post #361 of 2096 Old 07-21-2010, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet396 View Post

Initial impressions of the unit: not too impressed so far. Was hoping for better. If I had paid the full $225 instead of getting it as part of my credit card rewards, I would probably be taking it back. But, at the least, it is better than my TV's internal speakers. A feat that is not hard to accomplish.

Given some more time with the unit I have to say that choosing different soundfields is a MUST. I was running with it on standard or 2ch stereo previously. Sports I found sounds nice with regular TV viewing like my wife's reality tv shows and other dialogue little-to-no music programs. I also found Movie & Game to sound nicely punched up (over standard) without being too weird of a change.

I can tell it's going to take a fair amount of time playing with the levels and different soundfields before I find the best mix.

This is the first time I've ever used a DSP field on an audio unit and found it to be better than the natural setting. It's the nature of the device, I'm sure, but I wasn't expecting it. My experience lies with other mid-end receivers and speakers that prefer to pass through the audio from its source with as little post-processing as possible - getting out of the way, if you will. It's apparently this unit's strength to bastardize the data with all sorts of trickery until it sounds bigger & better than it really is .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2096 Old 07-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet396 View Post

Given some more time with the unit I have to say that choosing different soundfields is a MUST. I was running with it on standard or 2ch stereo previously. Sports I found sounds nice with regular TV viewing like my wife's reality tv shows and other dialogue little-to-no music programs. I also found Movie & Game to sound nicely punched up (over standard) without being too weird of a change.

I can tell it's going to take a fair amount of time playing with the levels and different soundfields before I find the best mix.

This is the first time I've ever used a DSP field on an audio unit and found it to be better than the natural setting. It's the nature of the device, I'm sure, but I wasn't expecting it. My experience lies with other mid-end receivers and speakers that prefer to pass through the audio from its source with as little post-processing as possible - getting out of the way, if you will. It's apparently this unit's strength to bastardize the data with all sorts of trickery until it sounds bigger & better than it really is .

do you like it more now?
post #363 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 AM

Hi guys, I need some help from someone that's purchased the CT350. Can you measure the size of the box and estimate the weight of this monster? I'm trying to convince a friend to bring one back on his trip to Florida for me!
post #364 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 05:00 AM

What is the best placement for the subwoofer for CT100?
Can I stick it behind the TV? Wife would be happy if she cannot see it
post #365 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsan View Post

What is the best placement for the subwoofer for CT100?
Can I stick it behind the TV? Wife would be happy if she cannot see it

Subwoofer has non-directional sound so in theory any place works. BUT on these units the remote control sensor is also on the subwoofer unit (top right corner) so it has to be visible somehow unless you have a remote with RF that would take care of that.
post #366 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

Subwoofer has non-directional sound so in theory any place works. BUT on these units the remote control sensor is also on the subwoofer unit (top right corner) so it has to be visible somehow unless you have a remote with RF that would take care of that.

so, can I put it on the side of the tv stand? I have a CT100 and it has a subwoofer on the right, however, right side of my room is just stairs.
And also the cone on the front of the subwoofer, can I cover it (with a cloth) or I have to leave open? Sorry wife thinks the subwoofer is very big
post #367 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:

so, can I put it on the side of the tv stand? I have a CT100 and it has a subwoofer on the right, however, right side of my room is just stairs.
And also the cone on the front of the subwoofer, can I cover it (with a cloth) or I have to leave open? Sorry wife thinks the subwoofer is very big

On the side will be fine. Also, there's no visible speaker, the opening is towards the bottom so there's nothing to cover, the front is pretty much a solid black piece with a display on top that shows your source, audio type, volume, etc.
post #368 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

On the side will be fine. Also, there's no visible speaker, the opening is towards the bottom so there's nothing to cover, the front is pretty much a solid black piece with a display on top that shows your source, audio type, volume, etc.

That is for ct150. CT 100 has a visible speaker.
post #369 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

For the CT100 you can put the sub behind the TV stand, the IR receiver is located on the soundbar.

If you're talking CT150, you can still put the receiver behind the tv stand but you'll need to look into using an IR extender to relay your remote commands so the sub can still receive them.
post #370 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 AM

Thanks Velvet396 and also BSoares. I shall convince my wife. Just one more question. Is it ok if the cone is pointing towards the wall?
post #371 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Thanks Velvet396 and also BSoares. I shall convince my wife. Just one more question. Is it ok if the cone is pointing towards the wall?

Yes
post #372 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 08:30 AM

Hello guys,

I've used this forum quite a bit to get information, but this is the first time I'm actually posting something.

I bought the CT350 from B U Y . C O M , for $315 (right now it is $310.99) about two weeks ago. I used the free shipping option hoping to get it within 7-9 business days as I was in no hurry. Ordered Wednesday, got a confirmation on the same day, and on Thursday it was at my house (essentially got free next-day shipping). I guess they shipped from a warehouse in my state. That was pleasant.

