Sony HT-CT150 and CT350 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2096 Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking about purchasing the HTCT350, but was a little concern about what the lone Amazon reviewer had to say about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2096 Old 07-05-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4poe View Post

I was thinking about purchasing the HTCT350, but was a little concern about what the lone Amazon reviewer had to say about it.

I noticed that review a few minutes ago. It definitely bugs me especially with the reviewer stating he has owned a CT100. I noticed the CT150 has received really good reviews on amazon so hopefully this one review is a fluke on the CT350. In theory the CT350 should be better than the CT150 by all accounts but it definitely has me worried. Oh well, I can't do anything about it as mine is going to be here in 2 days. I guess if it stinks, my zvox 425 will win and craigslist will have a mint CT350 up for sale, lol . Seriously though, I really hope the CT350 turns out good.
post #183 of 2096 Old 07-05-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Just a heads up to anyone that still wants the CT350 at a good price. Provantage now has the CT350 in stock instead of special order. It's only gone up a few dollars from last week (literally $5 dollars from when I bought it) and is way cheaper than anyone else online. If you are in the market, this is a great deal. I will be posting a review of the CT350 on Wednesday when I receive mine.

i'm really looking forward to hearing from u.

quick question: how big is the room the CT350 will be in and what sources will u be using?

and please don't do the review til at least early friday! the system will need a little time to fully open up.
post #184 of 2096 Old 07-05-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoned View Post

i'm really looking forward to hearing from u.

quick question: how big is the room the CT350 will be in and what sources will u be using?

and please don't do the review til at least early friday! the system will need a little time to fully open up.

It will be set up in a medium sized room. I don't know the exact dimensions but I will check. I will be connecting a Uverse box, PS3, XBOX 360, and an upconverting dvd player.

I will keep that in mind in regards to the review .

I am hoping for similar performance compared to the CT500 but that review on Amazon definitely worries me. Then again the CT100 got quite a few mixed reviews on Amazon, yet it was a great system especially for the price.
post #185 of 2096 Old 07-05-2010, 06:49 PM

of course if you want the complete opposite review, just look over at New Egg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...68&Tpk=htct350

That reviewer gave it 5 stars. They claim to have owned a previous Sony system.
post #186 of 2096 Old 07-05-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I am hoping for similar performance compared to the CT500 but that review on Amazon definitely worries me. Then again the CT100 got quite a few mixed reviews on Amazon, yet it was a great system especially for the price.

YOTR,,,,, my CT-150 sounds much better than my past CT-100,,,, and at the very least as good as my CT-500,,,,, I see no reason for the CT-350 to not sound at least as good as or better than the CT-150,,,,,,,,, hope that all made sense YOTR.

Cheers
Davyo
post #187 of 2096 Old 07-05-2010, 09:10 PM

For those who are considering the CT-350, are there other sound bars on your list? I don't know if I should go ahead and purchase the CT-350 or wait for the Panasonic SC-HTB500 or Vizio VHT512. Any advice wold be greatly appreciated.
post #188 of 2096 Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4poe View Post

For those who are considering the CT-350, are there other sound bars on your list? I don't know if I should go ahead and purchase the CT-350 or wait for the Panasonic SC-HTB500 or Vizio VHT512. Any advice wold be greatly appreciated.

Best advice is go for the bar that has the features you need or want.

For me,,, as much as I like the Sony CT's and the Yamaha YSP's, I am more interested in the new'er soon to be released Vizio's.

I have the VHT510 on pre-order and staring at the calender for it to ship,,, reason I picked the 510 as the bar I will most likely settle on is the wireless sub, rear wireless speakers (that need to be hooked to the sub) true 5.1 surround, ease of use, no menus to go thru to change settings, wireless headphone sync with the Vizio headphones and a few other reasons.

I cant/wont comment on the Panasonic as I have not heard it or even seen it yet,,, as far as the Sony CT's they are pretty darn good,,, and if you need the HDMI connectivity then the CT's are a no-brainer.

I prefure to use my 55" Vizio LED panel as my HDMI switcher and as far as hook-up will be running an optical from my BluRay to the Vizio bar and then the RCA out from my panel to the Vizio bar,,,,, only reason I will be running optical out to the bar from my panel is I dont think my Vizio panel will pass true 5.1 thru its optical out so taking the optical out from my BD player directly to the Vizio bar will keep everything 5.1.

Hope that helped a bit.

Cheers
Davyo
post #189 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all...just forget about that amazon review of the CT350. One opinion is worthless....and even the best products in the world won't appeal to all.
LOTR is definatly the one to trust and we are all waiting for the review.

