post #151 of 2113 Old 06-30-2010, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

yes that question has been asked so many times:
bitstream is when ps3 sends the audio to the bar/amp without "touching" (decoding) the sound. This way its the amp that does the decoding.

PCM is when the ps3 does decode the sound internally and send it to the bar/amp...that will play it as received.

many budget amps don't internally decode HD audio and that's when bitstream from ps3 is interesting

in your case there won't be a difference since you only use SD audio!!

When you will play a bluray with HD tracks you HAVE to put it in bitstream otherwise you will hear SD sound only.
But on a 3.1 soundbar i dunno if HD will sound better or not....

hope that you understand now

ahhh, thanks alot for clearing that up. so basically, i want to leave my PS3 on 'bitstream' mode, right?

u said that my sources only provide SD sound. i was wondering if that was true cuz both of my sources, a PS3 and HD comcast DVR/cable box, are both HD sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT6Guy View Post

I stopped by BestBuy this evening and all they had was the CT150. I listened to it, and was very under-whelmed. I am trying to tell myself that the CT350 will sound much better in the home. I know it is not realistic to listen to speakers in a B&M to form an opinion. I ordered my CT350 from MacMall when they had it for $304 shipped. They are telling me that they are supposed to receive their stock on the 30th (tomorrow), so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

that's the only thing i don't like about listening to soundbars in a B&M store. they're usually set up on a wall, out in the open, so they don't sound like they are supposed to. there's no way a soundbar could fill THAT much open space, u know what i mean?

@ dayvo: what are yur CT150 settings? i have mine set kind of like a real 5.1 system where the sub handles all the lows and the soundbar handles the highs and mids.
- center: +5/+6
- subwoofer: +5
- DRC: STD
- bass: +1
- treble: +5
- dual mono: main

these settings are the best for me cuz they provide me with great vocals, room filling bass, and nice mids to really give me a pleasurable listening experience. another reason why i set the bass so low on the soundbar's speakers was to avoid any distortion at loud volumes as well. so far these settings have been great. i can use all the same settings for all of my sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2113 Old 06-30-2010, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
when i said SD audio i was referring to DTS/DD 5.1 as opposed to DTS-HD and dolbyHD (found ONLY on bluray movies!)
post #153 of 2113 Old 06-30-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:

when i said SD audio i was referring to DTS/DD 5.1 as opposed to DTS-HD and dolbyHD (found ONLY on bluray movies!)

gotcha.

i know what high quality audio should sound like, but when it comes to the technical specs and numbers. i'm like...uhhhhhhh...what? lol appreciate the help man.
post #154 of 2113 Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrricane34 View Post

Has anyone ordered and received the 350 from provantage yet?

I got an update from Provantage that they forwarded my order to a local distributor and that it should be shipping soon. So hopefully I get it in a next 7-10 days. Honestly I am still on the fence about it as all these comments about the weak bass even when it is cranked up (and on the highest bass setting) worry me. The CT100 and CT500 for that matter had no problem with good bass. I don't know why Sony would decrease the size of the sub. I mean the 6.5 inch (I believe that was the size) of the CT100/500 was already cutting it close. I am starting to think that my Zvox 425xs is going to blow away the CT350. I am not a bass head but I do need some low end.
post #155 of 2113 Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I got an update from Provantage that they forwarded my order to a local distributor and that it should be shipping soon. So hopefully I get it in a next 7-10 days. Honestly I am still on the fence about it as all these comments about the weak bass even when it is cranked up (and on the highest bass setting) worry me. The CT100 and CT500 for that matter had no problem with good bass. I don't know why Sony would decrease the size of the sub. I mean the 6.5 inch (I believe that was the size) of the CT100/500 was already cutting it close. I am starting to think that my Zvox 425xs is going to blow away the CT350. I am not a bass head but I do need some low end.