At first I was a little underwhelmed by the system, as the loudness of the speakers was very low. I had to turn it to 40 to hear decent volume for movies and TV. However, after about 3 or 4 days, I had to turn it to 20 or 25 , as it was too loud. I guess the break-in period really does exist (I never heard this before, but am not an audiophile).

Overall I am very satsified with the system. For not having to deal with wires, it works flawlessly. Never owned either of the previous models (100 or 500), so I have nothing to compare it to, but I am very satisfied with the product. Simulation of surround works great during movies. I was using TV speakers on an LG 42LH40 before, so for me this is a huge step up. Looking forward to messing with the settings some more. I am running all of my gear (except for my nintendo wii) through it and think it's awesome that it reduced the number of wires running directly to my TV.

I'm looking forward to someone posting 'ideal' settings for the system that I can try at home.
post #373 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Other then the size of the sub, what are the advantages of the 350 compared to the 150? For the big difference in price (especially in Canada) is the 150 a better buy (room size 9x20)? I also have a 58 inch plasma tv.
Do they both have the same hdmi connectivity (3 in 1 out?)
post #374 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceARS View Post

Hi guys, I need some help from someone that's purchased the CT350. Can you measure the size of the box and estimate the weight of this monster? I'm trying to convince a friend to bring one back on his trip to Florida for me!

Carton is 22"W x 42"L x 10-1/2"D. Weighs 41.3 lbs according to FedEx.
post #375 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote: i have my CT150 center channel set to +5 and vocals are very defined. i never miss any words anymore. my GF used to make me rewind alot when we were watchin movies cuz she couldn't hear what they were saying thru the TV's speakers. since i've had my CT150, she has never asked me to rewind anything. that alone has me sold! lol

Just on this quote alone I am going to pick this up. It drives me up the wall when we are watching a movie and every 5 minutes I get asked " What did he say?"!!!

-P.
post #376 of 2096 Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 PM

Hi,

I just got the CT350 and hooked it up to my Panny G20, 360 and PS3. One of the "side-effects" (sound, of course, being the main effect) I was really looking forward to was the HDMI-CEC support. I have already CECd the G20 and the PS3, and that works great. However, only basic playback functions of the PS3 were controlable by the Panasonic's remote (cannot invoke the menu, for example). So, I figured that the CT350, being a Sony, must work perfectly with the PS3. Well, it turns out I cannot make it work at all. I RTFMd several times, still no deal. I can still control the PS3 with the Panny remote, as well as the volume of the CT350. However, Sony remote just won't do anything with either PS3 or the TV.

Has anyone been successful in making this work?
post #377 of 2096 Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 AM

Liked: 12
you could at least tell us what your impressions are.....of the bar that is
post #378 of 2096 Old 07-23-2010, 05:24 AM

I recently bought the HT-CT150 for use with my Samsung LN46C630 TV. I am very happy with it - though it is no match for my Onkyo 7.1 system in another room, it is a big improvement over the TV's native speakers.

I have a Panasonic BD-35K Blu-Ray player attached to it via HDMI. I have been playing with the Panny's output settings - I have tried Bitstream and PCM, both at 48 kHz and 96 kHz. Each of these sounds equally good - I have not been able to detect any real difference, leaving me to wonder what the "right" setting really is (since they sound the same to my ears, they are all arguably the right setting).

Dave
post #379 of 2096 Old 07-24-2010, 05:13 AM

Last night I watched a streaming netflix movie and I was surprized at how much wider and more natural the sound was compared to what ive been hearing with normal DVDs. I checked the signal and it was 2.0 lpcm. I guess the ct350 does a better job with a well mixed stereo track than mapping a 5.1 signal. Makes sense I guess.

My Humble but functional HTPC:
nMediaPC 1000B w/VCD
Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H, integrated ATI 4250 Graphics
Athlon II X3 Rana , 3.2 GHz
4GB Ram, 1.5TB WDEARS, Windows 7 32 bit

XBox GamerTag "ZhuAn"
post #380 of 2096 Old 07-24-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

you could at least tell us what your impressions are.....of the bar that is

I didn't really play all that much with it just yet. I hooked it up, skipped through the "Dark Knight" to check it out, and tried to configure the CEC so I can consolidate the amount of remotes in use. While I was a bit underwhelmed at the lower volume settings (under 30-35 while watching the said Blu-ray), overall, I liked what I have heard. Hopefully I'll have some time in a near future to play a bit more.
post #381 of 2096 Old 07-24-2010, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

But be sure to allow the woofer 12 inches of space on the right side (between the wall)...
post #382 of 2096 Old 07-24-2010, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by coflo View Post

Last night I watched a streaming netflix movie and I was surprized at how much wider and more natural the sound was compared to what ive been hearing with normal DVDs. I checked the signal and it was 2.0 lpcm. I guess the ct350 does a better job with a well mixed stereo track than mapping a 5.1 signal. Makes sense I guess.

