post #811 of 2101 Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alig2003 View Post

It seems to like playing the lottery.
Yesterday showed as out of stock $231, last night showed as special $231, so I ordered quick. Today showed as special order $279, now shows as sold out $239.
Guess it pays to check often and then jump on the deal.

I'm not sure why the price flucuates, however I have noticed that too. One day I saw it for $250 shipped but passed, then the next day it was $310 and then sold out. The next time I saw the price drop to $250 I bought it and then the site changed to sold out. I sure don't know what's going on with the price but I do know that if you can get the 350 for $250 shipped, the deal is just too good to pass up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2101 Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 AM

Just bought a Sony 55NX810 HDTV and the Sony CT150 Soundbar and the handshake with Bravia Sync causes a lengthy and visually sloppy on screen experience.

When I power up the HDTV I get a lag where the TV is trying to figure out what the sync is all about, locates the CT150, announces it's syncing with an on-screen banner, brings up the HDMI1 source banner, and then causes the TV to display the "no input found" wallpaper. After a few seconds and some flicker, there's the Verizon Fios HD picture on the last channel I watched.

Yuck.

Without the Bravia Sync, when I power up my HDTV I get the nice Sony splash screen, then right to the last channel viewed. Now I've got all these on screen banners and warnings and its a mess.

Is there a workaround? Or do all Bravia Sync products work this way?

TIA

BJ
post #813 of 2101 Old 12-02-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkim View Post
Check your emails! Ordered on the 29th and just got an email update that my order has been processed and will ship shortly from the distributor. I should receive the shipping info soon.
In just the last few minutes I received the following e-mail from Provantage:

"Shipment Notification - We have processed a shipment on order number 48xxxxx.

Product Name Qty Status
Virtual 5.1 SND Bar 1 SHIPPING NOW 12/02/10"

Yeehaa! I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve! Hurry up, Santa!
post #814 of 2101 Old 12-02-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredinRockHill View Post

In just the last few minutes I received the following e-mail from Provantage:

"Shipment Notification - We have processed a shipment on order number 48xxxxx.

Product Name Qty Status
Virtual 5.1 SND Bar 1 SHIPPING NOW 12/02/10"

Yeehaa! I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve! Hurry up, Santa!

Awesome, congrats! You ordered yours a couple days before I did, so I'm hoping I get one from this latest batch and that I get an email today or tomorrow. I just got the notice my TV shipped, so it looks like the timing will work out nicely.

Let us know how you like it, how you set everything up, etc.
post #815 of 2101 Old 12-03-2010, 06:48 PM

I just hooked up a CT150 a couple days ago. I'm generally happy with the performance, especially while playing blue ray disks. I'm less than thrilled with the sound quality of general tv programming but I dialed it in pretty well by boosting the center channel and playing around with the treble and bass settings. It's a definite improvement over the standard Samsung UN55C7000 speakers but not exactly what I was expecting for tv programming. Perhaps my expectations were a little unreasonable.

So now I can't help but wonder if the CT350 is worth the extra $100. I don't really care about the cost difference. I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I can't help but wonder aloud. Maybe I'll pick up a 350 and compare the two.
post #816 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 01:09 AM

I got the CT150 about a week ago and am really impressed with it's sound quality and capabilities.

However, I'm hoping a fellow HTCT150 owner can do me a favor. I noticed a very faint clicking noise coming from the exhaust on the back of the subwoofer. It's not loud enough to be heard during normal usage of the soundbar, but when I am down adjusting cable connections, I hear it.

Can someone put their ear next to the exhaust on the subwoofer and tell me if they hear a slight clicking noise? It would put my OCD mind to rest.
post #817 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@reb41:
like said many many time, aside from that HTR review no one has compared the 150 and 350 models; if you can get the big one to compare side by side it would be the best way not only for you but also the community here.

however i would like to ask you - and davyo, drfreeman & possumgirl - a question:

why is it that TV/sat broadcast sounds "bad"??? is it because of the low DD bitrate? poor stereo mixing...or cause the audio quality of the satbox is not good (in which case, one should read reviews before buying his...)