@houstoned thanx for the pictures (very nice place BTW!!) that ROOM is BIG man!!! i can't believe that such a small soundbar can fill it up!!! My room will be 50% smaller (at least!) so i guess going for the CT350 is not an option.....

@daveyo: is it possible that the fact that the CT350 is longer, means that the surround will be better coz if will produce sounds at a wider range? it should be logical but still.....
post #190 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

@daveyo: is it possible that the fact that the CT350 is longer, means that the surround will be better coz if will produce sounds at a wider range? it should be logical but still.....

Interesting question as I had kinda wondered about that myself,,, but I guess I came to the opinion or guess that the wider bar of the 350 would not really make a difference as the bar is only 8" wider than the 150's bar,,,, meaning only 4 inches on each side,,,, I dont think 4 inches would make a big difference unless its with a girlfriend or a wife.

Cheers
Davyo
post #191 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 AM

It bemuses me that Sony makes a nice product and messes up the looks when it upgrades. CT 100 looks sleek, CT 150 looks cheap.
Silky mesh - scared to touch it.
However it does what it is supposed to much better than others ...
post #192 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsan View Post

It bemuses me that Sony makes a nice product and messes up the looks when it upgrades. CT 100 looks sleek, CT 150 looks cheap.

Agreed,,,, the CT-100 bar looks much cooler than the CT-150 bar,,,, and the cool ass pin cable that was on the CT-100 was replaced by that dumbass speaker clip cable thats on the CT-500, CT-150 and the CT-350.

Whom-ever it is at Sony that makes these stupid choices should be made to commit Hari Kari.

Cheers
Davyo
post #193 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 05:59 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Agreed,,,, the CT-100 bar looks much cooler than the CT-150 bar,,,, and the cool ass pin cable that was on the CT-100 was replaced by that dumbass speaker clip cable thats on the CT-500, CT-150 and the CT-350.

Whom-ever it is at Sony that makes these stupid choices should be made to commit Hari Kari.

Cheers
Davyo

It's actually a better feature than the DB9 cable. The three speaker clip cables are replaceable, so users can extend it easily, connect it to their existing in-wall wiring, etc... Not to mention the DB9 cable is permanently attached to the sound bar so if anything goes wrong, you're SOL.
post #194 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

YOTR,,,,, my CT-150 sounds much better than my past CT-100,,,, and at the very least as good as my CT-500,,,,, I see no reason for the CT-350 to not sound at least as good as or better than the CT-150,,,,,,,,, hope that all made sense YOTR.

Cheers
Davyo

That's what I was thinking to. I can't imagine the CT150 or CT350 sounding horrible but it did bother me that he stated he has owned the CT100. At the same time though, there are quite a few great reviews on the CT150 on Amazon and other sites already. Hopefully it's just a fluke .
post #195 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Hi all...just forget about that amazon review of the CT350. One opinion is worthless....and even the best products in the world won't appeal to all.
LOTR is definatly the one to trust and we are all waiting for the review.

@houstoned thanx for the pictures (very nice place BTW!!) that ROOM is BIG man!!! i can't believe that such a small soundbar can fill it up!!! My room will be 50% smaller (at least!) so i guess going for the CT350 is not an option.....

thanks man. trust me, i was surprised myself at how well this little thing filled up my big, open living room.

as for the longer sized bar thing, i've read from a few different sources that a longer sized bar helps the surround sound effect by engulfing u in the sound more. i guess it makes sense. i might just buy a CT350 and compare it myself lol. hurry up daveyo or YOTR before i waste more moneyzzz!
post #196 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly that's what bugged me when I saw it at best buy. The CT350's soundbar is different and looks quite a bit better in pictures compared to the CT150. As long as the sound is good though, I will be happy either way.
post #197 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post

It's actually a better feature than the DB9 cable. The three speaker clip cables are replaceable, so users can extend it easily, connect it to their existing in-wall wiring, etc... Not to mention the DB9 cable is permanently attached to the sound bar so if anything goes wrong, you're SOL.

Actually with the DB9 cable its easier to extend than with the speaker clips,, ya just go to Radio Shack and pick up an extension cable and plug it in.

When I had my CT-500 I needed to extend the cables and while it was not a big deal I much would have rather just picked up an extension DB cable.

As far as connecting a CT-XXX to existing in-wall wiring,,,, if you could explain why some one would want to do that with a CT-XXX system I would love to hear how that would work and what would be the reason to even do that,,,,, besides, I think some one that has in-wall wiring is not going to be buying a Sony CT,,,, people that are doing in-wall wiring are usually going a bit more high end.

