Sony HT-CT150 and CT350 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2100 Old 06-25-2010, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so i just bought my htct350 today for $358..was suprised at that price. i have the ht-ct100 now..i will say i still have to play around with it, but first impresion over the 100....voice is way , way better...has a night mode that adjust volume if needed to not be as disturbing in the evening, and it works, can still hear voice well. this unit also has a seperate bass/treble adjustment, as well as the center and sub adjustment. also has am/fm tuner built in, not to mention more power than the 100 series. remote for adjustments is not very user friendly, kinda a pain to navigate the menu, like the 100, but after you get it set up to your liking, and use the remote, you learn where to go to get to where you want in the menu quicker. easier to navigate the pre programed sound fields tho...standard, movie, game, news, sports, etc. seems the volume button and the button for changing from the pre set sound fields should of been swapped, as the volume is used more, and is on the left side of the remote..just my preference tho...others may not be bothered at all. have not set it to game mode, and used the xbox 360 with it yet..but will tomorrow, as well as turn it up during the day, and put it to the test. i like the thd is at 1% pretty clean power. i looked at the new ht-sf470 from sony, which is a full spaeker set for "true"surround..it is at a thd of 10%..kinda disapointed in that spec. or i may have opted for this set-up. so far happy with this choice. will post more after i use it more...especially since reviews for this unit are very hard to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2100 Old 06-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Care to share where you found that price?

Chicken Run is WAY ahead of Citizen Kane....alphabetically speaking of course!
post #93 of 2100 Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 PM

I just ordered an HT350 for a total of $337. I will report the store once I get the item.
post #94 of 2100 Old 06-25-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I just ordered the CT350 from provantage. That is where I got my CT500 in March and I honestly couldn't resist the price. It ships directly from Sony so I may be waiting a couple of weeks. At that price though, it was a no brainer. It's the cheapest price I have seen.
post #95 of 2100 Old 06-25-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I just ordered the CT350 from provantage. That is where I got my CT500 in March and I honestly couldn't resist the price. It ships directly from Sony so I may be waiting a couple of weeks. At that price though, it was a no brainer. It's the cheapest price I have seen.

I will be very interested in seeing what you think of the CT350 vs CT500. I have had 2 CT100s (still have one) and a CT500. I think the CT500 is a great sound bar.
post #96 of 2100 Old 06-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:

I've seen this at provantage (currently $293 +$26.55 shipping to CA) as well but was concerned about the shipping to CA. "IMPORTANT: You are adding a product to your shopping cart that is marked SPECIAL ORDER. Please be aware that special order items can take as long as 3 to 4 weeks to be delivered."

You mentioned that you ordered the CT500 from them, how long did it take to get it? What state was it shipped to?
post #97 of 2100 Old 06-25-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrricane34 View Post

I've seen this at provantage (currently $293 +$26.55 shipping to CA) as well but was concerned about the shipping to CA. "IMPORTANT: You are adding a product to your shopping cart that is marked SPECIAL ORDER. Please be aware that special order items can take as long as 3 to 4 weeks to be delivered."

You mentioned that you ordered the CT500 from them, how long did it take to get it? What state was it shipped to?

I live in Texas. When I ordered the CT500, they had it in stock (no special order). I do remember people on the forum ordering the CT500 when it was first listed on provantage (and showed to be a special order). It took 2-3 weeks to get the item. If it goes on sale cheaper somewhere else, I can always cancel the order before it ships. I just wanted to lock in this low price as it was $352 this morning plus shipping. I was going to go pick it up at BB this afternoon because I had some reward zone coupons to use. It was only going to get it down to $378 though which is still a good amount more than what I payed from provantage. I hate waiting but I am going to try my best and hope that it ships within 2 weeks. It's hard though when I can just go 10 miles down the road and pick it up at BB .
post #98 of 2100 Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele713 View Post

so i just bought my htct350 today for $358..was suprised at that price. i have the ht-ct100 now..i will say i still have to play around with it, but first impresion over the 100....voice is way , way better...has a night mode that adjust volume if needed to not be as disturbing in the evening, and it works, can still hear voice well. this unit also has a seperate bass/treble adjustment, as well as the center and sub adjustment. also has am/fm tuner built in, not to mention more power than the 100 series. remote for adjustments is not very user friendly, kinda a pain to navigate the menu, like the 100, but after you get it set up to your liking, and use the remote, you learn where to go to get to where you want in the menu quicker. easier to navigate the pre programed sound fields tho...standard, movie, game, news, sports, etc. seems the volume button and the button for changing from the pre set sound fields should of been swapped, as the volume is used more, and is on the left side of the remote..just my preference tho...others may not be bothered at all. have not set it to game mode, and used the xbox 360 with it yet..but will tomorrow, as well as turn it up during the day, and put it to the test. i like the thd is at 1% pretty clean power. i looked at the new ht-sf470 from sony, which is a full spaeker set for "true"surround..it is at a thd of 10%..kinda disapointed in that spec. or i may have opted for this set-up. so far happy with this choice. will post more after i use it more...especially since reviews for this unit are very hard to find.

