Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 2096 Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Very few HDTVs will output 5.1 audio except from the TV's internal tuner, so you would only get 2.0 stereo from the devices connected to the TV. I assume the Direct rcvr. and the Roku have HDMI out. Connect them to the CT150. If the DVD player has HDMI, connect that to the CT150 also. The Wii only has component video, right? If so, connect to TV and then connect audio from Wii directly to the CT150. Or you could connect audio to TV and also run optical out from TV to CT150.

If all of your audio connections go direct to the CT150, you don't need optical out from TV unless you also use OTA or streaming services from the TV.

Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2096 Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 PM

Odd problem popped up this afternoon with my HT-CT150. I've had the unit for about 18 months. No problems at all. I have a Motorola cable box, a Panasonic blu-ray player, and an AppleTV 2 all connected via HDMI to the HT-CT150, and an HDMI out connected to my Samsung UN40B6000 TV.

I went home for lunch and turned on the news, and the TV displayed a "No signal" error on a black screen, no video. The audio was fine, and as I changed channels on the cable box, it would change with the station, but still no picture. I tried the AppleTV and the blu-ray and had the same problem - sound, but no signal and no picture. I tried the following and none fixed the issue:

checked the HDMI cables to make sure they were well seated;
swapped HDMI cables out to see if that was the issue;
checked a couple of the different HDMI inputs on the TV;
toggled the Control HDMI, ARC, and Pass-thru settings on the HT-CT150; and
unplugged and restarted the HT-CT150.

I ran out of time to tinker and had to come back to work. I'm going to unplug everything when I get home, do a cold reset, and reconnect it all in hopes that fixes the picture.

Anyone have any other tips or ideas? I've tried searching and don't see this issue discussed in the thread, though I found some folks in Best Buy & Amazon support threads who seem to have the same issue.
post #1893 of 2096 Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwng View Post

I ran out of time to tinker and had to come back to work. I'm going to unplug everything when I get home, do a cold reset, and reconnect it all in hopes that fixes the picture.

So I tried the cold reset, and even left it unplugged overnight, but still no video. Very frustrating. Now starting to think about repair, or more likely, replacement.
post #1894 of 2096 Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwng View Post

So I tried the cold reset, and even left it unplugged overnight, but still no video. Very frustrating. Now starting to think about repair, or more likely, replacement.

Sorry to hear that. I see you've already tested if it was an HDMI cable. Hopefully, somebody with more knowledge than I will chime in with a fix, but it sounds like it might require service or replacement. Is it still under warranty?
post #1895 of 2096 Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You already have an HDMI connection between the CT150 and your TV. If your TV supports ARC, that connection will send audio FROM the TV to the soundbar. See your manual for how to set ARC to ON for the CT150. If your TV doesn't support ARC, then you need to connect a digital cable (Toslink or coax depending on your TV) from the TV to the CT150. Again, refer to the owner's manual.

I tried both and, unfortunately, I still couldn't get the LG's native Netflix to access sound from the HT-150.

I was frustrated, but then I just stumbled on a post in the thread for my TV (LG 55LW5600) about a technology that LG's use called Simplink, which is their way of interconnecting devices using similar technology. After turning Simplink on and setting it to HT speakers, everything was fine.

I've noticed that other manufacturers use similar types of technology, so, if anyone else has a problem similar to mine, they might give it a go. The problem is I can't recall the user's manual even addressing what Simplink is or how to use it. Maybe it's there, but I browsed through again and didn't find it.

So, again, a huge thanks for your help, which really did help getting me on the right track.
post #1896 of 2096 Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbry39 View Post

After turning Simplink on and setting it to HT speakers, everything was fine.

Guess in the future I shouldn't assume that the settings on the TV side have already been changed. As you noted, each brand has their own name for CEC (also referred to as HDMI-CTL). Simplink, Anynet+, BraviaSync, Viera Link, etc. are all meant to enable communication between devices using HDMI. Sometimes the different brands don't play nice with others, but most of the time they do. Good to learn you got things working for you.
post #1897 of 2096 Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbry39 View Post

Sorry to hear that. I see you've already tested if it was an HDMI cable. Hopefully, somebody with more knowledge than I will chime in with a fix, but it sounds like it might require service or replacement. Is it still under warranty?