Cheers
Davyo
post #198 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 AM

@houstoned getting the CT350 won't hurt you man
as for daveyo, he has no intention of getting one all is up to LOTR now.
it's true that the amazon review states that the CT100 = CT350.
Yet daveyo is 100% sure that the CT150 is a huge improvement over the CT100....
so who to trust really?? my guess: DAVEYO...and LOTR soon
post #199 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@houstoned getting the CT350 won't hurt you man
as for daveyo, he has no intention of getting one all is up to LOTR now.
it's true that the amazon review states that the CT100 = CT350.
Yet daveyo is 100% sure that the CT150 is a huge improvement over the CT100....
so who to trust really?? my guess: DAVEYO...and LOTR soon

True,, I dont have any plans on getting the 350 and to be honest Im tring to decide on if to return my CT-150 or not,,, I did get a great price on it from Amazon and if the Vizio VHT510 sucks (dont think it will) then I still have the CT-150 to go back to.

But,,,,if I dont return the CT-150 soon, my return window will close, and if the Vizio rocks I will have no need for the 150,,,,, geeze,, what to do.

Ohhh,,, the correct spelling is DAVYO,,,,

Cheers
Davyo
post #200 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM

mate just keep the CT150...in the worst case you could sell it here for 199$
besides it's the best sony soundbar according to you so...
post #201 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

mate just keep the CT150...in the worst case you could sell it here for 199$
besides it's the best sony soundbar according to you so...

Well,,, the best of the Sonys I have owned so far,,, but I have not owned or heard the CT-350,,, me thinks that will be the best of the bunch.

Cheers
Davyo
post #202 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 AM

ha ha Davyo, I remember somebody called you the kind of sound bars. I am sure you can keep both sony and vizio..
post #203 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
The width of the soundbar should have absolutely zero affect on 5.1 sound.

Does the soundbar in question do true 5.1 or simulated surround. Most do only simulated.

If the soundbar in question does handle 5.1 does it do this discretely with a single channel for each speaker. Yamaha uses phase shift in its sound projectors to create the affect of simulated surround even when being fed a true 5.1 signal.

Going back to true stereo sources, the best soundstages were often presented by speakers with the narrowest front profile. A major exception to this were line source type speakers such as Quad electrostatic panels or Apogee ribbon speakers.

If the electronics and speakers were configured correctly you could should be able to get excellent 5.1 with at least an illusion of partial surround from a bar 10-12 inches wide and only a couple of inches in height.

It is the engineering and design that will determine how well any of this is accomplished. I have owned units from Yamaha, Sony and Vizio and each had its pluses and minuses. Neither size nor dollars spent guaranty quality engineering and manufacturing. I'm not sure if Sony is manufacturing their own audio equipment or if they are purchasing from other suppliers manufactured to their specifications. I previously owned a CT-100 with zero technical problems but do remember quite a few people had issues with CT-500 and a few with CT-100 units when they were new last year.

Unfortunately I don't see anything that sounds out of place with the review on Amazon of the CT-350. Looking at the specs, I am not sure that there is a lot to be gained in moving from the CT-150 to the CT-350.

I am considering trying the CT-150 in my system as this really sounds like a superior product.

David Freeman
post #204 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

The width of the soundbar should have absolutely zero affect on 5.1 sound.

Does the soundbar in question do true 5.1 or simulated surround. Most do only simulated.

If the soundbar in question does handle 5.1 does it do this discretely with a single channel for each speaker. Yamaha uses phase shift in its sound projectors to create the affect of simulated surround even when being fed a true 5.1 signal.

Going back to true stereo sources, the best soundstages were often presented by speakers with the narrowest front profile. A major exception to this were line source type speakers such as Quad electrostatic panels or Apogee ribbon speakers.

If the electronics and speakers were configured correctly you could should be able to get excellent 5.1 with at least an illusion of partial surround from a bar 10-12 inches wide and only a couple of inches in height.

It is the engineering and design that will determine how well any of this is accomplished. I have owned units from Yamaha, Sony and Vizio and each had its pluses and minuses. Neither size nor dollars spent guaranty quality engineering and manufacturing. I'm not sure if Sony is manufacturing their own audio equipment or if they are purchasing from other suppliers manufactured to their specifications. I previously owned a CT-100 with zero technical problems but do remember quite a few people had issues with CT-500 and a few with CT-100 units when they were new last year.

Unfortunately I don't see anything that sounds out of place with the review on Amazon of the CT-350. Looking at the specs, I am not sure that there is a lot to be gained in moving from the CT-150 to the CT-350.

I am considering trying the CT-150 in my system as this really sounds like a superior product.

