Sony HT-CT150 and CT350 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 04:05 AM
Senior Member
 
nenito2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Africa
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@LouieIV

can't answer your questions as i don't have the product yet. BUT waddaya say for giving us a detailed review about the sound
nenito2k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Member
 
LouieIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here is how I'm connected as mentioned earlier.

All HDMI
Sat Box and BD to CT150
CT150 to TV (46" EX500)

I was noticing that some people are also connecting the optical audio. Should I have that connected for better sound or is that only for TV's that don't support ARC?



Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

@LouieIV

can't answer your questions as i don't have the product yet. BUT waddaya say for giving us a detailed review about the sound

I will give a short sound review after I have had it for a bit. I don't often have the chance to listen in ideal situations. Usually there are kids running around screaming or I have it turned down because everyone is asleep.

Initially I will say that dialog seems much clearer which was my number one priority and the added depth that the bass ads is nice.

Any impressions I have should be taken with a large grain of salt as I am far from an audiophile and have no real experience judging sound quality.

You would be much better off reading other reviews in this thread from more experienced posters than myself.

-LouieIV
LouieIV is offline  
post #633 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Possumgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SoCal (L.A. area)
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieIV View Post

So here is how I'm connected as mentioned earlier.

All HDMI
Sat Box and BD to CT150
CT150 to TV (46" EX500)

I was noticing that some people are also connecting the optical audio. Should I have that connected for better sound or is that only for TV's that don't support ARC?

Optical is only needed if the TV doesn't support ARC and you use the TVs internal tuner for OTA viewing and/or have components connected directly to the TV.
Possumgirl is offline  
post #634 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Possumgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SoCal (L.A. area)
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

"I wish i can set up my cable box to go through my CT350 with HDMI but the problem is when i do this I keep getting a message that says "Yprpb output is blocked" whenever i switch to the cable input. It seems that my cable box has some kind of HDMI handshake issue with this soundbar and i cant for the life of me find a way to solve this problem. I tried resetting everything, changing resolution settings and a few other things but nothing works. I also tested 4 HDMI cables and they all do the same thing...

Any suggestions??"


Just reposting this again in case it was overlooked the first time i posted it. Id really like some help here before i have no choice but to connect my cable box to the ct350 with component and optical from the box to ct350. Unfortjnately my cable box (explorer 4250hd) will only output sound through optical if its not connected through hdmi.

I'm not going to be a whole lot of help because I don't have cable and am not familiar with the various settings you can make on the box. The message is strange because "Yprpb" is video and it doesn't make sense (to me anyway) that it would be blocked by either the cable box or the CT. Have you contacted Sony tech support to see if they can shed some light?

I noticed on your previous posts that you had the cable box connected via HDMI to your TV and that you were apparently getting 5.1 audio sent out over optical from TV to CT. It sounds like you do have a solution if you can't get the cable box and CT to talk directly to one another. Or am I missing something?
Possumgirl is offline  
post #635 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Member
 
LouieIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Possumgirl, that's what I thought but i'm pretty new to the finer points of home theater.

Viper, I googled "Yprpb output is blocked" and found a few threads about it. I didn't read through them but glanced at the first one and it looks like it has to do with your cable box and DRM. Maybe you can find an explanation and/or solution in one of these threads.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r194...ection-Message

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1102903

Good luck,
LouieIV
LouieIV is offline  
post #636 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Possumgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SoCal (L.A. area)
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Good find on those two threads. I didn't think to Google the message.

Looks like a lot of people have trouble with the 4250HD cable box with a variety of A/V receivers and it's been going on for at least three years!
Possumgirl is offline  
post #637 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 01:31 PM
 
Viper2847's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieIV View Post

Thanks Possumgirl, that's what I thought but i'm pretty new to the finer points of home theater.

Viper, I googled "Yprpb output is blocked" and found a few threads about it. I didn't read through them but glanced at the first one and it looks like it has to do with your cable box and DRM. Maybe you can find an explanation and/or solution in one of these threads.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r194...ection-Message

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1102903

Good luck,
LouieIV

Thanks for the links. Here is what seems to be the problem as someone pointed out in one of those threads.

"That means that the Home theater system is not HDCP compliant but your tv seems to be. The cable boxes use HDCP, a form of DRM encryption to protect the content. Everything must be HDCP complaint otherwise it won't work. If you want to have a system like this try using like this, 4250HD hdmi to tv then digital optical out from tv to home theater system. Hope this Helps"


Now i really dont get this. How can a 2010 sound system NOT be HDCP compliant? Im sure the CT350 is HDCP compliant so i still cant figure out what to do here.

