Seeking Soundbar with DTS Decoding/Processing - Sony HT-CT500 or Yamaha YAS-71? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Another person has posted on the other YAS-71 thread that he was able to talk to the Sales Manager at 6th Ave (an authorized dealer) and get the YAS-71 for $249.>>

They're a good store .. I bought my YSP1100 from them and they matched the lowest price I found from online stores...
As far as Yamaha goes it gets tricky .. they will not back their warranty from most non approved dealers but I believe they do from Amazon ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, took the plunge and I just ordered the YAS-71.
post #33 of 42 Old 01-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Let us know how it goes when you guys receive your units
post #34 of 42 Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 AM

First, this discussion was very helpful in making my decision. Question though, is there some reason that I should not just run all my inputs to my Samsung TV via HDMI then just run the optical out to the YAS-71? That would seem to solve any input number issues and reduce the number of wires significantly.

Second question, is there way in the future to retask the bar as park of a true surround system. My thought was use it for the center and fronts and connect rears.

Will
post #35 of 42 Old 02-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Sorry I am late to the party... But I have a Yammy Yas-71 and love it... The unit is more then adequate for my space... As someone pointed out before I rarely have the Volume above 40 and it's perfect.. I think it goes up to 90 or 100.. Haven't check it out... This bar is by no means a Surround sound system so you won't hear hellicopters hovering behind you.. However, It does a good job as a wide front field IMO...I am no audiophile... I have a PS3 hooked up to it and it exceeds my expectations for movies and music... The remote is very small but well thought out... You can adjust everything within minutes.. You want to lower the sub, You have + and - button to do so.. Also can adjust the "center" and "surrounds that way... Good feature is that it has a night mode and enhancer button... Certain movies I may have to adjust it but it's far from a hassle.. Simple... And yes I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!! I bought mine off ebay and won the auction for 170.00 with 15.00 shipping... A very reputable seller though... Had it for about 5 months so far... Love the look of the bar as well. For those wondering it comes with a template so you can easily mount it on the walls.
post #36 of 42 Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarlton View Post

First, this discussion was very helpful in making my decision. Question though, is there some reason that I should not just run all my inputs to my Samsung TV via HDMI then just run the optical out to the YAS-71? That would seem to solve any input number issues and reduce the number of wires significantly.

Will

In my case, the reasons to run optical inputs separately to YAS-71 are:
1. My Sony TV has an optical audio output, but does not pass through DTS and DD5.1 signals. Also, it down-samples other audio streams too before passing them through the optical output.

2. I primarily use Western Digital's WDTV to watch movies. WDTV does not pass DTS and DD5.1 signals over its HDMI output. Also, since it doesn't have DTS or DD5.1 decoders built in, it just drops those audio streams. The only way it outputs DTS and DD5.1 streams is through its optical output.

Should be getting my YAS-71 delivered today. Not sure if I'll have the time to set it up and play around with different options before the weekend. Will post here once I have it configured properly and have used it a little bit.

Shoot, looks like it was shipped with "Signature Required". Online tracking says "Delivery Exception". Should get it tomorrow.
post #37 of 42 Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 AM

UPS delivered the YAS-71 yesterday, a day ahead of schedule. Installation was a no-brainer and worked the 1st time.

Result: Awesome sound! I have only done music so far. It rocks!! Loud volume at setting=30, Music mode.

Yet to try other modes, and play around with various other settings, but unless something earthshaking happens, I will be very pleased and satisfied, overall, I think.

I am yet to try the radioshack thingies, but I elevated my soundbar (which sits on the fireplace mantle) by 1 inch using the 2 little wooden chips provided with the system (dunno what they are used for).

2 days back, when I played the same music with my TV speakers (Panasonic 54"), my wife commented, why do we need new speakers, these sound very good.

Yesterday, after I connected the sound bar, she said, vow I can instantly hear the difference!

FYI, when I got the HDTV, initially my wife could not detect any quality difference between SD TV at home and HD, when we saw the HDTV at Costco. But when it was at home for some time before it was mounted, both the SD TV and HDTV were in the same room. Now my wife says that she will watch nothing but HD!
post #38 of 42 Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 PM

Yeah...about those 2 spacers that come with the unit. I'm pretty sure the manual made an error. Those should only be used if wallmounting, if you need extra height, or if the soundbar itself is seated atop a vent in which there must be airflow.

