Seeking Soundbar with DTS Decoding/Processing - Sony HT-CT500 or Yamaha YAS-71? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 01-22-2010, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am shopping for a soundbar and am having a hard time deciding between the Sony CT-500 and the Yamaha YAS71BL.

My Must Haves include DTS decoding, DD 5.1 decoding, clear audio (especially vocals in movies), reasonably loud, good bass and improvement over the TV's speakers (I have a 40" Sony Bravia 720p LCD TV).

Primary usage includes watching movies with DTS and DD 5.1 audio via a WDTV, HD TV via Verizon FIOS DVR and DVDs with an old DVD player.

I have my WDTV and FIOS DVR connected to the TV via HDMI. Would like to connect the Optical Audio Out from both WDTV and FIOS DVR to the SoundBar's receiver (because although my TV has an Optical Out, it doesn't pass through DTS and DD 5.1 audio - just drops/ignores them).

I have no desire (and don't see a need at this time) to pass video through the sound bar. The Vizio is out of the question as it doesn't do DTS decoding.

I see the CT-500 for over $400 and the YAS71 for under $300 online.

I've read comparisons between the CT-100 and the YAS71 - stating that YAS71 is way better.

How about the CT-500 and the YAS71? How do they compare? In what ways is the CT-500 better than the YAS71? Does it have more features/connection options (other than the BraviaLink with my TV ofcourse).

Are there any other soundbars in the same price range (~ $300) that are comparable?

Thanks,
MediocreFred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-22-2010, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

There is also another one with similar capabilities, the Denon DHT-FS3.

Im pretty much in the same situation as OP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Liked: 11
Fred, since you're in PDX, you may want to drop into NW Sony Only and demo the Sony CT-100 and CT-500. They are set up and you can bring in your own dvd or blueray disc and give them a listen.
post #4 of 42 Old 01-22-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion scrope. I have seen/heard the CT-100 and was not very impressed. However, I understand that the CT-500 is far superior.

I am more interested in either seeing or hearing/reading opinions of those that have seen A-B comparisons of the CT-500 and YAS-71.

Specifically, I would like to know if the CT-500 is worth ~ $200 more than the YAS-71. Is it really that much better? If so, in what way?

I am used to buying almost everything online sight unseen - based purely on online research and forums such as these. So far, I have never been disappointed.

It's almost as if I trust the observations and opinions of others more than I trust my own!

I've read through every thread dealing with the CT500 and the YAS-71, but, cannot find any information comparing them against each other.

Thanks.
post #5 of 42 Old 01-23-2010, 01:02 PM

I believe it will be a bit tough finding someone who has properly demoed both units, especially in the same environment. The boxes these bars come in aren't exactly mobile, and were way bigger than I thought.

From the way I see it, the CT500 has a couple of advantages over the YAS71, that being a stronger amp, and better connectivity. The woofer and bar are also wider and longer than the YAS71's, which may or may not benefit you.

I have only listened to the CT500 at Fry's, where they had it setup in a very poor environment such that no one would have been able to asses an accurate impression of its sound quality.

As an owner of the YAS-71, I can tell you that the unit provides crisp and clean bass (no mush) when properly set up, but of course a lot of factors contribute to this (soundbar placement, isolation, room environment and subwoofer placement). I have absolutely no trouble hearing dialogue on this unit at all. It comes out clean and clear and that is with all matters of audio compression turned off. It's impressive.

So the question is, are the CT500's extra power and better connectivity worth the premium to you? If you have a large room, then I would say yes, because as much as I love the YAS-71, I don't think it would cut it in a large living room. But for medium/small rooms, it is fantastic.
post #6 of 42 Old 01-24-2010, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

shenrei, thanks very much for your reply. That does help.

My living room is 15' x 15' with three and a half walls (the right rear half wall is open to the kitchen) and a flat ceiling. Will the YAS-71 be adequate for a room this size? The TV is against one wall and the sofa against the opposite wall.

We don't play movies super loud, but, still like the dialogs to be clear and audible without having to have the rest of the movie sounds (action sequences and so on) be oppressively loud.

The connectors on the YAS-71 are just adequate for now and I have no plans for more equipment, but, who knows what the future will bring.

The extra power of the CT500 does sound appealing, but, given the size of the room, I am not sure if it will add value. We find our TV's speakers more than adequately loud - it is just lacks clarity and crispness - it can just get very loud.

