Mounting Soundbar on Articulating Arm - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am mounting a PN50B860 on a sidewall in my bedroom since the bed faces a wall of windows. I want to use an articulating arm to pull the TV out for viewing at a better angle.

Since the built-in speakers are awful, I need to add an external sound source.

I prefer having the sound come from the direction of the TV since any wall mounts will be off-skewed.

I am considering using a soundbar (such as a Polk Surroundbar IHT, Boston Acoustics TeeVee or a Yamaha) but want to attach the soundbar to the articulating arm so that the sound will appear to come from the set. Both the Polk and BA come with wireless subwoofers which is an advantage.

Peerless has an attachment to some of its mounts for a Center speaker (tailored for BA and Polk) but it is unclear whether it can be used for a soundbar.

Omnimount has an "ears" attachment that allows for L & R speakers to be attached.

Sanus also has a center speaker mount, but it is unclear whether it is usable for a soundbar.

I would prefer a soundbar to speakers so long as the soundbar has its own amplifier. I'm trying to avoid adding an amplifier to the setup that will include a DirecTV receiver and a Blu-Ray player.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 09:18 AM

I am having this exact same issue now. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas. I have seen the sounbar brackets but are they my only choice?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 AM

I used this and attached it to the mount and the soundbar holes. It bends slightly so it allowed me to form it around the tv a little bit and then we added some velcro to the top of the tv and bottom of the sound bar (there was a slight gap between the two) to make it sit right where I wanted it.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Liked: 11
These brackets and some black spray paint are the cheapest solution.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 PM

I have the Peerless adapter, but haven't installed it yet. I've ordered a Definitive SSA-50, which I intend to install under the monitor.

It has a kind of open "U" channel, with the U facing outward. This will accommodate a convex back on the speaker. There are two sliding plates through which you can insert a (M8, I think?) bolt to mount the speaker. Sorry, I'm doing this from memory, as the adapter is downstairs in my storage. (I need to dig it out, since I just ordered the speaker...)

So, if your speaker has two M8 (check the drawing on the Peerless website for sure) sockets that are centered vertically, you are good, because the sliding plates will accommodate any width between the bolts.

One disappointment is that the adapter didn't come with the right hardware to mount it to my mount. I have the ultra-thin one, SUA750PU with a thin Samsung plasma. You can use the adapter if you mount the vertical strips to the monitor using the supplied (with the mount) spacers. You'll have to go to the hardware store to get some nuts and bolts to mount the fixed plate to the mount. There are large holes with adjoining slots that line up that you can use, but you must use the spacers.

The piece with the U-channel then bolts to the fixed piece, which has threaded holes. There are a number of holes that allow you to adjust the vertical position to align the speaker to your monitor with no gap.