Sadly, no. I'll fiddle with it some more tonight, and if I can get it working I'll report back.
post #1898 of 2096 Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 PM

Hello everyone. I have recently bought the CT 150. I have read through all this blog along with other websites and cant seem to find a solution. I am having some slight to moderate audio lag when I watch TV through my satelite. I have played around with the AV setting, turning it on and off, and it isnt helping. My current set up is:

Dish satelite via hdmi to CT150
Blu ray via hdmi to CT150
Xbox 360 via hdmi to CT150
CT150 via hdmi to Samsung TV UN6050

Maybe there is a setting to help with my TV or on the CT150???

I have the most current hdmi's that support all the latest technology. Please advise as this slight delay is driving me crazy. Thank you sooo much in advance!!!!
post #1899 of 2096 Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakanpo View Post

Hello everyone. I have recently bought the CT 150. I have read through all this blog along with other websites and cant seem to find a solution. I am having some slight to moderate audio lag when I watch TV through my satelite. I have played around with the AV setting, turning it on and off, and it isnt helping. My current set up is:

Dish satelite via hdmi to CT150
Blu ray via hdmi to CT150
Xbox 360 via hdmi to CT150
CT150 via hdmi to Samsung TV UN6050

Maybe there is a setting to help with my TV or on the CT150???

I have the most current hdmi's that support all the latest technology. Please advise as this slight delay is driving me crazy. Thank you sooo much in advance!!!!

Have you tried playing around with the AV Synch settings on your TV or through the CT 150? It sounds like a processing problem where it's taking longer to get the audio signal out than the video signal.

Just in case, you might also want to update the firmware for your TV.

I'm no expert, but, as no one had answered, I thought I'd give it a shot.
post #1900 of 2096 Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM

I need major help. I just bought the HT-CT150 to use with a Samsung UN55D6000 (both from Best Buy) and I am so lost on how to get it to work. I figured it was easy and I have ok understanding of tech, but boy was I wrong

I tried...

Option 1
cable box --> tv hdmi 1
sub tv out --> tv hdmi 2(arc)

Get no sound when I turn sub on, but sound through TV speakers when I turn sub off

Option 2
cable box --> sub sat/catv
sub tv out --> tv hdmi1

Got no sound and it took the TV's video a couple minutes to show

I noticed that when I try change the volume while either option is used, it is jumpy and the volume is linked to Anynet+

Anyone able to tell me how I should hook this up? All I have is a HD Cable Box, the HT-CT150, and the D6000
post #1901 of 2096 Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Gman, I replied to your PM. If you need further help, just post here.
post #1902 of 2096 Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 PM

I have 4 devices that i want to connect to my tv and the sound bar. I am wondering which setup would be ideal. I am connecting a cable hd-dvr box, ps3, xbox 360 and apple tv2. My sony 46hx929 has 4 hdmi inputs one of which is ARC. The ct150 has 3 hdmi inputs. These are the options

1) cable box, ps3, xbox, atv2-->tv via hdmi, tv--->receiver via optical
2) cable box, ps3, xbox-->tv hdmi, tv--->receiver via ARC hdmi, atv2--->receiver
or 3) cable box, ps3, xbox-->receiver hdmi, receiver--->tv via hdmi ARC, atv2--->tv hdmi for video, atv2--->receiver optical for audio.

Which setup would be ideal? Would connecting gaming consoles to the ct150 directly cause input lag?
post #1903 of 2096 Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 PM

Only thing worse than the forum poster who never follows up is the forum poster who responds to their own post with "I fixed it!" without telling you how.

Anyway, I just got a PM about my sound but no video problem and I'm afraid to report I couldn't get it fixed. The CT150 was out of warranty, and the Sony website quoted $150 for the repair, plus shipping costs (tried reaching them by phone, no help).