great to hear! i have the CT150, so we basically have the same thing. u just have a bit more features and power.

anyways, i tested game and movie mode with my ps3 and i find that movie mode has a more dynamic sound that helps with sound separation and placement. game mode just sounds a bit more boomy. so for me, it's standard/movie mode for regular HD cable and movie mode for pretty much everything else.

what are yur settings at?
post #99 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 AM

So, I just received the Sony HT-CT 350, and have to say it is better than my regular samsung tv speakers, yet i can't tell, but it feels like something is missing, what do you guys who own it have it set at, in terms of calibrating it. And also, when I press display all i see is 2.0 CH even when the sourc, my ps3 is playing blu ray and it is 5.1 surround sound. Please help out, thank you.
post #100 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeecee View Post

So, I just received the Sony HT-CT 350, and have to say it is better than my regular samsung tv speakers, yet i can't tell, but it feels like something is missing, what do you guys who own it have it set at, in terms of calibrating it. And also, when I press display all i see is 2.0 CH even when the sourc, my ps3 is playing blu ray and it is 5.1 surround sound. Please help out, thank you.

the speakers will take a day or 2 of blasting to be able to open up a bit more. after that u can tweak the settings to yur preferences. are u using HDMI cables for all the connections?

1) turn off TV's speakers
2) goto the PS3's settings and set yur BD/DVD sources to 'bitstream' instead of 'linear PCM'.
3) tune yur system to how u want it
4) enjoy

make sure u use 'movie' mode as well. 'movie' mode creates the most "surround sound"-like effect. i've tested my CT150 in 'linear PCM' mode and 'bitstream' mode. i noticed that 'bitstream' mode lets the soundbar play all the dolby digital, DTS, etc.
post #101 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 05:05 AM

so far i am pleased with the voice/sound of the 350 from the soundbar...however, am so disapointed with the sub...it really has no hit and i have it at set to 6 both in bass and sw settings?? maybe i got a lemon, am going back to the store today to listen to there display model and see if i hear a difference. the 100 series bass was so much better...guess it has a lot to do with that one having a 6 1/2" sub and the 350 having a 5 1/8" sub...dunno. can't imagine that sony could do such a great job fixing the voice issue, and drop the ball on the sub...but seems they did...why go to a smaller sub?? if it seems the same at the store, then i will be returning not going to pay that money for just enhanced voice...anyone else have the same issues? settings? been watching movies through my xbox 360 and have it set to 5.1 digital sound with hdmi cables?
post #102 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovni View Post

I just ordered an HT350 for a total of $337. I will report the store once I get the item.

I found it at an online store for $129 but if I tell you where, I'd have to kill you.

How Lame is THAT?......

Chicken Run is WAY ahead of Citizen Kane....alphabetically speaking of course!
post #103 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

so far i am pleased with the voice/sound of the 350 from the soundbar...however, am so disapointed with the sub...it really has no hit and i have it at set to 6 both in bass and sw settings?? maybe i got a lemon, am going back to the store today to listen to there display model and see if i hear a difference. the 100 series bass was so much better...guess it has a lot to do with that one having a 6 1/2" sub and the 350 having a 5 1/8" sub...dunno. can't imagine that sony could do such a great job fixing the voice issue, and drop the ball on the sub...but seems they did...why go to a smaller sub?? if it seems the same at the store, then i will be returning not going to pay that money for just enhanced voice...anyone else have the same issues? settings? been watching movies through my xbox 360 and have it set to 5.1 digital sound with hdmi cables?

Well it would not be the first downgrade Sony made with the CT series,,, remember the very cool connecting pin cable that came on the CT-100,, then when the CT-500 came out Sony switched to that dumbass 3 clip speaker cable thats now on all the Sony soundbars.

The pin cable on the CT-100 was a great idea and very cool as well,,, and to make the cable longer was a snap, just pick-up an extension cable at Radio Shack for a few bucks and you were good to go.

I would love to meet the dumbass at Sony that made that call and ask what the hell were you thinking,,, very frustrating when a company comes out with something cool or a good idea and then trash's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodguy View Post

I found it at an online store for $129 but if I tell you where, I'd have to kill you.

How Lame is THAT?......

Agreed,,, the posters statement of "I will report the store once I get the item" was pretty lame to say the least.

I guess the poster was thinkin he better not say where he got it until he knew he had it because he feared someone here would order it and he wouldnt get his because they would bump his existing order to sell it to one of us,,,,,, funny stuff.