How long ago did you order it? Thanks

And I think it will sound sweet in the bedroom, I just think it was a little weak b/c it was in the middle of the SS store, at least that's my feeling.
post #156 of 2113 Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetmike View Post

How long ago did you order it? Thanks

And I think it will sound sweet in the bedroom, I just think it was a little weak b/c it was in the middle of the SS store, at least that's my feeling.

I ordered last Friday. I know they changed the wording of the order (stating my order was being forwarded to a distributor) when I checked it yesterday morning.
post #157 of 2113 Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 PM

I saw some people in this thread mentioning that these soundbars sound better after breaking them in for a week or two. Is there an actual process for breaking them in? Or were people just saying after a certain period of time they will start to sound better?
post #158 of 2113 Old 06-30-2010, 03:40 PM

lol its not a week or 2, its a day or 2
post #159 of 2113 Old 06-30-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:

I ordered last Friday. I know they changed the wording of the order (stating my order was being forwarded to a distributor) when I checked it yesterday morning.

Mine says

"Note: Your order has been forwarded to a regional warehouse for processing. We will issue an invoice once we have confirmation"

So I am happy, maybe it will ship out tomorrow or something.
post #160 of 2113 Old 06-30-2010, 11:31 PM

hi, how's the quality for connecting an hdtv's digital audio out and into the soundbar?
post #161 of 2113 Old 07-01-2010, 06:11 AM

YOTR...thanx for all your contribution in the CT's....really too bad your luck was not there for the CT500...
i understand your feeling about the CT350....it may suck...or sound as good as the 500. You (and all of us) will know when you get the stuff.
There is no way i would buy before hearing a detailed review from you. We are all waiting for the comparaison between the 2009 & 2010 models.
Good luck
post #162 of 2113 Old 07-01-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

YOTR...thanx for all your contribution in the CT's....really too bad your luck was not there for the CT500...
i understand your feeling about the CT350....it may suck...or sound as good as the 500. You (and all of us) will know when you get the stuff.
There is no way i would buy before hearing a detailed review from you. We are all waiting for the comparaison between the 2009 & 2010 models.
Good luck

No problem . I am concerned about the bass comments but hope it isn't as bad as it seems. I don't need a ton of bass for my movies so as long as there is some low end, I will be fine. More people chiming in with their CT150 impressions will also help though as the subwoofer/receiver looks to be the same on both versions. I have a Zvox 425 that I am very happy with so if the Sony isn't impressive, I will be going with the Zvox as my main system.

I loved the CT500 and thought it was a pretty big upgrade from the CT100. If they didn't have so many QC issues, I would have definitely kept it (there are good ones out there though as other members on the forum have shown). If the CT350 mimics the CT500 in regards to sound (and is well built), then we will have a winner on our hands .
post #163 of 2113 Old 07-02-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just checked my order status with Provantage and it states the order was completed today! Provantage is currently waiting for a tracking number from their distributor for my order. Hopefully it ships in the next couple of days. So for anyone wondering about the 3-4 week wait time on their site, it took mine exactly one week to reach the completed stage. I hope it arrives safely .

UPDATE: I just got an email from Provantage that the item is shipping now. Still no tracking number but that's good news.
post #164 of 2113 Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:

I just checked my order status with Provantage and it states the order was completed today! Provantage is currently waiting for a tracking number from their distributor for my order. Hopefully it ships in the next couple of days. So for anyone wondering about the 3-4 week wait time on their site, it took mine exactly one week to reach the completed stage. I hope it arrives safely .

UPDATE: I just got an email from Provantage that the item is shipping now. Still no tracking number but that's good news.

Me too! Me too!!!
post #165 of 2113 Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

me too! Me too!!! :d

post #166 of 2113 Old 07-03-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just got my tracking number from Provantage! It should be here by Wednesday .
post #167 of 2113 Old 07-03-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:

I just got my tracking number from Provantage! It should be here by Wednesday .

Me too!!! Me too!!! again!