I ended up finding a great deal on a Polk 6000 at Newegg, and while I miss the HDMI pass-thru, I'm very happy with the new soundbar.
post #1904 of 2096 Old 04-16-2012, 03:48 PM

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread but has some quick questions. I am totally new to the board and sound bars in general. I recently picked up the CT-150 and wanted to ask you all some questions

I have all my devices (PS3, XBOX 360) connected via HDMI to the sub. I than have the TV connected to the sub as well via HDMI (I have a Sony Bravia with ARC on the 1 of the HDMI slots)

My question is, do I still need to use the optical cable that came with the soundbar (I assume not unless I am connecting a device to the sub that isn't using a HDMI).

Last question, I can control the sub with my TV remote since it has Bravia Sync (I have a 40ex700 model) but the volume that shows up on the TV is twice that of whats on the sub.

For example, say I have the sub volume level at 12, but on my TV, it says 24. Any reason why that is and/or if there is a fix for this?

Thanks in advance!
post #1905 of 2096 Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasicc View Post

My question is, do I still need to use the optical cable that came with the soundbar (I assume not unless I am connecting a device to the sub that isn't using a HDMI).

You don't need the optical cable with your current set up.

Quote:

Last question, I can control the sub with my TV remote since it has Bravia Sync (I have a 40ex700 model) but the volume that shows up on the TV is twice that of whats on the sub.

For example, say I have the sub volume level at 12, but on my TV, it says 24. Any reason why that is and/or if there is a fix for this?

I don't know if there's a say to sync the display. On my Panny all I had to do was set the audio for "home theater" and it turned off the level number display for its own volume control.
post #1906 of 2096 Old 04-16-2012, 06:19 PM

Thanks Possumgirl. Appreciate your help.
post #1907 of 2096 Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 AM
VFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasicc View Post

........ Last question, I can control the sub with my TV remote since it has Bravia Sync (I have a 40ex700 model) but the volume that shows up on the TV is twice that of whats on the sub.

I have a CT-150 hooked to a Sharp 3D TV, Comcast HD box, PS3, and Panasonic BT-210; all via HDMI (no other cables). No fix for the doubling of the volume level reference number. In my mind, the sound is at least twice as loud, so I'm ok with the doubling of the volume number....
post #1908 of 2096 Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post

I have a CT-150 hooked to a Sharp 3D TV, Comcast HD box, PS3, and Panasonic BT-210; all via HDMI (no other cables). No fix for the doubling of the volume level reference number. In my mind, the sound is at least twice as loud, so I'm ok with the doubling of the volume number....

With your sharp tv, does your CT-150 turn on and off when you turn your tv on and off?
post #1909 of 2096 Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 AM
VFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg. View Post

With your sharp tv, does your CT-150 turn on and off when you turn your tv on and off?

Yes.
post #1910 of 2096 Old 05-05-2012, 04:46 PM

I just ordered the CT150. While I'm waiting for it to arrive, I have some questions about what to expect in regards to the connections. I am totally new to soundbars.

My entertainment setup is currently pretty simple. I have a 50" HDTV with a cable box and blu-ray player connected to it.

With the CT150, will I have the option to connect all of my components in a way so that I can continue to do my video switching on the TV instead of through the sound bar? What are the advantages/disadvantages of switching through the TV vs. the sound bar anyway?

Also, will it be easy to switch between using the TV speakers and the soundbar? Does that depend on how all of my components (TV, cable box, blu-ray, soundbar) are connected together?

And lastly, I haven't been able to find any recommendation regarding size of the soundbar vs. size of the TV. Does it matter? The CT150 is 32" long while my TV is 50" (diagonally).
post #1911 of 2096 Old 05-05-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The answer partly depends on your TV. Most HDTVs do not output 5.1 audio from devices connected to the TV. They downmix to 2.0 stereo. For that reason, it is usually preferred to connect your devices directly to the CT150 and use that as your video switcher. The only disadvantage to that is that you can't have different picture settings for different devices if that is something you currently do.