@Possumgirl actually the cable box will not output sound via optical if its connected through HDMI to any source. If i connect it to HDMI on my TV or CT350 then select it to output through optical the sound goes away completely. It will output through optical if i connect it through component to CT350 then component to TV which i REALLY DONT want to do.

At the moment i have the cable box connected to the TV through HDMI and no optical at all. The CT350 is getting the sound through HDMI though because all my other components are connected to it and i have the HDMI out on the CT350 going to the TV through HDMI input1 which seems to be bringing the sound signal in dolby 5.1 to the CT350 for the cable box which is connected to the TV through HDMI input2. I dont know how it makes sense but for some reason thats how its working right now.

The problem is that for some reason the CT350 sounds crappy with this type of setup, the dolby 5.1 im getting now doesnt seem to sound as good as when the cable box is directly connected to the CT350 through HDMI. Remember, its just the video signal im not getting when the box is connected to the CT350 via HDMI but it still gives sound and it sounds much better than going through my TV via HDMI then TV sending it to CT350. Hopefully you wont be too confused after reading this!


Based on what i read so far nobody who had this problem was able to solve it as its an issue with the specific cable box i have (Explorer 4250HD). I guess im going to have to see if i can get it replaced with a different HD cable box otherwise im screwed and have to go through component to get the best sound from my CT350...
Viper2847 is offline  
post #638 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Possumgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SoCal (L.A. area)
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

Thanks for the links. Here is what seems to be the problem as someone pointed out in one of those threads.

"That means that the Home theater system is not HDCP compliant but your tv seems to be. The cable boxes use HDCP, a form of DRM encryption to protect the content. Everything must be HDCP complaint otherwise it won't work. If you want to have a system like this try using like this, 4250HD hdmi to tv then digital optical out from tv to home theater system. Hope this Helps"


Now i really dont get this. How can a 2010 sound system NOT be HDCP compliant? Im sure the CT350 is HDCP compliant so i still cant figure out what to do here.

@Possumgirl actually the cable box will not output sound via optical if its connected through HDMI to any source. If i connect it to HDMI on my TV or CT350 then select it to output through optical the sound goes away completely. It will output through optical if i connect it through component to CT350 then component to TV which i REALLY DONT want to do.

At the moment i have the cable box connected to the TV through HDMI and no optical at all. The CT350 is getting the sound through HDMI though because all my other components are connected to it and i have the HDMI out on the CT350 going to the TV through HDMI input1 which seems to be bringing the sound signal in dolby 5.1 to the CT350 for the cable box which is connected to the TV through HDMI input2. I dont know how it makes sense but for some reason thats how its working right now.

The problem is that for some reason the CT350 sounds crappy with this type of setup, the dolby 5.1 im getting now doesnt seem to sound as good as when the cable box is directly connected to the CT350 through HDMI. Remember, its just the video signal im not getting when the box is connected to the CT350 via HDMI but it still gives sound and it sounds much better than going through my TV via HDMI then TV sending it to CT350. Hopefully you wont be too confused after reading this!


Based on what i read so far nobody who had this problem was able to solve it as its an issue with the specific cable box i have (Explorer 4250HD). I guess im going to have to see if i can get it replaced with a different HD cable box otherwise im screwed and have to go through component to get the best sound from my CT350...

It may or may not be an HDCP issue, but whatever it is, it IS a problem.

Sorry, but I am a bit confused on your connections. Does your TV support ARC? I'm guessing it must since you said you're not using optical at all. Have you tried connecting the cable box to the TV via HDMI and connecting optical from the cable box to the CT and setting the cable box audio to optical (or whatever choice it gives you other than HDMI)? From reading the many threads here, that seems to be what a lot of people do in order to get 5.1 audio, especially with soundbars that don't have HDMI inputs.

The statement that has me real confused is this one:
Quote:


It will output through optical if i connect it through component to CT350 then component to TV which i REALLY DONT want to do.

Since the CT350 doesn't have component connections I can't figure out what you're saying here.
Possumgirl is offline  
post #639 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 03:01 PM
 
Viper2847's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

It may or may not be an HDCP issue, but whatever it is, it IS a problem.

Sorry, but I am a bit confused on your connections. Does your TV support ARC? I'm guessing it must since you said you're not using optical at all. Have you tried connecting the cable box to the TV via HDMI and connecting optical from the cable box to the CT and setting the cable box audio to optical (or whatever choice it gives you other than HDMI)? From reading the many threads here, that seems to be what a lot of people do in order to get 5.1 audio, especially with soundbars that don't have HDMI inputs.

The statement that has me real confused is this one:

Since the CT350 doesn't have component connections I can't figure out what you're saying here.



