Sony HT-CT150 and CT350 - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2118 Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly911 View Post

Got my Sony HT-CT150 Soundbar hooked up to my SONY KDL 55NX810 3D TV, PlayStation3 and HD Cable box with HDMI cables and my VCR/DVD recorder with RCA A/V Cables. The sound is 1000% better than with the TV speakers. There are about eight presets like Standard, 2 Channel Stereo, Music, Drama, News, Sports, Music and Movie. There is a "NIGHT MODE" button to quiet everything down (When the wife goes to bed) and a "THEATRE" button that changes the picture and sound. There should be something for everyone. I like it for under $200.00 plus cables.

try puting the soundbar on top of the screen with 3M double sided tape. you will be very pleased!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2118 Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 AM

So after a few days of tweaking, toying, moving, and watching, I am coming around to this CT350. I had to turn the bass down, the treble up, the center up, the subwoofer the same, had to move a few things off a table that was blocking some of the sound since the soundbar is mounted so low, and I think I’ll keep it. It has great low’s, decent high’s, but the mid’s can be iffy at times. I don’t like the remote, I don’t like the shady “Bravia Sync” technology, and I don’t like the on-subwoofer display for adjustments. It would have been better with a GUI. Overall, $350 isn’t bad to replace the horrendous speakers on the NX810.

Also, I don't know if I would trust 2 sided tape to hold a soundbar to a TV. It would make the TV very top heavy and tipsy, which is bad because that NX810 is already very tipsy.
post #903 of 2118 Old 12-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy012 View Post

try puting the soundbar on top of the screen with 3M double sided tape. you will be very pleased!

I probably wouldn't do that. It looks like a DLP? I could be wrong... but extra weight is gonna make it bow pretty bad.
post #904 of 2118 Old 12-13-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy012 View Post

I wouldn't. Any time my soundbar is high it sounds a lot worse. Just below the screen it sounds best in my opinion.
post #905 of 2118 Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by chreese2 View Post

Alright folks, this is the way I have my system hooked up, but I have one problem. I don't liking having to use a bunch of different remotes. My DirecTV remote will not control the volume of the sound bar. Do I have to program a code in the DirecTV remote for it to control the volume of the sound bar? Thanks for the help!!

My DirecTV remote controls the KDL-55HX800 TV volume only. With Bravia Sync (HDMI CEC1.3) selected on both the TV and sound bar, the TV sees the HT-CT150 sound bar automatically, and switches to it when it is powerd on. (I have it in a condo so it is off a lot for the neighbors!). Once the TV and sound bar are in communication, the DirecTV remote, through the TV, controls the volume and mute on the sound bar. In turn, the speakers and audio out (headphones) on the TV is turned off. The DirecTV remote is not communicating with the sound bar directly. With the sound bar on, I can't use my headphones either.
post #906 of 2118 Old 12-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@nickf829
glad you are happier; but what bugs me is do you keep it coz the TV sound sucks? or do you keep the bar coz it is actually very satisfactory ?

panasonic 42" 3D LED + 5.1 Monitor Audio MASS & 10" Gemini Bk2 subwoofer
post #907 of 2118 Old 12-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Do I keep it because it's better than the TV speakers? Yes.
Do I keep it because I'm satisfied with the performance/cost ratio? Yes.
Am I satisfied overall with its performance, given the price and other options in price range? Yes
Would I buy a second for another room? Possibly
Am I keeping the packaging for another 3 weeks in case I decide to return it? you betcha'

I have noticed signal clipping now though, whenever I rewind or fastforward from DVR, go from DVR to live broadcast via satellite(all done via VIP612 dvr/satellite receiver and Dish Network provider), or when watching BluRay when the trailers of any movie go off, right before the menu turns on. I feel like if the source(in this case, DVR and Bluray player) has to think for more than a second or two second, the subwoofer/receiver thinks no signal is available and goes to an all black screen for a second or two, until the signal catches back up. I think it might be time to run all the HDMI's through the TV and one optical out to the subwoofer and see if that speeds up everything.
post #908 of 2118 Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf829 View Post

I think it might be time to run all the HDMI's through the TV and one optical out to the subwoofer and see if that speeds up everything.