Cheers
Davyo
post #104 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That has me worried. I didn't realize they had downgraded the size of the sub on the new Sony soundbars. I don't need booming bass but if it doesn't even match the CT100, that could be an issue for me. Keep us updated.

Davyo, how is the sub on your CT150? I assume both the CT150 and CT350 use the same sub but I haven't checked the specs.
post #105 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:

my CT150 gave me the same scare when i first started using it. i felt like the sub was very weak, and i like a lot of low end when i game and watch movies. i broke it in for another day or 2, just to see if it made a difference, and man it was really a night and day difference. my CT150's sub sounds so much better/louder/stronger, after break in, then when first compared to it's out of the box performance. my friends tell me they can hear me playing modern warfare 2 as soon as they park in my driveway and get out of their cars. that's with my volume only at 25 (max: 50). i can't think of any reason why the CT350 wouldn't sound better/stronger/more bassy. what exactly are yur settings?

it's a good idea to break in every type of speakers u buy new. from in ear monitors to floor standing speakers.
post #106 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoned View Post

my CT150 gave me the same scare when i first started using it. i felt like the sub was very weak, and i like a lot of low end when i game and watch movies. i broke it in for another day or 2, just to see if it made a difference, and man it was really a night and day difference. my CT150's sub sounds so much better/louder/stronger, after break in, then when first compared to it's out of the box performance. my friends tell me they can hear me playing modern warfare 2 as soon as they park in my driveway and get out of their cars. that's with my volume only at 25 (max: 50). i can't think of any reason why the CT350 wouldn't sound better/stronger/more bassy. what exactly are yur settings?

it's a good idea to break in every type of speakers u buy new. from in ear monitors to floor standing speakers.

well i can't say as i have ever heard of a break in period for speakers..it aint like a cam in an car engine, or any real moving/friction/wearable parts...however..i am still checkin it out..i have bass and sw set at 6...and i imagine if i put it at 25 or 30 so the whole neighborhood heard it from the parking lot, then yes i would be happy with the bass...but the 100 was set at -2 and produced awesome bass at lower levels..if i put it to 6 i was hoping that with a smaller sub in the 350..it would be crossed so that it "woke up" sooner than with a larger sub, so you can enjoy bass at lower levels as well as higher. as in my car stereo systems..an 8" sub woke up sooner than a 12"...but obviously didn't give as low/bassy effect as the 12"..but did have a great range with the 8...i was hoping to achieve a good range of highs/lows throughout the whole volume scale...maybe it aint meant to be achieved.................................................... ...... adding this comment to my posting...i stand corrected...the tech at the electronics store said it is good to break in a sub...has to do with the coating of the voice coils getting hot then cold then hot then cold...if to hot then it can run to the bottom of the coil and fry it..plus not so much now, but back when the subs had the paper cushioning it was very stiff, this loosened it up to give more response...so i can admit when i am wrong...so i will give it a few days and see..
post #107 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 PM

I am thinking of buying CT-150. How well can you control the directv receiver through CT-150's remote?
post #108 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsan; View Post

I am thinking of buying CT-150. How well can you control the directv receiver through CT-150's remote?

I'm pretty sure you can't. I think the remote will only control Sony components.
post #109 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 01:49 PM

How can I see if my TV has Audio return channel. I have 46W3000 from Sony?
What will be the best universal remote?
post #110 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoned View Post

i got mine off of amazon.com. it was only $225 shipped to my door..

Do you know if Amazon was the seller, or just the portal. You know how you can choose different sellers on Amazon... I haven't even seen Amazon listed as a seller the last two days I've looked.

Reason is I also have $30 in Amazon credit...
post #111 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet396 View Post

Do you know if Amazon was the seller, or just the portal. You know how you can choose different sellers on Amazon... I haven't even seen Amazon listed as a seller the last two days I've looked.

Buy.com is the seller,with free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Virtual-5...7596679&sr=8-1 You should still be able to use your amazon credit.
post #112 of 2100 Old 06-26-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Davyo, how is the sub on your CT150? I assume both the CT150 and CT350 use the same sub but I haven't checked the specs.

I cant really comment on the sub yet as I have not had a chance to really dial the Ct-150 in yet and set it properly.

One thing I can say though is I do think the CT-150 sounds much better overall than my past CT-100 and even my CT-500.

It sounds fine in the dialog department and the surround effect is better than the 2 older CT's.

On a side note,, about 6 months ago I purchased (and returned) the Sony HTSS360 and I like the CT-150 much more than I liked the SS360, plus I hated running all the wires and having speakers hanging all over the place with the SS360,,,, I think I will always just stick with soundbars from now on,,, no more experimenting with 5.1 systems.