Sorry i mistakenly thought the ct350 could output component just like it does with hdmi. I guess now im even more screwed. And yes i did try connecting the box to tv via hdmi then optical from box to ct350 but again its like i said if the cable box detects that its connected to ANY source through hdmi it wont allow for outputting sound through optical (yes i know that is really REALLY dumb) so when i tried that my sound just completely cut out.
Viper2847 is offline  
post #640 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 04:50 PM
 
Viper2847's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 2,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also another question i have is why does the ct350 sound better when the box is directly connected to it via hdmi compared to going to the tv via hdmi with ARC (meaning without needing to go optical) then to the ct350?? Either way its getting a 5.1 dolby signal but i know i heard a big difference for some reason.
Viper2847 is offline  
post #641 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Member
 
LouieIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

"I wish i can set up my cable box to go through my CT350 with HDMI but the problem is when i do this I keep getting a message that says "Yprpb output is blocked" whenever i switch to the cable input. It seems that my cable box has some kind of HDMI handshake issue with this soundbar and i cant for the life of me find a way to solve this problem. I tried resetting everything, changing resolution settings and a few other things but nothing works. I also tested 4 HDMI cables and they all do the same thing...

Any suggestions??"


Just reposting this again in case it was overlooked the first time i posted it. Id really like some help here before i have no choice but to connect my cable box to the ct350 with component and optical from the box to ct350. Unfortjnately my cable box (explorer 4250hd) will only output sound through optical if its not connected through hdmi.

Viper have you tried changing the settings in your cable box so that the audio is set to digital (instead of hdmi or auto) with your optical cable going from the cable box to the CT350. Then try connecting the cable box to the CT350 with HDMI if it doesn't try Cable box with HDMI to TV.

Also have you tried connecting the cable box to the TV via a YPrPb component cable and optical cable to CT350.

I'm not an expert so not sure if any of this makes sense, but your situation sounds frustrating so I thought I'd try to help.

-LouieIV
LouieIV is offline  
post #642 of 2113 Old 09-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Newbie
 
ajs3801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am a new owner of a CT150. The volume level is very low when I play music through the RCA inputs. I have tried adjusting the individual speaker levels, but there was no change. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
ajs3801 is offline  
post #643 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Member
 
Beer40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulling69 View Post

Ordered the ct350 from compsource on Sunday and it showed up today with the free FedEx ground. The current price is $269:

http://www.compsource.com/pn/HTCT350/Sony_416/

Everything is hooked up and I am playing with settings and watching various shows to get started breaking it in. My setup is:

PS3 HDMI to ct350
Fios HDDVR HDMI to ct350
ct350 HDMI out to Vizio 42" 1080p

At this early stage I have adjusted the center channel +2 and the subwoofer +1 and treble +2 with bass +1, I am sure these settings will change as I play around with different sources(games, movies, types of TV shows) and as the system breaks itself in. So far everything sounds good and I am watching TV and a "normal" sounding volume set at 23-25. One cool thing I have discovered is that the soundbar itself rests nicely in a small groove on top of the Vizio(I plan to secure it down after I can get to Home Depot to pick up a few strips of velcro tomorrow).


What a deal! would love to get this by them but I am scared of this "Please Note: Due to Sony's Policy this product is not available for return or exchange and must be handled with Sony Direct."


Best Buy has it for $350 + taxes...

Did you pay taxes with CompSource?
Beer40oz is offline  
post #644 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 04:29 AM
Senior Member
 
nenito2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Africa
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@ajs3801

that is not good news for me as a futur potential buyer; the CT is supposed to sound lound (and 99% of folks agree) but still your issue is not a good sign, be sure to select the right mode.
please do update and tell us about it !
nenito2k is offline  
post #645 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Member
 
Beer40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good morning....

I was dreaming about this sound bar... lol


Would it be a good buy just to own the CT100? (since its cheap) my room is 15' x 15'

or just go for the CT150 or the CT350?


One thing I really need is the feature that you can have the system in standby mode and be able to still watch TV with the TV personal speakers (I know wifey needs that).... does the CT100 feature this also?
Beer40oz is offline  
post #646 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Newbie
 
pulling69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer40oz View Post

What a deal! would love to get this by them but I am scared of this "Please Note: Due to Sony's Policy this product is not available for return or exchange and must be handled with Sony Direct."


Best Buy has it for $350 + taxes...

Did you pay taxes with CompSource?

Negative, I will be sure to list the purchase under "use tax" on my fedreal return.......