You'd get the same effect by downcoverting 5.1 tracks to PCM (at the player), then listening in one of the two-channel sound fields...if you decide you like that better. Or, simply select a 2.0 track (if offered) and--again--go with a two-channel mode. Part of the appeal may stem from the lack of "fill," from the center channel. The gap creates a greater sense of stereo separation. That can also be enhanced with all drivers firing by lowering the center channel volume for 5.1 tracks a little (if it won't make the dialog inaudible).
post #383 of 2096 Old 07-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Liked: 11
Some posters have stated that they purchased from non-authorized online dealers. Is this a concern to you or anyone? The dealers mentioned (e.g. buy or provantage) are reputable, so the posters aren't dealing with fly-by-night operations.
post #384 of 2096 Old 07-27-2010, 05:31 AM

I've had the CT150 for a few weeks now and find I'm really satisfied with it. I have the soundbar on top of my Sony rear projection TV in a room just under 500 sq feet. The subwoofer sits beside (on the floor) the TV table/stand. Movie and music DVDs sound great. Adjusting the CNT level (3+) seems to take care of dialog problems associated using TV speakers. I adjusted SW level to 2+. I'll continue to make changes to find the best mix.
I'm not a big home theater (or music DVD guy) enthusiast so my needs are small.
I have no Xbox or game playing hardware which brings up a question in re: to listening to Netflix streaming movies. Currently I have my laptop hooked to my Sony "PC In" and watch Netflix (or Hulu) movies on the large screen from there (I have no box installed between my TV and Netflix).
What would be the cheapest way to hook my CT150 speakers to my internet movies?

Thanks.

Tony

Tony Olson
post #385 of 2096 Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyolson View Post

I've had the CT150 for a few weeks now and find I'm really satisfied with it. I have the soundbar on top of my Sony rear projection TV in a room just under 500 sq feet. The subwoofer sits beside (on the floor) the TV table/stand. Movie and music DVDs sound great. Adjusting the CNT level (3+) seems to take care of dialog problems associated using TV speakers. I adjusted SW level to 2+. I'll continue to make changes to find the best mix.
I'm not a big home theater (or music DVD guy) enthusiast so my needs are small.
I have no Xbox or game playing hardware which brings up a question in re: to listening to Netflix streaming movies. Currently I have my laptop hooked to my Sony "PC In" and watch Netflix (or Hulu) movies on the large screen from there (I have no box installed between my TV and Netflix).
What would be the cheapest way to hook my CT150 speakers to my internet movies?

Thanks.

Tony

how about using WDTV live or Asus O!Play?
post #386 of 2096 Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 AM

What's this I read about a break in period?

I, too, just purchased a CT150 and am very disappointed by it's volume output. I find myself setting it to the maximum (50) to fill my room. Where as if I'm using my TV speakers, I only need to set my TV speaker volume to about half way. I thought this soundbar would blow away my TV speakers but I'm not finding that to be the case. My TV speakers are louder. I'm considering returning the CT150 sound bar to the store.

BTW, I have Comcast Cable and my HDTV is Sony 46EX500. I've played with the my menu settings endlessly and tried hooking up the audio two ways: A) HDMI from cable box to Sound Bar and then HDMI from Sound Bar to TV B) HDMI from cable box to TV and then optical cable from TV to Sound Bar. The wimpy soft volume results for both ways.
post #387 of 2096 Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Liked: 12
you did read about the break thing period?! so you know various people have had this problem, but 3 days later the sound was ok at 25-30. just wait before returning it, and post back of course
post #388 of 2096 Old 07-27-2010, 03:17 PM

my normal volume is set between 16 to 20
i don't see any problem with volume
post #389 of 2096 Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey O View Post

What's this I read about a break in period?

I, too, just purchased a CT150 and am very disappointed by it's volume output. I find myself setting it to the maximum (50) to fill my room. Where as if I'm using my TV speakers, I only need to set my TV speaker volume to about half way. I thought this soundbar would blow away my TV speakers but I'm not finding that to be the case. My TV speakers are louder. I'm considering returning the CT150 sound bar to the store.

BTW, I have Comcast Cable and my HDTV is Sony 46EX500. I've played with the my menu settings endlessly and tried hooking up the audio two ways: A) HDMI from cable box to Sound Bar and then HDMI from Sound Bar to TV B) HDMI from cable box to TV and then optical cable from TV to Sound Bar. The wimpy soft volume results for both ways.

I think you got a defective unit. I put mine on 25 I could make my whole house rumble and my wife screaming at me. You test it a few more days for the sound to break in.
post #390 of 2096 Old 07-28-2010, 04:37 AM

I bought CT100. It was only 190 dollars on Sonystyle. What would be the best Sound Field for the bar. I am waiting on Break in period of the bar also.
Vinisan
Master of the Universe
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page