Sony CT-100 soundbar NOT loud enough! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All: I just got my Sony CT-100 soundbar and connected my Time Warner Samsung cable box via HDMI to the CT-100 Soundbar's subwoofer, then via another HDMI from the soundbar's subwoofer to my Panasonic 32X1 LCD (soon to upgrade from this 32X1 Panasonic to the Sony 46EX500).

The volume achievable from this soundbar is not sufficiently loud enough for my taste. In many situations, it would be sufficiently loud - but in other situations, it is not loud enough. I can say that I would easily like it to be 1/3 louder, if not even more!

May I ask what other owners think about the volume they are able to get out of this CT-100 Sony soundbar? What about the quality of the sound? To me, the highs are all veiled and muffled.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can you return it for a refund?

Soundbars generally suck so that's why it sounds weak and muffled.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 AM

Well, I generally would agree with QuiGonJosh, but if a soundbar is the only solution that works for you, I'd try to upgrade to the CT-500. I use one of those for my bedroom TV and it goes insanely loud and is very clear at higher volumes. I had debated between the 100 and 500 and eventually went with the 500 after reading several complaints about center channel voice being too quiet and unclear using the CT-100. I got the CT-500 for only $100 more than the CT-100 off NewEgg.
post #4 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

Hi All: I just got my Sony CT-100 soundbar and connected my Time Warner Samsung cable box via HDMI to the CT-100 Soundbar's subwoofer, then via another HDMI from the soundbar's subwoofer to my Panasonic 32X1 LCD (soon to upgrade from this 32X1 Panasonic to the Sony 46EX500).

The volume achievable from this soundbar is not sufficiently loud enough for my taste. In many situations, it would be sufficiently loud - but in other situations, it is not loud enough. I can say that I would easily like it to be 1/3 louder, if not even more!

May I ask what other owners think about the volume they are able to get out of this CT-100 Sony soundbar? What about the quality of the sound? To me, the highs are all veiled and muffled.

Thanks in advance.

Very nice integrated unit for $250 or so. However, that unit is not designed to play "loud". For that matter, it is more or less a complete small den or bedroom system. Heck, if you want to play "loud" in a slightly larger room than a small bedroom, you have to get bigger and pay a lot more money.

Sony-ht-ct100 cnet Review link
post #5 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thx, gents, for your reply posts.

may i ask if anyone has found or discovered bass/treble controls for the CT-100? i find that voices and basically everything has a veiled, muffled sound that lacks crispy highs. that may be due to the fact that the 3 speakers inside the soundbar are all single driver units, lacking any tweeters.

still, the sound is so veiled and muffled that i find it intolerable.

thx in advance.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC View Post

Well, I generally would agree with QuiGonJosh, but if a soundbar is the only solution that works for you, I'd try to upgrade to the CT-500. I use one of those for my bedroom TV and it goes insanely loud and is very clear at higher volumes. I had debated between the 100 and 500 and eventually went with the 500 after reading several complaints about center channel voice being too quiet and unclear using the CT-100. I got the CT-500 for only $100 more than the CT-100 off NewEgg.

BillY2KFRC: thx for your recommendation of the CT-500.

may i ask anyone if they know how many and what types of drivers are INSIDE the soundbar portion of the CT-500?

I was disappointed to find out that on the CT-100, there are 3 drivers and each is a simple full-range unit, i.e. no tweeters at all! This could well explain why the sound of this soundbar is veiled and muffled-sounding.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-20-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC View Post

I agree with your comment completely as I too own the 500 and glad I went against the 100.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-21-2010, 03:24 PM

This is an issue with all CT-100s unless playing a DVD or video game. I had a CT-100 for a year. It gets as loud as I want for DVDs and video games but will not get loud enough for cable/sat. I replaced my CT-100 with the CT-500. Not only does the CT-500 have better surround effect it gets very.......loud. I have not had to get even close to max volume on the CT-500. Though for some reason Sony stopped make the CT-500 yet continue to make the CT-100. Also the CT-150 (CT-100 replacement) and CT350 (CT-500 replacement) are coming out very soon.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-30-2010, 01:20 PM

New member here. just wanted to give my opinion as i recently purchased this system. DO NOT run any of the HDMI connections through anything but the t.v.. Connect the woofer with the optical cable into the t.v. and this should boost your sound quality and you'll have sound coming from the t.v. as well as the soundbar system + when you turn off the t.v. the soundbar will also turn off. hope this helps.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeLuv View Post

New member here. just wanted to give my opinion as i recently purchased this system. DO NOT run any of the HDMI connections through anything but the t.v.. Connect the woofer with the optical cable into the t.v. and this should boost your sound quality and you'll have sound coming from the t.v. as well as the soundbar system + when you turn off the t.v. the soundbar will also turn off. hope this helps.