Cheers
Davyo
post #113 of 2100 Old 06-27-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:

well i can't say as i have ever heard of a break in period for speakers..it aint like a cam in an car engine, or any real moving/friction/wearable parts...however..i am still checkin it out..i have bass and sw set at 6...and i imagine if i put it at 25 or 30 so the whole neighborhood heard it from the parking lot, then yes i would be happy with the bass...but the 100 was set at -2 and produced awesome bass at lower levels..if i put it to 6 i was hoping that with a smaller sub in the 350..it would be crossed so that it "woke up" sooner than with a larger sub, so you can enjoy bass at lower levels as well as higher. as in my car stereo systems..an 8" sub woke up sooner than a 12"...but obviously didn't give as low/bassy effect as the 12"..but did have a great range with the 8...i was hoping to achieve a good range of highs/lows throughout the whole volume scale...maybe it aint meant to be achieved.................................................... ...... adding this comment to my posting...i stand corrected...the tech at the electronics store said it is good to break in a sub...has to do with the coating of the voice coils getting hot then cold then hot then cold...if to hot then it can run to the bottom of the coil and fry it..plus not so much now, but back when the subs had the paper cushioning it was very stiff, this loosened it up to give more response...so i can admit when i am wrong...so i will give it a few days and see..

not a problem at all man. no need for any apologies. i just hope the system opens up a bit more for u cuz i'd love to hear some CT350 reviews. my CT150 is already pretty dang loud (alot louder then i expected really), so i couldn't imagine the CT350 to sound worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet396 View Post

buy.com sells them through amazon so u should be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I cant really comment on the sub yet as I have not had a chance to really dial the Ct-150 in yet and set it properly.

One thing I can say though is I do think the CT-150 sounds much better overall than my past CT-100 and even my CT-500.

It sounds fine in the dialog department and the surround effect is better than the 2 older CT's.

On a side note,, about 6 months ago I purchased (and returned) the Sony HTSS360 and I like the CT-150 much more than I liked the SS360, plus I hated running all the wires and having speakers hanging all over the place with the SS360,,,, I think I will always just stick with soundbars from now on,,, no more experimenting with 5.1 systems.

Cheers
Davyo

i honestly never expected to actually settle on a soundbar set up. i originally wanted to use the CT150 as a "temporary" set up before i could save up money and research a proper ($2500+) 5.1 setup. the CT150 is my first real experience with soundbars, and it's really made me reconsider my home theater options. i never expected 1 speaker + a compact sub setup to produce that good of a surround effect. now i might just stick with soundbars, for it's simplicity and ergonomics, and just upgrade to a really high quality one.
post #114 of 2100 Old 06-28-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodguy View Post

How Lame is THAT?......

Im lame because I dont want anyone else getting screwed? I ordered from a store Ive never even heard of. I have been ripped off by online vendors before. If I get screwed...its on me. Why get others screwed?
post #115 of 2100 Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovni View Post

Im lame because I dont want anyone else getting screwed? I ordered from a store Ive never even heard of. I have been ripped off by online vendors before. If I get screwed...its on me. Why get others screwed?

Well you should have included that reason/explaination with the post of you saying you cant tell anyone were you ordered the Sony untill after you got the Sony.

This forum is all about sharing information and members offering other member's help,,, thats the whole reason this forum exist's (and also so the owners can make money off advertising ) so for someone to say "I got one but Im NOT telling you were I got it from" goes against the whole reason this forum is here,,,,, an explaination on your part of why you did not wish to provide the information would have been nice.

Cheers
Davyo
post #116 of 2100 Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 PM

The point of my post was the price.
post #117 of 2100 Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 PM

So as Im still trying to "break in" my sony ht-ct 350 i came across a problem i dont have enough inputs on the system. I have a wii with component cables, ps3 with hdmi, dvd vhs player hdmi, cable box hdmi, and soon a xbox 360 hdmi does anyone have any suggestions to make this work? thank you =(
post #118 of 2100 Old 06-29-2010, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So as Im still trying to "break in" my sony ht-ct 350 i came across a problem i dont have enough inputs on the system. I have a wii with component cables, ps3 with hdmi, dvd vhs player hdmi, cable box hdmi, and soon a xbox 360 hdmi does anyone have any suggestions to make this work? thank you =(

The fix is to get an HDMI switcher,,,, forum sponser MonoPrice (at the top of this page) has the best prices anywhere for HDMI switchers and splitters.

Cheers
Davyo
post #119 of 2100 Old 06-29-2010, 01:37 AM

hmm so i am on the website but i have no idea what im looking for. also how will i connect my wii to the sony ht-ct 350?
post #120 of 2100 Old 06-29-2010, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hmm so i am on the website but i have no idea what im looking for. also how will i connect my wii to the sony ht-ct 350?

Her is the page for the HDMI switchers,,
http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...cher&x=21&y=11

As far as the Wii,, just run the optical cable from the Wii into the CT-350 and the video from your Wii to your display as you normaly would.

Cheers
Davyo
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page