Personaly, I would rather wire two rear speakers to a sub rather than have to supply power to two rear speakers as well as the sub.

Hope that helped a bit.

Cheers
Davyo

It does. Thanks. I completely forgot about power to the rears.
post #79 of 89 Old 02-27-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:

,, since the 551 wont send/pass DD over the optical out.

Thanks Davyo. To clarify, if the 551 won't send DD over the optical link, how do you get around programs that are encoded with DD? Does that mean you HAVE to use the RCA jacks or is there a setting in the TV that you make?

I am confused as to whether the sound bar will not produce any sound for some programs...

bh
post #80 of 89 Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh626pro View Post

Thanks Davyo. To clarify, if the 551 won't send DD over the optical link, how do you get around programs that are encoded with DD? Does that mean you HAVE to use the RCA jacks or is there a setting in the TV that you make?

I am confused as to whether the sound bar will not produce any sound for some programs...

bh

If Im reading your question correctly,,,,my understanding is that over the air and cable programing will pass DD thur the 551 optical out,, but with other sources such as a BluRay or gaming console ect. the optical out on the panel will not pass DD.

My plan is to get an optical splitter and hook my BluRay, HD DVD and HD DVR into the optical splitter and then run the one optical cable out to the soundbar since the soundbar only has one optical input,,,, at least thats the plan for now.

AVS sponser "MonoPrice" (link at the top of this page) sells optical splitters for a great price.

Cheers
Davyo
post #81 of 89 Old 03-21-2010, 10:39 PM

Wow, the 5.1 system sounds great. I had a pretty nice 5.1 setup, but as soon as my kid was born 4 years ago, I sold it and have been using :gulp: TV speakers since then. But since we had to buy a new TV, I finally convinced my wife it was time for some real speakers. And once she saw the soundbars, she thought that was the perfect thing. I am still trying to convince myself not to start building a 5.1 setup with an AVR. I am very very interested in the VHT512.
post #82 of 89 Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:

If Im reading your question correctly,,,,my understanding is that over the air and cable programing will pass DD thur the 551 optical out,, but with other sources such as a BluRay or gaming console ect. the optical out on the panel will not pass DD.

My plan is to get an optical splitter and hook my BluRay, HD DVD and HD DVR into the optical splitter and then run the one optical cable out to the soundbar since the soundbar only has one optical input,,,, at least thats the plan for now.

AVS sponser "MonoPrice" (link at the top of this page) sells optical splitters for a great price.

Cheers
Davyo

I wonder if that's true for most panels (not passing DD through the optical out), because if it is that will really mess up my plans and probably many others. I had hoped to run everything to an hdmi splitter so that 1 hdmi cable could run to the panel, and then one optical out to the soundbar.
post #83 of 89 Old 03-22-2010, 07:17 AM

Anyone see the new Soundbars out yet? I thought one was supposed to be out end of January.
post #84 of 89 Old 03-22-2010, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
What is the advantage of a sound bar (assuming you don't want the one with rear surrounds) over a cheap AVR, and traditional 2.1?

My Tv is in a corner, so the surround effect of a bar proabably won't work right. I know the bar will save me some $. I've also hear that bar's can be placed above the TV which is perfect for the cabinet I have, whereas discreet speakers tend to need to be placed at ear level on stands outside of a cabinet.

Guess what I'm wondering is will a bar + woofer in my situation really sound better than a decent (probably used) 2.1 system + AVR?
post #85 of 89 Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decon1 View Post

Anyone see the new Soundbars out yet? I thought one was supposed to be out end of January.

My local Wal-mart seems to have the same VSB200 that I bought last year, but one of the features listed on the price tag now says it is "3.0"... which is what I really want... a sound bar that decodes and discretely amplifies the R, L and Center channels w/ a sub-out. It wouldn't hurt for Vizio to update their website occasionally.

--
post #86 of 89 Old 03-25-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topmounter View Post

My local Wal-mart seems to have the same VSB200 that I bought last year, but one of the features listed on the price tag now says it is "3.0"... which is what I really want... a sound bar that decodes and discretely amplifies the R, L and Center channels w/ a sub-out. It wouldn't hurt for Vizio to update their website occasionally.

Where exactly in your Walmart do you see these speakers. I never see anything like this in my Walmart. I've looked all over the electronics dept.
post #87 of 89 Old 03-25-2010, 07:35 AM
vld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Where exactly in your Walmart do you see these speakers. I never see anything like this in my Walmart. I've looked all over the electronics dept.

You could try using the "Find in Store" option on Walmart's web page for the VSB200 to see if your local Walmart carrys the sound bar. Apparently not all Walmarts carry it.

Additionally, I emailed Vizio asking specifically about the new VHT200 and VHT212 sound bars and this was the reply that I received;

"The tenative release date is towards August. However, at this point the date is subject to change. If this does not resolve your problem please contact our support. You may contact them at (877) MY-VIZIO. (877) 698-4946. If you need any additional assistance or are interested in any additional products feel free to contact me back directly. Thanks and have a great day!"
post #88 of 89 Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd View Post

You could try using the "Find in Store" option on Walmart's web page for the VSB200 to see if your local Walmart carrys the sound bar. Apparently not all Walmarts carry it.

Additionally, I emailed Vizio asking specifically about the new VHT200 and VHT212 sound bars and this was the reply that I received;

"The tenative release date is towards August. However, at this point the date is subject to change. If this does not resolve your problem please contact our support. You may contact them at (877) MY-VIZIO. (877) 698-4946. If you need any additional assistance or are interested in any additional products feel free to contact me back directly. Thanks and have a great day!"

Weird...it's out of stock in 3 stores near me. Are they clearing them out?
post #89 of 89 Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 AM
vld

I dunno! The older VSB200 is in stock at 3 different Walmarts near me.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page