@freeman: from your hearings is the jvc MUCH better than CT350? and why wouldn't you you a side by side thing at your friend's house between ct150 and 350: that will be huge for us
post #818 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 05:05 AM

I looked on Provantage for both the 150 and 350, and they are not only not in stock, they are not on the site at all. Has this happened before? Do they usually take the speaker page down from the site when sold out or is this an indication I need to look elsewhere because they won't be carrying it again?
post #819 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post
@reb41:
like said many many time, aside from that HTR review no one has compared the 150 and 350 models; if you can get the big one to compare side by side it would be the best way not only for you but also the community here.

however i would like to ask you - and davyo, drfreeman & possumgirl - a question:

why is it that TV/sat broadcast sounds "bad"??? is it because of the low DD bitrate? poor stereo mixing...or cause the audio quality of the satbox is not good (in which case, one should read reviews before buying his...)

@freeman: from your hearings is the jvc MUCH better than CT350? and why wouldn't you you a side by side thing at your friend's house between ct150 and 350: that will be huge for us
Ok I just completed a comparison of the 150 vs. 350. The 350 wins hands down. I'm no audiophile so I can't really explain the differences between the two any better than HTR did in their comparison of the two.

The ct350 has more power and an extra set of front and center drivers compared to the ct150. To my ears this results in a much more complete sounding mid range. HTR said the ct150's mid range was "shallow and canned" and this is spot on. The ct150 just seems to have a gaping hole between highs and lows compared to the ct350. The ct350 has a much more complete range of sound from highs to lows. Finally, the ct350 seems to have a little more punch than the ct150 which I'm sure is directly related to the power advantage of the ct350.

The ct350 is also much better than the ct150 at regular tv/SAT (I have DTV). It all ties back into the range of sound from high to lows.

I compared the two in three modes: SAT tv, music, and Ironman 2 and Avatar on blue ray. Feel free to ask questions while everything is still fresh in my memory.
post #820 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 01:28 PM

Hey reb41,

If you have a measuring tape handy could you tell me how far apart the rubber feet are from each other on the 350? I'm trying to determine if it would fit my TV stand thats meant for a 32-37" TV
post #821 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by idledaylight View Post
Hey reb41,

If you have a measuring tape handy could you tell me how far apart the rubber feet are from each other on the 350? I'm trying to determine if it would fit my TV stand thats meant for a 32-37" TV
If you don't mind getting the answer from someone else, , the span is 34" for the outermost feet.
post #822 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idledaylight
Hey reb41,

Possumgirl is on it. I measured 34.25" from the center of each outermost footpad.
post #823 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Can't answer your question regarding TV/sat because I use OTA only and there's nothing "bad" about it on my CT350. Whether that's due to my receiving an unmessed with signal, or my choice of viewing, I don't know, but for DD5.1 I'd say it sounds comparable in quality to DD5.1 on blu-ray. In general though, I don't think TV programming tries to create the same audio experience that movies do.
post #824 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 02:20 PM

Thanks guys.

One other thing: I am always super paranoid about my electronics purchases. There is this faint ticking noise coming from the exhaust on the back of my ct150 subwoofer. I can only hear it when my ear is close to the exhaust, but it just doesn't quite sound like I would expect it to. The concern being that perhaps the exhaust fan isn't functioning correctly. Can one of you listen to the exhaust fan on your subwoofer (preferably the 150, though I'd imagine those parts are the same on the 350) and tell me if you hear a ticking noise coming from the exhaust fan? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
post #825 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0s4atu View Post
Awesome, congrats! You ordered yours a couple days before I did, so I'm hoping I get one from this latest batch and that I get an email today or tomorrow. I just got the notice my TV shipped, so it looks like the timing will work out nicely.

Let us know how you like it, how you set everything up, etc.
Got an email today that my item shipped and I was provided with the final invoice and tracking number.
post #826 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkim View Post
Got an email today that my item shipped and I was provided with the final invoice and tracking number.
Yeah I just got an email earlier today that it has shipped, but they're waiting on a tracking number. Where did yours ship from? TX? I think someone said they were coming from there? If so it should come right around the same time as my TV so it'll be perfect.

Edit:
reb41 - Thanks for your review, now I'm really glad I found such a great deal on the 350. Also, how do you have everything connected between your tv, ct350, sat, and whatever else you've got
post #827 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 03:39 PM

I picked up the ct-150 yesterday. What is the best way for me to hook everything up?