If you do try that, please let us know how it works. I've been told that it can be done that way. Thanks.
post #909 of 2118 Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 AM

since the 350 has HDMI inputs, how does the lossless/HD audio sound on it? is it still an immersive experience if it were in a small room?

i'm very excited to get one!
post #910 of 2118 Old 12-14-2010, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

I wouldn't. Any time my soundbar is high it sounds a lot worse. Just below the screen it sounds best in my opinion.

This is interesting. I was considering mounting mine above the screen. Currently it sits just below it and it sounds good where it's at, I just thought it might look better and perform better above. Guess I don't have to break out the duct tape after all (3Ming it is for sissies lol).

Seriously about the tape, if that tv in the picture is anything like mine, the top of it is not 3" wide. If it were, then laying it on top wouldn't be an issue. Mine has a lip all the way around it and even if it didn't it slopes down, there simply wouldn't be room to put it on top. I had planned on building a mount to attach to where the speaker plate goes in the back of the CT 350, with arms that extend to mounting bolt holes on my SmART mount. But if it sounds better below, I will simply leave it where it is.

I'm guessing most people have it mounted or laying below their TVs?
post #911 of 2118 Old 12-14-2010, 07:21 AM

^ to see if you like the sound better, just do this. Mount it below the screen and instead of sitting on your couch, sit on the floor and listen to it. I've done that several times (while playing with my kid on the floor) and I notice it gets much worse. Sound becomes too deep and muffled in my opinion.
post #912 of 2118 Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Can't figure out why but occasionally my TV (Samsung UN55C7000) will display the CT350 volume level on screen. This usually happens when the TV is fired up after the DTV receiver/DVR and CT350. All components are connected directly to the CT350 via HDMI with one HDMI out to the TV.

Thoughts?
post #913 of 2118 Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEN7ER View Post

since the 350 has HDMI inputs, how does the lossless/HD audio sound on it? is it still an immersive experience if it were in a small room?

i'm very excited to get one!

The CT-150/350 does not decode lossless HD audio. The manual recommends sending multi-channel LPCM for those formats, although it's really unknown if the CT does anything with the additional info. If you send bitstream, the CT will just extract and process the core DTS/DD5.1 codecs. I've tried it both ways and really don't notice a difference, but it's plenty immersive either way.
post #914 of 2118 Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 PM

I've recently purchased the Sony HT-Ct 350 soundbar. What settings do other owners find are best to create "virtual surround sound" I currently have played around with the bass and treble and have the centre speaker at +3. Someone has suggested I keep the TV internal speakers on as well. Any preferences?
post #915 of 2118 Old 12-14-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Del

I don't have a 350 so I will leave good settings to someone more proficient than I. (Possumgirl seems to have the absolute most expertise on the Sonys and almost everything else). However, I would recommend that you not use both the internal speakers and soundbar simultanesouly. This would most likely muddy the sound as their frequency response would probably be difference plus the two units would probably be out of phase with one another.

David Freeman
post #916 of 2118 Old 12-14-2010, 06:25 PM

HT-CT350 is back in stock at nerds.net. I was waiting on Provantage, but I just can't keep waiting and risk it not coming in time for Christmas so I bought.

I used coupon code COLLEGE for free shipping. I had no tax, so it was 279.99 delivered.
post #917 of 2118 Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtp0621 View Post
HT-CT350 is back in stock at nerds.net. I was waiting on Provantage, but I just can't keep waiting and risk it not coming in time for Christmas so I bought.