In our media room, I have a Denon 4205R receiver with fairly decent 5.1 speakers, a 92" screen and a projector. I certainly don't expect the soundbar to deliver anywhere close to that experience. My main reason/need for the soundbar is to decode DTS and DD audio streams and sound better (clearer, cleaner, crisper, some bass, reasonably loud) than the TV's speakers.

If the CT500 was in the price range of the YAS-71 (+ or - $50), I would have jumped on it. But, with the CT500 being almost $200 more than the YAS-71, I am not so sure.

If you or anybody else can tell me that the YAS-71 will be adequate for me (in a 15 x 15 living room) and all that the CT500 will get me for the extra $200 is more power and more input connectors (I have a Harmony remote and so, the BraviaLink is not that useful), I'll get the YAS-71 this week.

Thanks for all your help.
post #7 of 42 Old 01-24-2010, 04:04 PM

The YAS-71 should do just fine in a 15 x 15 room. Will the soundbar be mounted, or placed on a stand? If placed on a stand, it will not be too low.

A friend of mine just purchased a YAS71 off of Provantage for 255 out the door, including shipping, which is fantastic. Unfortunately, the price rose about 30-40 since then. The CT500 can be found for 380ish out the door there, so you're looking at a $100 difference between the two, which isn't too much actually.
post #8 of 42 Old 01-24-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of just placing the soundbar on right in front of the TV.

I've been reading more about the CT500 all morning and am now leaning towards it - it does give me more options to upgrade components down the road.

Is there any advantage that the YAS-71 has over the CT500 other than the price? Is the Yamaha better in any way?

With the CT500, I might velcro it to the top of the TV, or, mount it on the wall right above the TV.

I was looking to buy the YAS-71 for $279 at buy.com or the CT500 for $399 at Newegg.

Provantage's shipping is quite high and its price with shipping comes pretty close to buy.com or Newegg - both of which have free shipping.

Thanks.
post #9 of 42 Old 01-24-2010, 05:05 PM

From what I've read, the Sony soundbar is a bit wider than the Yammie one (38 inches vs 31.5 inches).

The remote of the Yamaha has a smaller foot print, and generally very easy to configure and use, with easy 1 touch settings, but that should be a non issue since you are using a universal remote.

The main issue would be sound quality. I can't speak for the Sony or how well it does dialogue as I have not experienced it in a proper setting...
post #10 of 42 Old 01-24-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again.

The width of the Sony should be OK if I wall mount the soundbar right above the TV; it does make it hard to move the TV around though...

As for sound quality, the main CT500 thread has numerous positive comments. Although, I haven't found any comparing it with the YAS-71.

For the extra $120, I am leaning more and more towards the Sony. A purely subjective question. If you had to pick between them now, which would you pick and why? I just want to make sure that I have not overlooked considering any factors/angles.

Thanks.
post #11 of 42 Old 01-24-2010, 05:50 PM

A good question.

Ergonomic reasons aside, I would still pick the Yamaha YAS-71 because:

1. Sound Quality: Even with the cheaper price, I feel the sound quality is uncompromised for my needs. Everytime I put on a Bluray, I am still impressed by the sound quality and volume of this unit, enough that I don't really care or think about how the other units might sound. Very satisfied, and it was just what I was looking for.

2, Low key remote. The remote of this unit makes it very easy to setup and configure. There are no menus to browse through, and every function of the unit is mapped to a separate button.

Note that this is *after* I added small cushioned isolation pads underneath the unit to isolate it from my TV stand. Before adding those, then yes, I would probably be thinking about how the other models sound, such as the CT500 or the Denon DHT FS-3, and would possibly purchase one of them to try out if returns were easier.
post #12 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 AM

I am in a very simlar situation, between the YAS-71 and Sony HT-CT500. Some more data points of note:

1. warranty: Yamaha is 2year labor+parts, while Sony is 1 year labor+parts

2. Features vs. price: Sony has more features, including HDMI, upscaling, component input etc., while Yamaha has only the minimal features that are really needed. I am somehow tempted to think that hence Yamaha provides high quality for provided features, but Sony may not, since there are a lot of features, both for given MSRP (Sony = 500, Yamaha = 600), I dont know if this is a valid point to compare, but please I just mentioned it for whatever it is worth.

3. Speaker frequency response and THD specs:

I could not find the frequency response for the Sony speakers. An interesting point to note would be when the sub crosses over and the overall frequency response range. It looks like the YAS-71 is 35-120Hz (Sub) and 120Hz-20Khz (other speakers).