So your saying run hdmi from subwoofer to tv , then optical cable from subwoofer to tv ? Two cables ? What brand tv are you using ?
post #11 of 20 Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
John, I have owned and used a Yamaha Sound Projector for three years, the Sony CT-100 for one month and currently am usng a Vizio soundbar. Both the Yamaha and Sony lacked what I considered proper dynamics. The Vizio had both better dynamics and more natural voices and at less than 1/10th the cost of the Yamaha. I am not saying that either of the other units was bad, just for my use the dynamics of the Vizio were a lot more natural than either of the others.

While using a soundbar I always connected all of my components to the TV and used the one TV output to the soundbar. I would much rather make adjustments to the picture for each input than worry about simulated surround sound from the soundbar. Personal belief is that a soundbar is to enhance audio quality over the crappy speakers most manufacturers include with their televisions, not surround or simulated surround sound. To me it always sounds fake. And I don't blame the set manufacturers completely for the lousy sound. As the sets get skinnier, it is harder to find a place for an enlosure and a decent speaker.

David Freeman
post #12 of 20 Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Thank you for taking the time out to reply.
I'm gonna check walmart tomorrow and see if that $98 is the in store price..I was set on getting a sony , but for that price I can't pass it up..I have a small apartment the tv room is only 14x17 so the vizio just might work..
post #13 of 20 Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Low Efficiency and Power Combined with Small Drivers Equals NOT loud enough!

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #14 of 20 Old 06-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

Thanks in advance.

I have CT100 in a smaller living room and feel the volume is very sufficient. I have not ever had to listen to cable, DVD/BD, Wii at max volume. Typically at night when I'm the only one up I rarely get volume over 15 and I am 10ft away from center speaker when on the couch. I use optical from CT100 to TWC cable box (due to HDMI handshake issues) and Digital coax from BD player to CT100. I use the following LEVEL MODE settings: Center = +6 and Subwoofer = -3.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #15 of 20 Old 06-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Steve , do you have the hdmi control < on ? Do you have DCR on standrard , max or off ?
post #16 of 20 Old 06-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john44a View Post

Steve , do you have the hdmi control < on ? Do you have DCR on standrard , max or off ?

HDMI Control OFF and I couldn't tell much of a difference between the DRC settings so mine is OFF.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #17 of 20 Old 06-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So your saying run hdmi from subwoofer to tv , then optical cable from subwoofer to tv ? Two cables ? What brand tv are you using ?

Moe was saying to not have HDMI from CT100 to TV, he uses HDMI from devices to the TV then Optical cable from TV output to CT100 (optical cable comes packed with the unit also). I know it's more cables but I prefer to have HDMI from devices to TV and then each device to CT100 via optical or Digital Coax because most TV's will not send out DD or DTS to the CT100 using the TV out which is what he was talking about because the 2.0 will be louder. Doing it the way I have I do get DD and DTS.

post #18 of 20 Old 06-07-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

HDMI Control OFF and I couldn't tell much of a difference between the DRC settings so mine is OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

Moe was saying to not have HDMI from CT100 to TV, he uses HDMI from devices to the TV then Optical cable from TV output to CT100 (optical cable comes packed with the unit also).

Oh I see..As for the DRC on mine ,set to standard it seems to keep the commercials from blaring.But thats about it.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh I see..As for the DRC on mine ,set to standard it seems to keep the commercials from blaring.But thats about it.

Thanks for that info. I will try that out and see if I notice a difference. If it works my wife will be happy because the loud commercials drives her crazy.

post #20 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Do those of you experiencing too low a maximum volume have your "soundbar" and "sub" levels set to "0"? What if you increased both to their max setting (6?)? Shouldn't that increase the output significantly?
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page