I admit my main reasoning for getting the CT350 over the CT150 is that the look/build quality seems to be quite a bit better for the soundbar itself. If you look at the pictures of both soundbars, they look very different. It also doesn't hurt that I payed only a little more than the the normal cost of the CT150 which made it a no brainer in my book. Now if I had payed $400 plus tax for it in the store, I imagine I would be a little disappointed.

I remember when I purchased the CT500. It was a good system but no were near worth $500 (should have been $350 at most).

I payed $314 shipped from provantage so hopefully I will still be impressed with it. I admit though, I am somewhat concerned at this point.
post #205 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:

I admit my main reasoning for getting the CT350 over the CT150 is that the look/build quality seems to be quite a bit better for the soundbar itself. If you look at the pictures of both soundbars, they look very different. It also doesn't hurt that I payed only a little more than the the normal cost of the CT150 which made it a no brainer in my book. Now if I had payed $400 plus tax for it in the store, I imagine I would be a little disappointed.

I remember when I purchased the CT500. It was a good system but no were near worth $500 (should have been $350 at most).

I payed $314 shipped from provantage so hopefully I will still be impressed with it. I admit though, I am somewhat concerned at this point.

Just picked up a 350 at a local BB - 10% of coupon + $15 reward certificate $200 in fathers day gift cards so I took it home for around $160. I went
the soundbar route for WAF - we re-did our living room and a traditional 5.1 setup would be difficult to pull off aesthetically. This is a 12 X 18 room with the TV against the short wall facing the couch + a large picture window.

They had the 150 on display at the store. As far as I can tell the bars are identical as far as build quality. Heavy plastic with a thin cloth cover. Doesn't bother me, though, as mine is sitting on top of an entertainment center out of reach of the kids.

Hooked it all up last night - I picked this soundbar by brand because I have a new Sony EX400 LCD and was hoping to simplify my remote situation with the "Bravia Sync" feature with the TV. This feature is functional but somewhat disappointing. The TV will automatically turn on/off the soundbar based on the "TV speakers" setting and has integrated volume control, but that's about it. The HDMI inputs are not automatically detected for non-sony products (like my FIOS box and XBox360). I guess I'll be purchasing another Harmony for this purpose.

I'll report back more after break-in.

-Colin

My Humble but functional HTPC:
nMediaPC 1000B w/VCD
Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H, integrated ATI 4250 Graphics
Athlon II X3 Rana , 3.2 GHz
4GB Ram, 1.5TB WDEARS, Windows 7 32 bit

XBox GamerTag "ZhuAn"
post #206 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:

ha ha Davyo, I remember somebody called you the kind of sound bars. I am sure you can keep both sony and vizio..

Correction:: I meant the king of soundbars
post #207 of 2096 Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Actually with the DB9 cable its easier to extend than with the speaker clips,, ya just go to Radio Shack and pick up an extension cable and plug it in.

When I had my CT-500 I needed to extend the cables and while it was not a big deal I much would have rather just picked up an extension DB cable.

As far as connecting a CT-XXX to existing in-wall wiring,,,, if you could explain why some one would want to do that with a CT-XXX system I would love to hear how that would work and what would be the reason to even do that,,,,, besides, I think some one that has in-wall wiring is not going to be buying a Sony CT,,,, people that are doing in-wall wiring are usually going a bit more high end.

Cheers
Davyo

You don't have to spend a lot of money to make things look good. All it takes for in-wall wiring is a cheap smurf tube and some time. Wife approval factor would be the big thing though .
post #208 of 2096 Old 07-07-2010, 01:51 AM

@drfreeman60 thanx for the useful input. I do hope you get a CT350 so you can tell us if the extra money will be worth it.

As a personal opinion i thing the only reason the CT350 will be better is regarding the sub. 100w vs 75w of the CT150.
is a 75w subwoofer good enough for a soundbar system?? don't know.
oh well LOTR will get his soon so...
post #209 of 2096 Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correction:: I meant the king of soundbars

I knew what you meant,,, but I am "kind" to soundbars as well.

As far as your comment/suggestion about keeping both the Sony and the Vizio, I am thinking about it,,, but then again I might end up getting both Vizio's (VHT510 and the VHT210) and keeping both those,,,, the Sony would be one bar to many.

Cheers
Davyo
post #210 of 2096 Old 07-07-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_moe View Post

nenito2k, do you live in Canada?
if yes, you can order it from "the nerds"
i had ordered and received
it is an awesome unit

Low_Moe,

Did you have to pay duty/taxes on your purchase? I'll be ordering from Toronto.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page