I used coupon code COLLEGE for free shipping. I had no tax, so it was 279.99 delivered.
The CT150 is also at a great price: $209
post #918 of 2118 Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I have had a KDL-55HX800, HT-CT150, BDP-S570, DirecTV and a Wii. I live in a condo so (unfortunately) I have to “enjoy” a headset frequently instead of the sound bar. The directions for the HT-CT150 say to plug the DirecTV receiver and the BD player into the subwoofer with HDMI cables. Then a single HDMI goes to the TV. All that works well when using the soundbar. The only provision for headsets is to use the audio out on the TV. To get that to work, the soundbar has to be off and the TV on mute. With the Bravia sync features on there is a lot of button pushing to set up for headsets and the TV itself does not show what input is selected, other than the soundbar. To change from BD player to DirecTV the sound bar has to be turned on which deactivates the headset!

I think there are two choices. Either turn off the Bravia Sync or change the wiring. What would happen if I plugged the DirecTV and BD Player HDMI cables into the TV instead of the subwoofer? I would leave the soundbar subwoofer plugged into the TV for sound only. What would be the downside of going against Sony’s soundbar wiring instructions?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
post #919 of 2118 Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you do try that, please let us know how it works. I've been told that it can be done that way. Thanks.

I missed this post and posted a similar question/quandry. I got on line with Sony Support Chat. She said to plug all the inputs into the TV with HDMI cables. She said the #1 HDMI port on my TV has "ARC" (Audio Return Channel) so that is where the soundbar must go. I will try it later today and report back.
post #920 of 2118 Old 12-16-2010, 12:16 PM

@speedy012:

nice picture, but we would have LIKED to hear your opinion on the bar itself!!!

post #921 of 2118 Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 PM

I don't have a 350 so I will leave good settings to someone more proficient than I. (Possumgirl seems to have the absolute most expertise on the Sonys and almost everything else). However, I would recommend that you not use both the internal speakers and soundbar simultanesouly. This would most likely muddy the sound as their frequency response would probably be difference plus the two units would probably be out of phase with one another.

Thanks for your response...Might play around with it because I believe you can adjust the phase on the 350
post #922 of 2118 Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:

So I did some tinkering tonight and found a few things

1) Large binder clips make great cable organizers on the backside of open TV stands

2) The VIP612 isn't the greatest satellite receiver/dvr in the world

3) Ran 1 high speed hdmi from the TV's hdmi1(ARC)IN into the subwoofers hdmi(ARC)OUT; then ran the satellite/dvr, bluray, etc etc into the additional HDMI ports in the TV was SUCCESSFUL. I no longer get a clipped signal when changing channels, rewind/fastforward from dvr, and i dont get a clipped signal from moving between live TV and guide. I still retained the ability to use the TV remote to change volume on the subwoofer, and the speakers still turn on/off with the TV. So everything stayed the same.

Previously I had run all the HDMI's into the subwoofer, and ran 1 hdmi out into the TV. While this made install easy and wires going to the TV very minimal, it slowed the response time of any incoming signals. This slower signal caused the signal to clip(screen to go black for 1-5 seconds) whenever a channel was changed, whenever live TV would switch to the Guide, whenever a DVR was rewound or fastforwarded, when watching bluray's and a trailer would end, or rewind/fastforward was pressed.

YMMV, but I would just avoid running all the HDMI's through the subwoofer, just let the HDMI(ARC)IN from your TV control the sub.
post #923 of 2118 Old 12-16-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

The CT-150/350 does not decode lossless HD audio. The manual recommends sending multi-channel LPCM for those formats, although it's really unknown if the CT does anything with the additional info. If you send bitstream, the CT will just extract and process the core DTS/DD5.1 codecs. I've tried it both ways and really don't notice a difference, but it's plenty immersive either way.

hmmmmm, yeah i was just planning on having my PS3 do all the lossless decoding and sending it through LPCM... any chance you know how that'll sound? i just want the sound and Sub/bass to pack a punch and have all those overt AND subtle tones and cues (especially for atmospheric stuff) and really put me in the world of whatever bluray im watching.
post #924 of 2118 Old 12-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Folks found a serious bug when watching 1080p/24 material recorded from DirecTV on the HR22. It appears that the EDID info of the sets capabilities is not being properly passed thru, as the directv receiver thinks the LX900 cannot handle 1080p/24 3D content.