Not only will those spacers scuff what ever it is seated between, due to the vibration of the soundbar, but they are also unaesthetic and very unsightly, not to mention high. The double-sided tape that comes with the spacers is also very weak.

The fact that there is already rubber padding on the bottom of the soundbar implies that the soundbar is meant to be seated without the use of spacers..
post #39 of 42 Old 02-03-2010, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Got my YAS-71 delivered yesterday. Couldn't put off setting it up until the weekend!

The box was a lot bigger than I expected. The sub was bigger than expected.

Setup was pretty easy. Velcroed the soundbar to the top of my TV. The top surface of the TV is only an inch wide and so, I wasn't sure how secure it would be, but, a strip of velcro along the length of the soundbar appears to hold it pretty securely. The velcro also appears to serve the function of the isolation pads that shenrei recommends using.

Sound quality is excellent. Tried different channels on my FIOS TV(connected using an optical cable to the YAS-71). Regular channels had Stereo sound while a few movie channels had DD sound - this was displayed on the YAS-71 as well. Found Matrix Reloaded on one of the HD channels - with the volume at 30, it was really loud. Increasing the Center channel volume to +4 made the dialogs markedly louder and clearer. Used Movie Mode for movies - Fantastic pseudo surround effect. While watching Matrix, the spatial effects were very obvious and satisfactory - despite my room missing half a wall.

I tried positioning the soundbar on the TV table in front of the TV (about 18" off the floor). Moving it to the top of the TV (above ear-level) made an astonishingly large difference! If you all hadn't strongly recommended a high elevation for the soundbar, I would never have tried it and probably wouldn't have been very happy with the soundbar.

Tried playing music (128kbps mp3) using a Creative XFi unit attached to the stereo input of the YAS-71. Switched to Music mode and the sound filled the room really well with absolutely no distortion or coloring or sounding hollow/cheap.

Haven't tried playing any DTS movies with my WDTV yet; will do it this weekend and follow up here with additional comments. Also haven't played with any settings/tweaks yet.

Next step is to configure my Harmony remote to switch the YAS-71.

Initial impressions have been very very positive. The soundbar looks good (the wife approved of it!) and sounds great.

Thanks for all the recommendations and opinions.
post #40 of 42 Old 02-04-2010, 11:15 AM

That is nice to hear. Did you end up having to move your couch? And how stable is the soundbar on top of your tv?
post #41 of 42 Old 02-04-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Nope. The sofa is still against the wall - 13 feet from the TV. I tried squatting on the floor at different points between the TV and the sofa, but, didn't notice any difference in sound quality.

Setting the Area to "Large" helped widen the soundstage considerably.

The velcro is surprisingly strong. If I shake the soundbar physically, it does move a bit back ad forth, but, that is just the velcro's hook-loop range. It takes a lot of effort to rip the soundbar off the TV - I had to do this because, the first time, I placed the soundbar, it was a little off center.

I tried playing a few movies with loud action passages really loud to see if the soundbar would vibrate or move, but, it didn't; it's very firm and yet, isolated from its base, the TV.

Tried a couple of movies with DTS audio last night. The channel separation and quality of dialogs/speech is simply amazing.

The subwoofer is loud enough get me in trouble with the neighbors.

Adding the YAS-71 to my Harmony remote and configuring various activities to use it was a breeze. Works great.

While playing music (mp3s from an XMod wireless device), I closed my eyes and could've sworn that the music was playing on nice, big floor standing speakers with surround speakers.

An excellent purchase - in my opinion. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrei View Post

That is nice to hear. Did you end up having to move your couch? And how stable is the soundbar on top of your tv?

post #42 of 42 Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Liked: 11
Those wooden blocks are used for either spacing off the wall OR as feet to elevate the unit. They discuss both uses in the manual.

I used them as feet to elevate the unit high enough to stand over that giant foot Panasonic used for the plasma a few years ago.
The unit virtually diappears into the TV.

That velcro idea sounds interesting. I can't believe setting it above rather than below the TV makes such a huge difference. Might have to check that out.

Unit works flawlessly with a Harmony remote.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page