PS It is still listed at the same price on Compsource. Also after a weeks worth of use I am very happy with the ct350. It seems to have broken in and the "surround effects" over the past few days are getting better and better. It is also interesting to note that there is an obvious difference in the sound quality while watching a show that is broadcast with 5.1 and when it goes to commercial.
pulling69 is offline  
post #647 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Newbie
 
pulling69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer40oz View Post

Good morning....

I was dreaming about this sound bar... lol


Would it be a good buy just to own the CT100? (since its cheap) my room is 15' x 15'

or just go for the CT150 or the CT350?


One thing I really need is the feature that you can have the system in standby mode and be able to still watch TV with the TV personal speakers (I know wifey needs that).... does the CT100 feature this also?


I know the ct350 does this(HDMI passthru) but it is not a default setting out of the box. AMP Menu-Set HDMI-PassThru-On(default is Auto which I assume will work automatically with a Bravia TV),
pulling69 is offline  
post #648 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
nenito2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Africa
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@Beer40oz

the CT100 like pointed a millions times has a problem with voices...they are too low for many many users.
With the 150 that problem is not there + you get 3D compatibility in case you upgrade in 1 or 2 years as TV will come down in prices faster than you think
nenito2k is offline  
post #649 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Member
 
Beer40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another question.....

I read that the sound bar is better on top of the TV so the waves hit the walls.
But my tv on top curves down and I don't think I will be able to attach it to the top.

So is it ok for me to place the bar on the wall?

Here is a pic.

Thank you.
LL
Beer40oz is offline  
post #650 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Possumgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SoCal (L.A. area)
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer40oz View Post

Another question.....

I read that the sound bar is better on top of the TV so the waves hit the walls.
But my tv on top curves down and I don't think I will be able to attach it to the top.

So is it ok for me to place the bar on the wall?

Here is a pic.

Thank you.

It should be fine on the wall if you find that it won't sit well on the top bezel of the TV.

Re your other questions, the CT100 does have the pass-through so you can just use TV speakers if you need. I think it also has night mode although I don't recall for sure. I had a CT100 for a short time, then got a CT350. The CT100 is certainly powerful enough for a 15 x 15 room; however, the newer models have much better clarity on dialog without bumping up the center channel very far.
Possumgirl is offline  
post #651 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

"I wish i can set up my cable box to go through my CT350 with HDMI but the problem is when i do this I keep getting a message that says "Yprpb output is blocked" whenever i switch to the cable input. It seems that my cable box has some kind of HDMI handshake issue with this soundbar and i cant for the life of me find a way to solve this problem. I tried resetting everything, changing resolution settings and a few other things but nothing works. I also tested 4 HDMI cables and they all do the same thing...

Any suggestions??"


Just reposting this again in case it was overlooked the first time i posted it. Id really like some help here before i have no choice but to connect my cable box to the ct350 with component and optical from the box to ct350. Unfortjnately my cable box (explorer 4250hd) will only output sound through optical if its not connected through hdmi.

Viper

Go into the setup for the cable box. You should see an entry for audio output where you can select HDMI, digital or analog if I remember correctly.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #652 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

It should be fine on the wall if you find that it won't sit well on the top bezel of the TV.

Re your other questions, the CT100 does have the pass-through so you can just use TV speakers if you need. I think it also has night mode although I don't recall for sure. I had a CT100 for a short time, then got a CT350. The CT100 is certainly powerful enough for a 15 x 15 room; however, the newer models have much better clarity on dialog without bumping up the center channel very far.

The CT-100 an I believe the 150/350 all have pass-thru for a/v signals. However, with most TV's you would need to go to the TV setup menu to either turn on or turn off the internal speakers. I don't know of any TV's smart enough or with the correct setting to sense whether a home theater is on or off. With most newer TV's the On/Off for the soundbar can be set to happen automatically in conjunction with the TV meaning you could always have sound through the soundbar.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #653 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Member
 
Beer40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you guys and gals!..... I'm going to take the plunge on the 350. Just trying to choose where to buy it. This forum has been real helpful.

Stupid question..... I listen to all my music via my PS3 on the sound bar does it play with L R and center + the subwoofer?
Beer40oz is offline  
post #654 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Newbie
 
tvspotman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony KDL 40EX500. According to the Sony Style web site, the CT350 soundbar is listed as an acessory for the 40EX500. However, when I looked at the CT350 owners manual, the 40EX500 was not listed as one of the Sony madels that the CT350 mounting bracket fits.

Has anyone attached the CT350 to the bottom of a 40EX500 using the mounting bracket supplied with the CT350? Did Sony just forget to list the 40EX500?

Thanks for an answer.