The CT150 has standby pass through, meaning you can use the TV speakers by leaving the soundbar turned off (standby).

And no, in this case, size doesn't matter.
post #1912 of 2096 Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 PM

By passing on video signals through the soundbar unit, is there any difference in video quality compared to running the video directly to the TV?

Also, when the soundbar is on, does audio still get sent to the TV? In other words, would I have to mute the sound on the TV?
post #1913 of 2096 Old 05-05-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan6 View Post

By passing on video signals through the soundbar unit, is there any difference in video quality compared to running the video directly to the TV?

There shouldn't be any difference in PQ. Most soundbars, including the Sony CTs, don't do any video processing, just pass through.

Quote:

Also, when the soundbar is on, does audio still get sent to the TV? In other words, would I have to mute the sound on the TV?

If your TV has HDMI-CTL (CEC), enable it and set audio out to "home theater". The CT150 will mute the TV speakers when it is turned on. If you turn the CT150 off, audio returns to the TV. That's the standby pass through function in action.
post #1914 of 2096 Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:

There shouldn't be any difference in PQ. Most soundbars, including the Sony CTs, don't do any video processing, just pass through.

If your TV has HDMI-CTL (CEC), enable it and set audio out to "home theater". The CT150 will mute the TV speakers when it is turned on. If you turn the CT150 off, audio returns to the TV. That's the standby pass through function in action.

I have a Mitsubishi DLP with the Sony CT-150. I like the idea of being able to switch from soundbar to TV speakers just by turning the Sony off--but if I connect my DirecTV HD receiver to the soundbar, won't I have to have the soundbar on to get the video satellite signal through to the TV?
post #1915 of 2096 Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 PM

How does the soundbar system sound with a regular TV program (network sitcom, news) that doesn't broadcast in 5.1? Will the soundbar still attempt the faux-surround, or does the audio essentially become just standard stereo?

Also, is there a control on the CT150 to toggle between the faux-surround and standard stereo?
post #1916 of 2096 Old 05-05-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McM View Post

I have a Mitsubishi DLP with the Sony CT-150. I like the idea of being able to switch from soundbar to TV speakers just by turning the Sony off--but if I connect my DirecTV HD receiver to the soundbar, won't I have to have the soundbar on to get the video satellite signal through to the TV?

From the Sony web site for the CT150:
"Standby pass-through of Audio & Video
Conveniently access all your HDMI® connected devices without having to power on the receiver."
post #1917 of 2096 Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Okay--try as I might, I cannot get my Sony CT-150 to process any sound from my satellite receiver. The pass-thru allows me to get video and audio thru the TV speakers as normal, but will not go to the soundbar when unit is turned on.
post #1918 of 2096 Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McM View Post

Okay--try as I might, I cannot get my Sony CT-150 to process any sound from my satellite receiver. The pass-thru allows me to get video and audio thru the TV speakers as normal, but will not go to the soundbar when unit is turned on.

Got it figured out. It was the whole video switching thru the receiver that confused me.
post #1919 of 2096 Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 PM

I just bought an Oppo Bdp 93 to pair with my 350. When using my PS3 I correctly get (as an example) a 7.1 on the amp display with the DTS track on Tron Legacy. Everything is fine. With the Oppo I have both the soundbar and Oppo set to LPCM and the sondbar displays the Dolby Pro Logic II symbol but only 2.0 and sounds much worse. Both the Oppo and PS3 are directly connected to the 350 via HDMI. Any ideas?
post #1920 of 2096 Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 PM

I must say their (Oppos) service is top notch. After testing and finding their assumptions to be correct they then assumed the player was handshaking with the tv and not the amp, so they wanted me to look for an hdmi option that would have it handshake the amp. Buried is SONYs own CEC that only works with their products and is called Control for HDMI. I disabled this and everything is working great. I'm so happy now
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page