Mine is coming from Georgia, how about yours?
post #168 of 2113 Old 07-03-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Me too!!! Me too!!! again!

Mine is coming from Georgia, how about yours?

Mine is also. I am so glad I didn't cave and get this locally at BB for $399 plus tax. Hopefully it will be worth it .
post #169 of 2113 Old 07-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Mine is also. I am so glad I didn't cave and get this locally at BB for $399 plus tax. Hopefully it will be worth it .

I agree I was ready to buy it off amazon through JR b/c I have a $25 gc. I was worried about how long this thing would take to ship from provantage. So far I am happy I saved the money and went with them.

Oh and my local BB didn't have the 350 only the 150.
post #170 of 2113 Old 07-04-2010, 06:25 AM

So are there any issues on these soundbars from any owners out there ?
i just went to my local sony store and heard the CT500 (my first time!)..and the unit just had issues in the store it kept turning off and muting...and dunno what else. The girls was kinda of embarrassed...
HOPE this is a thing of the past, but these bars are so cheap that it's troublesome !
post #171 of 2113 Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 AM

just wanted to add something that was already discussed, but i ran across the sony asia site and here is the difference i confirme between the 2 models:

CT150
Subwoofer size 13cm
Subwoofer Speaker System Bass Reflex
Subwoofer Unit 1
Front Speaker size for L,R 50 x 90mm Track
Front Speaker System Bass Reflex
Center Speaker Size 50 x 90mm Track

CT350
Subwoofer size 13cm
Subwoofer Unit 1
Front Speaker size for L,R 40 x 70mm Track
Center Speaker Size 4cm
Center Speaker System Bass Reflex

i dont understand this correctly...BUT does that mean the speakers in the CT350 bar are SMALLER than the ones used on the CT150???
post #172 of 2113 Old 07-04-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:

So are there any issues on these soundbars from any owners out there ?
i just went to my local sony store and heard the CT500 (my first time!)..and the unit just had issues in the store it kept turning off and muting...and dunno what else. The girls was kinda of embarrassed...
HOPE this is a thing of the past, but these bars are so cheap that it's troublesome !

i've had my CT150 for about a month now, and i absolutely love it. no problems what so ever. it gets used everyday, for all of my TV needs. the first thing i did when i received my 47LH90 was turn off my TV's speakers.

the CT500 was supposed to be a nice system, but lacked quality control. from what i read and researched, CT500's were pretty much hit or miss in terms of reliability.
Quote:

just wanted to add something that was already discussed, but i ran across the sony asia site and here is the difference i confirme between the 2 models:

CT150
Subwoofer size 13cm
Subwoofer Unit 1
Front Speaker size for L,R 50 x 90mm Track
Center Speaker Size 50 x 90mm Track

CT350
Subwoofer size 13cm
Subwoofer Unit 1
Front Speaker size for L,R 40 x 70mm Track
Center Speaker Size 4cm
Center Speaker System Bass Reflex

i dont understand this correctly...BUT does that mean the speakers in the CT350 bar are SMALLER than the ones used on the CT150???

that's pretty weird. i was really wondering about the CT350's real specs as well. i was considering moving my CT150, and gettin a CT350 to replace it in my living room.
post #173 of 2113 Old 07-04-2010, 09:07 AM

@houstoned

Thanx for the input. Can you please tell me if having a "small" soundbar is "distracting" when viewing a 47"? i ask coz i plan on getting a 46" in a year and don't want to see bigger pictures with "small sound" if you see what i mean

Anyway please can you also tell me what size is your room (in square meters of possible!)

What are you general opinions regarding the faux surround?
Are the voices crystal clear???

Will you get the CT350? (hoping to hear a comparison)
post #174 of 2113 Old 07-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:

@houstoned

Thanx for the input. Can you please tell me if having a "small" soundbar is "distracting" when viewing a 47"? i ask coz i plan on getting a 46" in a year and don't want to see bigger pictures with "small sound" if you see what i mean

Anyway please can you also tell me what size is your room (in square meters of possible!)