I have a 50" samsung 3d plasma tv, xbox 360 (hdmi), xbox 360 hd add on, directv hd dvr and a nintendo wii (component).
post #828 of 2101 Old 12-04-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0s4atu View Post

Edit:
reb41 - Thanks for your review, now I'm really glad I found such a great deal on the 350. Also, how do you have everything connected between your tv, ct350, sat, and whatever else you've got

I have each component connected to the CT350 via HDMI. Then an HDMI out to the tv.
post #829 of 2101 Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 PM

@reb41: MAN thanx, and thanx for this HUGE contribution! do you realise you are the first person here to do that???

as i read your GOOD review, you ARE pretty sure about the results: "350 wins hand down"

so it's not just a little better....the 350 is really better especially in voices (my main reason to buy)

and yes i do have questions:

1- in one thread someone said the 150 had volume problems sometimes in was very low and in another scene too lound? is that the case? is it also true with ct350?

2- regarding the surround effect : ct150 = ct 350?

3- what size is your room? mine is 15 x 15 would i still benefit from the 350 and its huge power (my condo is small)? won't it be an overkill?

4- how do these bars compare at low level volumes at night for example?

5- sorry to seem dumb: but the "highs" are sounds that are mostly used in movies right??? does that mean the 350 offers more precise sounding? does that mean we can hear sounds that CANNOT be heard with the 150? please explain

6- you are a saver for many of us...so for you the 350 is worth the extra cash?
post #830 of 2101 Old 12-06-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:

@reb41: MAN thanx, and thanx for this HUGE contribution! do you realise you are the first person here to do that???

as i read your GOOD review, you ARE pretty sure about the results: "350 wins hand down"

so it's not just a little better....the 350 is really better especially in voices (my main reason to buy)

and yes i do have questions:

1- in one thread someone said the 150 had volume problems sometimes in was very low and in another scene too lound? is that the case? is it also true with ct350?

2- regarding the surround effect : ct150 = ct 350?

3- what size is your room? mine is 15 x 15 would i still benefit from the 350 and its huge power (my condo is small)? won't it be an overkill?

4- how do these bars compare at low level volumes at night for example?

5- sorry to seem dumb: but the "highs" are sounds that are mostly used in movies right??? does that mean the 350 offers more precise sounding? does that mean we can hear sounds that CANNOT be heard with the 150? please explain

6- you are a saver for many of us...so for you the 350 is worth the extra cash?

1) I didn't experience this with the 150 and haven't with the 350.

2) Fairly comparable. I have this in the family room with the back 1/3 opening up to the kitchen in a kind of L shape. This is a less than ideal shape for surround effect with a sound bar. I do get some surround effect but lose a lot of it into the kitchen area.

3) Room size about 15x20. Yes, the 350 has more power but I would choose the 350 over the 150 more for the better sound quality than for the added power. Perhaps the added power is partially responsible for the better sound..?

4) To my ear the 350 is better at all volume levels. As I said earlier, the 150 sound is less full....everywhere. It sounds somewhat artificial compared to the 350.

5) The 350 provides a fuller more precise sound. Yes, you can hear mids with the 350 that simply cannot be heard with the 150 unless you crank up the volume. As I said before, by comparison the 150 seems to have a hole between highs and lows. This is the case with music, tv programming or blue ray. In order to maintain my sanity I did not let the kids compare the two with xbox 360.

6) Yes, given I will probably use the 350 for several years I think it's well worth an extra $100. I noticed the difference between the two immediately. I am very happy with the 350 where I was just "generally" happy with the 150 (see my original 150 post).

EDIT: the Sony remote sucks. I have a Logitech Harmony One with IR Extender to control all my components.
post #831 of 2101 Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 AM

@reb41: MAN that was sweeeeeeeeeet; your input is probably as good if not better than the HTR review!!!!! i was just about to pull the trigger on the 150, but now i'll get the 350 instead as money is not an issue and i want the best quality.

Now in my country the 350 will be out in 3 months; ahh well will keep reading reviews here
one last thing, did you videogame experience get REALLY better with the 350 ? i mean is the overall impact as BIG as with blurays?
post #832 of 2101 Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 AM

reb41, unfortunately I just picked up a CT150. Have you been able to listen to the JVC-BA1? I would love to know which between the JVC and CT350 is the better system as I'm feeling the itch to pull the trigger on one of them.
post #833 of 2101 Old 12-06-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson777 View Post
reb41, unfortunately I just picked up a CT150. Have you been able to listen to the JVC-BA1? I would love to know which between the JVC and CT350 is the better system as I'm feeling the itch to pull the trigger on one of them.
I have not heard the JVC but like you I've read good things about it here on AVS. If the JVC came with HDMI connectivity I would have considered it but since it doesn't, I didn't.