YAS-71:

YAS·71CU
• Type 2 way acoustic suspension magnetic shielding type
• Driver
Woofer. 8 cm (3") cone magnetic shielding type x 4 (L2, R2)
Tweeter. 2.5 cm (I") balanced dome magnetic shielding type
x2(Ll,RI)
• Frequency Response 120 Hz to 20 kHz (-10 dB)
• Dimensions (W x H x D) 800 x 105 x 100 mm
(Approx. 31-1/2" x 4-118" x 3-15/16")
• Weight 5 kg
(Approx. II Ibs.)
YAS·71SPX
Amplifier
• Minimum RMS output power per channel
LlR 55 W + 55 W (I kHz 1% THD + N)
Subwoofer 55 W (100 Hz 1% THD + N)
• Maximum power per channel
LIR 70 W + 70 W (I kHz 10% THD + N)
Subwoofer 70 W (100 Hz 10% THD + N)

Sony:

RMS output power FL/FRlC*: 100 watts (per channel at 4 ohms, I kHz, 10%THD)
Subwoofer: 100 watts (4 ohms, 100 Hz, 10% THD)

4. LPCM: Sony supports LPCM, hence the Dolby True HD, DTS-HD codecs, if uncompressed to LPCM by the player and sent to this unit, can be played. But, there is a limitation (quote from crutchfiled web site), I do not know what this means:

Note: This system does not support Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD or Linear PCM sampling frequencies of no more than 48 kHz

However, anyways we are going with soundbar foregoing true 5.1 or 7.1, hence I do not know if it will matter between Dolby Digital vs. Dolby True HD.

Overall, I am inclined to go with the YAS-71 vs Sony.

Denon DHT-FS3, MSRP $1200, available in Amazon for ~$400 is another choice I am looking at. CNet review of that says it has a "wide surround field" available only in the higher priced Yamaha YSP models; this point is attractive to me.
post #13 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 AM

The Sony specs say:

Sub Woofer Crossover: Fix 200Hz

I am a newbie to speakers/audio stuff, but from what I have read so far, it looks like 80Hz or below for the sub gives a nondirectional effect, but greater than that, the perception of which sound comes from the sub vs. the other speakers is obvious, and might affect the experience. 120Hz is closer to 80Hz, another reason to with YAS-71 (I think). For comparison, I think the Denon crosses over at 150Hz.

I think with YAS71 and Sony, the speaker levels are individually adjustable, while with the Denon, they cannot be.

At this point, everything leads to YAS71 for me.
post #14 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

shenrei, thanks for responding to the subjective question. Good points.

mathruj, thanks for the data points.

I read about the Denon, but, ruled it out because it is a discontinued model that in only available used on Amazon and because it doesn't have the ability to control volumes of individual speakers/channels.

With the YAS-71, I will be using up all of the inputs right away. If I ever purchased a bluray player or any other component, I would have to either unplug one of my existing components, or, upgrade the soundbar.

Also, 99% of the movies I watch are using my WDTV - the original version which doesn't have a DTS decoder. Using the optical output on the WDTV, I can have it pass through any audio stream to a receiver. For now, I haven't tried any media files with DTS-HD or direct BluRay format rips.

With the YAS-71, I can only play movies with DTS and DD encoded audio streams (in addition to AC3 and all the regular formats). If I had a DTS-HD or a native BluRay audio stream, I would not be able to play it. With the CT500, I can play all of those as well. So, while no piece of electronics is going to be truly future-proof, the Sony might serve my needs longer than the Yamaha.

That said, I do see your points regarding Yamaha's reputation and sound quality.

Additionally, the slightly suspect build quality of the CT500s (from its thread) have me hesitating about buying it from NewEgg or Provantage - both of which will have me pay for return shipping if I do end up with a defective unit.

mathruj - thanks for bringing up the aspect of the Sony having many more features for the same price which may indicate compromised sound quality. While the features are all cool, I know that I will not be using the BraviaLink (although I have a Sony TV) and for now, I am not planning on passing HDMI through the CT500. I have a Harmony remote that I am perfectly happy with for switching between different activities (Watch WDTV, Watch TV, Watch DVD, ...). I understand that if I want to watch DTS-HD and BluRay using WDTV, I'll have to pass HDMI through the CT500. So, the on screen display/menu of the CT500 is not of much use for now.

Despite all this, it is the thought that the CT500 will be a little more future proof than the YAS-71 (which I'll be maxing out right away) that is keeping me undecided.