What are you general opinions regarding the faux surround?
Are the voices crystal clear???

Will you get the CT350? (hoping to hear a comparison)

i don't have actual measurements available right now, but i guess i could just post up a few pictures to give u an idea. my living room's floor plan is very open BTW.

*note* that buddha painting is roughly 2 1/2' high by 6' wide just to give u a general idea of my living room's size.

view from my computer desk:

i actually don't mind the smaller bar to bigger TV thing. it's not like the bar is physically attached to the TV, so it's not like it'll look like it's mismatching. if u want optimal sound quality, from any speakers, u'd have to be in the "sweet spot". that "sweet spot" is usually right in front of the speaker, and soundbars are no different. i think a bigger/longer sized bar just helps give a more convincing surround sound effect.

as for my CT150's vocals, they are great. my center is set at +5 (settings go from -6 to +6) and i don't have to really turn up to volume to hear dialogue anymore. i was skeptic at first about the simulated surround sound, but all of that was out the window as soon as my system opened up more (after about a day or 2 of use). i find myself looking around sometimes when i'm watchin movies. i'll hear things behind me and forget that it's coming from just one speaker. honestly, i came from traditional 5.1 systems (had experiences with speakers that range from HTiB to high end martin logans) and wasn't expecting too much out of my CT150. i just wanted a temporary set up til i could plan out another, grander set up, but the CT150 has really got me confused now. it's impressed me so much that i dont know if i want to go back to the traditional set ups.

p.s. - i'm in the same boat as u. i'm waitin for more real info on the CT350 as well
post #175 of 2113 Old 07-04-2010, 11:58 AM

Houstoned,

Can you comment on the bass coming from a traditional HTIB system?

Thanks.
post #176 of 2113 Old 07-04-2010, 02:16 PM

I am interested in the 150... One question, can you control the volume via the TV by using the audio return channel, or is the return channel line-level only? My tv is a Samsung LN4061F, returns available are RCA and optical. Just dont want to have to buy a Logitech remote!!

EDIT: Come to think of it, all my sources are HDMI, so would it be better to run through the woofer to the TV instead?

Thanks,
Dan
post #177 of 2113 Old 07-04-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicM3 View Post

Houstoned,

Can you comment on the bass coming from a traditional HTIB system?

Thanks.

i would compare the CT150's bass to my old 5.1 bose lifestyle 25 system. i haven't had my bose lifestyle 25 system for a while now, but if my memory is correct, the CT150 might even has slightly more bass than the lifestyle 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwallie View Post

I am interested in the 150... One question, can you control the volume via the TV by using the audio return channel, or is the return channel line-level only? My tv is a Samsung LN4061F, returns available are RCA and optical. Just dont want to have to buy a Logitech remote!!

EDIT: Come to think of it, all my sources are HDMI, so would it be better to run through the woofer to the TV instead?

Thanks,
Dan

i'm not sure about the audio return thing, but all of my connections are HDMI (comcast HD cable DVR & PS3) so i have everything connected to my CT150, and then just have 1 HDMI cord going from my CT150 to my TV. i don't even use my TV's remote unless i have to switch picture settings. TV's speakers are off.
post #178 of 2113 Old 07-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Yes i want more info on the 350 as well

if there is no big difference between the two ( and the specs appear there isn't any real difference ) I might go get the 150 and save some money ...
post #179 of 2113 Old 07-05-2010, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a heads up to anyone that still wants the CT350 at a good price. Provantage now has the CT350 in stock instead of special order. It's only gone up a few dollars from last week (literally $5 dollars from when I bought it) and is way cheaper than anyone else online. If you are in the market, this is a great deal. I will be posting a review of the CT350 on Wednesday when I receive mine.
post #180 of 2113 Old 07-05-2010, 12:27 PM

Amazon has the HTCT350 for $310.99 + Free S/H.
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page