If you want to stay with the Sony and $100 isn't that big of a difference to you financially then I would rush back to the store and trade up to the CT350. It is better and I think you will hear the difference immediately. I look at it this way, if I use the CT350 for 3 years is the better sound worth $33/year? To me the answer is simple...YES.
post #834 of 2101 Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 PM

CT150 Owners:

what settings are you using to optimize your soundbar?
post #835 of 2101 Old 12-07-2010, 04:52 AM

Liked: 15
I have a new Sony 52in with a Bose 321 series 111 with the Gemstone speakers.The Bose definitely sounds better than the tv`s speakers but it is hard to hear soft dialogue in dvd & Blu-Ray movies.
Does anyone know if the CT350 would do a better job?If it would I would buy one today.
post #836 of 2101 Old 12-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoholik View Post

I picked up the ct-150 yesterday. What is the best way for me to hook everything up?

I have a 50" samsung 3d plasma tv, xbox 360 (hdmi), xbox 360 hd add on, directv hd dvr and a nintendo wii (component).

Well, I returned the 150 for the 350 yesterday. I have not opened the box up yet - just trying to figure out how I want to connect everything.

Right now all the wires from the components are hidden and snug behind the tv. I'd rather not un-do everything from the tv and hook them up to the 350. Does the TV have a hdmi out or optical out that can be connected to the 350? Is there any downside by outputting from the tv instead of having each component connected to the 350?

Thanks!!
post #837 of 2101 Old 12-07-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

I have a new Sony 52in with a Bose 321 series 111 with the Gemstone speakers.The Bose definitely sounds better than the tv`s speakers but it is hard to hear soft dialogue in dvd & Blu-Ray movies.
Does anyone know if the CT350 would do a better job?If it would I would buy one today.

I have heard the 350 in a home environment and the dialog was excellent. I have not heard the new Bose Gemstone setup except in a store where I could not really tell anything. From experience with previous Bose units, the sound was good but there was no way to make adjustments to the sound. What came out of the box was all that you had. Plus, Bose was always overpriced for the components that you received. From what I saw (and heard) in the store earlier in the year, this has not changed.

Most of the recommended soundbars on this forum should be able to give you excellent dialog along with good sound and some degree of surround effect.

David Freeman
post #838 of 2101 Old 12-07-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:

Well, I returned the 150 for the 350 yesterday. I have not opened the box up yet - just trying to figure out how I want to connect everything.

Right now all the wires from the components are hidden and snug behind the tv. I'd rather not un-do everything from the tv and hook them up to the 350. Does the TV have a hdmi out or optical out that can be connected to the 350? Is there any downside by outputting from the tv instead of having each component connected to the 350?

Thanks!!

You may connect your TV to the soundbar via optical or analog output. If your TV is new enough for Audio Return Capabilities you may use HDMI from a supported HDMI input.

Via optical to the sounbar, you will receive full 5.1 channel from OTA broadcasts or anything else your tuner decodes. However, you will receive only 2-channel for anything connected via HDMI to your TV unless your TV is very old or sold by a manufacturer who does not adhere to copyright laws.

Via HDMI from your components to the soundbar, you will receive the full multi-channel signal for the soundbar to interpret and playback.

David Freeman
post #839 of 2101 Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

You may connect your TV to the soundbar via optical or analog output. If your TV is new enough for Audio Return Capabilities you may use HDMI from a supported HDMI input.

Via optical to the sounbar, you will receive full 5.1 channel from OTA broadcasts or anything else your tuner decodes. However, you will receive only 2-channel for anything connected via HDMI to your TV unless your TV is very old or sold by a manufacturer who does not adhere to copyright laws.

Via HDMI from your components to the soundbar, you will receive the full multi-channel signal for the soundbar to interpret and playback.

I have a Samsung 3D Plasma TV - PN50C7000
How would you suggest that I connect everything??
post #840 of 2101 Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:

I have a Samsung 3D Plasma TV - PN50C7000
How would you suggest that I connect everything??

HDMI from each component to the Sony and HDMI out from the Sony to your Sammy.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page