As for the CT500's 200Hz crossover, the fact that it sounds good (I am not sure if it sounds non-directional) from the reviews makes it less of a concern for me.

I do like the CT500's NightMode which kills all the bass at the push of a button (or is it in the menu...).

If only somebody who has compared them both in similar circumstances can comment on the sound quality of both units...

Thanks.
post #15 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 AM

Ok.

YHT-S400 is a new one, which has HDMI and has a similar model as the CT500 (Sub+Receiver) for $499:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-S40.../dp/B002ZG7WIA
post #16 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathruj View Post

from crutchfiled web site), I do not know what this means:

Note: This system does not support Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD or Linear PCM sampling frequencies of no more than 48 kHz

However, anyways we are going with soundbar foregoing true 5.1 or 7.1, hence I do not know if it will matter between Dolby Digital vs. Dolby True HD.

All that means is you can't send a PCM stream that is higher than 48khz (like 88.2, 96, 192) to the soundbar, which makes sense because that would take up a lot of space. This isnt really an issue since most bluray players, if not all, can output at a specific wordclock.
post #17 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreFred View Post

With the YAS-71, I will be using up all of the inputs right away. If I ever purchased a bluray player or any other component, I would have to either unplug one of my existing components, or, upgrade the soundbar.

Also, 99% of the movies I watch are using my WDTV - the original version which doesn't have a DTS decoder. Using the optical output on the WDTV, I can have it pass through any audio stream to a receiver. For now, I haven't tried any media files with DTS-HD or direct BluRay format rips.

With the YAS-71, I can only play movies with DTS and DD encoded audio streams (in addition to AC3 and all the regular formats). If I had a DTS-HD or a native BluRay audio stream, I would not be able to play it. With the CT500, I can play all of those as well. So, while no piece of electronics is going to be truly future-proof, the Sony might serve my needs longer than the Yamaha.

I do like the CT500's NightMode which kills all the bass at the push of a button (or is it in the menu...).

There are optical switchers you can buy in the event you run out of optical connections. (Not that I've ever used them, but the option is there)

Unless you really care about lossless quality (and I wouldn't with a budget soundbar setup), I wouldn't worry too much about DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD as both of those codecs are designed and specified to be downward compatible with DD and DTS.

The Yamaha YAS-71 has a night mode as well.

I am definitely not feeling that YHT-S400, mainly due to the woofer being housed in a horizontal casing designed to be the centerpiece. That prohibits the woofer being placed in an optimum environment. The fact that most people would place that receiver/woofer on their stand as a centerpiece means more vibration to the stand itself, along with all the other electronic pieces sitting near it. That is not good.
post #18 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

OK... so between the two of you (shenrei and mathruj), you've got me reconsidering the YAS-71.

So, shenrei, here's my concern regarding the lossless HD audio streams. I realize that quality-wise they mean nothing on a 2.1 or 3.1 system; however, if the only audio stream in a BR-ripped mkv file is the HD audio stream, will YAS-71 be able to play it? I am not sure if you have used the WDTV, but, will the WDTV pass this audio stream through its optical output (I know that it passes DTS and DD5.1 streams to the receiver)?

I share your opinion of the YHT-S400. That and the price is a fair bit more than what I had planned to spend.

I know you've said this before, but, I just want to clarify - is a 15' x 15' room stretching the YAS-71's abilities/range, or, will it be a good fit?

One last (for now) question... how is the YAS-71 for playing music - predominantly classical? I have a Creative XMod XFi wireless player that I am planning on hooking up to the RCA input jacks of the YAS-71. The music files are predominantly 128kbps mp3 files. I am currently using a set of Logitech computer speakers to play them and so, this should be better. But, how is the quality of the speakers for music in general? Will it be loud enough (and pleasant enough) to listen to from an adjoining room?

Thanks for all your help!
post #19 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM

I have never used a WDTV or know much about them, so you might want to ask someone who does. Or maybe try hooking up the WDTV to another receiver to see how it works out (like that Denon one you have). But basically any 2 channel stereo stream will be processed and output in Dolby Pro Logic II. I don't know how HD audio streams work from the WDTV but if they really are BR rips, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

As for the room size question, it should suffice but I wanna ask you, where is your optimal sitting position and how far away will you be from the TV and the soundbar? Also, how high will the soundbar be?

Due to the limitations of the sound bar, and that the drivers are tightly enclosed in a small structure (unlike a 5.1 setup where all speakers are spread out), they tend to have a smaller sweet spot. Meaning if you were to walk around the room, the soundbar's sound will have a more prohibitive projection in sound, as opposed to a complete 5.1 system. It isn't as bad as it sounds, but the difference is there.