TVSpotman
tvspotman is offline  
post #655 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Possumgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SoCal (L.A. area)
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

The CT-100 an I believe the 150/350 all have pass-thru for a/v signals. However, with most TV's you would need to go to the TV setup menu to either turn on or turn off the internal speakers. I don't know of any TV's smart enough or with the correct setting to sense whether a home theater is on or off. With most newer TV's the On/Off for the soundbar can be set to happen automatically in conjunction with the TV meaning you could always have sound through the soundbar.

If the TV has CEC and your connections are via HDMI, you can leave your TV speakers on. When the soundbar comes on (automatically or otherwise), it disables the TV speakers. If you turn the soundbar off by itself, audio immediately returns to the TV speakers.
Possumgirl is offline  
post #656 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Possumgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SoCal (L.A. area)
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvspotman View Post

I have a Sony KDL 40EX500. According to the Sony Style web site, the CT350 soundbar is listed as an acessory for the 40EX500. However, when I looked at the CT350 owners manual, the 40EX500 was not listed as one of the Sony madels that the CT350 mounting bracket fits.

Has anyone attached the CT350 to the bottom of a 40EX500 using the mounting bracket supplied with the CT350? Did Sony just forget to list the 40EX500?

Thanks for an answer.

TVSpotman

I think by "accessory" they just mean other Sony products that complement the TV since they also list some BD players, home theater systems, and a 5.1 audio system as accessories.

The Sony Style product page for the CT350 doesn't list the EX500 as a model that can use the bracket either.
Possumgirl is offline  
post #657 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Newbie
 
Wonky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got the CT150 today. So what settings does everyone have it on?
Wonky is offline  
post #658 of 2113 Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Newbie
 
reggilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everybody,

Wondering if anyone had on opinion on using the HT-CT150 or -350 to replace my computer speakers. I have all my music on the computer, which has only its $10 included speakers for output. I don't have stereo system or theater system, so an all-in-one amplifier-speaker solution like the HT-CT unit seemed logical. Unfortunately I can't tell from the SONY images or from the CNET video review if the HT-CT inputs would accept whatever my computer can output -- it has a regular audio out (analog line level out for the main stereo signal, color coded lime green), plus two other audio outs (for rear and for center / subwoofer, color coded black and orange, respectively), plus a game / MIDI out. These are just regular, headphone-cable-like single-plug outputs. I assume only the main audio out is relevant, but I can't see anyplace in the image of the back of the HT-CT (provided in the CNET video) that could clearly use it -- the video is too blurry to read the labels on the input. In case it matters,the computer's video card, an ATI Radeon 3650, has an HDMI out.

Thanks for any help.

Reg Gilbert
reggilbert is offline  
post #659 of 2113 Old 10-01-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

If the TV has CEC and your connections are via HDMI, you can leave your TV speakers on. When the soundbar comes on (automatically or otherwise), it disables the TV speakers. If you turn the soundbar off by itself, audio immediately returns to the TV speakers.

Good info. With my Panasonic TV and the CT-100, the TV speakers had to be turned on/off manually. But I always just left the sound going through the soundbar anyway. With Panasonic's down firing speakers plus the soundbar sitting in front of the TV, the already unacceptable sound from the TV speakers bacame unlistenable.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #660 of 2113 Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggilbert View Post

Hi everybody,

Wondering if anyone had on opinion on using the HT-CT150 or -350 to replace my computer speakers. I have all my music on the computer, which has only its $10 included speakers for output. I don't have stereo system or theater system, so an all-in-one amplifier-speaker solution like the HT-CT unit seemed logical. Unfortunately I can't tell from the SONY images or from the CNET video review if the HT-CT inputs would accept whatever my computer can output -- it has a regular audio out (analog line level out for the main stereo signal, color coded lime green), plus two other audio outs (for rear and for center / subwoofer, color coded black and orange, respectively), plus a game / MIDI out. These are just regular, headphone-cable-like single-plug outputs. I assume only the main audio out is relevant, but I can't see anyplace in the image of the back of the HT-CT (provided in the CNET video) that could clearly use it -- the video is too blurry to read the labels on the input. In case it matters,the computer's video card, an ATI Radeon 3650, has an HDMI out.

Thanks for any help.

Reg Gilbert

Both Sony soundbars have analog inputs, I believe RCA L/R in. You can purchase a patch cable from radio shack with the mini-mic jack to match your PC audio output on one end and L/R RCA jacks on the other. I use a similar setup when playing my MP-3 player through my main stereo or the Vizio soundbar in the bedroom.

There are a number of PC soundbars or spekers for a lot less money that would be a big improvement to your internal speakers.

The remote sensor is on the sub for both Sony's which may make changing volume more of a task than some people would wish for.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
Reply Soundbars

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off