To test this I connected the display directly to the CT350 and there were no issues whatsoever, pass it thru the CT350 and the resolution is thought to not be supported...this is very sad indeed.

I am going to open a case with DirecTV as well as Sony.

I will also like download latest code for this DVR (beta code thru dbstalk) to determine if there is anything on the DVR side that can correct this.

However this in my opinion is clear that it's the CT350 that needs correction here as connecting directly to the TV, there is no issue at all.
post #925 of 2118 Old 12-17-2010, 12:57 AM

it seems this bar has ISSUES with 3D!!! ironically it was made for 3D!!!

here is a guy's comments on the forum
Directv channel 104 and 3D VOD recording will not work through the Sony Soundbar. They only work when the DTV receiver is connected directly to the TV. The other DTV 3D channels work through the Sony Soundbar.

concluding : "3D pass through doesn't work with the Directv 3D channels" he returned it !

please have any of you tested some other 3D material? does 3D even work on this BAR ????

post #926 of 2118 Old 12-17-2010, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

it seems this bar has ISSUES with 3D!!! ironically it was made for 3D!!!

here is a guy's comments on the forum
Directv channel 104 and 3D VOD recording will not work through the Sony Soundbar. They only work when the DTV receiver is connected directly to the TV. The other DTV 3D channels work through the Sony Soundbar.

concluding : "3D pass through doesn't work with the Directv 3D channels" he returned it !

please have any of you tested some other 3D material? does 3D even work on this BAR ????

Don't misunderstand the issue, it's EDID info from the directv box thru the CT350, so far I've identified one model that does not work and have opened a case with Sony.

Blu-ray 3Ds with the PS3 running through do not seem to be an issue at all, and these are 1080p/24.

Please post a link to this thread or comment you've quoted.
post #927 of 2118 Old 12-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

Furthermore one way around this is to plug the directv box into hdmi 2-4, you pick, and set the soundbar to use ARC (TV input on amp to your TV's HDMI port that supports ARC), then you still get audio out of your soundbar and directv box is connected directly to the TV with ARC going to your amp, this is the workaround right now, and frankly a direct connect to the TV is preferable in some cases, everyone's setup is different, but this is a workable solution.
post #928 of 2118 Old 12-17-2010, 05:21 AM

thanx gotchaa; the comments were from forum member javierruizleon opened 2 topics in this section....
but guess the box is the problem not the CT...

post #929 of 2118 Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 AM

If you have the available HDMI inputs in the back of your TV, why bother running accesories through the soundbar at all. This is especially true if you have an HDMI(ARC) input on your TV. Just run 1 HDMI cable from the ARC in the TV to the ARC in the subwoofer, and all functions remain the same as they would if you ran all your HDMI's into the subwoofer. This allows makes for less signal loss as there is no "detour" for any signals that are going to the TV. If you don't have enough HDMI inputs in your TV, then that is when it's a good time to use the inputs on the Subwoofer, otherwise, what is the point?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only advantage to running all HDMI into the subwoofer first, is it allows only 1 HDMI to goto the TV?
post #930 of 2118 Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM

here is what i have: sony ht-ct350; sony bdp-s570; sonykdl-52nx800. because the soundbar will not mount on tv's over 46" with the mounting kit supplied with the soundbar i had to find an alternate place to mount it. i spent two weeks moving the soundbar from top to bottom and found mounting on top was best because high frequency sound carries better higher up. with the subwoofer directly below and the soundbar above the sound appeare to come right out of the screen. as far as sound effects of surround sound there really isn't any, but the sound is great crystal clear highs and deep base. for a sony tv its the best soundbar out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page