As for music, what I said above applies, especially if you are listening in an adjacent room. It plays music well enough, and loud. I tend to watch music videos a lot and it plays them great. Prior to purchasing the unit I have read reviews where people have said that music sounds better in "stereo" mode. I will have to disagree with them. The only time it sounded better in Stereo mode for me is when the unit is not setup properly. Listening to music in Pro Logic II with one of the DSP modes is MUCH better than using stereo mode.
post #20 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again shenrei.

My living room is a 15' square - call the 4 walls A, B, C and D - walking clockwise along the square so A and C are opposite sides.

The TV is in the middle of A on an ~ 18" tall TV table (you know the kind with wheels and a single shelf for equipment). The viewing location is a sofa against wall C - right behind the sofa is a huge window with horizontal wooden blinds. Side D has a fireplace in the middle. Side B has a half wall - the back/rear half is open and leads to the kitchen. The roof is either 10 or 12 feet high. The seating position works out to about 12 feet from the TV.

I intend to either place the speakerbar on the TV table right in front of the TV or, velcro it to the top of the TV - not sure how well the velcro solution works, but, I've read about others doing it. Where would you recommend placing the yamaha soundbar? I've read your review and know that you tried different positions and settings.

As for the isolation pads that you purchased from Radio Shack, would you happen to have a link to the item, or, a picture? Can it be anything that raises it above the surface, or, does it have to be a particular material?

Good to know that it sounds great with music.

Thanks again.
post #21 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Okay. That information is useful.

My thoughts are that the soundbar will sound bad, or with significant degraded performance if placed only 18" from the ground, moreso since you will be sitting 12 feet away (which sounds awfully far to me).

Here's why:

For the most part, the best listening position is with the speakers at around, or close to, ear level. Going over or under a bit is fine, but too much (ie you dont want a steep angle between the speaker and your ears) and it will not sound its best. You can compensate for this with distance, like by sitting far away, but the problem here with sitting too far away is that once the sound reaches your ears, it would have reflected off of the ceiling/floors or absorbed into the carpet. To again compensate for this, you would want to place the soundbar higher than normal, which is what I would recommend.

Here are the pads:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103342

Slap 4 on each side and you're good to go.
post #22 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to the pads.

Good to know that the tabletop (at 18") is a poor choice for placing the soundbar. Ear level or slightly higher would mean the top of the TV.

What are your thoughts/opinions on sticking the soundbar to the top of the TV using velcro strips?

The 12 feet distance from the TV - I arrived at this by subtracting approximately the distance of the sofa seat from the rear wall and the TV from its wall; I've measured the wall to wall width to be exactly 15'. Even if the distance is 12 feet, if I mount the speakers above ear level, it should still sound pretty darned good, right?

Thanks.
post #23 of 42 Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 PM

For a viewing distance of 12 feet, above ear level is what you what - this way you minimize floor and ceiling reflection. The farther you are, the higher you'd want it to be.

To be honest with you though, I am a bit uncomfortable recommending the YAS 71 if your viewing distance is more than 9 feet. That's not to say it won't do the job, but at that distance I am unsure on how well it would perform.

As for the velcro thing, I am unfamiliar with it. Perhaps someone else could chime in on that?
post #24 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 AM

Liked: 11
I just purchased the YAS-71 last week.

As far as concerns about the power, I have it in a corner of a 20 x 20 room with 10 foot ceilings, both the rear walls almost completely open to entry, kitchen, and dining room. Seating distance is about 13 to 16 feet depending on which chair I choose.

I am not entirely sure how large a number the volume goes up to, but I rarely have it turned up to 40, which I suspect is maybe 1/2 way. I have the sub volume turned down to -5 (out of 6)
While a little more power might be nice, I don't think it would be a deal breaker.

I haven't played much with tuning it for simulated surround, but I suspect the effect will be very minimal.
post #25 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

I am sold. Just purchased the YAS-71 from buy.com this morning.

If the volume/distance ends up being that big an issue, I'll convince my wife to move the sofa closer to the TV. It's probably easier said than done (the convincing, not the moving)...

kirsch92, thanks for posting. That's good to know that the yamaha performs well in a room that size. How and where do you have the soundbar mounted?

Thanks!
post #26 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM

MediocreFred, You might want to verify if buy.com is an authorized dealer.

I do not see it in this list:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/d...atorYEC&lpos=A

If they are not an authorized dealer, Yamaha may not honor the warranty, in case you need it. You might want to verify with buy.com and/or Yamaha regarding this.

All the best - enjoy your YAS-71. I think I will follow suit shortly.
post #27 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Shoot... you are right. Buy.com is not an authorized dealer for Yamaha products.

I called Buy.com and the CS rep said that they've never had issues with Yamaha not honoring the warranty on products they've sold.

I called Yamaha and a pretty rude/curt CS rep said that since buy.com was not on the list, Yamaha would not honor the warranty for items purchased from them.

Buy.com has a 30 day exchange policy for defective items (with free return shipping).

Part of me feels that if it works defect-free for 30 days, it will work for the next 11 months (I've never had electronics components fail within their warranty period - except a couple that were DOA and easily exchanged). Also, even if I had the warranty, Yamaha does not refund return shipping; so, if I had to return the speaker to Yamaha for servicing/repair, I would have to ship it by UPS - which would cost close to $100.

Another part of me is convinced that since I've typed the previous paragraph, I've jinxed the soundbar and it WILL fail within the first year.

Regardless, I am not sure if it is worth the hassle of refusing buy.com's shipment (it's already shipped!) and ordering it from elsewhere.

Again, I solicit opinions.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathruj View Post

MediocreFred, You might want to verify if buy.com is an authorized dealer.

I do not see it in this list:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/d...atorYEC&lpos=A

If they are not an authorized dealer, Yamaha may not honor the warranty, in case you need it. You might want to verify with buy.com and/or Yamaha regarding this.

All the best - enjoy your YAS-71. I think I will follow suit shortly.

post #28 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 01:46 PM

If I were you, I would consider rejecting the UPS shipment when it arrives at your door from buy.com if buy.com would accept returns of unopened items and you dont lose any money.

After that, try newegg or one of the other authorized dealers to price match buy.com. If not, still the $20 extra (newegg is $299), I would still pay and wait for a few more days, if the buy.com return works out clean. Again, that is my opinion.

If you do not want that hassle, or would lose money in restocking fees etc., then go ahead and enjoy the sound bar :-) I have taken extended warranty in the past on TV, camera, camorder, and none of those are yet to fail on me (touch wood), and the battery failed once, they said the warranty wont cover it.

Just make sure you use basic precaution like surge protector, etc. so that you wont blow the system. Your credit card might possibly cover 90-day accidental damage (some versions of amex do cover). Try calling your credit card to see if they cover any warranty if buy.com does not.

Hope this helps.
post #29 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I purchased the soundbar with a Visa Signature card which has a Warranty Manager feature - it doubles the manufacturer warrant by a year. I called them, described the scenario and asked them if they would cover it. They said that as long as the product itself came with a warranty and I registered it with the Warranty Manager service as soon as I received it, they would cover/honor it regardless of the manufacturer's policies about warranties and authorized dealers.

So, I guess I'll keep the soundbar from buy.com. It cost me $262 with a 10 off 200 coupon for new customers (a new email, userid and password is a new account) and 3% cashback from FatWallet.

Another person has posted on the other YAS-71 thread that he was able to talk to the Sales Manager at 6th Ave (an authorized dealer) and get the YAS-71 for $249. This is probably the best approach for others interested in this soundbar.

Thanks guys for all your help, opinions and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Will post back with my comments after I receive it and set it up.

Thanks.
post #30 of 42 Old 01-26-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreFred View Post

I purchased the soundbar with a Visa Signature card which has a Warranty Manager feature - it doubles the manufacturer warrant by a year. I called them, described the scenario and asked them if they would cover it. They said that as long as the product itself came with a warranty and I registered it with the Warranty Manager service as soon as I received it, they would cover/honor it regardless of the manufacturer's policies about warranties and authorized dealers.

So, I guess I'll keep the soundbar from buy.com. It cost me $262 with a 10 off 200 coupon for new customers (a new email, userid and password is a new account) and 3% cashback from FatWallet.

Another person has posted on the other YAS-71 thread that he was able to talk to the Sales Manager at 6th Ave (an authorized dealer) and get the YAS-71 for $249. This is probably the best approach for others interested in this soundbar.

Thanks guys for all your help, opinions and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Will post back with my comments after I receive it and set it up.

Thanks.

I see that amazon is an authorized dealer but yet amazon is selling directly from buy.com. It's basically the same thing except buying through another party as opposed to the way you did it.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page